• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This has been happening for a while now on pretty much all Dreams threads, and it's especially noticeable now that we're pretty much a week away from its release. In every Dreams thread, there's always people arguing the same tired, nonsensical points over and over. It really feels like it's people that never bothered to look at one second of footage of the game but still want to comment so they post whatever shit they can come up with. Some of these include:

- "But what do you do?"

This is pretty funny admitedly because it's probably not concern trolling in most cases, rather it's simply that people really can't believe the scope Dreams has and the extent of the things you can do. But the concept has been pretty clear from the start, you can make anything.

- "Creating things takes too much time, it's not like in LBP where you could get a good level made in 10 hours"

Sure. If you were to create absolutely everything from scratch, it'd take more time depending on what you wanted to make. But the good things about Dreams, is that you very rarely need to make everything from scratch. Assets, sound effects, music, characters, literally everything can be shared for you to use, and everything is editable too so if you're interested in the logic of one object but want to change the model, you can do that. It's incredibly simple to do games in Dreams even if you aren't good at anything.

- "They should offer templates because the characters people make don't feel good, takes too much time, etc."

They literally do that

- "People won't be making Dreams because they can't monetize them so it's a waste of time"

People make things for free all the time, and the Early Access has a loooot of dreams uploaded already.. The beauty of Dreams is that you can play, use and share everything completely for free, if you start monetizing stuff you've kinda ruined the whole point.

- "The game is going to die because everyone will move to the PS5, nobody will buy it, etc."

Mm has already said they have a 10 year plan for the game and that they'll support it beyond the PS4. Sony won't fund 7 years of development to have a game that only lives for 3 months.

- "They spent 7 years and the campaign is only 3 hours?"

This one really suprised me on the thread I made earlier about the campaign. On those seven years, Dreams was rebooted twice, most of the time was put into getting the editor as perfect as they could.
Not only that, but anyone that's played the game knows that Mm (and Mm employees) regularly uploads new content outside of the campaign, the EA has a couple of Mm-made games already.

And no, complaining about a lack of tutorials (which they'll thankfully fix for the full release), the lack of marketing that it's been getting or actual complaints of the game isn't concern trolling obviously. It's just a little annoying to see people constantly spout the same shit over and over when a minute of research would've proved that the assertion was incorrect. That's all.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doncha know that there are other game building engines out there? Well don't ya???

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Those thoughts seem fairly valid about the game. They're probably coming from folks who don't know everything about it.

I'm sure the game will be ok without you valiantly defending each potential criticism or doubt.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
claiming there should be a route for developers to get paid for their work is extremely different from claiming nobody will make Dreams games due to a lack of said route

I've seen the former actually brought up before but not the latter, though I haven't followed every Dreams thread.

Nov 2, 2018
This is a good thread.

It got beyond ridiculous when Unity was declared just as user friendly and accessible as Dreams.

I can literally make and upload a basic platformer in ten minutes and have it available for an audience of 100,000 people - and I don't know how to use most of the tools, I'm still a complete novice.

Dreams is not meant to replace traditional game design - it's aimed at a different mindset and a mostly different audience

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the monetise one they all seem pretty valid things for people to be asking.

And I don't think "You can make anything" is a good reply to someone asking "But what do you do?"

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
People are seriously still doing that? I understand if this was a month before release, but there have literally been 1000s of hours worth of content from the community since. Just tell people Dreams is a like your early 00s collection of flash games (which can get VERY high in quality, mind you), except in 3d.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're taking things too seriously if you're worried about concern trolling in the context of video games.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the monetise one they all seem pretty valid things for people to be asking.

And I don't think "You can make anything" is a good reply to someone asking "But what do you do?"

In Dreams you can play other peoples games or make your own games.

That isn't exactly complicated.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
No concerns, curiosity... it's really a disruptive game.

71Q9zoBAHoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My only concern is the box art lol. I don't think it's attractive.
Other than that, I think they could benefit from a price tier for those that only want to play and never create a single thing.
But since it already costs 40, I don't know. But it would be cool, I suppose.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I agree with several of the points in the OP being borderline trolling (how can anyone ask what you do in Dreams) but it Feels surreal to see valid concern about the brevity of the campaign dismissed as 'concern trolling'.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem is that people have forgotten or never cared for it in the first place. Seven years is a long time.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I was disappointed that the campaign was that short. But only because I remember how good they were in previous games (especially LBP2). But I know that the game is going to do great regardless, and I agree that most of those constant comments are really annoying.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Dreams is the best thing ever released on console.

If your an artist who is willing to deal with a steep learning curve it is the Second Coming.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with several of the points in the OP being borderline trolling (how can anyone ask what you do in Dreams) but it Feels surreal to see valid concern about the brevity of the campaign dismissed as 'concern trolling'.

yeah the framing of this thread is pretty absurd. definitely a careful selection of points to flatten into "concern trolling".

OP could've just said they were addressing common complaints voiced about Dreams but nah, this is Something Higher, The Trolls Are At It Again

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
It isn't a difference of opinion when it's ignorance, like some of the statements the OP references clearly are.
Just the fact that you're equating OP's examples with "differences of opinion" means you're falling for concern trolling

Making a thread to strawman arguments that haven't been presented here to make a show of allegiance to a game that hasn't been (fully) released yet led me to the point I was making; it seems as though OP doesn't like people disagreeing with a collective of reasons why not to like Dreams.

It's stan behavior, as I alluded to.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know "differences of opinion" means "concern trolling" if you stan a video game these days.
"Concern trolling" as a concept is incomprehensible to me, and it only ever seems to get used to try and nullify any criticisms at stuff people love a bit too much.

I like Dreams too, if I even need to clarify that. But most of the points being brought up these days are perfectly valid. Some people have some very inflated expectations of how "the most ambitious game ever made" will end up selling, being used for or for how long. For something so based around social, relaxed and joyful exploration, people need to chill and be more accepting of the input of others.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
currently wondering if my take of "I'll wait and see if there's eventually something I deeply want to play before buying Dreams because I'm confident I won't pour time into the creation tools and I'm not a huge fan of flipping through a catalog of content rapidly trying each item" is concern trolling

russian bots want to keep Mm down, you hate to see it

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Oh. Sorry. Wrong thread. I thought this was for No Man's Sky.

Kidding. But yeah. I've seen tons of those posts and as an Early Access user, this game is immense and it doesn't even have the campaign, multiplayer or VR yet.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- "People won't be making Dreams because they can't monetize them so it's a waste of time"

People make things for free all the time, and the Early Access has a loooot of dreams uploaded already.. The beauty of Dreams is that you can play, use and share everything completely for free, if you start monetizing stuff you've kinda ruined the whole point.
Nah, we live in a capitalist society. I love being creative and I'd love to get into games but I aint a charity and I need to eat and live. It doesnt ruin the point to expect compensation for weeks upon weeks of work and time pumped into something.

that is still my only grievance with Dreams. I'd rather just learn unity and a modelling program, atleast there I'm guaranteed to be able to sell my finished work.

I remember like a year ago they talked about trying to find ways for creators to monetize their work, so I'm not completely down on it, yet, however.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who owns Dreams, the biggest issue (by a huge margin) is that people have no idea how to make compelling 3D level design so I was hoping the campaign would illustrate 3D level design principles in a variety of genres to help people learn 3D level design.

So I'm pretty disappointed the campaign is so short because I doubt it will be able to teach 3D level design principles in a couple of hours.

It's also a little weird as it feels like there hasn't been many updates in Dreams.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll get a ton of positive press from its release period and this will clarify things. I guess I understand it some degree of confusion - it is a totally new thing. But I'd agree some of it is disingenuous - it's pretty clear what it is if you've made like anything above zero effort to look into it.

I'm also hoping we see at least some fucking minor promotion from sony in the next two weeks but not holding my breath :| Someone should tweet at Hulst - this would fall under his jurisdiction, yes? - cuz the shit is getting ridiculous.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Making a thread to strawman arguments that haven't been presented here to make a show of allegiance to a game that hasn't been released yet led me to the point I was making; it seems as though OP doesn't like people disagreeing with a collective of reasons why not to like Dreams.

It's stan behavior, as I alluded to.

But the game has been in EA for a while, and those arguments are ones I've definitely seen before even post-EA for Dreams. Are there reasons not to like Dreams? I'm absolutely sure there are. Are some of there reasons he posted to argue against ones that are invalid? 100%

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I do have one question/concern though-

Although it is highly unlikely, would there be a legal recourse if someone rips one your creations by recreating it (notably partly or wholly) in a different engine and making it commercially available via something like Steam?

"Concern trolling" as a concept is incomprehensible to me, and it only ever seems to get used to try and nullify any criticisms at stuff people love a bit too much.

To you perhaps it is incomprehensible but that does not stop from being a real thing.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
This game brings to mind a scene from Big, fans desperately trying to explain what Dreams is or Sony execs being persuaded to greenlight this during the early days

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Other than that, I think they could benefit from a price tier for those that only want to play and never create a single thing.
This is my first time seeing the box art and I think it looks fantastic actually.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that MM only had one employee working on that campaign, and (s)he was only dedicating half of their time at work to it.......that's still 2-3 hours of content generated over a span of multiple years, over hundreds upon hundreds of hours. What hope does a single amateur have if that's what a pro is capable of? It becomes even more daunting when you consider that there were probably multiple people working on the campaign over multiple years. It doesn't demonstrate the ease of development so much as it demonstrates how immensely time-consuming it is.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, we live in a capitalist society. I love being creative and I'd love to get into games but I aint a charity and I need to eat and live. It doesnt ruin the point to expect compensation for weeks upon weeks of work and time pumped into something.

that is still my only grievance with Dreams. I'd rather just learn unity and a modelling program, atleast there I'm guaranteed to be able to sell my finished work.

I remember like a year ago they talked about trying to find ways for creators to monetize their work, so I'm not completely down on it, yet, however.

You can learn Unity and a modelling program and be able to sell your finished work, yes, because any old crap goes on Steam. Nobody will buy your first game though, because it will be shit, like everyone's first games are shit (unless you are Toby Fox undercover, and no, I don't think Undertale was the first game he ever created either).

Dreams lets you learn how to make games and design philosophy in a simple, convenient way, and build an audience. THEN you can make your indie darling success game in Unity and sell it.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
To you perhaps it is incomprehensible but that does not stop from being a real thing.
I'll bet mods will be able to tell much more accurately. My subjective and very limited experience is that rarely there's people obviously trolling by pretending to be worried about upcoming games, but the term "concern trolling" still gets thrown around all the time to kill any dissent or differing lines of thinking on any given topic.

And besides, honestly, if someone pretending to be worried about the success of an upcoming videogame is enough to get you riled up I think you are the one with a problem.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Obvious everything I'm going to say is from my own personal observation, understanding, and reflection.

All those points are valid. No one questioned Little Big Planet or Mario Maker because those are straight forward, easily understandable, tangible concepts.

Whenever lots of people question "But what do you do?", I get flashbacks to No Man's Sky, Sea of Thieves, etc where people just do random things because there is no goal. Now with this game, that makes sense because it's literally just a glorified game engine where you play games other people make or make yourself. Here's the issues that may come with that though:

The general public doesn't care about interviews or tweets or blogs or "instruction videos" in terms of acquiring information about how a game literally functions. It should be natural, digestible, processible upon simple viewing, like Minecraft or Little Big Planet. When people see it and hear it, they should just get it. If people don't "get it", that means no one understands the value of what they're looking at. Sometimes too big a scope in a game creator like Dreams can be a bad thing; where it's too technical, too unfocused, too daunting for many to be interested in jumping in and hunting down all the little bits of info about the game.

To me personally, this game has no identity. There's no personality, no unique idea. It's just.... a thing that exists. Another game to make games. It's so grand in scope it has become vague and unrelatable with no emotional connection as a player. If someone likes playing Mario, they'd probably like playing more Mario with different levels. Someone who loves classic RPGs may like RPG Maker. But Dreams is too bland and mass market (ironically) for me. If I was inspired with the dream of creating great games, I'd learn a real engine and make real games under my own jurisdiction.

What doesn't help is the perception that all they'll get from Dreams is either watered down clones of other games, or short indie level experiences that have no true curation or word of mouth compared to the other billion indie games that release on Steam everyday. Plus (for me, and I know this is controversial but it is an element I cannot deny about my thoughts towards the games made in any "game in a game") it's the idea that if someone were to make an amazing, original game, they'd most likely make it out of a real game engine and release it on a real platform for legitimacy and officiality. I wouldn't go to Mario Maker for the next true Mario platformer experience. I'd wait until they make a new one to do that. If I'm waiting for the next big indie game experience, I'd look at the steam store, or any of the console online stores. I wonder if others feel the same way about this too.

Hopefully this helps explain from a different point of view why I don't care for Dreams. I've actually tried learning Unity too to make a game so you'd think this would excite me to finally be able to make the game in a much easier fashion, but no. Though I'm not sure if the points I'm bringing up are the concerned trolling you're talking about or just different topics entirely. If they launch it on PS5 when there's nothing to play, maybe this game will be looked at more

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
This will be the "YouTube" of gaming. Mark my words. As soon as streamers realize they can have a sidekick character made in dreams via green screen, it'll spread like wildfire.

Sep 25, 2018

I love the box art if I was a physical person i would so get it

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Not going to lie, I'm 100% going to be a consumer when it comes to Dreams. I don't have the skill set or willingness to create content within Dreams. It's hands down among the most impressive gaming feats I've ever seen, but at the end of the day, when the dust settles and my jaw retracts from the floor - I need to be having fun as a consumer. So I hope that content people create proves to be as fun as it is impressive, and then I'll 100% be happy.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Some of the questions and concerns are valid.

I remember when it was almost bannable to ask "what do you do" about No Man's Sky. After release it turned out people actually didn't understand it because the communication and marketing was vague and in a way deceptive.
Not saying this is another NMS, but if so many people have wrong opinions (according to you), maybe there's something wrong with the image that developers or the community have created?