• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one mandatory football match in which you don't even have to win to progress the story, but if it made you outright hate the game then I don't think you should bother retrying. Hate is a very strong word

No worries, I never got that far. I just remember the pc being insufferable and the load times on PS2 being rough.. soo I played other games instead.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Ppl who find XII's gameplay fun or the story even remotely interesting perplex me

And before someone tries to say "it's SUPER POLITICAL it's not for everyone" miss me with that BS there's nothing complex or interesting going on with the politics or overall plot

An example of a political JRPG story done right is Suikoden III

Dozens of characters I cared about and I found even mundane convos and interactions between characters to be interesting whereas in FFXII most characters have the charisma of a plank of wood and nothing interesting ever occurs from beginning to end

You: I've bought Kingsglaive FOUR TIMES

Any and all arguments you pose are absolutely invalid and henceforth should not be countenanced by a reply. Keep fuckin that hyperbole chicken.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've never gotten past the 60ish% mark.

The gameplay is not my cup of tea, but it's fine. It's a bit more cumbersome than other games with gambits like DA:O, but it's also not as tough. The plot felt pretty whatever. I thought maybe I just wasn't into the political stuff when I was younger, but nope, still not grabbing me. I've also never enjoyed the setting of Ivalice, tbh. It's the same handful of races, same sandy desert yellows and light browns. Just not in the same stratosphere of catchiness of say, Spira or Pulse.

Overall, I can see why people love the game, but I just don't. It's a shame because I like games adjacent to its gameplay, theming, and setting.

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought it multiple times but I think I'm even more weird than OP.

I only liked the original and find Zodiac Job System much less enjoyable. I liked that if I wanted to farm job points my characters could just learn whatever I wanted them too, it was a cool new take on Sphere Grid/Materia system to me and not the restrictive thing it became with having to choose specific job boards.
I completely agree with you on this. The Zodiac job system was a huge regression on the original and not an improvement.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Except that's not how the game works so...
Seems like they kinda wanted to make the player feel like that's how it works. The reason they did the Zodiac Job version instead of the usual "International" version where all they do is give the JP audience the English voice acting was widespread criticism that the original version was just waaay too easy breezy. Which it was.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ppl who find XII's gameplay fun or the story even remotely interesting perplex me

And before someone tries to say "it's SUPER POLITICAL it's not for everyone" miss me with that BS there's nothing complex or interesting going on with the politics or overall plot

There is quite a bit going on with the plot of XII- it's so complex in fact that most players miss the point of it entirely. In almost all cases, FFXII isn't about what you think it is.

An example of a political JRPG story done right is Suikoden III

Really tough to take you seriously with this one. Suiko III is considered "average" even by people who really like suikoden. The only one that gets less respect is IV.

Dozens of characters I cared about and I found even mundane convos and interactions between characters to be interesting whereas in FFXII most characters have the charisma of a plank of wood and nothing interesting ever occurs from beginning to end

FFXII requires you to read a lot of material outside of the main dialogue to "get" the plot, much like Dark Souls does. If you did not do this, it's not a surprise you're confused about the game.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Excluding the MMO numbered Final Fantasy games, FFXII joins FFXV as the only two Numbered Final Fantasy games I have never beaten. Although unlike Final Fantasy XV, I actually played FFXII. I am pretty sure I spent more time grinding rare item drops from enemies searching out for rare enemies than I did going through the story. I didn't dislike the gambit system since it reminded my of Dragon Age: Origins combat, but neither the story or characters interested me at all.

Maybe one day I will beat the game. I also bought the game three times: PS2, PS4, and Switch. Though the PS2 purchase was post launch after the price had dropped.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten past the 60ish% mark.

The gameplay is not my cup of tea, but it's fine. It's a bit more cumbersome than other games with gambits like DA:O, but it's also not as tough. The plot felt pretty whatever. I thought maybe I just wasn't into the political stuff when I was younger, but nope, still not grabbing me. I've also never enjoyed the setting of Ivalice, tbh. It's the same handful of races, same sandy desert yellows and light browns. Just not in the same stratosphere of catchiness of say, Spira or Pulse.

Overall, I can see why people love the game, but I just don't. It's a shame because I like games adjacent to its gameplay, theming, and setting.

Yeah. I LOVE FFT's Ivalice, but aside from a few isolated locales FFXII's is just a burned-out desert and it's so boring.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a go when zodiac age came out and I just wasn't a fan of the combat at all. I remember getting stuck on some bridge with a giant monster coming at you and never went back. Maybe eventually I'll try again.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Seems like they kinda wanted to make the player feel like that's how it works. The reason they did the Zodiac Job version instead of the usual "International" version where all they do is give the JP audience the English voice acting was widespread criticism that the original version was just waaay too easy breezy. Which it was.

That is still not the way the game works.

Even in the original release of TZA, the player picks an initial job (out of 12, corresponding to the zodiac signs) but as soon as you beat Belias in the tomb of Raithwall you unlock a SECOND job for each character and Belias is encountered REALLY damned early. I can't be bothered to google it but if it's 15 hours in I'd be surprised.

There is no way for the player to "permanently fuck themselves" when each of the six characters is free to pick 2 jobs each. Even if you picked 6 white mages and realized you messed up it's an easy fix.

The later update that hit in spring 2020 added a reset to the job board, so it's not even remotely true for the current edition of the game. Everyone is free to pick anything.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Controversial opinion

The narratives of FFXII and FFXV are the least stupid deep fried weeb shit the Final Fantasy series has to offer. I really appreciate that.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Controversial opinion

The narratives of FFXII and FFXV are the least stupid deep fried weeb shit the Final Fantasy series has to offer. I really appreciate that.

Not controversial at all, I agree with you. The lack of your typical "plucky teens save the world" nonsense in that game is what elevates it, but also why certain gamers really hate it.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
That is still not the way the game works.

Even in the original release of TZA, the player picks an initial job (out of 12, corresponding to the zodiac signs) but as soon as you beat Belias in the tomb of Raithwall you unlock a SECOND job for each character and Belias is encountered REALLY damned early. I can't be bothered to google it but if it's 15 hours in I'd be surprised.

There is no way for the player to "permanently fuck themselves" when each of the six characters is free to pick 2 jobs each. Even if you picked 6 white mages and realized you messed up it's an easy fix.

The later update that hit in spring 2020 added a reset to the job board, so it's not even remotely true for the current edition of the game. Everyone is free to pick anything.
I know, I've played the ZJS multiple times. Just saying, Squeenix literally wanted people to think the Job system would make the game much more difficult, so I don't fault anyone for making these assumptions. I made them too, before I played it.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Not controversial at all, I agree with you. The lack of your typical "plucky teens save the world" nonsense in that game is what elevates it, but also why certain gamers really hate it.

I could see that as a criticism of FF VIII on, but the first 6 or 7 games don't have that feel at all. They're clichéd in other ways, but I wouldn't call them teen empowerment fantasies.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike the game, but I've started it three times over the last decade or so, and eventually just drop it for some reason. I'm not even quite sure why. Maybe it's because I never get far enough, but my only real complaint is that the gambits they do let you set up are very limited. I would probably enjoy that aspect more if I felt like I could get creative with it.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could see that as a criticism of FF VIII on, but the first 6 or 7 games don't have that feel at all. They're clichéd in other ways, but I wouldn't call them teen empowerment fantasies.

Even VIII this isn't really true. In fact one of the major themes of the game is people placing all these expectations a young person who actively doesn't want it. They just want to do their job, make their money and get through life with out all these roles/expectations thrust on them by those who decide that it's what's best for them with out listening to what the person wants.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I've bought it 3 times and still haven't played it
I think I even bought the guide with it on PS2

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Even VIII this isn't really true. I'm fact one of the major themes of the game is people placing all these expectations a young person who actively doesn't want it. They just want to do their job, make their money and get through life with out all these roles/expectations thrust on them by those who decide that it's what's best for them with out listening to what the person wants.

The first time you tell a story about teens at a fantasy school, there's a lot of nuance you can add in to make it more than just a cliche-fest. I don't think FF VIII has a terrible story, but I understand the complaint that it kicked off a negative trend in JRPGs as a whole.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

a VERY large percentage of the fanbase discovered FF with 7, which is not coincidentally still the most popular entry, decades later. And that one *definitely* fits the bill with specially powered teenagers saving the world from a god-entity and sets the tone for much of what came after it.

I agree that the prior entries don't exactly fit that bill (the warriors of light in FF1 were 4 randoms with no names, Cecil in FF4 was clearly an adult, despite his "chosen one" status, FF6 is an ensemble affair) but for as much as the hardcore love those games VERY few people played them prior to the release of FF7. FF4 and FF6 only sold something like 300k copies in the west.

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Regular XII is fine

TZA on PC with The Struggle for Freedom mod is riding the border right between 'fantastic' and 'incredible'

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I always end up dropping the game at around the time you get the Holy spell. I try but the combat/gambit system really does not work for me.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean...Why? From my experience of you don't like a game the first two times around, you're not gonna like it the third time around either. You don't have to like every critically acclaimed game out there, they're not always going to align to our tastes. I think Xenoblade 2, since you mentioned Rex in the OP, is probably the worst JRPG to have come out in ten years (and that's including Idea Factory stuff!) but it's okay that I don't like it as others love it and are more than free to do so.

We all need to learn to just accept that not every game will be for us.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't the biggest fan of the game and never finished my playthrough, but I'm guilty of double dipping on switch for the reversible cover:

dJMgaSx.png

Oct 31, 2017
You: I've bought Kingsglaive FOUR TIMES

Any and all arguments you pose are absolutely invalid and henceforth should not be countenanced by a reply. Keep fuckin that hyperbole chicken.
Did I say that I like Kingsglaive? The whole point of this thread is buying something u don't like numerous times

Sorry my opinion clearly offends you. FFXII is boring, not a hyperbole

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a problem ive seen in this forum. Just because its a mainline franshise in a classic series like Final Fantasy, Mario or Zelda dosent meant you should like it or that its good. I like FF12, but i can see how the automation, political story that ignores character development and setting can turn people off.

For examples of shitty mainline entries see:

Final Fantasy II, III, 8, 13, 13-2
Mario Sunshine
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Resident Evil 6
Devil May Cry 2
Assassins Creed III
Halo 5 Guardians Campaign

Its an opinion, like assholes, everybody has one and if someone gets offended or makes a personal slide remark towards you, its their problem.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is a problem ive seen in this forum. Just because its a mainline franshise in a classic series like Final Fantasy, Mario or Zelda dosent meant you should like it or that its good. I like FF12, but i can see how the automation, political story that ignores character development and setting can turn people off.

For examples of shitty mainline entries see:

Final Fantasy II, III, 8, 13, 13-2
Mario Sunshine
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Resident Evil 6
Devil May Cry 2
Assassins Creed III
Halo 5 Guardians Campaign

Its an opinion, like assholes, everybody has one and if someone gets offended or makes a personal slide remark towards you, its their problem.

Everyone has opinions, but sticking FFVIII and XIII-2 down with Resident Evil 6 and DMC 2 (which aren't just "bad" but "fundamentally broken" games) is the hottest of hot takes and you know this.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten bored and quit anywhere from 30%-80% multiple times. Think I've only paid for it once, though.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I hated it when it came out and still bought it a second time on PC. I now enjoy it for what it is. It becomes much more of a Final Fantasy story in the later half.

The pacing in the game is so broken and awful, it's only playable with the fast forward functionality of Zodiac IMO.

May 24, 2021
I liked it ok when I played the original back when it launched, but there's a few things in the game that drove me nuts and have kept from from touching it again: The chest RNG, the weather RNG for some of the hunts, and the weird "chain" system for killing monsters and how that affected item drops. If I remember right, there was also just general RNG for some monsters even showing up.

The biggest thing keeping me from trying out Zodiac Age now though is that I just don't think I'll like the combat/gambit system now

It's funny, a lot of the reason I originally bought DQ8 because it had the FF12 demo. Then I ended up not liking FF12 very much, and DQ8 became one of my GoaTs.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I do similar things often... I think it's because the overriding thinking is that I might click with a game later or when I'm in the right mindset for it. Sometimes that thinking pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm going through something like that right now with Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Tried twice, sold twice, rebought digitally recently during the sale, and I've been pleasantly surprised that I'm clicking with it this time. Glad that's the case, because I'm stuck with it now. LOL

Before that, it was World of Final Fantasy. Thought I was destined to not like it, but I hit a point in its second half where things just clicked, and it ended up being great. I hope that happens to me with Returnal, which I just rebought as well.

niaobx

Banned
Aug 3, 2020
It's your money OP and you can obviously spend it however you want but buying a game you don't like 3 times is such a waste.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I did that with Skyrim over it's long lifetime....I like the idea but it's always.... Not for me.

The VR version was the last time but I want something that plays intuitively and naturally with the complexity branching off of a very solid "pick up and play" base.

The jank is real.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Sort of understand you OP. I only bought it twice and while I never hated XII, in fact I put 80+ hours into the original release, I never finished it and never really understood the intense devotion it gets from fans. So I thought I'd give the Zodiac Age a go to see if my opinion had softened any, but after a couple hours it was a big "Nope!" I do not have it in me to go through that dry, poorly-paced story again.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I got up to some demon wall boss and quit I think. That's the farthest I got, back in the day on PS2. I was struggling to enjoy it up til that point and once it challenged me I decided it wasn't in the willpower cards.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
There is quite a bit going on with the plot of XII- it's so complex in fact that most players miss the point of it entirely. In almost all cases, FFXII isn't about what you think it is.

Really tough to take you seriously with this one. Suiko III is considered "average" even by people who really like suikoden. The only one that gets less respect is IV.

FFXII requires you to read a lot of material outside of the main dialogue to "get" the plot, much like Dark Souls does. If you did not do this, it's not a surprise you're confused about the game.
I like XII as much as the next person but its not that deep, dude.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It is an acquired taste for sure, but sometimes you just gotta give up. Happened to me with both Metro and Bioshock series, not a hint of guilt.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Same I have done that for both XII and XIII. XII never did click for me but it has more to do with gameplay not clicking. I like half the cast, I like the world enough, and its cinematic style (not so much the plot).

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I finally recently gave it a decent shake with Zodiac Age after bouncing off the original release, and I'm finding it okay.

I still don't know what the fuck I'm doing in regards to gambits and the license board (though I do recognize that I have a lot more room to do things there due to the QoL changes essentially allowing me to respec) and looking up tips just leads me to literal essays on how it all works, but I'm finding it a bit more palatable this time around. I don't love the combat either, but I'm dealing with it.

Cast, VA and world design are great, though. Top notch, even.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they thought "you know the best way to do a job system in the 20xxs? unchangeable jobs that you pick at the beginning of the game, allowing you to PERMANENTLY FUCK your playthrough if you pick the wrong set of jobs".
It's actually better that way. Giving everyone access to all jobs/skills/equipment leads to the same problem that XII Vanilla had, which was that in terms of gameplay, all characters were basically the same and there was no individuality. Besides, Zodiac Age gave everyone access to two jobs, so it's harder to "permanently fuck your playthrough".

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember buying DQ8 just for the demo of FFXII that came with it.

Then I bought the game at launch and I hated it.

Then I bought Zodiac Age on the Switch and I still don't like it. Vaan and Penelo just suuuuuck, the gambit system automates the game too much and the license board is.. stupid.