• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not something i would expect from Japan - then again with so few consoles, people are gonna act out of character.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I just thought it looked pretty popular based on the supposed demand at one store. Unpopular products don't create demand like that. If it's selling everything they ship over there, That's a good thing

Microsoft also sells out every Xbox they ship to Japan nowadays. That doesn't mean the thing is performing well. And it's the same with the PS5.

For what it's worth, this "one store" is actually Japan's biggest single electronics retailer in their biggest location in Tokyo. It's actually their flagship store.

I'm surprised they did this In store, during a pandemic.

To be fair, Japan has largely managed COVID much better than almost all Western countries. Shopping hasn't proven to be a large source of COVID clusters (whereas activities like bars and restaurants have proven to be more problematic). Nintendo sells tons of Switch and software in retail stores every day, far beyond what Sony has been able to provide. And there have been no reported issues. The PS5 is in a zone where the supply-demand ratio is severely unbalanced and a vast minority of people misbehaving can create the chaos seen at Yodobashi.

May 24, 2019
Most of these people are not buying software.
That explains the miserable software install rate.

They aren't gonna be rocking up to the counter with Miles Morales if they don't know whether they're getting a machine or not.
Eyes on the prize.

edit: This is during a supposed "State of Emergency" too. I hope the government gets flack for restrictions being so soft that this was allowed to happen.

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Chaos in Japan:

Chaos in Germany:

Fun fact: In both videos you hear "What the fuck?"

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
MiHoYo will buy PS5 from them

te9TC0K.jpg
Hey, that dude is stepping on the PS5 boxes.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Actually the lining up culture in Japan is getting worse and I experienced people pushing themselves before people or blatantly just not lining up at all.
I didn't see that many scalpy looking people when I was lining up, most were younger Otaku people.
I think most scalpers win their game by bot software and the use of lots of e-mail accounts for getting more chances in the lotteries. But many scalpers probably spend their days at cafés nearby the stores keeping an eye on Twitter, and some of them are working as food delivery guys which helps them in case they happen to see a Tweet between an order. But there are sneakers and Bearbricks and other stuff in Tokyo too so they are probably already pretty busy so there's a chance for decent people who are aiming for PS5.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Man, this is going to be the norm until when?
PS5 shortages making usually well behaved japanese go mad.
IDK, but with COVID still going on, online scalping being so bad, and shipment numbers for both consoles (and other electronics like new GPUs) being low it could be a while. The GPU situation is no better now than it was when they launched 4 months ago. Evga, for instance, who has their step-up queue and their buying queue, still hasn't moved past people who signed up on the first day. I wouldn't be shocked to see shortages and scalping last into Summer, and maybe even through the end of the year.
Never listen to the media create users here.
Exactly, why would you bother listening to the people that follow the market there week after week and compare and analyze the numbers? It's not like they'd have a better perspective than your average user. /s

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think people would be a bit more sensible given the pandemic.

I kind of meant the console frenzy since they aren't really as big on them much anymore.

It's relative to how low the shipments for PS5 have been. To put it in to perspective over the 10(?) weeks the PS5 has been on the market for there has been less stock available than there was for the first day of PS4 sales, or Wii U for that matter.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know how many PS5 is being produced monthly? Can't believe 3 months later, that thing is still impossible to find.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, why would you bother listening to the people that follow the market there week after week and compare and analyze the numbers? It's not like they'd have a better perspective than your average user. /s
Some people take this too personal, outlook for the PS5 in Japan being rather grim as of now has pushed some into a alternative reality where everyone participating in MC threads has to be some nutjob.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting for my PS5. Preordered 8th October. Fully paid four out of twelve monthly chunks already.

But still, would never go in a stampedo like that, in the middle of a pandemic, wtf.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
So glad I was able to get one on Amazon at launch and avoid this mess or the lotteries...

Sony really should take a page out of Apples playbook and allow all orders on their site with a shipping date that only moves back. That would cut a lot of wind out of the scalpers business.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
That's frankly disgusting, people really just don't give a fuck about this pandemic.

Japan is doing a horrible job on it, at least the government is.
For example you would think if a school got multiple covid19 cases the school would or should close down. Nope. Ministry of Education said not to close schools due to covid.
We have a state of emergency but it almost means nothing. Just pubs amd restaurants may close at 8pm. Everywhere else is open and busy.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Some people take this too personal, outlook for the PS5 in Japan being rather grim as of now has pushed some into a alternative reality where everyone participating in MC threads has to be some nutjob.
Yeah software sales are anemic and despite what everyone said about how the earlier launch was the reason for less stock, it's looking like the LTD for PS5 in week 15 will be less than or around the LTD of week 2 for PS4. The only "big" release for them in the near future there is Resident Evil 8, and even RE hasn't been particularly huge in Japan lately. It's not a good situation.

Even so, most people in the Media Create threads are being pretty reasonable with their LTD predictions and expecting a 10-20% overall drop from PS4 hardware total. This narrative that the Media Create people are crazy or in their own bubble is just silly. If anything it's these other users that think they somehow know better about the Japanese market that live in a bubble.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
For example you would think if a school got multiple covid19 cases the school would or should close down. Nope. Ministry of Education said not to close schools due to covid.
We have a state of emergency but it almost means nothing. Just pubs amd restaurants may close at 8pm. Everywhere else is open and busy.
Are you Japanese or do you just live there?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I've been there, that shopping mall is huge. Must be a fuckton of people

Dan 101344567

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
Most media create users have been saying that Sony is under shipping to Japan and sidelining, not that there is zero demand, but that Sony is not even meeting demand, albeit however small it is.
Saying they only under shipping only in japan is being disingenuous they can't ship enough anywhere and the media create user are only moaning about japan for some reason

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "Buh buh Media Create..." posts would make sense if PlayStations issues were restricted to a lack of PS5 stock but they're not. PS4 has had a rough descent from its peak and PlayStation has almost completely disappeared from software charts.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That Yodobashi in Akihabara is MASSIVE so this is crazy.

Oct 27, 2017

This is surprising and extremely interesting. Living in the UK, Japan is quite often cited as one of the better examples of how to tackle the pandemic - given it's also an island, but with double the population and a higher percentage of which are elderly.

I suppose Japan handling the virus badly / still doing it better than the UK aren't mutually exclusive.. but still. As I say, interesting to read that perspective.

Dinzy

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

I hate assumptions like this. Oh they have some restriction that makes it hard to resell elsewhere, so this must be entirely due to resellers. It is idiotic, not as idiotic as the behavior on display, but idiotic none the less.

If the item is in enough demand to have people scalping them, how the fuck are most of these people scalpers? Did the scalpers hide this from those they wish to sell to? The vilification of scalpers is pretty lame. They are people who have no real better way to make a couple hundred bucks who are considered evil by entitled whiners who want something that has Supply << Demand and see a tiny fraction of them resold on ebay or fb or stockx. Seriously if someone endured this level of shit to get a PS5, who cares what they do with it? Sony has sold maybe 5 million by now give or take a million. How many people who don't have a PS5 want a PS5 and want it now? Is that number even close to the number who will deal with the hassle of trying to get one just to resell for a small profit? Of course it isn't.

I thought the PS5 wasn't even popular in Japan due to numbers. It seems like that could be another false meme and the lower sales are due to supply constraints there as well. Having a mob fight for 300 systems seems to indicate that. But sure it is just evil awful scalpers that cut in front of all the real people and caused this. No other factors involved because finger pointing and labeling someone as the enemy provides a nice, easy explanation.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan it's the software sales rather than the hardware sales that are the real concerning indicator right now. While the PS5 is set to be the lowest selling Sony console there (and may even dip below the Vita when all is said and done), there's still plenty of untapped demand right now given how little stock is in the market.

But the games that have released have had really bad attach rates thus far. REVIII sales are going to be interesting.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
This is surprising and extremely interesting. Living in the UK, Japan is quite often cited as one of the better examples of how to tackle the pandemic - given it's also an island, but with double the population and a higher percentage of which are elderly.

I suppose Japan handling the virus badly / still doing it better than the UK aren't mutually exclusive.. but still. As I say, interesting to read that perspective.

On the government level its being handled poorly. Individually though, thanks to Japan having a culture of wearing masks when sick/potential to get sick, we don't have the peeps running around screaming "but my 27th amendment rights!"... well aside from that one guy trolling the country not wearing a mask and getting arrested lol.

anyway, seems like the police were called to handle further ps5 sales

And for those who are saying "but Japan doesn't do this!"

It's a place with people. People who want expensive electronics. Especially if you look past gaming, stuff like this happens but its obviously harder to see if you don't have it as a native source.