• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I feel like the context is pretty plain and clear. No GTS. Add that to the stream previews, the 400ish dex, the iffy animations, the confusing background battle backgrounds, and all the other stuff we're finding out...what kind of response were you thinking of getting? When I saw the hashtag on twitter trending I honestly wasn't sure if it was gonna be sarcastic or not given the hostility between fans.

Also, not to play this card but how many political threads are there in OffTopic that have the first page littered with 'Fuck Trump' posts and literally nothing else? Like, why aren't those considered drive-by posts?

I don't really see anything changing within the fandom at any point. The game is about to come out, and I highly doubt we're gonna see anything that could sway some good faith toward the franchise. At least for me. I only got the game for $30 and I feel like that's a fair price for what I've seen. At least it's a fair enough price for me to play for a few hours and get bored. At least I didn't shell otu 60$ like Lets Go

Ok I kinda agree with this. More than ever the games have more reason for criticism, but I don't feel like the positives should be ignored either. You're right in that these don't /really/ seem like 60$ games

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Fishes on a bridge. Gets a field background
Or basically
3TVXd3F.png
Lol yeah I noticed that, I was just looking if anything was wrong with Chinchou.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak is flat out releasing an unfinished game people.

pop3akns.gif

The benefit of the doubt phase should be over. They should be criticized as harshly as Bethesda or EA for this.

Early X360/PS3 open world didn't have this kind of shit. Pretty damn embarassing to see a big mainline Pokémon game in 2019 do this.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Has pokemon lets go pickachu/eveee been hacked? Im very interested in if there will be tons of hacks and cheats in the first few months of sword and shield. previous pokemon games players had pokemon with moves they arent supposed to have or day 1 perfect pokemon on day 1 with all the best moves and such.

It would suck to be having to farm raids to get good pokemon and others just hack their device with no fear of getting banned.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Doesn't matter to me because I've never traded in previous games, so I'm not used to any trading system. I'm sure whatever they're using works well.

Change is good, especially in games that generally have archaic systems for things. The online functionality I've read about so far has been pretty impressive.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
SW/SH are getting to Fallout76 levels of bad press. Sheesh. This game needs to bomb (it won't) so GF will wake the fuck up. Either that or the Pokemon license needs to be moved to a different developer.
Incoming Masuda messsage "pokemon trading online isn't important and you don't need them all since a party is made up of 6, so we took it out"

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Could an explanation of what GTS is and why it's central to Pokemon be added to the OP please?

The GTS or "Global Trade System" was an online Pokemon Market Place where you could upload Pokemon and ask for a specific Pokemon for a trade.

C6-HvpeU4AE92SE.jpg

Any player would be able to see your post and check their collection to find if they have a Pokemon that meets your criteria,

303163a93f7220368da7b25802399c8538011fdf_hq.jpg

if they did, they could upload it and both Pokemon were traded, even if you were offline at the moment.

As soon as you logged back, your new Pokemon was added to you box and you could now upload a new one.

It was a BIG part of Pokemon trading and Dex Completing. Now gone...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Either that or the Pokemon license needs to be moved to a different developer.

No matter how questionable the games get this will never make sense. Its their game so its as nonsensical as like asking Square to give Final Fantasy to someone else because FF13 was disappointing or after XV's clear development issues. Comparing it to Fallout76 is ridiculous since that game was completely bug ridden and broken with nothing to do in it, and still you can't really tell them to hand over the Fallout IP.

And that's even under the assumption that these games will tank financially and critically, which there's a pretty low chance.

Oct 26, 2017
The GTS or "Global Trade System" was an online Pokemon Market Place where you could upload Pokemon and ask for a specific Pokemon for a trade.

C6-HvpeU4AE92SE.jpg

Any player would be able to see your post and check their collection to find if they have a Pokemon that meets your criteria,

303163a93f7220368da7b25802399c8538011fdf_hq.jpg

if they did, they could upload it and both Pokemon were traded, even if you were offline at the moment.

As soon as you logged back, your new Pokemon was added to you box and you could now upload a new one.
Thank you!

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
No I'm just saying that the leaks people are focusing on tend to be negative because they're pushing the narrative that has been building for a while.

Take people focusing on the Link Code element of this. We know that you can connect easily through the Y-Comm.
Or perhaps the negatives simply outweigh the positives for many of us? It's not even the same negatives between everyone. I don't care whatsoever that EXP Share can't be disabled, but plenty of others do. Some don't care about the cut Pokemon and the cut GTS, but to me they're complete deal breakers. I think the graphic issues are laughably bad, but would never have let them keep me from getting the game - for others though that has pushed them to reconsider. Others yet just want a meaty game and are let down by the limited end game. A large majority of the positives tend to be small QOL changes that, while nice, simply do not outweigh the stronger negatives some of us feel are present.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
SW/SH are getting to Fallout76 levels of bad press. Sheesh. This game needs to bomb (it won't) so GF will wake the fuck up. Either that or the Pokemon license needs to be moved to a different developer.
Incoming Masuda messsage "pokemon trading online isn't important and you don't need them all since a party is made up of 6, so we took it out"
"Not many people used it, so we asked ourselves what the people who did use it were trying to do. Well, they're trying to exchange one specific Pokemon for another specific Pokemon without planning out a trade with someone beforehand, which you can still do with Wonder Trade. It just may take more trades until you get what you want."

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Couldn't online trading just be called something else.?
Yes I'm potentially in deep denial.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Or perhaps the negatives simply outweigh the positives for many of us? It's not even the same negatives between everyone. I don't care whatsoever that EXP Share can't be disabled, but plenty of others do. Some don't care about the cut Pokemon and the cut GTS, but to me they're complete deal breakers. I think the graphic issues are laughably bad, but would never have let them keep me from getting the game - for others though that has pushed them to reconsider. Others yet just want a meaty game and are let down by the limited end game. A large majority of the positives tend to be small QOL changes that, while nice, simply do not outweigh the stronger negatives some of us feel are present.

In my case it was the dex and the fact that TM's

a) Are back to being 1 use only
b) Now have to be grinded in raids so you have to pray to the RNG gods that they give you the move TM you want for your build

Oh but it is called something else!

Pokemon HOME. $5 /month + taxes. Thank you.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Posting
pokemon threads continue to be fucking pathetic

some of you nerds should be ashamed lol

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I thought about creating a thread about this but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the whole picture - why is this level of hatred directed to gamefreak and not Nintendo/Pokémon company (not sure how they decide, frankly) for their deadlines? This could be a naive question, and I do know they've given reasons for the cut Pokémon unrelated to "we didn't have time," but then again, I doubt they could freely blame that issue on their publisher.

as for the GTS - well, it sucks, but I sure hope the trading model ain't like Let's Go's.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
So much concern trolling over the hashtag use. It's not "cruel" to be sarcastic towards a company that makes millions off the most lucrative media franchise in the world. It's not "cruel" to complain that a game series's features and content are regressing while the games now cost $60 compared to the $40 they used to. Saying #ThankYouGameFreak over something like this is not the equivalent of finding a Game Freak employee and rubbing their nose in harassment. It's an extremely mild way of expressing discontent in the grand scheme of things, so just because y'all SAY it's cruel to the devs doesn't make it so. It's directed at the company, which is not, in fact, your friend. Not to say that cruelty towards the devs hasn't happened and that it shouldn't be condemned when it does happen, but save it for when that's actually happening.
It's even worse. Gamefreak has profit sharing with TPC, Creatures inc, and Nintendo. They've made billions by now for sure.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Online trading still exists in the game.

What's gone is the GTS, where you put in a Pokémon, say what you're requesting and others can look for that Pokémon and give you what you want.

Oct 28, 2019
I thought about creating a thread about this but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the whole picture - why is this level of hatred directed to gamefreak and not Nintendo/Pokémon company (not sure how they decide, frankly) for their deadlines? This could be a naive question, and I do know they've given reasons for the cut Pokémon unrelated to "we didn't have time," but then again, I doubt they could freely blame that issue on their publisher.

I've definitely seen more of the sentiment that these games were unreasonably time constrained in development the past week. There's definitely some egregious examples for it in the game. I think everyone agrees at this point the yearly schedule is unsustainable.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
No need to take it away from gamefreak, just use a good director for next games. They have one.

I wish they'd let Morimoto direct again. It seems weird. HGSS are pretty beloved, and sold well. The only real reason I can think of as to why we never saw him direct another entry is because he doesn't want to.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Can someone explain the significance of this to a Pokémon outsider? Also, what was all the fuss about certain Pokémon not being in the game?

the game has graphics from two gens ago, and seems to have numerous online features cut. Every Pokémon game since gen 2 had all the Pokémon available through transfer. This one does not, cutting the roster to 400ish

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not so easy to just walk away. I grew up with this series. I still regularly replay previous games. It's just the mainline games that have been letting me down the last few years. And the frustrating part is I know how much better the games could be if the developer behind it had the time and ability to make them shine.

Oh, and I don't see people telling others to 'just invest in something else' when franchises like Mass Effect or Dragon Age have struggles. It's another dismissal that seems fairly unique to the Pokemon fanbase.
I literally bought a Switch Lite just to play this game online, since my OG Switch is homebrewed. I was thinking I would be able to enjoy the GTS without having to worry about getting banned... Well, that certainly won't happen now, for better or worse.

Why would Game Freak not even say in advance that the GTS is gone? Are they seriously expecting people to find out after buying the game? I have absolutely no faith in reviewers mentioning all these cuts, since they are not going to impact them in a meaningful way. The GTS, for example, wouldn't have been available during the review period, so it won't warrant a mention. Even a passing one at that...

I don't understand this logic. Why is it wrong for people to expect more from a franchise they love? All criticism leveraged against this game seems to be countered by "it's actually the fans who are at fault".
I think of the employees too but those "fans" are not the ones who asked for a new game every fucking year. We got SM in 2016, USUM in 17, LG in 18 and now this. Would have been simpler if we got initially a SM port, Eclipse instead of USUM in 3DS and now got a more complete game. Also I'm not really asking for more work, I just disagree with their priorities. I love the QoL changes they introduce but when it comes to main features like camp, playing with Pokemon, char cosmetics, dynamax I'm like wtf who even asked for those.

I agree with all of these comments and understand the frustration. I'm just saying, PLEASE vote with your wallets and don't resort to personal attacks on employees or be horrendous dicks about it on the internet.

Express frustration all day, it comes form a place of love, respect and passion for the franchise...I totally get that. Just please do not buy the game. I'm not going to buy it until I hear more about the technical side. If reviewers mention its a technical mess, then I'm out.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
"Not many people used it, so we asked ourselves what the people who did use it were trying to do. Well, they're trying to exchange one specific Pokemon for another specific Pokemon without planning out a trade with someone beforehand, which you can still do with Wonder Trade. It just may take more trades until you get what you want."

wut?

so I need to trade on average 400 times to get the Pokémon I want?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
the game has graphics from two gens ago, and seems to have numerous online features cut. Every Pokémon game since gen 2 had all the Pokémon available through transfer. This one does not, cutting the roster to 400ish

And it's presenting more and more technical issues the more we see of the game.

As I said before, the benefit of the doubt phase is clearly over.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
When you say 'criticism is fine', how exactly do you want that? MLA format? Powerpoint? Dissertation?

What grates me is that posters say that but it comes out as "You can be mad about this thing but you gotta do it specifically in this way". Some say, "just shut up, don't buy the game" but...whats the point of a forum then? Some of y'all act like we're being like an abusive parent to GameFreak or something.
maybe just not a bunch of thank you game freak posts would be a good start, idk

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I agree with all of these comments and understand the frustration. I'm just saying, PLEASE vote with your wallets and don't resort to personal attacks on employees or be horrendous dicks about it on the internet.

Express frustration all day, it comes form a place of love, respect and passion for the franchise...I totally get that. Just please do not buy the game. I'm not going to buy it until I hear more about the technical side. If reviewers mention its a technical mess, then I'm out.
Voting with your wallet doesn't really work with mainline Pokemon games. It's similar to Call of Duty where despite growing harsh criticism with each entry. They always end up selling gangbusters.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

as for the GTS - well, it sucks, but I sure hope the trading model ain't like Let's Go's.

Because nothing points at Nintendo and/ or Creatures forcing them to set these release dates? TPC is Nintendo/ Creatures/ GF btw.
Why would Nintendo, a company known for delaying games when they have to, force GF to make these Pokemon games as fast as they are?

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, some here are really gross. It's the same with nearly every Kojima thread about how bad death stranding is, how bad he himself is, while in the OT there are the people that actually enjoy it. Some really need a breath of fresh air, it's getting disgusting how some are representing their "opinion". And hashtag was really a mistake, by far. Looking forward to the games and the OT, even without GTS. Who knows, maybe they will give an update. I will as always wait for an official reply first.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Voting with your wallet doesn't really work with mainline Pokemon games. It's similar to Call of Duty where despite growing harsh criticism with each entry. They always end up selling gangbusters.
I disagree, this is a childish* approach. If all the disappointed people skipped the game the effect in sales would be significant. It seems like 3-4 fans out of 10 are disappointed. They will still buy the game it seems.

* An adult should take full responsibility for his actions, "other people will buy it so it doesn't matter if I vote with my wallet" sounds like a poor excuse.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, some here are really gross. It's the same with nearly every Kojima thread about how bad death stranding is, how bad he himself is, while in the OT there are the people that actually enjoy it. Some really need a breath of fresh air, it's getting disgusting how some are representing their "opinion". And hashtag was really a mistake, by far. Looking forward to the games and the OT, even without GTS. Who knows, maybe they will give an update. I will as always wait for an official reply first.
They're not gonna patch it in
And yeah people will dismiss absolutely everything because they've made up their mind when the games were announced, big whoop

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I hope to hell and back that reviewers do proper justice to this game and showcase how many corner cutting has been done. Yesterday, I saw this gif of Zacian turning around in an important cutscene, and it was worst than most of the early 3D "Tales of" games, a JRPG series known for being made on a low budget. It was pathetic, especially when "high quality animations" were one of the justifications for cutting more than 500 creatures from the previous games, something that had never been done in the two decades these games have been around.

As SwSh kept leaking, more and more features were noticeably cut for no good reason, the GTS is just the latest victim. This is a 2019 game on the most profitable franchise in the world on a system that can run Xenoblade 2, Witcher 3, Doom, and more. Yet, their effort is something that would be at home on the 3DS at best, a system that had outdated specs the moment it came out in 2011.

So, yes, I imagine many reviewers won't bother to actually say more than "hey it's Pokemon and it's got curry!", afraid to give a low score to such an anemic game, but I hope that some have enough integrity to be honest about this mess.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hilarious that a company as child friendly as TPC is forcing children to basically go online and talk to strangers and exchange friend codes to trade for the Pokémon they want.

This is ridiculous.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, this is uncanny.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
No matter how questionable the games get this will never make sense. Its their game so its as nonsensical as like asking Square to give Final Fantasy to someone else because FF13 was disappointing or after XV's clear development issues. Comparing it to Fallout76 is ridiculous since that game was completely bug ridden and broken with nothing to do in it, and still you can't really tell them to hand over the Fallout IP.

And that's even under the assumption that these games will tank financially and critically, which there's a pretty low chance.
Well FF is solely owned by SE, while GF ownership of the Pokemon franchise is not really known since it's shared with Nintendo, Pokemon company and Creatures Inc. I guess it's not really plausible for any other developer to touch this franchise for the "real" games due to legal reasons, but still I would love to see a developer who isn't completely out of touch with reality to tackle this franchise.

Nothing about these games seem positive, and all the "it might get better after you all see the whole game" takes are completely shattered after all those streams that show the game is, as many suspected, mediocre and a huge wasted opportunity for this franchise, that gets it's first ever new gen on a HD flagship console.
If all critics are going to bend over because it's pokemon and it ends up with 80-85 average scores then GF will indeed learn nothing and carry all the issues to the next games.

And honestly I think it is as bad as Fallout76 because bugs can be fixed but there's nothing GF can do to fix their issues with SW/SH at this point other than to make new games.