• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much did you spend in MTX in a single game?

• 0 - Never spent an extra dime.

Votes: 837 27.7%
  • 1-60$ - Spent up to the price of a triple-A game on it.

Votes: 1,071 35.5%
  • 61-150$ - Spent more than the cost of a single game.

Votes: 362 12.0%
  • 150-300$ - Spent the price of a couple games.

Votes: 307 10.2%
  • 300-1000$ - I spent the price of a console, or two, or three.

Votes: 277 9.2%
  • 1000-3000$ - I spent a huge amount of money into it.

Votes: 115 3.8%
  • 3000$+ - The game became an actual major investment.

Votes: 48 1.6%

• Total voters

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I bought $20 of Platinum on Warframe over a year ago and still have quite a bit of it left. That's all I've done, I believe.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
I bought quite a few skins for league of legends over the past few years. I think i spent about 500€ over the course of 9 years playing the game. It's a free game so i don't mind spending a bit of money here and there on it.

I can't recall another game i spent money on MTX. Maybe a few egg capsules for pokemon go? can't remember.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
Warframe: $80 for Mesa Prime + weapon pack.

I have spent probably around $300 on Warframe, and don't regret a cent. GOAT

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably spent somewhere between $100-200 on Fortnite skins. Probably spent double that though, but I got the other half grinding the PVE.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
The only free to play game that gets my money is Warframe

I buy every renown pack that comes out and maybe if i feel i meed it, buy just play by itself

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Spent about $100 on Path of Exile over the years.
How did I forget about PoE...

Yeah I've bought 6 $60 supporter packs. This is starting to add up but definitely felt like I was supporting GGG with those and paying a monthly fee compared to MMOs even though I would play PoE considerably more.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Spent $20 on Gears packs to get Black Steel Thrashball Drone
gears-of-war-4-packs-esports-13-graffiti-wall-ultimos-D_NQ_NP_660844-MLM31255327440_062019-F.jpg

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
tolXCNZ.png

I realized I had a problem way too late :(
2 years clean and never felt better.
Fuck microtransactions and fuck everything digital.
If I cant grab it, I dont buy it. Im like a recovering addict.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Before getting into league of legends, hearing my buddies discuss over them skins I was like 'really dudes? skins? you spend freakin money on SKINS?Wtf is this concept?" 3 years later...I got into it, was spending more time than my friends and started diggin dem skins myself :( Regret it today that I don't play it anymore.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think around $1000 bucks on a dumb ass mobile game one time over a couple of months. Which is why I no longer buy any microtransactions I know I can't handle them. I don't gamble either for the same reason.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
I've spent a fair bit on

- League
- Tera
- Apex
- Summoners War
- Pokemon Go

I've quit most of these games but probably spent 600 - 700 bucks on them altogether. I think that's not too bad.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I've spent about $150 on silver for Destiny. No regrets there.

I've bought one pass for Fortnite (Season 4, I believe) and haven't played it since.

Some random $10 in coins here and there (BLOPS 4, RS: Siege, The Division 2).

Like someone said above, if we count Rock Band DLC as MTX..... WHEW. I'm well over $2000 for that. 2007-2012 was a good 5 years for Rock Band.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent $1-60 on cosmetic stuff in CSGO and PUBG but I didn't use my own money, it was all funded via Steam Marketplace

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I spent $10 on a DDR mobile game for extra songs (I'm a HUGE DDR fan even if the mobile games kinda sucked) and, like, $3 on Pokémon GO. That's it. I'm good.

Now, I did spend $100 on getting every single DLC song for the 3DS version of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, but that's a slightly different topic for another thread.
It was totally worth every cent of that $100, though.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I bought costumes here and there with the live and let live laissez faire mentality.

No big regretful purchase to turn that worldview around, just an increasing irritation at how MTX has steadily increased everywhere. I tried to download Scrabble clone Words with Friends that I played years ago and it had levels, login bonuses, daily quests and monthly events, and full screen ads AND only an option to disable those ads for one month. This MTX hellscape is overwhelming a net negative.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
League of Legends microtransactions for me. Probably spent a couple hundred on skins over the years. I haven't put anything close to that into any other game.

Overally though it's World of Warcraft. I've been playing it off and on since it came out basically, so those $15 a month and $40 an expansion add up.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Last week I spent $9.99 on Pokemon Go. I was in Japan and wanted incubators while walking around.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to select on the poll due to just how much.

I will say, I'm surprised that 3k is cut off. I've played some games with 6 figure spenders.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I've spent like $10-15 on Pokemon Shuffle, and that's it. And even then it was only because there was an exploit discovered that let you have infinite energy for a month. I had already played so long for free that I didn't mind giving back a little to take advantage of the situation.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I first started playing Puzzles and Dragons (when it first came out in the US), I probably put $1500 into the game across 2 years or so. Now, about $900 was from free Play Store promo credit...But still.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Never spent a dime on MTX. Lucky for me, Pokemon Go is playable without spending money, or at least the way I play doesn't require it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I probably spent thirty bucks each in Street fighter 4 and 5 for costumes.

I threw 10 bucks on Warframe once, and another 10 on MechWarrior online once.

That's about it. this stuff usually isn't a very good deal which is why I don't get it. In the case of Warframe and mwo, I had no qualms about spending a little money for these free games after I'd already put 20 or 30 hours in them. Both of those are funny money style, if you don't know. You spend dollars to buy weird currencies. It's kind of fun. Lets you pick out some little s*** at the store. Oh... That's important; They aren't loot box games. You just buy what you want.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive unfortunately put in over a 100$ on FFBrave Exvius and partially regret it

Also spent about as much on Housamo/TAS, but Im more down to support a game made by gays for gays, so theres not really any regret there. Would still take a fully translated Fantastic Boyfriend's release, though :/

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"$1 to $60" is a pretty huge range in qualitative terms, lol.

I believe I've spent around $5 of my own money on Pokemon GO, and that's it. Maybe closer to $20 if you count all the free Google money I've gotten from the Survey Rewards app.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have about 1,800 songs in my Rock Band library, which I accumulated over about 4 years. I probably spent $2500+ on songs.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since MTX were added to CSGO (weapon skins, stickers, Operations passes, music packs, etc.) I've spent ~$1200 over the course of several years. These were mainly years when it was the only thing I played. I don't feel bad about it because content creators in the community got a cut.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
Other than Gravity Rush DLC, I've never bought any dlc, expansion or bought any MTX except in cases where I bought the complete edition that had all that stuff included. I've never pre-ordered a game either at least not for the pre-order dlc (I've imported some games so that can be seen as pre-ordering I guess)

That said, I buy the base Dota 2 International compendium every year for the last 3 years, once the higher bundle (so like 50-60$ total maybe). I don't care that much about the skins to be honest, I just like supporting the game I've spent over 2000 hours playing and I do watch TI every year.

Slightly off topic but I've only had Xbox gold subscription once during the Halo 3, Gears of wars days and only used a gifted PS plus subscription, so I haven't had either for the last 4 plus years.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Probably quite a bit over the years in league of legends but I got tons of hours of play so not so bad. I guess the other major one would be my world of warcraft sub. Some in Rainbow Six too. I usually don't buy lootboxes, it will be if they offer the skin or something straight up I'll buy the funny money and get it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
"$1-$60" is too broad tbh. I once bought a skin pack for SFIV. < $10 lifetime.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't recall spending any money on mtx at all. Not even a skin which is pretty surprising to me now that I'm thinking about it.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Probably a hundred or two on Dota 2 cosmetics, battle passes, chests, etc. But for a game I have sunk over 2000 hours into, it doesn't feel like a high number to me.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I paid maybe $5 to remove ads in an iPhone game I liked. Wanted to give some money to the dev. Does that count?