• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isn't next-gen the biggest generational leap in forever?

• Yes

Votes: 415 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 581 58.3%

• Total voters

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Forever would include SNES -> PS1 and PS1 -> PS2 so... no. But I do think it will be on par with the previous transition once we get more next gen exclusives.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
If you are really coming from a base console, 4K is a huge upgrade. That and faster loading and more games with higher frame rates. You can't duplicate what were real generations in the past. Now it's just better than what it was. This is bigger than 360/PS3 to current generation but no other in the past.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Who cares what the spec sheet says. This is easily the smallest generational leap of all time in terms of actual graphics/performance, and it's not even close. It's just diminishing returns.
I just don't see it at all. Yes if we're looking at launch games, but that's always the case. Late PS4 to late PS3 seems much closer than what we've already seen PS5 can do.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
It would take something mindblowingly amazing to even come close to the amazement I felt the first time I turned on my N64 and started playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. That was pure magic. Or even the way I felt playing through the opening sequence of Final Fantasy 7. That transition just blew my mind.

And just "faster load times" isn't going to cut it. I mean, it'll be nice, but I'm old enough to remember the insane loading speed of old cartridge games, and how they could be used to great effect. SSD loading speeds is more like games reclaiming something they lost, rather than acquiring something new. But I will appreciate a chance to get good directing and snappy scene cuts in RPGs back.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I mean, I never got the step up consoles. I have a base PS4 and an Xbox One S... And nothing really seems that much of a leap? Like sure things are prettier and faster and cleaner but it certainly doesn't feel huge. I guess I'll see when (if?) I get my hands on the consoles themselves? Generations are bullshit anyway.

Nov 2, 2017
I just don't see it at all. Yes if we're looking at launch games, but that's always the case. Late PS4 to late PS3 seems much closer than what we've already seen PS5 can do.
Let's not overexagerate. PS3 GTA5 to RDR2 is an enormous jump. In fact I think RDR2 looks better than anything I've seen so far from next gen that's releasing this year.

Shadowfall easily beat anything on PS3. The only thing you could argue about was Crysis 3 on PC.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't know about diminishing returns but we're at such a high bar already, i'm still kind of blown away by Ratchet and Clank is doing but at the same time the PS4 game was pretty nice to look at.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
There's no evidence yet that the games will be anything different than what exists currently, but with the customary increase in geometry and texture detail, and faster loading.

Snes to PS1 was literally 2D to 3D.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Let's not overexagerate. PS3 GTA5 to RDR2 is an enormous jump. In fact I think RDR2 looks better than anything I've seen so far from next gen that's releasing this year.

Shadowfall easily beat anything on PS3. The only thing you could argue about was Crysis 3 on PC.
I'm not saying there isn't a noticeable difference. But comparing the likes of RDR2 to Project Athia and the Unreal Engine tech demo shows a much bigger gap between that and GTAV. And really, apart from character models, GTAV looks pretty good on PS3.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
The last couple of generations we kept seeing leaps in graphical fidelity; draw distance, higher res textures etc. This has been the norm for years and we expect the same thing with the upcoming consoles. I really believe we need to shy away from that perspective. The biggest leap will be the fluidity of everything. The booting up of the system, the starting games without a 30-40 second load time, the responsiveness of the controls because of 30-60 fps, a street lantern not popping up out of nowhere because the asset streaming is low. It will be these things that will compliment our love for gaming as a whole. Something we have been craving for since the PS3/360 era.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Lol no. SNES -> N64? N64 -> GCN? PS2 -> PS3? All way more obvious and impressive. I'd argue 360->One also was a bigger leap, but I can accept diverging opinions on that one, but the other three? Way larger a jump than this one. Of course the numbers difference is higher, but that is because you are comparing absolute numbers.
I'm not saying there isn't a noticeable difference. But comparing the likes of RDR2 to Project Athia and the Unreal Engine tech demo shows a much bigger gap between that and GTAV. And really, apart from character models, GTAV looks pretty good on PS3.
Because it is typically a good idea to compare a released game with a tech demo ffs.

Ryoichi

Sep 24, 2020
Italy
Snes and Mega Drive to PS1, N64 and Saturn was the bigger one for me. 2D to 3D was a huge step and changed many game genres.

So No for me.

Never cared about specs.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The alternative is to complain about generational gaps when only looking at launch year games. And Project Athia isn't a tech demo.
I usually compare launch games to launch games, but even if you compare late generation to early generation, there was a massive jump from N64/PS1 to PS2/GCN/Xbox and the jump from PS2/GCN/Xbox to PS360 was still much more pronounced than the one from XB1/PS4 to XSX/PS5 now (which is very hard to see actually).

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like the most cross-gen non-leap ever. PS4 level of tech is in a really sweet spot, next-gen only makes PS4 look even more ahead of its time than it was back then.

Aug 30, 2020
It's factually not. A lot of generational leaps had 8 times as much RAM. It's the smallest ever in terms of RAM capacity.

It's probably also the smallest ever in terms of GPU capacity (about 6 times, plus obvious optimizations and features; normally closer to 8 times plus obvious optimizations and features), but that has yet to be seen (basing it on their advertised numbers).

The only things that are bigger than average are CPU and SSD, and consoles have had powerful CPUs in the past...

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Who cares what the spec sheet says. This is easily the smallest generational leap of all time in terms of actual graphics/performance, and it's not even close. It's just diminishing returns.
Then who cares, why have a thread like this, why is it a discussion. Its like stating, "Horse to Car is the biggest generational leap", it's just weird to constantly bring this type of thing up... like, "the new tesla is cool, but its not as crazy as horses to cars, so who cares".

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Then who cares, why have a thread like this, why is it a discussion. Its like stating, "Horse to Car is the biggest generational leap", it's just weird to constantly bring this type of thing up... like, "the new tesla is cool, but its not as crazy as horses to cars, so who cares".
Well I wasn't the thread creator, so maybe ask them lol. I guess people just find the topic interesting and want to discuss it. y'know, normal video game forum stuff.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the smallest generational leap to me by far.
Cause judging raytracing before devs can even tackle is a smart thing. This would be akin to making fun of polygons or shaders before we used them well.

If you don't know educate yourself cause this well be one I keep for in 3 to 5 years just to laugh at.

The only things that are bigger than average are CPU and SSD, and consoles have had powerful CPUs in the past...

Outside of cell/xenon 3d based console cpus have been a joke if we are comparing them to what some could get around time of their launch. You can check my post history to see me go more in depth why.

Last edited:

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
We literally just had PS3 -> PS4 which is markedly smaller of a leap than PS4 -> PS5. I would agree with people saying it's not the largest, but calling it the "smallest" is just flat-out wrong.

Specs wise, probably. I never compared spec sheets.

Cause judging raytracing before devs can even tackle is a smart thing. This would be akin to making fun of polygons or shaders before we used them well.

If you don't know educate yourself cause this well be one I keep for in 3 to 5 years just to laugh at.

Outside of cell/xenon 3d based console cpus have been a joke if we are comparing them to what some could get around time of their launch. You can check my post history to see me go more in depth why.

Keyword is "seems". I'm merely speculating on how big improvements could possibly be, based on things like diminishing returns every generation and what we have seen so far. Like literally everyone in this thread is speculating in some way or form. But sure, go ahead and make sure to laugh at a post in a few years time on something that isn't even measurable and is totally based on opinion.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
So what are you basing this on lol
It seems there is a difference between people using pure specs as a comparison and those who base it purely on what they have seen so far. I was basing it on the latter. Specs wise it is definitely a big leap in a lot of ways though!

Personally I just think diminishing returns might make it feel like the smallest leap to me. Just like I don't see myself being all that impressed by 8k or 16k tv's compared to the leap from color>sd>hd>4k, while specs wise 8k and 16k are bigger jumps than any of the previous generations. But who knows. I have two consoles pre ordered, so I would be happy to be wrong.