• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I gave my grandma (75yo) a Chromebook last year, never had issues. I would recommend it to any parent/grandparent.

Oh absolutely, I used a Chromebook exclusively around when they first came out. One of the original Samsung Chromebooks I believe, was pretty broke at the time and just needed something for Google docs, internet, etc. It was perfect. For anyone only needing to use internet email or whatever I will always recommend them.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm complaining about Apple, the concept of mounting and ejecting disk images in macOS is completely alien to a lot people - even people my age who are otherwise computer literate, but who only know the install process for Windows executables.

If you've used a package manager in Linux / Unix in the past, the macOS approach is both second nature and preferable to the way Windows does it, but if you're used to just downloading a single file and double clicking it to install new software, then mounting must seem downright bizarre, even if it is virtualising a process that people are semi-familiar with for external storage.

I'll regularly pick up my wife's computer for something and find she has 5+ disk images still mounted for software she's already installed. I've never tried to correct her for doing it, because honestly I get it. She wasn't historically a Mac person, and it's really not an intuitive process.
Is it though? Most of the time when I'm installing something in linux it's through curl or apt-get in the command line.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Folders. Browsers. Address bars. Toolbars. Context menus. Desktops. Icons. File explorers.

These arcane artifacts are far too complex for any mortal to comprehend.

Left click -> Save -> OMG WHERE DID THE FILE GO HELP WHERE IS IT WHERE DID I PUT IT HOW DO I FIND IT

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
No joke, a few years ago my mom, who was about mid 60s at the time, was having issues with her computer. Over the phone, and while at work, I walked her through some stuff so I could try troubleshooting. After the headaches of getting some trial and error done, I got her to shut the computer down for a reboot. But I made the mistake of telling her to "go ahead and boot it" after a couple minutes while I took care of work stuff that needed attention.

She kicked the damned thing.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
No joke, a few years ago my mom, who was about mid 60s at the time, was having issues with her computer. Over the phone, and while at work, I walked her through some stuff so I could try troubleshooting. After the headaches of getting some trial and error done, I got her to shut the computer down for a reboot. But I made the mistake of telling her to "go ahead and boot it" after a couple minutes while I took care of work stuff that needed attention.

She kicked the damned thing.

This is the best thing I've heard so far. Like her style.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
My mother watches Netflix without making it fullscreen. She just watches the movie as the browser and address bar sit right above the screen. No matter how many times I've shown her that it's only one click to a better image, she never does it.

My wife does this. Or, she'll fullscreen it, but leave the mouse somewhere that keeps the interface on-screen. And then she gets mad at me when I walk over and fullscreen it, or move the mouse. It bugs the shit out of me.

On a slightly related topic, my co-workers will work all day with their Excel files in Page Break Preview mode, where it says "Page 1" in huge grey letters right in the middle of the screen. When I say "why don't you put this in Normal view so you don't have to see that shit?" they don't even know what I'm talking about until I point it out.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Working in IT support I find that a lot of people, but mostly older people, do not understand video cables at all. They don't know any of the names, struggle to work out what they are connected to and sometimes just mystified that there even should be a cable connected to get video on a monitor. I've had people disconnect a cable from their computer, describe the connector shape to me and it's the fucking power cable.

That last one...was a young person though lol.

Last edited:

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Working in IT support I find that a lot of people, but mostly older people, do not understand video cables at all. They don't know any of the names, struggle to work out what they are connected to and sometimes just mystified that there even should be a cable connected to get video on a monitor. I've had people disconnect a cable from their computer, describe the connector shape to me and it's the fucking power cable.

That last one...was a young person though lol.

This isn't even just older people sadly, you said. I have a hard time explaining these things to coworkers my age.

Oct 30, 2017
My mother relies on email and webpages for work and she can't do anything beyond browsing them. No copy/paste, No making a document, no attaching stuff to an email. It so infuriating that I feel like I'm doing her job for her.

Im surprised not one Startup has made an OS or app that has old people as the target marker or a Tech company has made like a remote assistant service specifically targeting the children of non techy old people. At this point, I would pay for a remote assistant that my parents call instead of me for any form of tech assistance

I basically manage my parents' tech presence. I have their passwords in a password manager. Have access to their emails and social media. and run backups on their phones. I have remote access to their laptops.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest problem with my dad is constantly confusing the computer, browser and Internet connection.
So it's often very hard to understand what the issue is. "my computer isn't working" might be a full-on blue screen, disconnected from WiFi, or maybe even just typing the wrong address in the browser (when that was a thing).

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
My Dad is a very clever guy and when he needs me to help him with computer stuff it's typically something that genuinely is extremely unintuitive, and even I'm annoyed by how badly it was designed.

One thing that I find interesting with him though is that he can't seem to see the full TV screen at once. It's not a vision problem, it's just the way his brain perceives the TV, I guess. For example, we'll be watching sport together and he can't tell what's an instant replay and what's live, even when there's (what I would consider) a clearly noticeable banner saying "INSTANT REPLAY" or whatever. He doesn't see it. He'll ask me "What's that guy's name?" during an interview where the fellow's name is literally right there on screen written underneath his head. "What did he say?" when the subtitle is still visible on screen. Makes me wonder if maybe what is completely automatic for me is actually an acquired skill from years of playing video games and darting my eyes around to monitor HUD elements or something.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Both my folks think I'm an "I.T. genius" for fixing their multitudes of computer problems, but >95% of the time it's literally just me googling said problem and following the directions on the first site or two from the search results.

And yes, I've attempted to explain to them that they can very easily do this themselves. The response I almost always get is "but what would I know what to type into the search?" And I always say: literally just type the error code/message/etc. into the bar, Google can figure it out from there. It never sticks, though; they insist I do it because they'd "just mess it up more".

Both my folks are very knowledgeable, but put a computer in front of them and somehow they become utterly helpless when anything out of the ordinary happens.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
When my mother in law sends text messages (yes real text messages, not WhatsApp or anything) it takes an hour and for some reason includes massive spaces at random.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
my mother refuses to learn how to use tabs. if one opens somehow then by god her whole website she was reading has been erased!

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
My parents are usually pretty apprehensive with technology and would run into a lot of issues and for a while I assumed it was stuff that a competent person like myself would have no problem with.

But man the usability of modern popular applications can range from a bit cryptic to downright terrible. A couple things off the top of my head:

- Adding contacts by email with zoom having issues sending requests to people you added.
- Mac version of microsoft office apps being ever so slightly different to windows versions in just enough ways that it makes using Microsoft's online documentation sometimes okay and sometimes a pain and they don't seem to have the equivalent tutorials and guides for older mac offices while they exist for windows.
- How windows has two settings apps and both kind of show the same options but a handful of important ones can only be found in one or the other. A lot of windows 10 just feels like XP forcibly grafted on to a newer OS.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've worked in IT for over a decade at this point, and my default answer when my mum phones is now "what have you broken?"

Definitely echo the thoughts in here about people immediately losing any common sense when a computer is put in front of them. My mum was basically the computer/IT lead when 3.1/95 came out, and trying to get across that a lot of the stuff now is just the same with shinier buttons is pointless.

I once had someone ask me if we, as a department, "looked after the clocks" because one was running slow. Not the clock on the desktop, the clock on the wall. That they brought in themselves.

Honestly, working in IT support should come with a health warning. All I ever wanted to do was help people out, but the amount of people who don't understand that and just think you're there to stop them doing what they want to do is crazy

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My dad on an Android phone. He always presses the back button like 10 times to go to home instead of pressing the home button. I've told him many times you press the middle button to go straight home, but then next time he shows me something and then wants to go into another app, there he is pressing the back button 5000 times...

A lot of other things, but that's the most baffling. Maybe that's why Apple chose to not have a back button? Who knows.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
My dad calls windows and pages "screens". It's so jarring.

"Look on my screen"
"Yeah? What am I looking at?"
"My screen, my screen!"
"What about it, is it dirty?"
"No my Facebook screen!"
"The fuck?"

He also had a mental breakdown filling out a form with his details on it. He asked me what he needs to do next after he scrolled down to the bottom to a large button that says "NEXT PAGE".

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Replaced the old 2.4ghz modem in our house that was knocking phones and stuff off the connection if more than six things were connected

Got a brand new 5ghz capable one and now my Dad is insisting it made loading up Firefox on his ten year old laptop slower. Not loading up webpages, loading up the app itself

Nothing to do with the 2gb of ram and the 5400rpm HDD that is starting to click though

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My dad on an Android phone. He always presses the back button like 10 times to go to home instead of pressing the home button. I've told him many times you press the middle button to go straight home, but then next time he shows me something and then wants to go into another app, there he is pressing the back button 5000 times...

A lot of other things, but that's the most baffling. Maybe that's why Apple chose to not have a back button? Who knows.

If those people learn something about computers/phones - and that's a big if - then they always do it the exact same way. Whether it's going back to the homescreen, or sending an email, or listening to music, they always follow the exact same steps. And if there's just one tiny difference, like an icon being in a different place or some app looking slightly different after an update, they're completely lost.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
He also had a mental breakdown filling out a form with his details on it. He asked me what he needs to do next after he scrolled down to the bottom to a large button that says "NEXT PAGE".
That reminds me, my mum hates forms that span several pages. She's genuinely enraged, like it's a huge inconvenience to load another page. The same "I can't believe how wasteful this is" energy she'd have if it was a physical form using more paper than necessary.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Reading this thread makes me happy that my parents are both pretty computer literate. I think the worst I've had to deal with was my mom had me visit the neighbors to help clean up her laptop, she basically just installed every toolbar, widget, and piece of sketchy software the ads told her to.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s I witnessed, as a child, an elderly member of the school board so intimidated by using a PC he was shaking. When he used the mouse, he held it in reverse; the cord was facing him, going down his wrist.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I work at UPS and the amount of older folks that come in trying to return stuff through their phone and email is insane, and 80% of them don't know what they are doing so it's a fight between making sure they don't click random shit, explaining the steps, and them not fighting me over them not wanting me to see not a single tiny bit of their email or Amazon account. Like damn I'm trying to help, if you didn't want me seeing your shit you should have figured it out before you got here. It's even more annoying when they want to argue with me because they don't like how it works. Like I don't make the rules or the apps like damn.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
j2LYdVo.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Somehow people repeatedly find my work's phone number but miss the fact we:

A. Have a website.
B. Our hours are both on the website and Google.

Like, there's no way people are using the yellow pages anymore, right? They have to be using Google in some form and yet under our phone number on Google is our hours and website.

And obviously 99% of questions could be answered by the website. That's why it's there.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This thread feels pretty ageist tbh. A lot of this is about familiarity. A greater proportion of the younger generation have had exposure to computing concepts in their formative years than people in their 60s. There still exist tons of older folks who have little issue in grasping these concepts.

Jul 1, 2020
Honestly, working in IT support should come with a health warning. All I ever wanted to do was help people out, but the amount of people who don't understand that and just think you're there to stop them doing what they want to do is crazy
Working in IT my philosophy is that if everyone knew how everything worked all the time, I'd be out of a job. It is frustrating especially when users don't seem to learn anything.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You're asking your mom to install fricking TeamViewer, and you dare to complain it took the woman some time to figure stuff out? I used that thing years ago, and I was baffled by that damn thing nearly every time I did.

Just install FaceTime or WhatsApp or something like on her phone

TeamViewer is incredibly useful once setup and the person of the other end understands what they have to do.

Back when my 70 year old dad still had an Android phone, we'd use it all the time whenever he needed support and it made it a breeze. To the point that he already knew he needed to launch the "blue arrows icon" whenever he needed me to connect remotely to his phone.

There's a learning curve, but with proper explanations and some patience even the tech illiterate can get it up and running. Much better than having to guide them through a video call. Specially if the device in question is the only thing they own capable of video calling.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
This thread reminds of a story about my grandfather in the early 90's.

He called me out of the blue and wanted me to explain to him what a fax machine does. He used to fix watches and clocks as a hobby and apparently his supplier switched to only taking faxes and my grandpa was confused as fuck. "If I call them I can just tell them what I want and be done with it. Now I have to write everything out for them in a way they can read and understand, then drive all the way out to the copy place in town, and *pay* to have my list sent to them. It's asinine."

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The local writing association: made up of mostly (wealthy AF) retirees who both ask me to do something for them "because I'm young" and fight me every step of the way. They complain during board meetings that they have no young members outside me and when I introduce them to something "young people" use, like Zoom for remote meetings, they complain.

The latest source of frustration is over Discord. They wanted a place for people to talk and share files, I suggested Discord. They tell me to make a server. Sent the invite. No one joins. I get email after email saying it's broken and the link doesn't work. I still have no clue what they're doing when they click the invite link because it works on my end, of course. Then, to make it worse, the one who does get in the server proceeds to complain "it looks like it's made by seventh graders. It's ugly. I hate it" and "you need to type up a guide with pictures showing exactly how do everything in Discord" in the same conversation. If it's for kids, shouldn't you be able to know how to use it? I told him I would do a live webinar over Zoom but I'm not typing up guides. Which apparently closed the casket on Discord. (That, and I flat out said if they're not using Discord I'm not doing tech support on the alternative). They have nothing outside email chains and half don't know to use "reply all" to this day, which makes conversations impossible to follow.

The same person said he had a list of websites for us to read and printed out full URLs. He was offended when I asked why he didn't email the list. Come to find out after, he's the "tech guru" of all of them and if he doesn't like something, the group won't adopt it.

I only joined because their most successful and connected trad pubbed author asked me personally but she moved last year. I didn't opt to renew my membership because of it, but she sent an email again asking me not to leave so I stayed another year. Not making that mistake again. That assocation can die.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Helping older people with computers is like staring into the absolute void. It fills me with a existential dread like nothing else.

The absolute lack of understanding of even basic stuff is mind boggling. It is like their brains lack large areas that are supposed to handle those things.

In fact, even people who's job it is to handle these things are sometimes so incompetent that it breaks my brain. The new website at work is like a Monty Python sketch. Everything is a mess, information is a mix between super imporant and completely irrelevant. Information (sometimes crucial things) disappears as they add stuff. Links form closed loops instead of going to the information you want. When we complain they simply re-post one of the links in the chain (but at least they post different ones each time). And I am pretty sure one of our students could write a better search engine than the one we use.

Will there one day be technology so advanced that I cannot wrap my brain around it?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is why I got my parents a mac. So that at least I can screen share without any extra software. Lmao.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, I spent my career in IT and "old people" I know are hip to tech or catch on easily. What always surprises me is younger people not knowing basic things despite spending their entire lifetime on or around computers. 🤷‍♂️

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Emails & passwords
Ad links on web pages
Downloading & installing legit applications
The cloud (onedrive)
Video calls

My family picks up on all that really quick with the exception on cloud being difficult to understand because they think people look at their stuff lol

Explaing this in a consumer space to old people though? Not so simple when they wanna understand it in their own way and not listen to you on how things work.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Should be fun to have the reverse thread, to see answers like "torrents" or "'proper' keyboard typing" :v
Honestly worse than that. I'm always kinda shocked when I speak to someone young but they don't understand opening a web browser(you have to tell them to open google) where the address bar is to type, where the downloads folder is, If there's a documents shortcut on the desktop thats missing it must be deleted entirely, deleting the RDS shortcut thought they had deleted the server for everyone and the classic turning off the monitor thinking they are turning off the computer.

I dunno my reckoning is that you have people who have grown up with phones and tablets and only really used computers in school. I get a fair amount of young people call in with no basic IT knowledge and it's always a bit jarring when it happens.

OP
OP
ty_hot

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If those people learn something about computers/phones - and that's a big if - then they always do it the exact same way. Whether it's going back to the homescreen, or sending an email, or listening to music, they always follow the exact same steps. And if there's just one tiny difference, like an icon being in a different place or some app looking slightly different after an update, they're completely lost.
Hahaha this is 100% my dad. He knows that if he downloads a file from Whatsapp Web, it will be in the Downloads folder. So what does he do when he gets a file via email? He forwards it to my email, asks me to send to him via WhatsApp so that he can download it on his PC. Could he just download the file straight from his email (and it would go to the same Downloads folder)? Sure but that's not how he learnt to do it the first time.

Jul 1, 2020
Any BI/reporting not excel
Also excel
This is just a people thing. Most people that I've worked with don't have the skill level for MS Office that can't be done in Google Docs or Excel Online. They just use sort/filter or maybe a few simple formulas like =SUM() or =AVG().

Being able to take a spreadsheet that has a list of names formated {Last Name}, {First Name} and turn it into {First Name} {Last Name} in a few minutes is basically black magic because it uses text to columns and =CONCATENATE(). This coincidentally can be done in Google Sheets or Excel online and does not require a desktop version of Excel.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
I think it's more of an unwillingness to engage rather than purely an age thing. My grandmother is over 80 and can use a computer just fine. My aunt, who has had to use nothing but computers for her job for like 30 years, however... I had to go to her place of work one time to press the power button to turn it on.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Tabs and multiple windows.

Also, my mother thinks I must be an expert in every single piece of software because I'm a software engineer.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Had a tough time explaining to my dad who is 70 that even though everything is connected to their wireless home network, there may not be an internet connection.

He was a career Bell South guy who dealt with fiber optic installation etc towards the end if his career, so I really didn't expect it to be so hard for him to comprehend. Still not sure he gets it.