• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much did you spend in MTX in a single game?

• 0 - Never spent an extra dime.

Votes: 837 27.7%
  • 1-60$ - Spent up to the price of a triple-A game on it.

Votes: 1,071 35.5%
  • 61-150$ - Spent more than the cost of a single game.

Votes: 362 12.0%
  • 150-300$ - Spent the price of a couple games.

Votes: 307 10.2%
  • 300-1000$ - I spent the price of a console, or two, or three.

Votes: 277 9.2%
  • 1000-3000$ - I spent a huge amount of money into it.

Votes: 115 3.8%
  • 3000$+ - The game became an actual major investment.

Votes: 48 1.6%

• Total voters

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Well, I've been playing Magic Online for 17 years. So at least $1000 over the years. Probably much more than that.

I also dropped at least $50-100 on Rocket League keys before Epic bought them and I uninstalled it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised this isn't the kind of poll where the usernames of voters are kept private. You'd certainly get more honest responses from people who aren't interested in exposing this information publicly.

My answer is 0 USD but the thing is, the console/PC games I've played largely predate MTX, I deleted my FB account back when you still had to be in college to use it, and didn't own a smartphone until late 2018. So it's not like I've been resisting some grand temptation so much I haven't even been exposed. Dr. Mario World might be the the first game I've ever played where they're front and center.

Yeah, I actually didn't realize it was that way, so I changed the poll to anonymous now. But I figure a lot of people are commenting with their experiences anyway so there's a decent amount of honesty I suppose.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm, probably Rocket League. I have almost 2000 hours in that game, so I feel like I need to support their upkeep once in a while. I probably spent about $50 on keys over three years. Other than that, I tend to shy away from it.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The only one I can ever think of buying was the Pink Mercy skin in Overwatch, but that was because it was for Cancer research and as I recall 100% of the money went towards cancer research, Blizzard didn't get a penny.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
lol at the poll results. A third of ... no, let's not go there, but lol at the poll results.

I don't know the exact numbers as I don't care (I think it's in the 61-150 range) but it's most likely for Elite: Dangerous skins (paintjobs and ship kits). I dunno, I have the money and while I have no doubt Frontier is as a shitty company as the next firm, it's not like I'm giving my money to ultra-successful companies which could probably produce multiple MTX-free AAAs sold at 0$ MSRP and still make money at the end of the day. Also at least that was no blind purchase. I knew which paint job I wanted for which ship and got exactly that. So not a single regret there.

Not like when I probably spent up to 60 bucks on ME3 multiplayer lootboxes, and while not exactly "regretting" it as I knew it was shitty and kind of wanted to, you know, "experience the misery myself", I can now safely say GET THE FUCK OUT WITH LOOTBOXES, from first hand experience.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I was doing the dollar pull in record keeper for almost 3 years, so at least $300 or more before I cold turkey quit the game and swore of any games like it. That's without even the extra money on spent on full pulls.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the poll results. A third of ... no, let's not go there, but lol at the poll results.

I don't know the exact numbers as I don't care (I think it's in the 61-150 range) but it's most likely for Elite: Dangerous skins (paintjobs and ship kits). I dunno, I have the money and while I have no doubt Frontier is as a shitty company as the next firm, it's not like I'm giving my money to ultra-successful companies which could probably produce multiple MTX-free AAAs sold at 0$ MSRP and still make money at the end of the day. Also at least that was no blind purchase. I knew which paint job I wanted for which ship and got exactly that. So not a single regret there.

Not like when I probably spent up to 60 bucks on ME3 multiplayer lootboxes, and while not exactly "regretting" it as I knew it was shitty and kind of wanted to, you know, "experience the misery myself", I can now safely say GET THE FUCK OUT WITH LOOTBOXES, from first hand experience.

I don't think the poll paints a grim picture, except maybe for the 11% who spent A LOT of money on a single game, but that's still 1 player every 9 really. Two thirds of people barely ever spent on MTXs on a single game, which is not exactly a small feat considering how many big games offer you the chance to do so, including F2P ones like Fortnite or Candy Crush. Two thirds of voters spent less on such games than what a first party game like Smash Bros., Forza Horizon or Uncharted costs. I don't think that's too bad, but of course this board is really not representative of the whole world.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
A lot on Dota 2 cosmetics, but in a weird way. I probably spent over $1,000 on it back when cosmetics first became a thing, which then were turned around and sold for significantly more than that (lots of unobtainable legacy items)...which turned in to more items, Steam games, or Paypal money. That chain of buying, selling, and paying attention to the in-game economy continued for a few years before slowing down.

Overall the actual yearly cost of Dota 2 is probably a hundred bucks for some battle passes/compendiums, which I'm very comfortable with considering the enjoyment the game brings.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only ever bought microtransactions in Pokémon Go, specifically to increase storage. Will never buy microtransactions in a paid game.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the poll paints a grim picture, except maybe for the 11% who spent A LOT of money on a single game, but that's still 1 player every 9 really. Two thirds of people barely ever spent on MTXs on a single game, which is not exactly a small feat considering how many big games offer you the chance to do so, including F2P ones like Fortnite or Candy Crush. Two thirds of voters spent less on such games than what a first party game like Smash Bros., Forza Horizon or Uncharted costs. I don't think that's too bad, but of course this board is really not representative of the whole world.
I'm genuinely surprised by the third which never spent a dime. The rest kinda falls where I expected to. I mean "whales" are pretty rare no matter which board you visit (I mean general video games boards, there are probably specialized boards for that), and most people only spent small amounts on MTX, if only because money doesn't grow on trees.

But I have a I hard time believing a third of Era never spent a dime. MTX are everywhere these days. Even if you don't have a lot of disposable income, it's so easy to buy IAPs on mobile games, or boosters on AAA games, or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if people honestly forgot that one time where they bought some credits (or crystals or whatever it's called) on Candy Crush.

Edit: I should add that I believe many people simply don't spend much time on a single game period (they jump from game to game on a regular basis), which kind of explains why the spending per game is so low on average.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I spend 20 bucks on Overwatch lootboxes. I even got what I wanted and I still regret it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised by the third which never spent a dime. The rest kinda falls where I expected to. I mean "whales" are pretty rare no matter which board you visit (I mean general video games boards, there are probably specialized boards for that), and most people only spent small amounts on MTX, if only because money doesn't grow on trees.

But I have a I hard time believing a third of Era never spent a dime. MTX are everywhere these days. Even if you don't have a lot of disposable income, it's so easy to buy IAPs on mobile games, or boosters on AAA games, or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if people honestly forgot that one time where they bought some credits (or crystals or whatever it's called) on Candy Crush.

You may be right. Given MTXs have been very present for over a decade now (with mobile and Facebook games like Farmville already largely popular well before the triple-As started with the actual MTXs), it's easy to forget that one time you bought a couple hearts on a mobile game, extra storage space in an RPG, a charity skin in Black Ops 2 in 2012, and so on.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
However much it cost to pay for the classic Resident Evil 2 soundtrack in the recent Remake. I did it twice too...once for the Xbox version, then again for the PC version (though I did get that version free with a graphics card purchase, so the couple of quid for the soundtrack didn't sting. Was also able to sell the Xbox One version for nearly what I paid for it - £28 vs the £32 I bought it for).

The rest of the time I ignore micro transactions and DLC. I did pay for a Fable 2 DLC that let me bring my dog back to life after I decided to be an asshole and
take the money at the end
, that was through guilt though.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Played COD Black Ops 4 for over 600 hours (still playing it a ton - Blackout is just too much fun and steals almost all of my game time), spend around 100€ for cosmetic items (Player and Weapon Skins) and 40 Euros for the season pass.
First game I ever did that for...no regrets.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
You may be right. Given MTXs have been very present for over a decade now (with mobile and Facebook games like Farmville already largely popular well before the triple-As started with the actual MTXs), it's easy to forget that one time you bought a couple hearts on a mobile game, extra storage space in an RPG, a charity skin in Black Ops 2 in 2012, and so on.
Simply speaking from personal experience, I have to make conscious efforts to remember which game I spent MTX on, because it's not something I keep track of. I just don't care that much. It just kind of happens, sometimes (very rarely in my case, but not never).

I mean I know lootboxes are shit so there's no way I'll ever buy a lootbox again. But some skin on a game I enjoy? Hey why not? It's not like I'll empty my bank account for a few dollars once in a blue moon.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I voted 0, but then I realized I bought a $5 skin in fortnite when I was somewhat enjoying it.

That's it for me I believe.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly I'm not sure. I spent a lot on mtxs before I decided it just wasn't worth it and now I refuse to play games that have unlimited spending things because I have no willpower if I do play them.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
About $80 in Warframe. But that's because I had played enough hours in it that I actually started feeling bad for having not paid anything.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I probably spent like 20 bucks on FF Brave Exvius in it's first two years till I stopped playing. I've used a ton of Google play credits as well on BE and Pokemon Go including 10 bucks of that too change my team to line up better with friends and my wife lol.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On a single game up to £10 £15. On multiple games since mtx have become common probably in the 300 - 1000 range

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I've probably spent about $200 now on Apex, now that there have been 2 season passes (I bought the bundles where it gives you the first 25 levels of the pass because I don't play often enough to finish the pass otherwise). I'm pretty tapped out on wanting to spend more on lootboxes though. I'll probably continue buying season passes but that's it.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spent like $30-40 on Team Fortress 2, actually made more money on selling items for that game on the marketplace.

Madjaba

Banned
May 16, 2018
I've been weak and payed around 100€ because I was so frustrated getting crushed by godlike toty and whatnot players in Ultimate Team in Season 2 last year with my modeste team.

Guess what ? You need waaaaay more money in order to catch up with those whales there...

This game is just one of the worst act of manipulation and frustration and should be totally avoided.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't check just now but probably spent like $300-400 on Dota2, though I did sell my Alpine Ursa for $1500 a few years back. CSGO probably spent $200-300 and then sold items for like $600-700, so worked out pretty good.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't know if it counts, but I bought the $20 ad-removal with bonuses package for Tiny Tower out of respect for the devs (and hatred of ads)

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018

Edit: I should add that I believe many people simply don't spend much time on a single game period (they jump from game to game on a regular basis), which kind of explains why the spending per game is so low on average.
Here's how I've never spent a cent on microtransactions. It's actually very simple: I don't care about skins, and the moment a game starts blocking progress to pick my pocket I uninstall it.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The packs for Mario Kart and Smash Bros. That's it.

Edit: Didn't know what MTX meant.

Last edited:

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I spent $100 on Overwatch Lootboxes. in 2017. I was obsessed with having all of the skins, so whenever a new event came around, I would buy Lootboxes in order to unlock as many skins and voice lines as possible. I stopped right there after the $100. Spending money on MTX is not right.

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent a few hundred on Rainbow Six Siege MTX, plus the year passes. Every season i usually buy enough credits to get an Elite skin and have some left over, and also get the Pro League skins.

Besides Siege I don't usually buy any. When Overwatch came out the hype hit me hard and i spent $100 on release, but regretted that almost instantly.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I buy costumes and direct purchase cosmetics all the time. I've probably spent between 60-100 for 1-3 games, and less on a couple of others. I have no issue with directly paying for something I want. It's the loot boxes and all that other RNG stuff that I won't support. I've never spent a dime on any kind of box.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
About 500 EUR on WoW stuff. That's about it.

All other games in total in my lifetime would probably not go over 100 EUR.