• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you concerned about Stadia and Luna full AAA exclusives?

• Yes.

Votes: 54 25.8%
  • No.

Votes: 140 67.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 15 7.2%

• Total voters

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I have seen some people voice some concerns that I am not always sure if they are being serious or trolling. This thread could serve as a way to clarify alternatives for those who are legitimaly concerned about these things and (dont ask me how), dont know any better.

Some of the concerns I have seen:

1- Digital games - This is the biggest one I have seen (for some it is because of data caps, or wanting to lend and borrow games, sell or buy them cheap etc), new digital only consoles are a concern for some, but they are optional, there are still disc versions, PC games are digital yes and there are also some digital only games on console, lots of them you can buy physical. I do believe digital is the future, but we are not there yet on consoles, at least not for next gen at the very least, beyond that who knows, for now you still have options.

2 - Gamepass - As a segue, some say gamepass has too many games so you end up not knowing what to play, but you can buy any gamepass game at a discount even, so you can play whatever you want whenever you want. I have also heard people say gamepass strips you of ownership of your games and that they want you to pay for gamepass ad infinitum instead of buying the game and be done with it, to which I just repeat what I said in the first part, you can still buy any gamepass game whenever you want, you dont have to subscribe to play anything, some will say that is the case for now but in the near future there will be gamepass exclusives, meaning you cant buy those games, but we have no indication of that, so that is just baseles speculation on something that is just not the case right now. Also here streaming is an option if that is a concern, you can play all those streaming games natively if you want, if someone comes with the same response that this is temporary, my answer is the same as before. So again all of this paragraph is optional, you have options.

3 - Auto HDR - This one less so, but concerns that games look funky with it or that you like the original look better, you can turn this off, it is optional so you still have options.

Now one that I would be concerned about if it ever happens is Stadia and Luna full AAA exclusives if they decided to invest heavily into it, that is because neither google or amazon offer native hardware you can play those games on, if they are also released on PC it is a little better, still xbox and playstation players would get shafted (fully funded content from google and amazon should go wherever they want it to, but it is just unfortunate if the only option with those are streaming), they will still be easily accessable when luna is integrated with prime and twitch and maybe stadia with youtube integration too. It is just that streaming only is unfortunate for those with low speeds, data caps or who live far from cloud servers, I dont have fiber and only have 50 down speeds and as far as I know there is only an Azure server near me, so I am out of luck. I will add a poll for this one to see if I am alone on this.

You can discuss these and other concerns you have seen and what the solution for those would be.

Last edited:

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
Manny who lives in the wilds of Alaska will not be able to easily download that day one console patch.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Things are optional until they aren't. If they catch on, then they trend to no longer being optional. So I get the idea of pushing back against things to try and prevent them from catching on. It's pretty well known that convenience trumps quality and some people don't want to see the loss in quality.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm not worried about streaming only AAA games because if they are locked to Luna/Stadia or some other service I likely just won't play them. I have enough that I can play locally and smoothly on my PC and game consoles

Part of the reason I am glad that Microsoft were the ones to buy Zenimax, I would have been pretty disappointed to see those games locked to Amazon/Google

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
My PlayStation + PC backlog, current and future, is too big to be worried about missing out on exclusives launched on platforms that aren't shaking the very foundation of video gaming at the moment. I'll survive.

EDIT: I actually had to look up Luna right now to see what it was.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Who in the world would complain about Auto HDR? That's a great feature, that you can turn off. šŸ™ƒ

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
am i really concerned about digital no. But if u take a second to think....how many licenses expire and thus the games are no longer allowed to be sold. This doesn't seem to happen in every case of a licensed game. But its def happened with Marvel and Ninja Turtle games.

rn there isn't one Ninja turtle game u can buy digitally on xbox.

We've seen instances in sports games where individuals are removed. Usually its not much of a problem as 1 person is not integral. But say the main person the game is centered around does something crazy. Then they remove that game from digital distribution.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
am i really concerned about digital no. But if u take a second to think....how many licenses expire and thus the games are no longer allowed to be sold. This doesn't seem to happen in every case of a licensed game. But its def happened with Marvel and Ninja Turtle games.

We've seen instances in sports games where individuals are removed. Usually its not much of a problem as 1 person is not integral. But say the main person the game is centered around does something crazy. Then they remove that game from digital distribution.
What about the latest one from platinum?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Games locked inside of a streaming service, preventing real ownership aren't really a new concept. Games like Destiny 2, The Crew and Genshin Impact are doing fine.

I do think singleplayer content being tied to online services is a bad thing, but the point is that consumers are already demonstrating that this isn't an issue for them, so this is the way some games will go.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Games locked inside of a streaming service, preventing real ownership aren't really a new concept. Games like Destiny 2, The Crew and Genshin Impact are doing fine.

I do think singleplayer content being tied to online services is a bad thing, but the point is that consumers are already demonstrating that this isn't an issue for them, so this is the way some games will go.
Isnt godfall like that? Anyway youre right that this trend seems more like consumers gradually moving towards digital instead of being forced, PC is leagues ahead in that already so it sort of feels inevitable (infrastructure notwithstanding), there will be a lot who will complain if digital is the only option though even if the majority wouldnt care.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about single-player exclusives being tied to Stadia or Luna because if those servers go down, those games could be lost if they aren't released elsewhere. I don't know if I would even be interested in those games, but if games are essentially lost to time because they aren't released digitally on PC at the very least, that would be a real shame to all fans and creators.

This is the same concern I have for digital games. If they are pulled from servers they very well end up unplayable like P.T. Ideally, we wouldn't have to rely on physical games for preservation, but as long as there are strict rules preventing the release of something like P.T. which serves no real financial loss to anyone, I'll always be concerned about relying solely on digital media, though streaming is far scarier.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Isnt godfall like that? Anyway youre right that this trend seems more like consumers gradually moving towards digital instead of being forced, PC is leagues ahead in that already so it sort of feels inevitable (infrastructure notwithstanding), there will be a lot who will complain if digital is the only option though even if the majority wouldnt care.

Yeah I'm sure it is. It looks like a game of Warframe / Destiny's ilk.

Its popular because it allows the developers to control all the inputs and outputs inside their ecosystem. No one is cheating and thereby devaluing their monetisation strategies, and things like that.

Developers will tell you that they're trying to protect you from cheaters, but in reality it's the former. They don't want players having free options to attain things that they want to sell, and they don't want the value perceptions of in-game achievements degraded because then it reduces their ability to monetise things that might be either directly or indirectly associated with those accomplishments.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I will check real quick.
Ninja turtles games, Deadpool, guardians of the galaxy, game of thrones, half of the WWE games, half of the Forza games.....all delisted from digital due to licensing. Gotta have physical disk or have already purchased them.

sports games, racing games and comic book games seem to be susceptible especially to disappearing.

I remember u couldn't get Scott Pilgrim for awhile. The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games last gen disappeared for like 2 years.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

What about the latest one from platinum?
nope. it comes up when u search. but it says unavailable
I just checked and you are right, you can see it on the store but you cant buy it. Some games are delisted like that, if we digital only stuff gets delisted it is awful.

Curiously enough, looking for it on the store I found a simite add on and an injustice 2 add on, and those are still purchaseable, weird stuff that tmnt in manhattan would be delisted but not those add ons.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Ninja turtles games, Deadpool, guardians of the galaxy, game of thrones, half of the WWE games, half of the Forza games.....all delisted from digital due to licensing. Gotta have physical disk or have already purchased them.

sports games, racing games and comic book games seem to be susceptible especially to disappearing.

I remember u couldn't get Scott Pilgrim for awhile. The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games last gen disappeared for like 2 years.
You beat me to the response to your post, it is just above.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I just checked and you are right, you can see it on the store but you cant buy it. Some games are delisted like that, if we digital only stuff gets delisted it is awful.

Curiously enough, looking for it on the store I found a simite add on and an injustice 2 add on, and those are still purchaseable, weird stuff that tmnt in manhattan would be delisted but not those add ons.
it depends on the contracts im assuming. EA Sports must do something in contracts to prevent this. Since none of their big sports games seem to ever get delisted. Maybe it has something to do with "players associations". But by and large this is why sports games weren't backwards compatible on XB1 from 360. And game where a license could get them sued. Like Guitar Hero and stuff with music never carries over either.
Im still shocked the Boxing game Fight Night is backwards compatible. Idk how that works. Cuz wouldn't they have to go back and repay old boxers from like 15 years ago?

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah I'm sure it is. It looks like a game of Warframe / Destiny's ilk.

Its popular because it allows the developers to control all the inputs and outputs inside their ecosystem. No one is cheating and thereby devaluing their monetisation strategies, and things like that.

Developers will tell you that they're trying to protect you from cheaters, but in reality it's the former. They don't want players having free options to attain things that they want to sell, and they don't want the value perceptions of in-game achievements degraded because then it reduces their ability to monetise things that might be either directly or indirectly associated with those accomplishments.
Sounds like a nightmare for mods (not that I know if anyone would want to mod godfall, but still for other games).

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm worried about single-player exclusives being tied to Stadia or Luna because if those servers go down, those games could be lost if they aren't released elsewhere. I don't know if I would even be interested in those games, but if games are essentially lost to time because they aren't released digitally on PC at the very least, that would be a real shame to all fans and creators.

This is the same concern I have for digital games. If they are pulled from servers they very well end up unplayable like P.T. Ideally, we wouldn't have to rely on physical games for preservation, but as long as there are strict rules preventing the release of something like P.T. which serves no real financial loss to anyone, I'll always be concerned about relying solely on digital media, though streaming is far scarier.
PC should be default for every game imo, because outside of emulators, if there are no options to buy a game you could still torrent it from someone who has it, streaming eliminates all of that.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Stadia/Lumia exclusivity (or exclusivity in general)... Not overly concerned about exclusive content. The reality is I don't have the time or the desire to spend the money required to play every single new thing anymore. I'll get some of them, that's good enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
PC should be default for every game imo, because outside of emulators, if there are no options to buy a game you could still torrent it from someone who has it, streaming eliminates all of that.
I mean, sure, in an ideal world we'd have one platform to play all games and PC's make the most sense for that, but I think a lot of people don't really consider how much more money a quality PC is than something like a Switch or a Switch lite that can be bought for a fraction of the cost. So, I don't know if PC only is the way, but absolutely if cheaper consoles still exist, while all games were on PC, that would be by far the best way to preserve games going forward.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
If they make them then all good. But thinking further it's no different to Sony monyhatting 3rd party games so even if timed I will play them when I can. I have too many games anyway.

Edit... saw there are lots of questions. Need to sleep so above is only for the poll question.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I mean, sure, in an ideal world we'd have one platform to play all games and PC's make the most sense for that, but I think a lot of people don't really consider how much more money a quality PC is than something like a Switch or a Switch lite that can be bought for a fraction of the cost. So, I don't know if PC only is the way, but absolutely if cheaper consoles still exist, while all games were on PC, that would be by far the best way to preserve games going forward.
I was more so hoping for the second part of your post, so what MS is doing, I want that to be common place.