• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
That they revise the ridged chin as this vein-y dental indentation just so perfectly encapsulates how Fox kept screwing this up. The shame in the weirdness of the original comic designs, the need to fix and recontextualize it so that it "makes sense" and "looks realistic", all of it. And yet here comes Captain Marvel giving us green dudes with pointy ears and ridged chins, toned down a bit from the comics but still properly representing them, and it's worked wonders.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
That they revise the ridged chin as this vein-y dental indentation just so perfectly encapsulates how Fox kept screwing this up. The shame in the weirdness of the original comic designs, the need to fix and recontextualize it so that it "makes sense" and "looks realistic", all of it. And yet here comes Captain Marvel giving us green dudes with pointy ears and ridged chins, toned down a bit from the comics but still properly representing them, and it's worked wonders.

It's hilarious, because it shows a basic misunderstanding of the source material. "It looks silly." Motherfucker, they're super hero comic books, that's the point.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
So they were thinking of going the Bayformers route of completely ignoring everything familiar about the source material... Oh wait... they're green and shapeshift. Everything about this movie looked bad so it was going to bomb regardless.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, seems like the type of Skrulls design Fox would do. They've been pretty ashamed of the comics and classic concepts since the first X-Men movie. "Yo, comics just can't be translated into movies, yo! Gotta change the hell outta them, because aliens and super heroes wearing colorful costumes and masks will NEVER be accepted by modern audiences. Gotta go more GROUNDED!" It's like the heads at Fox that were calling all the shots regarding everything X-Men-realted were stuck in the 00s-mentality, EVEN AFTER the idiocy of the 00s-mentality was shattered upon the rocks (and comic movies are BETTER because of it).

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense.

If there is something the MCU showed us, is that colorful costumes accurate to the source can be properly translated to movies.
Heck, look at MCU's Skrulls, they look like the comic counterparts.
Not everything has to be black leather and loose similarities like these plant-like Skrulls.
We had an accurate Carlie-27 on screen

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They would almost be a good design for Dire Wraiths the skrull's cousins

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the MCU Skrulls, honestly. Those designs aren't bad, but something about them reminds me of Swamp Thing

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they all wiry?

Why did fox keep on doing this?

Gotta feel sorry for the artist who was given the brief of Skrulls that don't look like Skrulls.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
They were making comic book movies, but comic books were BANNED FROM THE SET.

"Bryan Singer had this thing that people would think he really wanted to take comic book characters seriously, as real three-dimensional characters, that people who don't understand these comics might think they're two-dimensional, so no one was allowed [comics]..."
The flying heck is this bullcrap?!

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I dig the MCU skrull design more, but something about the execution of the makeup just makes it feel uber cheap. You could tell Ben Mendelsohn was really struggling to emote properly under that layer of rubber.

Oct 25, 2017
captain-marvel-talos-drinking-soda.jpg
This shit is legendary.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Warner has learned the lesson and it is embracing the goofy. Look at Aquaman's Black Manta.
It helps that the movie had a reasonable explanation for the big head and big eyes. Same thing for Mysterio. Two of the most outlandish looking comic villains have good reasons for their designs.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is legendary.

People want to talk about the mid-credits scene for Far From Home, but honestly

I was so excited to see that they weren't going to forget about Talos, because Ben Mendelsohn was so good, too good to throwaway on one movie. It looks like he and the Skrulls could play an interesting role in the MCU going forward.

The flying heck is this bullcrap?!

I was trying to wrap my brain around this, too, but I gave up, because Singer X-Men is dead and gone and we no longer have to live in fear. But I'd love for someone to try and explain how providing actors with decades of source material that gives layers upon layers of depth to these characters would make the actors think the characters are two-dimensional.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The skrulls in CM looked x1000 better. I really enjoyed how unapologetically comic booky their designs were.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like they lack a proper internal structure which I think is a cool idea for a shapeshifter. Overall it does look too typical "alien" though

May 24, 2019
The generic alien guys weren't very interesting, but I loved the train ending. I can't believe that was a late change cause it's a pretty well staged bunch of action.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
YES! I was so happy the worker bee Skrulls were in it.

You might have forgotten what happened with Age of Ultron/Days of Futures Past.

Marvel reveals they're using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Age of Ultron. As those are shared characters between the two companies, Fox quickly changes an elaborate scene where Juggernaut breaks Magneto out of prison to the Quicksilver scene in DoFP just to beat Marvel to using the character on-screen.
And fox quiksilver was better in every way than the MCU version and a highlight of DOFP.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad but definitely generic and an obvious attempt at not making them comic booky.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
WTF? Thank god for the MCU. Their skrulls aren't the best but better than this fucking travesty.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If not for the MCU skrulls I'd say they looked fine. But they don't really compare to Captain Marvel pulling off the comics look perfectly.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Something from the X-Men movies looking shitty compared to what the MCU did?

You don't say.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
How amusing...
tenor.gif

I do prefer the MCU version.
MCU Skrulls are meant to be sympathetic and relatable, which is important because of how they are implemented in the plot. These concept Skrulls are monstrous, inhuman, and devoid of emotion or recognizable facial features, which suggests they were only meant to be disposable cannon fodder, which is a huge waste.