• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Good scores so far.
I'm very glad for Pixel Opus and their small team!

Seems like a visually stunning game and has a lot of heart.

I will definitely pick this up after my Holiday wave of games i.e. DOOM and DS.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Just read several reviews, looks good
Don't understand why the game releases 1 day later in Europe though

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never trusted anything coming out of EGM since their Aliens Colonial Marines debacle.

giphy.gif

Never Forget. :)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more reviews

Echo Boomer (liked-a-lot, review in portuguese):
After a few delays, Pixelopus brings us one of the most adorable games of the year on PlayStation 4. Concrete Genie is a satisfying and emotional journey that uses fantasy and imagination to deliver strong and educational messages, with a fun, smart and fun game. unexpected.

PlayStation Galaxy (8/10):
Overall, Concrete Genie is such a great medium for educating children on the effects of being a bully and practicing their virtuoso skills at the same time. Parents won't have any problems with language nor content. Casual gameplay that will make you blissful most of the time. A Storyline that will keep you wanting to discover more, not just the characters back story but what happens eventually when you save Denska. I am displeased with that glitched pathway and awkward parkour movement but overall I still enjoyed the game and I understand loud and clear the message it wants to shout to its audience.

Gameplanet (8/10):
Concrete Genie is a wonderful game for younger gamers. From its stunning graphics and art style to the heartwarming story of childhood and the effects we can have on others, the game delivers its message beautifully. I just wish it could have been a bit longer. It's definitely a bit simple for adults, but if you're looking for the perfect game to play with your kids, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's one of the most lovely little adventures I've been on this year.

GamePro Germany (77/100, review in german):
If you've been (or still are) doodle kids like me and are looking for a game where you can brainstorm creatively, but still save the world, I can only recommend Concrete Genius to you.

Worth Playing (7.5/10):
Alas, Concrete Genie is far less than the sum of its parts. A strong early game is lost by a bizarre late-game twist that undoes a lot of the charm. If it had just focused on the genies or had been about combat from the start, Concrete Genie would be a much more cohesive experience. Instead, the game has a lot of good moments but ends on a particularly dissatisfying note. There's still a lot to enjoy, but the flaws stand out as brightly as the strengths.

GameZone (7.5/10):
Even though Concrete Genie frequently fails to meet the heights of its gameplay potential, it's the kind of game that I'm glad Sony is pushing as a small but strong exclusive for PS4. It sets itself apart from all the other games coming this fall both in its sense of positivity and lush beauty making it a welcome pallet cleanser.

Vandal (7.5/10, review in spanish):
Despite its playable limitations, the ups and downs in its development and its low ambition, the best that can be said of Concrete Genie is that it is a warm game, played with a smile and that leaves a good memory, which is not little. Moving in a strange terrain, because it is not an indie or a great production, it is a very original and different proposal to what Sony has accustomed us, and despite their shortcomings we would like to see more often that they dared with titles like this , that go out of the ordinary, and the grandiloquent; Smaller games, but they are made with care and love.

Areajugones (7.5/10, review in spanish):
Pixelopus creates a beautiful work in Concrete Genie, with some interesting mechanics and a positive message to its audience. However, various factors of the game are not very ambitious, and its short duration and lack of replay can cause the launch to not shine in the way in which its bases capture the potential.

GameMAG (6/10, review in russian):
Concrete Genie could be called a cute and socially important game that touches on environmental issues, but in reality it is an example of when there is nothing more behind a vibrant concept and deep images, and a dull mechanics sends a great idea to the box for New Year's discount projects.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it's reviewing decently, well done to Pixelopus and I hope they continue to build on their work for years to come :)

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Glad to see that reviews are good (generally speaking), game looks beautiful and unique. Probably won't get it day one, but it's definitely on my radar.

Mar 29, 2018
Just read several reviews, looks good
Don't understand why the game releases 1 day later in Europe though
Literally have the day off with the GF, booted it up and saw I have 12 hours to wait.

The fuck?

Fuck
I want to play this, never knew I wanted a comedy Aliens game!
There was that hilarious (tragic) bug that someone only found last year, where it turns out a typo in the code was deactivating like half the game's AI and when you fix the typo suddenly the aliens actually become fun to engage with and move around normally and flank you and shit

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like good scores outside of a few reviewers who did not click with the game's approach.
Looking forward to playing with it, and my kids I expect will also enjoy it a lot.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inverse (no score):
Is this nitpicky? Sure, but a lack of polish hurts some wonderful and creative gameplay elsewhere in Concrete Genie. The price tag gives a little cover to these issues, but I'd be happy with a longer, better game even if it was more expensive. I'd even wish for one, if the genies would let me.

Fan Fest (no score):
Concrete Genie is something special. It's not the largest game, but it builds something bigger than what it is. It takes a real issue and reminds us of what matters. It fuses charming gameplay into an art form. In any case, it makes me want to play it again and makes me hope for a sequel. While you are limited in your control of the painting, that's not a dealbreaker. Too much control would take away from the heart of the game. It gives you the ability to create, to love, and to save. The last act's gameplay twists threw me for a loop and shows the versatility of Pixelopus. Then you have two PSVR modes thrown in as a bonus? And all for thirty bucks?

I urge you, please give Concrete Genie a try. You won't regret one second of this enchanting adventure.

UploadVR (no score, review of the VR mode):
Better to take this at face value, then, and enjoy its shallow surface. Blobby painted companion, Splotch, is a joy to hang out with, dithering about in lovably clumsy fashion. Whipping up rainbows and winds carries a soothing flow. Once you're done, you can also visit some of the main game's other locales in VR, which offers small pleasures.

It's all quickly forgotten, though. A shame given the potential to mix the unparalleled freedom of VR's creative tools with a narrative built around your artistic choices. Perhaps that's a story for another time, though. As it stands, Concrete Genie's PSVR offering won't offend with its vibrant palette. It just won't do much else, either.

Gaming Nexus (10/10):
Concrete Genie is one of the best games of this generation—an experience that expands the parameters of what video games can be. By embracing values like artistry, empathy, and beauty, this is a title that will appeal to gamers that might be feeling a bit world-weary, bringing color to a world that has been feeling a bit gray lately. If you have ever wondered why video games have to be so violent and dehumanizing, then do the industry a favor and support this game. And lest I forget to mention: Concrete Genie is a lot of fun to play.

GamerBraves (4.5/5):
Concrete Genie is one game where you simply want to relax and uplift your soul. There's much to discover, hidden within the Darkness of Denska. What was it like before? Why does Ash want to return to the town? Listen to the echoes of the past. You don't need to erase what was there before. All it needs is a new coat of (magic) paint!

Maybe all you need is colour and art to relight the spark within you. Find that joy once more, as you follow Ash and his retinue of Genies. Remember to smile!

Gaming Target (9/10):
Concrete Genie is a whimsical adventure that I greatly enjoyed playing. I don't really have any complaints as everything seemed to work the way it was supposed to work. The world is beautiful and I enjoyed how I could play my part in creating my own canvas on the side of buildings and some other areas. The characters that you encounter play their part well and I especially liked my genie friend Luna. Luna is a heartwarming character that serves as part of Ash's motivation to restore Denska. Overall Concrete Genie is a wonderful experience and one I can see myself going back to and playing. It is a smaller title that can probably be beat in one or two sessions but that only adds to its charm, in my opinion. Nothing is dragged out and everything seems to make sense. The development team at Pixelopus should be proud of what they created here and I do urge everyone to give this game a chance. This is a busy time of year with a lot of big releases but I think it is safe to say there is nothing coming out quite like Concrete Genie.

Glitched (8.5/10):
Concrete Genie is a short but sweet adventure. Its painting features are easy to master and extremely fun to use and there was nothing more satisfying than bringing the town of Denska back to life one district at a time. Do I wish it was a little bit longer? Yes, but the time I spent with the game was enjoyable and I will most likely go back and collect all the other goodies and paint every single wall available.

Millenium (82/100, review in french):
Pixelopus presents here a visually impressive work. Concrete Genie offers the player to become a true artist and give free rein to his imagination in a beautiful world. In a very short time, Ash becomes very endearing and sometimes even moves, we come to have compassion for this little artist who seeks to be free and make friends. Thanks to the presence of all the Genii, you never really feel alone in this chaos, these little beings are a real success. The life of the title and its replay value are the only things that could be deplored.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
Relaxed and thoughtful, beautiful and moving, Concrete Genie is a delightfully different game that plays out like an interactive animated movie with bags of character.

GamingBolt (8/10):
Concrete Genie is held back slightly by its reluctance to trust us with more freedom of creation, and its third act combat feels somewhat out of place. Still, it still manages to do a wonderful job of giving players a reason to explore its eerie and beautiful town and interact with its colorful genies, and its narrative is successful in merging two very different tones to tell a tale that bounces admirably between somber and lighthearted.

Sector (8/10, review in slovak):
Although Concrete Genie is a very interesting game with lots of qualities and some drawbacks, it is not easy to write about it if I don't want to reveal too much. The game touches on serious and still topical topics in a way that I would not expect, but at the same time it is a very good way to bring them to the attention of younger audiences. But the question is whether younger players will ever be interested in playing a game with a deeper meaning. Sony probably believes so much that the game has prepared a complete Czech localization - including dabignu. Anyway, as I have mentioned several times, even though the game has a story with quite predictable development, the chosen way in which the authors decided to tell it is important. Through the drawings that come to life on the walls that need you, but you need them as well. This symbiosis brings a variety of interesting moments, which make the relatively ordinary game becomes quite interesting work.

GameSpot (7/10):
Most of what Concrete Genie has to offer is fun and beautiful in a sort of childlike way. The game is not particularly difficult, and overcoming a puzzle or combat scenario isn't always satisfying. But it's ultimately still an endearing experience throughout. There's plenty of enjoyment to be found just from the act of exploring, and little hidden secrets along the way help make it worthwhile; I just wish Concrete Genie had more adventure waiting for me.

The Straits Times (7/10):
Concrete Genie is a relaxing romp that feels almost like a colouring book for adults. Younger audiences will likely take to its wholesome story and gorgeous visuals.

Atomix (7/10, review in spanish):
If you are in the mood to play something quite light and short that only makes you have a good time, it seems to me that you should give Concrete Genie a chance, because I think that is precisely its goal. If otherwise, you expect a sophisticated game with advanced game mechanics that plunge you into a great adventure, I am sorry to tell you that you will not find it here. It seems to me that the next step of a study like PixelOpus that has all the support of an SIE-sized machinery should set higher goals for what may be its next project, as I have said throughout this review. , it feels that there is great potential that we could not see exploited on this occasion.

VideoGamer.com (7/10):
At times, Concrete Genie can be a little too pleasant, which makes the action-packed conclusion really jarring. Still, the contrast between Ash's fantasy and his reality is truly stunning.

Android Central (3/5):
There is limited appeal here and I don't think Concrete Genie is suited for a majority of people. Children or teenagers will likely enjoy it the most. The gameplay mechanics are barebones and there isn't much to it, but it's fun enough for what it is.

If you were really looking forward to this game and it looks right up your alley, it's definitely worth the price. But for everyone else, it's probably best to give this a pass, unless you want an easy platinum trophy.

Last edited:

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Cant wait to get stuck in, impressive work from such a small studio with only one game behind them. Hopefully Sony build on Pixelopus and create other AA studios.

Linkinito

Oct 28, 2017
France
JeuxActu (7/10, review in french)
Undeniably, the biggest strength of Concrete Genie is in its charming art direction where it's possible to be fully involved: not only the game is surprisingly pretty, but the numerous creations that we can draw more or less freely give the game a delightful and singular soul. However, that idyll quickly shows its weaknesses, especially on the points that makes it a video game instead of a fully-fledged experience: from gameplay to level design, passing by platforming and narration, it makes an ensemble that is too fragile and too generic to be gut-wrenching for us, not being able to reinvent itself strongly. Without reaching the summits of independent game studios, Concrete Genie is nonetheless an endearing pictural work which is worth a look, as long as you're liking pretty landscapes and have a heart of stone.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Glad this is getting solid reviews! I'll definitely pick it up at some point and add it to my massive backlog of games that I would like to play eventually.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. Seems many reviewers are very passionate about it too even if far from everyone. Games which are a bit divisive like that are more likely to be something special than those that rate 7-8 across the board.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meio Bit (no score, review in portuguese):
Concrete Genie is not an innovative game, but it is an interesting experience for those looking for a family title. It addresses current issues such as the environment and bullying in a particular way through the eyes of a young man who has allowed himself to maintain childlike habits.

This is a game that may not be among the most sensational on PS4, but it is certainly one of the most original of 2019.

GamingBoulevard (9/10):
Concrete Genie is a special game, it combines unique gameplay with a truly touching story about facing your problems. Seeing your world come to life on the dark concrete of Denska city is a magical feeling that will make you come back for more, over and over again. It's not your typical PlayStation game but if you give it a chance, I promise it will conquer your heart in mere seconds.

SA Gamer (8.5/10):
Concrete Genie aims to literally bring your imagination and creativity to life. Splashing the urban city of Denska with paint fills you with child-like wonder as you go from wall to wall creating stunning works of art. While the game is extremely easy and short, it spends every second trying to make you feel happy and it does so with shocking frequency. It's often an overused word, but Concrete Genie truly is beautiful.

intheGame (8.5/10, review in dutch):
With impressive visuals and art-driven storytelling, Concrete Genie provides a unique experience that will take you away. The first part of the game plays much more quietly than the second part, when the combat makes its entrance and increases the tension. This really provides a sense of progression in which your powers will increase and your bond with the geniuses will become stronger. You will feel involved without too much talking in the game.

The unique story that focuses on empathy, self-expression and self-discovery provides an inspiring message. This is certainly a feel good game.

Although Concrete Genie is not very long, there is still plenty to do in the game. Even after playing the game you will be able to continue to collect a whole bunch of collectibles. They are really not worthless collectibles. These often consist of concept art pieces or extra pages, with new geniuses or features for geniuses from Ash's sketchbook.

GamersRD (8/10, review in spanish):
It really is just a vehicle, an opportunity and an excuse for the player to imagine, design and create beautifully animated street art pieces. The tranquility of that experience would say, justify playing this beautiful game.

CGMagazine (7.5/10):
Concrete Genie is best summed up as one of those short and sweet types of deals and is best reserved for those who may have young people in their lives. Not only does the game offer a fun adventure, but more importantly, one that has a meaningful message about some of the struggles faced by adolescence.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't pay attention to reviews, but I've had my eye on this game for a long time! I had no idea it was releasing this week, and am so unprepared to buy it. Will have to wait for next week, sadly. At least that will give me more time to chip away at my backlog...

it looks like a beautiful game, so I can't wait to spend a relaxing weekend playing it!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Great to see those positive reviews. Sounds like it's super short sadly.
Hopefully it'll be put on PS+ at some point and many people will enjoy it.

Deleted member 57990

Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I'm really glad this seems to have turned out well. Always happy to support new, original games made by smaller teams.