• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen Xbox controllers will likely be the exact same but with a built in battery. That's perfectly ok with me.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that the next Xbox controller has gyro in it because gyro aiming makes games better. Otherwise though sticking with the X1 pad would be great, it's a very good controller.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I skipped on my Elite V2 pre-order. Forward comparability is welcome, but my Elite 1 still functions ok and £150 is too much for a minor upgrade.

If you are on the fence and don't own a working Elite v1 though, I'd highly recommend getting the V2.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be like the GameCube/Wii days when Kijiji/Craigslist is flooded with controller less Xbox One's when the new console is out.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the bummer about this is the Xbox controller really should have a share button and gyro controls standard.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro .. maybe.. share ? No way.. I hit that by accident on my ds4 all the time.

I can't imagine how that would even happen, but even still it could be placed somewhere else if that was an issue. PS4 and Switch both have single button share functionality. This is a major gap for the Xbox in day to day use.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I can't imagine how that would even happen, but even still it could be placed somewhere else if that was an issue. PS4 and Switch both have single button share functionality. This is a major gap for the Xbox in day to day use.

every other controller uses a two button "start/select"layout including all PlayStation controllers up to now and you can't imagine how??? Really?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good in theory, but does that mean developer adoption rate of whatever new features on the new controller will be low to non-existent?

Features on third party games were already lacking. Xbox One triggers are so fucking good and I can only expect them to be used well from the first party stuff.

Does anyone else want them to get rid of the "View" and "Menu" button and go for something similar to start and select. IDK why but this has always bothered me.

View and Menu are probably more apt names for what they actually function as but yeah it's always been a weird change. I still call them start and select and everyone gets it. I like the hamburger button so they should keep the symbols.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Bearing in mind both next gen systems will be launching with a huge library of BC games from this gen it would make sense for those systems to support the current controllers.

You'd have to have to actively break support for the DS4 on PS5 really.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I really hope they do have a new controller for the new console though, something with a gyro in it so consoles can finally have proper aiming.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This means backwards compatible. Forward compatibility means a newer generation accessory works on an older generation console. Example, the Dualshock 4 works on the PS3. If a Xbox One game works on the Scarlett does that mean it's forward compatible? Like where do people come up with these dumb terms.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I was never worried personally about the xbox one controllers or PS4 dualshock 4s working with the next systems. I am just curious now about whether or not PS1 and PS2 discs will work on PS5 lol .

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wonderful news! We were playing Rock Band 4 this weekend and I was wondering about this!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
On the plus side, that means your investment in Elite controllers is safe. On the downside, we're probably not going to get anything as innovative on the controller side like what's rumored w/ PS5.

I'm torn.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
every other controller uses a two button "start/select"layout including all PlayStation controllers up to now and you can't imagine how??? Really?

I thought you meant accidentally touching the button, not intentionally pressing what turned out to be the wrong button. I find the Share and Options buttons pretty out of the way so I was skeptical of inadvertent activations. Forgetting which button is which is a totally different issue, but I can totally see that happening. Still, I don't see how that's an argument against adding a share button to the Xbox controller. It can go wherever MS thinks is best.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
if you're really accidentally hitting the share button so often you should probably change its default short press to take screenshots instead of pulling up the share menu and processing video.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
So it's the same with every generation so far? Seriously, how many games make extensive use of the ds4 touchpad?

people are still playing third party games on PC with 360 controllers. These new features are nothing but excuses to force prior controllers into obsolescence. And when these controllers cost $60 a pop, that's incredibly stupid.

Generation to generation, build quality, ergonomics, and battery life (if there's an internal battery) are all that should matter to anyone besides Nintendo.
I use the DS4 touchpad only so I can bind left/right touchpad clicks to keyboard keys, ex: engine brake for truck sim games, more or less elite controller paddle stuff on a budget

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I assume DualShock 4 will work with PS4 software on PS5. DualShock 5 may be required for PS5 games, though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that the next Xbox controller has gyro in it because gyro aiming makes games better. Otherwise though sticking with the X1 pad would be great, it's a very good controller.

Gyro aiming? Maybe on Switch, Wii U, Vita, etc... but Xbox? Have you used gyro aiming on a regular controller before?

This means backwards compatible. Forward compatibility means a newer generation accessory works on an older generation console. Example, the Dualshock 4 works on the PS3. If a Xbox One game works on the Scarlett does that mean it's forward compatible? Like where do people come up with these dumb terms.

I think you are confused LOL.

The XB1 controllers are forward compatible if they work on future Scarlett hardware. The Scarlett hardware is backwards compatible if it works with XB1 controllers.

I assume DualShock 4 will work with PS4 software on PS5. DualShock 5 may be required for PS5 games, though.

They will have to, they already confirmed PSVR compatibility so the DS4 will have to be supported as well. Unless the DS5 is practically the same as a DS4, which why bother when you can support DS4 for full BC and have a wild new DS5 with new features

Last edited:

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Gyro aiming? Maybe on Switch, Wii U, Vita, etc... but Xbox? Have you used gyro aiming on a regular controller before?

Have you? Switch Pro is a "regular" controller and using gyro on it is an excellent experience. Xbox having it as an option would only be a positive.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oct 25, 2017

As someone quite thoroughly horrible at aiming with gamepad analog sticks in console shooters, Splatoon's gyro controls are one of the best things ever to happen to first/third person shooting games on consoles. It would be fantastic if I could get that kind of controls on Xbox... and PC, since the Xbox controller is the default one on PC and its featureset is the one most games support.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
As someone quite thoroughly horrible at aiming with gamepads in console shooters, Splatoon's gyro controls are one of the best things ever to happen to first/third person shooting games on consoles. It would be fantastic if I could get that kind of controls on Xbox... and PC, since the Xbox controller is the default one on PC and its featureset is the one most games support.

Yeah gyro is great, I just find it's not really ideal unless you are holding the screen. I guess I could be wrong since I haven't played docked Splatoon 2 with a Pro controller specifically, but the times I've tried to use it outside of handhelds has been very underwhelming