• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much did you spend in MTX in a single game?

• 0 - Never spent an extra dime.

Votes: 837 27.7%
  • 1-60$ - Spent up to the price of a triple-A game on it.

Votes: 1,071 35.5%
  • 61-150$ - Spent more than the cost of a single game.

Votes: 362 12.0%
  • 150-300$ - Spent the price of a couple games.

Votes: 307 10.2%
  • 300-1000$ - I spent the price of a console, or two, or three.

Votes: 277 9.2%
  • 1000-3000$ - I spent a huge amount of money into it.

Votes: 115 3.8%
  • 3000$+ - The game became an actual major investment.

Votes: 48 1.6%

• Total voters

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Spent $10 on Paragon to buy a skin.

Spent $40 on Apex Legends, $20 to get both season passes, $20 to get 20 Apex Loot Boxes.

Spent $15 on Looney Tunes World of Mayhen, the only mobile game that got me really invested.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't spent any, but I wonder if I would enjoy the F2P games that I've tried if I dropped a couple dollars on them.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 2 Halloween Costume packs for DOA 5 when they were on sale plus some of the good looking individual costumes...probably 40$ overall and I felt kind of dirty. But at least I bought game on sale for 30$, so I ended up paying a little more than the regular price with all the costumes added. Really had to stop myself tho...digital dressing up is worse than meth, no hyperbole.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I bought the Ultimate Edition of Forza Horizon 4, so I basically spent $40 (plus $3.99 or whatever for the treasure map) on microtransactions.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder this industry is lasering on this shit, it's fucking printing money compared to the cost to produce it, jesus christ.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've probably spend $40 in total on Rocket League keys a couple of years ago and that was it. Once I got stuff from crates I wanted, I stopped buying stuff.

I'd rather buy what I want a la carte instead of blind lootboxes though.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I was an Overwatch whale and I try not to think about how much I spent
Never again.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
The 2 games that I've spent money on were free to play and gave me hours and hours of enjoyment for nothing.

DotA 2: - International Battle Pass each year (except the past 2 years)

One Piece Treasure Cruise: - Spent about 20-25 bucks on 2 gem packs that had characters with them over the span of years of playing the game

I don't mind games like these that use MTX, because you get a ton of content for free. I will never buy MTX in a game I had to pay for. Maybe that's just me because I come from a time where game updates weren't a thing. You got your cartridge/cd and that was all the game had to offer.

I do get that devs continue to put in work on games much after their release, but sometimes the MTX feel like they have way too much focus from the creators/publishers.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I spent $20 or whatever it was on premium currency in Apex Legends specifically to buy the battlepass, so that if it counts.

Aside from that, zero dollars.

I never really get hooked on F2P games long enough to feel like my money is worth what they are offering.

I recently have gotten back into Rocket League in a pretty big way and am considering buying keys when the next rocket pass thing starts, though. I've so many crates in that game unopened, too.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Spent about $70 on the mobile Graal Classic Online. That's playing from 2009 to 2014. I know some people on it who spent $1k multiple times. Granted I have over 10k hours in that game.

Other than that I spend $3 on AC Pocket Camp a few months ago since I just needed slightly more(whatever it was, I forget) to get leaf tickets from an event. Don't see a need to buy stuff in Dragalia, like ever.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
No wonder this industry is lasering on this shit, it's fucking printing money compared to the cost to produce it, jesus christ.
Indeed.

I spent 15 bucks myself on Fortnite. (I won a €20 psn card through a Red Dead Redemption 2 community) and was like why the hell not. Basically for free anyway plus it is Free 2 Play.

Other than that I only ever paid for DLC or expansions, but microtransactions in general are a joke. However I do not mind them perse as long as it is cosmetics only and the game does not resolve only about them.

Nov 8, 2017
Based on the criteria set within the OP, it's £0.

The closest thing to MTX's I've purchased would be virtual currency for unlocking songs in Android rhythm games, but I knew in advance exactly how much I'd be spending and exactly what I'd be getting, so I don't think it's really much different than buying a DLC song pack in a game like DJMax Respect, which would count as an expansion.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
$0

Only game I am playing or played that has MTX is final fantasy record keeper on iOS

Been playing it for 5 years and never paid a single penny

Oct 29, 2017
HUNDREDS of dollars on DJ MAX Technika Q for iOS. And it was shut down earlier this year. No offline mode. No refunds. It's just a dead app now.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Anyone who is willing to fork so much cash for ingame microtransactions for their favourite game, but refuses to buy full priced AAA games need to check themselves.

Priorities are all wack.

DarthButcher

Oct 30, 2017
I am well within the $61-$150 range for Pokemon Go. Amortized over the amount of hours spent over 3 years - worth it.

Other than that, I don't think I've spent more than $20-$30 for DLC and I certainly haven't bought into mtx for other mobile games.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
If I did confess, you would call an intervention and not allow me to play Ubisoft games.

Anyways, about 200$

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've spent a little less than 150€ on Clash Royale through 2 years and I'm totally fine with it, it has been my most played game during the 2016-2018 period.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How should I view it if I made PayPal cash trading items in that game and spent that money on micro transactions.
I probably spent a grand on TF2 crates. But I made like 8k trading in that game.

I guess it's still a thousand dollars to Valve either way. I just don't feel as terrible about it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something around $300 in Dota2 over the course of 7 years which feels kinda acceptable.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Probably like $750 in Hearthstone over the course of 5.5 years. It's a considerable amount, but also a game I still play and enjoy nearly every single day.

I also apply a lot of credit card points to Battle.net purchases, so it's made it much less worse than it sounds.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Does dlc count?

I bought the leviathan dlc for Me3, bought a couple of costumes in lbp2, and bought the p90 in Uc4

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent almost 6 dollars on Street Fighter V cosmetics and I've only gotten 1000 hours of enjoyment from it so far. Fuck Capcom and their greedy practices..

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Confession - I spent quite a bit on the 3DS Badge Arcade game. Probably close to $30 or so over the course of time. Enough for another 3DS game at least.

I just really like decorating my home screen with that stuff.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I bought a few bits in Rocket League purely to support the company given how much I played it after getting it on PS+, but other than that the only other thing I remember is about £60/70 on Pokemon Go when it was in its first big phase. I probably played for around 6 months so it's not bad value given the time I played it.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Think I spent about 50 bucks on that damn Game of Thrones Conquest mobile game. Even with that, it was never enough. The game always wanted more. And then I got raided by someone who paid thousands all because they wanted to flex their power and I was done.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
It depends. Based on OP's defining of the term, I'd say Overwatch, and I think I spent a total of $5.

If Rock Band songs count, oh god help me. Over the course of 12 years, it has to be in the $300-$1000 range. I couldn't fathom to guess how much.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have played League of Legends for 10 years and have probably spent around $150 on it. I haven't spent money in the last 5 years or so, you can unlock enough stuff on your own without paying for skins, but in the beginning, it was necessary to get Rune Pages and to keep up with the champion releases.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Spent 20 bucks on Overwatch to try and get a stupid skin I didn't get. Never again.

I only play seasons in FIFA, so thank god I haven't put any money in any FIFA game so far.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i bought character dlc in fighting games, i think thats it, no season pass tho just a la carte
i dont think I've spent on any f2p games including card games.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Does DLC count? If not, only time I spent money on a microtransaction was $20 on Fallout Shelter

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Probably £50+ or so on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer card packs, which I don't regret as I got literally hundreds of hours of game out of the multiplayer alone.

£120 or so on Path of Exile Supporter packs over the years, which again is fine as I've had insane amounts of game time from it and am happy to keep supporting it.

£65 on Puzzle Dragon, when I first started playing and got caught up on the hype of special pulls. Regretted it, and has stopped me playing f2p mobile games ever since. The entire genre is a giant scam designed by very clever people to suck money out of you using every psychological trick possible.

EDIT: forgot, £150 on Heroes of the Storm, which Blizzard has now completely abandoned. That broke my fanboy following for Blizzard I've had for 30 years.