• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much did you spend in MTX in a single game?

• 0 - Never spent an extra dime.

Votes: 837 27.7%
  • 1-60$ - Spent up to the price of a triple-A game on it.

Votes: 1,071 35.5%
  • 61-150$ - Spent more than the cost of a single game.

Votes: 362 12.0%
  • 150-300$ - Spent the price of a couple games.

Votes: 307 10.2%
  • 300-1000$ - I spent the price of a console, or two, or three.

Votes: 277 9.2%
  • 1000-3000$ - I spent a huge amount of money into it.

Votes: 115 3.8%
  • 3000$+ - The game became an actual major investment.

Votes: 48 1.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of us have been there. Maybe it's the Fortnite V-bucks, maybe it was the FIFA Ultimate Packs, maybe the lootboxes in Overwatch or possibly the endless barrage of recoloured skins in Dead Or Alive games.

It's time for confessions. What's the most money you spent on microtransactions in a single game? Was it a game you spent a lot of time on? Was it worth it? Do you have regrets?

A reminder that microtransactions don't include:
  • Monthly subscriptions (eg. MMOs)
  • Expansion packs and major DLCs (season passes, map packs, single player expansions, etc.)
  • Re-releases or remakes of the same game
But they do include the following:
  • Consumables (lootboxes, energy, hearts)
  • In-game currency (V-bucks, FIFA points, etc.)
  • Small cosmetic packages (skins, models, emotes, blings, etc.)

How far did you go then?

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I bought an extra builder in Clash of Clans for 10€ once I think. That's it. Never bought any skins or other useless things.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Just on Mobile on DragonballZ Dokkan, in 4 years I spent something like 300€. That is 6.25€ a month.
Considering I open the app/play almost everyday... I think they deserved some money from me...

Never ever got anything else as far as I remember in any other game. No skin, no points, no boxes, nothing.

EDIT:
I completed everything available in the game, so I decided to not spend anything in the future for it. I will be able to do even future contents with a bit of luck and patience at this point, so no real reason.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poll added.

The most money I spent on a single game's MTX is probably Apex Legends where I gave the devs about 200 Euros as a sort of long-term investment because the game's great and I want to support it. I still have most of the in-game coins sitting there, waiting for the right things to buy. I did buy skins, lootboxes and passes and I want to be able to buy what I like until I want to play it.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Spent about $200 on Dota 2 in about 7 years. Considering I've played it for 3k hours, that's very low.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I think I bought the Snoop Dogg and CoD4 style voice announcers in Call of Duty Ghosts just because I had some left over Microsoft points. No idea why...that's about it 😂

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've spent a couple hundred bucks on siege cosmetics.

I don't think anything else even comes close, maybe 30-40 bucks on some other free games I played.

tbf I also play the shit out of it and it's one of my top 5 games of all time.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warframe - £252
Path of Exile - £113

Edit : Did you mean AAA mtx's?, or both AAA and F2P?, because I'd never spend anything on AAA mtx's

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I spent $50 on Overwatch, but to be fair I also got the game for $10 bucks back at launch so I was just paying for my full copy.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I spent maybe 30-40 euros altogether on one of those iOS idle games a year or two back. This was over 4 or 5 months and the game was great for staving off boredom, so I don't particularly regret it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe - £252
Path of Exile - £113

Edit : Did you mean AAA mtx's?, or both AAA and F2P?, because I'd never spend anything on AAA mtx's

Anything goes. Mobile games, console F2Ps, triple-A games, indies. As long as it's MTXs it's fine, so anything from Candy Crush to Call Of Duty counts.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Bought two costumes in FFXIII-2 and a battle costume in Street Fighter V. That's it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Fortnite = $10 for Battle Pass S3
Pokemon Go = $10 for Premium Passes

I've spent some extra money en PKMN Go, but only the one I've earned via Google Rewards, not from my own money

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
unless if you count actual expansions, nada.

EDIT: i should have read the OP before posting to see you already mentioned expansions not included, so yea, absolutely nothing

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I think that I have spent maybe 500€ on Guild Wars 2 during these 7 years. Fancy skins, some convenience items and a massive amount of extra character slots. No regrets, I love the game.

Can't remember any other specific ones but I guess I've gotten something extra here and there for random games too.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Probably 30 euros lifetime. Free 2 play games that deserved the support after 100s of hours. Think it was spiral knights. Cant remember any other

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
The only times I've ever paid for microtransactions were the times I bought Mass Effect 3 character skins and the RE2R Noir skin pack.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent about £45 on keys to open Rocket League crates. Won't touch the thing now

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing ever. I don't pay for garbage.
I get the thought behind this, but I don't think it's fair to tar all mtx's with the same brush.

I don't regret a single £ I spent on Warframe and PoE, they are two of the best games I've ever played, and games that I can see my playing for many years to come, and I'll continue to spend money on them while the developers continue to do work that I feel justifies the prices.

Games like this just wouldn't work, at least in terms of continued content and unlimited gameplay, without a stream of revenue.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Probably in the 60-150 band, I played quite a lot of Planetside 2 and had a VIP sub for a lot of it.

Jun 14, 2019
Around 10k on marvel heroes, albeit most of that was me doing giveaways for then marvel heroes gaf. Game since shuttered down, and i now do just game giveaways but even more crazy like giving away over 300 copies of yakuza 0 to pcera

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Never and never will.

I´d rather buy an old game for 2 bucks than some garbage in some other game, that never has been even remotely woth the asking price.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Overwatch, trying to get a single skin around £100 back near release. Haven't spent a penny since though, have almost 2000hrs played.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Siege has given me more than 2000 gameplay hours of entertainment since launch and its still so much fun. Due to this I'm more than willing to buy the occasional skin. I don't buy the event packs though cause RNG MTX are stupid.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Not a penny,fortunately the sort of games that encourage mtx don't interest me.I'm single player these days.
I've no issue buying story based dlc's though.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Most on a console game is probably around 60-70$ on Overwatch. Mobile is around 300$~

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The only game I spent money in was Path of Exile and it was well deserved, bought some QoL and cosmetic stuff mostly to support them.

Iirc. Over 2 years, I've just bought the season pass that gave me alibi and maestro and company for free in rainbow six. I think that was $20. I now have 400k renown so I don't need a season pass for another 2 years lol.

And I am guilty of vbucks but I only used $40 to buy Marshmello and starlord. I liked the Marshmello costume and I'm a big fan of starlord in the guardian films.

In addition, I'm gonna add the initial investment of $10+$10 for buying the battle pass on switch and ps4.

I think this is the max I've spent on a game in recent years when it came to MTX.

I have 4 quid sitting in my UK account for almost a year. Might go for the weapon unlock thing and get that re2 remake platinum over the coming weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
I know you said not to count expansions, but I would definitely include Hearthstone expansions on that list. The ADVENTURES on the other hand, I wouldn't count.

With that said I've spent 15 bucks on Hearthstone and 20 on NBA2k14. Otherwise, I've never had an interest in buying any sort of skins or other cosmetic shit in a game.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Only game ever is FO76, two lots of Atom bundles at £7.99 each because you got 500 extra Atoms and a limited edition outfit both times.
First was the E3 bundle and last week Gamescon bundle.
Never spent a penny on any other game apart from my ongoing Elite Dangerous which dates back to the release version...

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
350 quid in a single day on Fifa 16 trying to get a Team of The Season Luis Suarez....I didn't get him, I didn't get anything remotely good. I stopped playing FUT shortly after - my wallet thanks me. It really escalated quickly, I don't have much against games were I can pick and choose where to spend my money - I hate the sticker pack luck MTX though.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm not proud of it but i think i've spent about £100 on Overwatch. a couple seasons ago in Fortnite I spent about £80 on v-bucks. never again.

i think now the only microtransactions i'd buy are for Gwent. The game does a good job of rewarding you with materials to buy kegs (card packets) so you can easily play and get new cards.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
$30 AUD on BFV because DICE finally added a few maps to it. Never again though, as the cheating problem on PC is put of hand.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Like 3 bucks for the treasure map in Forza Horizon 3 and 4 each. That's it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
$59.99 on warframe year 1.

I've not spent a single real life buck since then because of the in-game trading.