• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
If you already know, then why are you asking me? It is arbitrary gatekeeping because it's in BETA.
There's literally nothing to "beta" though. They don't have to do anything besides have their policies in check which would have been ironed out when Fortnite got cross play. Or hell, probably when they started allowing PC cross play years ago. There is nothing to "beta" test. It is just what they are calling their gate keeping policy.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
good, but it should not take Sony until the last second to decide. If a dev asks, you listen. Even if you want to be on a case by case basis with it.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to repurchase all of the licenses for the DLCs to play on other platforms? Like if I bought Forsaken and the annual pass on PS4, can I play the content on PC? I'm guessing you have to buy all of the content again, but just wondering.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to repurchase all of the licenses for the DLCs to play on other platforms? Like if I bought Forsaken and the annual pass on PS4, can I play the content on PC? I'm guessing you have to buy all of the content again, but just wondering.

From the Nibel twitter screenshot, it does look like recent content needs double-dipping yes. But who knows how it might end up in 3 months time.

D8ZR3xCXUAYVNj-.jpg:large

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, triple post. I'm braindead.

Now on topic: Jumping to immediate conclusions over just a "pending approval" legend seems silly. Or pretty disingenuous.

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring Mod Post
You can laugh at the other thread all you want, but the fact is that Sony has historically dragged its feet when it comes to cross-progression and cross-play.

This time, they managed to be on board the day before the public announcement. The laughing should be at Sony for not having this done beforehand so that the Stadia subtitle never needed to happen.

Hopefully in the future, they continue to open their platform to crossplay and crossprogression, because playing games on different devices is clearly the future.

Yep.
No...you guys looks foolish and entitled. But to each their own...

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017

From the Nibel twitter screenshot, it does look like recent content needs double-dipping yes. But who knows how it might end up in 3 months time.

I am curious about how other F2P cross-play / cross-save games handle paid content. If you buy a battle pass on XB1 does that carry over if you log in on PC? Can you use purchased content from Rocket League across platforms (not including the exclusive stuff)? I know Minecraft now maintains purchases per account, so I could use the same packs between PC/mobile/Switch/etc.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
There's literally nothing to "beta" though. They don't have to do anything besides have their policies in check which would have been ironed out when Fortnite got cross play. Or hell, probably when they started allowing PC cross play years ago. There is nothing to "beta" test. It is just what they are calling their gate keeping policy.
I see you're an expert on cross-play/cross-progression for PlayStation.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice, a step in the right direction and hopefully a sign of things to come. This is only a benefit to the consumer.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I see you're an expert on cross-play/cross-progression for PlayStation.
I mean you can also ask all the devs who said they are ready to go with the flip of a switch once they have approval. Or Fortnite which accidentally kept getting cross play accidentally activated. But sure. If you want to believe there are technical roadblocks on Sony's end still just because they labelled it a "beta" go for it.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the former already have set policies for this, whereas the latter is running a beta for it.

Well, yes.

Beta or early access? Never heard of a beta lasting this long.

I mean you can also ask all the devs who said they are ready to go with the flip of a switch once they have approval. Or Fortnite which accidentally kept getting cross play accidentally activated. But sure. If you want to believe there are technical roadblocks on Sony's end still just because they labelled it a "beta" go for it.

They make good exclusives so they get the benefit of the doubt it seems.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
User banned (1 week): Hostility, community bashing, ignoring staff post
If it wasn't for people complaining this would not be happening.
Are you that fucking dense.
'Pending approval' does not mean in any way shape or form that Sony would decline. Y'all were wanking yourselves silly in the other thread with the faux uproar. It would have made sense to throw your toys out of the cot when Sony flat out said no. Any sane person would have waited for the decision first and then comment.
But instead tthe thread got locked because everyone just had to get in their hot take.
Sometimes y'all are just plain embarrassing.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (1 day): ignoring mod post
What a ride this saga has been

Reports of Sony holding it back, people get mad

Reports of those reports being false, people shitting on the aforementioned mad people.

Original mad people vindicated with confirmation it was a last minute change, now able to shit on the aforementioned people shitting on the mad people.

Wew lad that's some spicy back and forth. Wonder what the next twist will be

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I really hope it becomes a trend that companies directly call out Sony repeatedly for certain features being missing, as it's pretty clear long term that will result in a customer perception than the PS platform is missing a feature everyone else has. No doubts for me that's what made them cave.

Net positive for everyone involved though! Except maybe Sony? But then again who cares, the consumer getting benefits is what's important

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a ride this saga has been

Reports of Sony holding it back, people get mad

Reports of those reports being false, people shitting on the aforementioned mad people.

Original mad people vindicated with confirmation it was a last minute change, now able to shit on the aforementioned people shitting on the mad people.

Wew lad that's some spicy back and forth. Wonder what the next twist will be

The twist being most in this thread don't actually play Destiny.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the only way to get cross platform stuff on PS4 is to go "fine, we will do it everywhere else and leave PS4 alone" and just wait for Sony to inevitably back down?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you that fucking dense.
'Pending approval' does not mean in any way shape or form that Sony would decline. Y'all were wanking yourselves silly in the other thread with the faux uproar. It would have made sense to throw your toys out of the cot when Sony flat out said no. Any sane person would have waited for the decision first and then comment.
But instead tthe thread got locked because everyone just had to get in their hot take.
Sometimes y'all are just plain embarrassing.

We would not be sharing our Fortnite accounts on PS4 if everyone was cool with Sony's strategy.
How is that hard to understand?

Sony made the right move, and they are seemingly shifting their strategies to be more 'open' in this regard. This would not have happened if it wasn't for social media hashtags, major press people calling them out, news articles on mainstream media, and enthusiasts on forums like this.

These weren't hot-takes, we were reacting to the printed letters' on Google's video, and to Sony's recent decisions.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Cross-save is so exciting. I'll buy everything twice, I don't mind. Being able to primarily play on PC and then jump to console for friends (and for comp) will be fantastic.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The notion that Sony is testing the waters re:cross-platform play via a 'beta' program is at the very least heartening and suggests that Sony is listening and making moves.
BUT the notion that such a beta program is necessary, is not something that has been validated by Sony, or by those who would argue in Sony's place, imo.
I can give them a little bit of benefit of doubt, because they're Sony and I think Playstation is dope when the platform holder isn't getting in the way of allowing developers to achieve dope stuff that would otherwise be well within their ability to achieve.
(and because the last few weeks of PS news have shown me that Playstation's future is brighter than
And when Sony is consistently the hold up, every single time,
they lose some goodwill.

And at any rate, "beta program" is starting to feel a little like the new "deal that X publisher must have willingly signed with Sony for things to have gone wrong to begin with". A nebulous concept that hasn't even been substantiated well enough to be used as a criticism shield.

Last edited: