• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
So it's the same with every generation so far? Seriously, how many games make extensive use of the ds4 touchpad?

people are still playing third party games on PC with 360 controllers. These new features are nothing but excuses to force prior controllers into obsolescence. And when these controllers cost $60 a pop, that's incredibly stupid.

Generation to generation, build quality, ergonomics, and battery life (if there's an internal battery) are all that should matter to anyone besides Nintendo.
I'm all for new controllers, for exactly the reasons you said. All I'm saying is that officially supporting older controllerss will severely limit how often we see new features used. (even more than now)

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Sounds good on one hand, on the other hand it could mean no new features for the new controllers.
Or maybe they are just FC so one can still use them with Xbox one games in BC.

Anyway, they are too late with this: they made me throw away a very expensive and pretty decent fanatec wheel this gen :P

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
If you allow for the use of older controllers, then you can never assume every user has the new controller features; at least from a development point of view.
They also allow the use of third party controller and those also often don't have all features. So it's not much different from the past Imo.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
S
I'm all for new controllers, for exactly the reasons you said. All I'm saying is that officially supporting older controllerss will severely limit how often we see new features used. (even more than now)
Sure, but:

A.) The industry as a whole has been moving away from games being on closed off platforms. For example, I'm sure Sony eventually wants PS Now to work on PCs, phones, tablets, consoles, etc. using a variety of different controllers.

B.)These gimmicky features have never seen any widespread use in the generation they were introduced. I haven't played a single game that was elevated in a substantial way through touchpad integration for example. AC4 used it for map navigation, but you could just as easily navigate the map with a ds3, 360, or xb1 controller.

Without a doubt, these "features" exist almost solely as halfhearted ideas used to justify forcing the consumer to rebuy controllers.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if they also made dualshock 4 controllers compatible. ios 13 supports them natively with bluetooth so...

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what they will require from games which will be made for Scarlett.
It's completely possible to have some Scarlett controller features being mandated while them simply being absent when a game is controlled by an Xbox One pad.
It should also be totally transparent for developers because such things must be handled at API level.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real question is, what will the new Scarlett controllers "do" and what will they feel like. Backwards compatibility is nice, but not if the new controllers make me want them instead. I love the Xbox 360 controller but as soon as I held a Xbox One controller in my hands for the first time, I knew I needed to upgrade. Will the new controllers have USB-C? Come built-in with rechargeable buttons? Come with paddles? Maybe using a better wireless spec outside of Bluetooth? And the BEST feature of 360 controller, being built for customizable faceplates? Can it store user profiles on-board? Maybe has a speaker?

(Also an unneeded humble brag, but I nonchalantly bought a new wired 360 controller in 2016, thinking they'd be around forever and WOW they are now harder to find than rain in the desert...which is another reason I got an Xbox One controller, I wanted to preserve that controller as much as possible.)
I think Elite Series 2 speaks a lot towards what the design language of the controller will be for Scarlett.

The base controller won't have paddles, but I'd almost guarantee it'll have an internal battery and USB-C charging.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With this news, I've just preordered my Elite Controller Series 2. Can't fucking wait.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That is one way to make your console $50 cheaper at launch and I fully support it. I wouldnt be surprised if Sony does the same thing.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
MS doing their best to win me back. This is a great decision, but I guess an easy one considering they make the best controller by miles.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't mean no motion controls, I was hoping next gen would be when all 3 would have them in their base controllers.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Cool. I really do hope they decide to add a gyro to the Scarlett controller though. Microsoft is literally the only one in the game that doesn't have it.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Yeah, this could be very bad news. Gyro aiming is a must for controllers nowadays.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the majority of gamers disagree.

Motion controls were/are largely seen as a fad whose time has come and gone. At least, that's the impression I personally get from the court of public opinion.

This news here shows that Microsoft believes the same, and that they're happy with the controller they've got...which is fine by me, because it's one of my all-time favorites.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to imagine them improving the controller much more, it's just about perfect IMO.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Might be time for me to retire my old Xbox 360 controllers and invest into some Xbox One controllers for PC/Android gaming since I can also use them on Scarlett

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Magic Marker? There's no system function I'm aware of. I've never found the xbox button light to be very bright at all, but I never play games or watch TV in absolute darkness either so it's never stood out.
I know you can dim the light on the elite controllers. Mine is dimmed, can't remember if it can be turned off completely or not. I think it can

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It would be hard for me to imagine Sony not doing the same at this point.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
It's been known for awhile since the elite 2 announcement, but it doesn't hurt to reconfirm. It's the only reason why I'm getting the elite 2. I'm expecting the scarlet controller to have a similar design as the one controller, with an internal big battery, usb c, and have the grip rubber be standard instead of it being assigned to random special edition controllers. No paddles obviously, but I don't see them doing anything crazy with the goat design, nor do they need to honestly.

as for Sony my DS4 worked on my ps3, but it had to be plugged in and the rumble or touchpad didn't work from what I remembered 6 years ago. Still different since my ds3 didn't work for my ps4 natively. I'm not gonna assume Anything from them, and still expect to sell off all my PS4 pro and controllers, unless they come out and confirm ds4s will work with ps5.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It would be hard for me to imagine Sony not doing the same at this point.

It depends what's functionally in the controller.

Games should be able to use whatever is new, in a fundamental/dependent way.

If games don't use new stuff like that, then sure, fire away - it would be great if they work in that kind of YMMV way. But there shouldn't be a requirement/mandate IMO.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like another gen where you'll have to buy a $150+ controller just to get paddles. How are they not standard yet?

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
S

Sure, but:

A.) The industry as a whole has been moving away from games being on closed off platforms. For example, I'm sure Sony eventually wants PS Now to work on PCs, phones, tablets, consoles, etc. using a variety of different controllers.

B.)These gimmicky features have never seen any widespread use in the generation they were introduced. I haven't played a single game that was elevated in a substantial way through touchpad integration for example. AC4 used it for map navigation, but you could just as easily navigate the map with a ds3, 360, or xb1 controller.

Without a doubt, these "features" exist almost solely as halfhearted ideas used to justify forcing the consumer to rebuy controllers.
Depends on what they will require from games which will be made for Scarlett.
It's completely possible to have some Scarlett controller features being mandated while them simply being absent when a game is controlled by an Xbox One pad.
It should also be totally transparent for developers because such things must be handled at API level.
Agreed. I don't think it will really change anything; especially because old controllers are b/c. I'm happy with traditional buttons and analog sticks. Regardless, it would have been interesting to see a more concerted push towards something new, similar to what Nintendo does every generation.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I'm late to the party, but this was made known during both June and August 2019.

Per Phil Spencer - "We want to make those [controllers] compatible with future generations of our console as well. So really, the things you've bought from us, whether the games or the controllers that you're using, we want to make sure those are future compatible with the highest fidelity version of our console, which at that time will obviously be the one we've just launched."

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still have a worry that the Scarlet controller will have functionality that the current gen ones do not, or perhaps that there's a match in the features of the Elite 2 but the only difference is the premium materials/build quality, so I'll continue to wait for now, even though I still think this is good news.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that doesn't mean the Xbox controllers are going to be missing gyro features again.