• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
I feel so lucky to have won one of those preorder lotteries here. At this rate Japan won't get enough stock until the summer

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
But I thought the japanese don't care about Playstation anymore!

Seriously though, unless stocks stabilize, I don't think we've seen the last of this. Even if the pandemic itself is getting worse.

Thirsty gamers are thirsty

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I thought people in Japan are more civilized when it comes to this....?
I'd imagine them neatly form single file lines and all that, definitely not this....
This is like boxing day in the U.S.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Seeing stuff like this always bums me out. It's not new, but the current situation obviously makes it all the more disturbing.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
But ERA has been telling me no one in Japan wants a PS5!

Anyway, a lot of electronics shops in Japan got a shipment of PS5's for their End of the Year/New Years sales too. Instead of making them online only they were in store only to be bought without reservation to detract scalpers making it a by chance/word of mouth sale. This was a big twitter trend on Jan. 1st too. Surprised they are still doing it this way when the state of emergency is being considered to be extended.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This isn't Sony's fault, but it sure is very much their problem. If this becomes the source of a COVID cluster, it will certainly catch the Japanese and Tokyo government's attentions.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
MiHoYo will buy PS5 from them

te9TC0K.jpg

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
That's a superspreader if I've ever seen one. Not a good look, especially with Tokyo currently under an emergency.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This isn't Sony's fault, but it sure is very much their problem. If this becomes the source of a COVID cluster, it will certainly catch the Japanese and Tokyo government's attentions.
Sony have been telling retailers to not sell in stores for months and that there will be negative consequences for this, its the retailer's fault for not listening.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
First thought is wtf Covid.

Second thought is Wtf I thought era said PS5 was dead in Japan

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

This was for an allotment of 300 units. That's fewer than the number of 3DS and Xbox Series consoles sold in Japan last week. An unpopular system can still generate localized buzz such as this situation if adequate supply isn't available. This isn't indicative of the PS5 being more successful in Japan than previously understood.

Never listen to the media create users here.

Disingenuous post for obvious reasons.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
This was for an allotment of 300 units. That's fewer than the number of 3DS and Xbox Series consoles sold in Japan last week. An unpopular system can still generate localized buzz such as this situation if adequate supply isn't available. This isn't indicative of the PS5 being more successful in Japan than previously understood.

Disingenuous post for obvious reasons.
I just thought it looked pretty popular based on the supposed demand at one store. Unpopular products don't create demand like that. If it's selling everything they ship over there, That's a good thing

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If you think the stock situation in Japan is bad for getting 7-20k units a week, you should see how its going in Europe (outside of UK) and the Middle East, Spain got 50 like units last week. Its not that Sony has "abandoned Europe", nobody would believe you if you had argued that. Its not even that hard to understand why so little stock has been sent to everywhere post launch beside US and UK.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
That's not how this works lol
People are really passionate about the PS5 not being a success in Japan haha. I didn't expect all these replies. Look I don't have the data like you clearly have, I just know it's selling out all over the world including in Japan. Will it outsell the PS4? Probably not. Does it matter? No?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really tell us anything about PS5 demand in Japan, so I don't really get the snide comments. It's not like people were saying the PS5 would sell zero units in Japan.

Hope they're not scalpers, but they probably are huh
Given the lack of restrictions mentioned in the article scalpers would for sure be there lol.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Have to say Im impressed that the store didnt get looted considering the sheer number of people against the number of staff. Things could have gone a lot worse

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the videos I see some people not covering their noses with their masks. This could very well become a super spreader with how packed that store is with people and that's not good.

Never listen to the media create users here.
Nobody said it was dead, just that Sony sidelined Japan and didn't provide proportional stock to the market. The ones who kept saying Japan was a declining and dead market where Japan is just mobile gachas were non-sales era users.

Of course there's demand for the PS5, none of the demand has been met because they never provided decent stock to meet it. And with all that's been going on in the world, I don't expect it to get any better in Japan or in a lot of places.

Last edited:

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
Most of these people are not buying software.
That explains the miserable software install rate.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Oh dear.

I love Yodobashi. Such a great place to go shopping. It's massive, you can spend a whole day in there.

/So funny they call this chaos, most people just patiently standing there and behaving well XD
It's just that there are many of them.

Last edited:

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
In the videos I see some people not covering their noses with their masks. This could very well become a super spreader with how packed that store is with people and that's not good.

Nobody said it was dead, just that Sony sidelined Japan and didn't provide proportional stock to the market. The ones who kept saying Japan was a declining and dead market where Japan is just mobile gachas were non-sales era users.

Of course there's demand for the PS5, none of the demand has been met because they never provided decent stock to meet it. And with all that's been going on in the world, I don't expect it to get any better in Japan or in a lot of places.
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense and also makes me wonder if a delayed Launch like the PS4 would've been the better move

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
A console can't be proven in notable demand when none of the games can even get into the top 30 while having a non moving stock of games at retail and launch aligned the console sales are behind the Dreamcast and the Wii U.

Sony just didn't send shit in terms of shipments

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm surprised they did this In store, during a pandemic.
As far as I know there is no hard lockdown in Japan, the government doesn't (or can't?) enforce it even in state of emergency, it's all voluntary.

A console can't be proven in notable demand when none of the games can even get into the top 30 while having a non moving stock of games at retail and launch aligned the console sales are behind the Dreamcast and the Wii U.

Sony just didn't send shit in terms of shipments
You can't say there is no demand or it's unpopular too though. The low shipment is why it's behind the DC and Wii U (at least right now)

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
seems like some people are really losing it from being locked in their house and not being able to buy these things.

they gotta work more on people's mental health during these times.