• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
we'll see. Every divorce starts with a happy marriage and sweet honeymoon phase.

Yes, i know i am a party pooper.

*ducks for cover*

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reckon Compulsion Games could be a dark horse for Xbox going into next gen, with the additional funding and general support they now have it's going to allow the studio to do what it's good at - making interesting and quirky games.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed Contrast despite its technical issues, looking forward to see what they do in the future.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
A disgruntled anonymous employee would have said something by now if the opposite was true.
Why start with skepticism.....why not jump in with optimism?
Is the world that bleak for you that anything good must have a catch or something?

Is the world so lacking in nuance to you that you never question things? Of course not, that would be a gross assumption on my part.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
hahahaha.
read your post out loud.

Read the posts prior.

Then post again.

I generally read the posts before mine, but your condescension is unwelcome nonetheless.

You seemingly missed the point you replied to, so I'll just politely ask you to consider refraining from making rash generalisations about people you know nothing about as it's a pretty uncool approach, internet or otherwise.

Hope this helps and best of luck with the optimism :)

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
But social media click baiters told me that publishers are very bad! They know, they have a lot of experience working in the industry. :)

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I can confirm that. Not once throughout the development of Blind Forest or Will of the Wisps has Microsoft forced us to implement one of their ideas. They leave it to us to do what we're doing best - and that's great :)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I can confirm that. Not once throughout the development of Blind Forest or Will of the Wisps has Microsoft forced us to implement one of their ideas. They leave it to us to do what we're doing best - and that's great :)

Sweet, definitely good to hear :D

Off-topic but wishing you and the team at Moon all of the luck for the upcoming months :) Really excited to play WotW and I'm already quite sure it'll end up very high on my GOTY list.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully there's another collaboration between both of ya'll on another game. Would love to see your creativity in a different genre with MS's funds.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But social media click baiters told me that publishers are very bad! They know, they have a lot of experience working in the industry. :)

Oh all the platform hold are very bad, but not because of intrusiveness over creative visions. More your every day evil megacorporation capitalist stuff.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see what their next project is like now that they have Microsoft's backing. Haven't been impressed by either of their past games so far at all, but it seems like they're very creative. Contrast was a neat concept.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious where this studio is heading next. I did not like their previous games at all. On a technical level you could objectively call them bad. They have a good art team though.

And well duh. It shows how bad Microsoft has been in the past that this even needs to be said.

I agree. It makes me wonder if they are working on something really promising that hasn't been announced yet. They are the acquisition that made the least sense to me.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
MS-owned company has nice things to say about being an MS-owned company, more at 11.

What were they going to say, "Microsoft actually stifles creativity and makes us make certain types of games"?

Hey look a not a MS owned company.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Things are definitely looking rosy now, as they're expected to. They are getting great support and not being asked to compromise their vision. Quick reminder though: at this point in Microsoft's journey with Xbox, everything is built to serve Game Pass. Uniqueness and diversity is important right now as is volume and turnaround of content. Any big changes that happen at the top should expected to cascade down to these studios. So basically, with GP being positioned as Xbox's principal focus, it stands to chance that changes will be made in how games are designed to suit. Maybe... maybe not, but there's one thing that is guaranteed is that time will tell.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious where this studio is heading next. I did not like their previous games at all. On a technical level you could objectively call them bad. They have a good art team though.
I agree. It makes me wonder if they are working on something really promising that hasn't been announced yet. They are the acquisition that made the least sense to me.

They put out a documentary a few days ago about the development of We Happy Few. There certainly were technical issues, but it seems like the main issues with the game came from the fact that they were beholden to their Kickstarter backers. They sold the campaign as a procedural survival game, and when people wanted it to be more like a Bioshock or immersive sim after that E3 trailer, they got trapped between two fanbases who wanted very different games. They had to stick with the survival game stuff since, well, that was the game they sold on Kickstarter, and it led to this really weird fusion between the two. Reviews talked quite a bit about how the game they tried to pivot to being was held back by the game they originally were, a game they couldn't fully break away from.

They seem to have a much better understanding of their strengths now. Impressions i've seen of the DLC (especially the most recent one) is way more positive, and now they don't have to worry about the budget and timeline that forced them into a survival roguelike in the first place. They did that because they felt they had to make that game in order to survive as an indie and get their game funded on Kickstarter. Having access to teams like The Coalition should help significantly on the technical side. Ideally their next game will play into their strengths in worldbuilding, story and presentation, and the resources and other 1st party teams at Microsoft can help them shore up the areas they're weak in like combat.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They put out a documentary a few days ago about the development of We Happy Few. There certainly were technical issues, but it seems like the main issues with the game came from the fact that they were beholden to their Kickstarter backers. They sold the campaign as a procedural survival game, and when people wanted it to be more like a Bioshock or immersive sim after that E3 trailer, they got trapped between two fanbases who wanted very different games. They had to stick with the survival game stuff since, well, that was the game they sold on Kickstarter, and it led to this really weird fusion between the two. Reviews talked quite a bit about how the game they wanted to be was held back by the game they originally were, a game they couldn't fully break away from.

They seem to have a much better understanding of their strengths now, impressions i've seen of the DLC (especially the most recent one) is way more positive, and now they don't have to worry about the budget and timeline that forced them into a survival roguelike in the first place. They did that because they felt they had to make that game in order to survive as an indie and get their game funded on Kickstarter. Having access to teams like The Coalition should help significantly on the technical side. Ideally their next game will play into their strengths in worldbuilding, story and presentation, and the resources and other 1st party teams at Microsoft can help them shore up the areas they're weak in like combat.
This. And big reason MS got them. Story and world building they are really good at. The rest is kinda a struggle always for smaller teams.
Wich "easy" can be improved with time, budget and help. Wich is alot harder for story and world building. Wich is kinda the studio has it or not.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh all the platform hold are very bad, but not because of intrusiveness over creative visions. More your every day evil megacorporation capitalist stuff.
VHC7z14.jpg

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. And big reason MS got them. Story and world building they are really good at. The rest is kinda a struggle always for smaller teams.
Wich "easy" can be improved with time, budget and help. Wich is alot harder for story and world building. Wich is kinda the studio has it or not.

Exactly. There's a reason that the trailer at E3 got so much attention despite not being anywhere near the biggest game on that stage. It just ended up that they didn't have the time, resources or freedom to fully follow through on that game. If they can keep that level of creativity and worldbuilding but actually deliver on it with the resources that being a 1st party affords them they have the potential to make some really awesome stuff.

They absolutely deserve skepticism, they're the least proven of any of the studios MS picked up and they have to show they can deliver -- it takes more than resources to do that -- but there's a lot of potential there to where it makes sense why MS picked them up.

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
we'll see. Every divorce starts with a happy marriage and sweet honeymoon phase.

Yes, i know i am a party pooper.

*ducks for cover*
I agree with this sentiment. It'll be a few years before you face the actual pressures of being acquired. This sounds like someone a little who's being quite hopeful about the situation

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Things are definitely looking rosy now, as they're expected to. They are getting great support and not being asked to compromise their vision. Quick reminder though: at this point in Microsoft's journey with Xbox, everything is built to serve Game Pass. Uniqueness and diversity is important right now as is volume and turnaround of content. Any big changes that happen at the top should expected to cascade down to these studios. So basically, with GP being positioned as Xbox's principal focus, it stands to chance that changes will be made in how games are designed to suit. Maybe... maybe not, but there's one thing that is guaranteed is that time will tell.

Just wait!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I generally read the posts before mine, but your condescension is unwelcome nonetheless.

You seemingly missed the point you replied to, so I'll just politely ask you to consider refraining from making rash generalisations about people you know nothing about as it's a pretty uncool approach, internet or otherwise.

Hope this helps and best of luck with the optimism :)

literally two posts under mine we have it from the horses mouth.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's a smart move imo. Microsoft shouldn't pull an EA and absorb studios and then try to make them fit another scope. As seen with Outer Worlds and a few others they realize they need IPs to sell their boxes/passes, and right now with Nintendo and Sony with their first party IPs, Indies are the logical next step. Bolstering middle/lower bracket studios to invest in their future was probably a hard sell to people obsessed with money, but I give MS a ton of respect for going "We need games, and these people are making unique and interesting games. Let's try to help them."

This means that indies are being given opportunities like early Nintendo studios to be weird, branch out, and be creative while building IPs for the future. It's a win/win as of right now.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
It'll be interesting to see what their next project is like now that they have Microsoft's backing. Haven't been impressed by either of their past games so far at all, but it seems like they're very creative. Contrast was a neat concept.

They dont necessarily have MS backing. It depends if they chose to have a deal with them, while im sure XGS has tried, Moon studios are ultimately independent.

Compulsion, Not Moon.

Last edited:

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I recently finished We Happy Few and I am glad the team recognises that the game fell short in not having a clear, defined goal of what the game was supposed to be.

Hopefully, they have overcome their growing pains as a studio and will be able to hone their talent for world building into an appropriate size game next time.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's Microsoft's fault why Obsidian is making some cartoon battle royale and why Ninja Theory is making Bleeding Edge

- era.

If you browsed enough threads during the acquisitions and game reveals you know this was a thing

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's most likely true but what do you expect them to say when they're currently employed by MS