• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isn't next-gen the biggest generational leap in forever?

• Yes

Votes: 415 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 581 58.3%

• Total voters

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, nothing will ever top earlier advances in console graphics, from a visual standpoint.

As has been mentioned, other technologies apart from just visuals seem like where we'll get the most upgrades this time around.

That also said, coming from a guy who grew up playing cartridge only consoles for a significant period of time, it's about time we got back to instant loading. To me, this is less of a new thing, and more of a return to how things should've been.

That's entirely different display technologies, though. Not the console itself.

VR can be (and will be) used for much more than games - because it's an advance in displays, not solely an advance in video game hardware - as seems to be implied here.

Also, screw having to move around when I'm playing games.
It's going to be great for some games and occasions, absolutely. Driving games and first-person games especially.

But, I already feel lazy enough to not move for Wii pointer control games.

The last thing I personally want to do over and over when I get home from a 1 hour commute home in traffic is strap on goggles, completely lose visual contact with my family and move my head around like I'm tripping out.
That's a big misconception people have. VR can be the most relaxing way to game if you play the right games, given the greater mental stimulation. For example a version of Stardew Valley in VR would likely be the more relaxing version because you'd feel all cozy in your town with your animals and such. Granted, the headset size and lack of perfected display technology makes this not an ideal thing today, but it will be by the time it matures.

It should be noted also that consoles may eventually be the peripheral to VR/AR headsets. Sony has mentioned this idea before, and Nintendo's handheld hybrid Switch strategy kind of naturally evolves into a pair of glasses eventually anyway. Though it's also possible no physical console or processing box will be present and it will just be streamed.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Not in forever, but probably since the upgrade from the SNES to the N64 just because there are things in the next generation consoles can do that couldn't be done easily or at all before with the SSD and insanely powerful CPU (remember, PS3 CELL was theoretically stronger than PS4's CPU)

I feel like Ratchet and Clank is the best demonstration of next gen power, and that's easily only the beginning. I am really fucking curious to see the kind of shit that Remedy, Bethesda Game Studios, Sony Santa Monica and various other developers will be able to do on the consoles.

I mean sure, there's diminishing returns on the graphics and all that, but shit, look at the Hellblade 2 trailer, the UE5 demo and the Demon's Souls gameplay (which looks like a current gen game but with effects kicked up to like 12, making it look awesome) and tell me that there isn't a noticeable improvement in the games in motion. Games will definitely feel better

That's a big misconception people have. VR can be the most relaxing way to game if you play the right games, given the greater mental stimulation. For example a version of Stardew Valley in VR would likely be the more relaxing version because you'd feel all cozy in your town with your animals and such. Granted, the headset size and lack of perfected display technology makes this not an ideal thing today, but it will be by the time it matures.

It should be noted also that consoles may eventually be the peripheral to VR/AR headsets. Sony has mentioned this idea before, and Nintendo's handheld hybrid Switch strategy kind of naturally evolves into a pair of glasses eventually anyway. Though it's also possible no physical console or processing box will be present and it will just be streamed.

This is going to get off-topic, so I don't really want to discuss everything about VR here but:

That doesn't address me coming home a breaking visual contact with my family while being in front of them with goggles strapped to my face after a horrendous commute.

If this is how people blow off then great - that's not ever going to be a good way for me to enjoy coming home, spending time with my family though.

Also, the family would have to enjoy video games, which mine...doesn't really.

Again, I think it will have many applications in the future. I don't see people picking it up en masse over the next 10 years solely for gaming, though, unless someone can really come through and market it to a wide audience, like motion controls did for the Wii. Maybe in 20 years? But, in 20 years, I somewhat expect to have technologies more revolutionary than just VR, so who knows.

Back On Topic:
The display medium shouldn't really count as part of the console when talking about generational leaps in this context.
VR is bigger than that and applicable to many more contexts other than gaming.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
You didnt factor in Diminishing returns
have-you-hit-the-point-of-diminishing-returns-as-a-developer-dab85385ef9a5da4b6717c87f92d138e78d712fd28c339f0dfdf79a92835e2e3.jpg

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is going to get off-topic, so I don't really want to discuss everything about VR here but:

That doesn't address me coming home a breaking visual contact with my family while being in front of them with goggles strapped to my face after a horrendous commute.

If this is how people blow off then great - that's not ever going to be a good way for me to enjoy coming home, spending time with my family though.

Also, the family would have to enjoy video games, which mine...doesn't really.

Again, I think it will have many applications in the future. I don't see people picking it up en masse over the next 10 years solely for gaming, though, unless someone can really come through and market it to a wide audience, like motion controls did for the Wii. Maybe in 20 years? But, in 20 years, I somewhat expect to have technologies more revolutionary than just VR, so who knows.

Back On Topic:
The display medium shouldn't really count as part of the console when talking about generational leaps in this context.
VR is bigger than that and applicable to many more contexts other than gaming.
Why break visual contact? Just have the headset be in a VR and AR mode simultaneously. The AR would look only at other people nearby so you'd still be fully immersed in the virtual environment and the built-in headphones would typically sit off-ear. And as households buy multiple Switches to play together, people will do the same for VR.

Well you have a point about the display medium, but there's also the category of actual VR consoles like Oculus Quest. If we can imagine that perhaps the big three consoles evolve that way in the future, then that evolution would be an enormous change from the box sitting under your TV to the console you actually wear.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's a huge shift but the current gen, especially the PS4, has too big of an install base to quickly move over. I got questioned repeatedly for suggesting even games like Spiderman would be cross-gen.

I do think graphics have come to a point where most would agree they look great now so it's good to see things like frame rate and raytracing having an impact this coming gen.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
The SSD speeds will spoil us going forward. I think it's one of those things that we won't fully appreciate until we're so used to it; previous consoles will feel achingly slow.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles finally having SSD is pretty nice, though really impressive would be if every game not just first party on these systems, played at 60fps minimum or at least have a 60fps mode.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
SNES --> N64?

Also, isn't the PS5 the equivalent of a 2070 Super? Minor difference I suppose.
Yea, that was a paradigm shift going to games in 3d

I agree, but I feel a lot of people overstate it. SNES and other platforms at the time already messed with 3D Rendering. I still agree it was huge, especially being a small child at the time. But people use this to invalidate every technological game advancement we ever have it seems... and act as if N64 was the first realm into 3D Gaming. Plus outside of some exceptions a lot of those products were really bad, we just remember all the gems that did it perfectly.

In general I just find it weird when people rank "Generational Leaps". They were all important and critical for their respective times.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Nothing beats gen 6 to gen 7

Diminishing returns for me since that gen xD spec wise on paper probably right.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yes totally. Finally back to few or no loading screens, raytracing and beastly CPU.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Technically, maybe. Like how technically 4K is four times 1080p but you sure as shit ain't perceiving four times the upgrade in graphical quality.
Frankly, I've been rather nonplussed by the next-gen content that has been shown, with the exception of the UE5 demo, but that's not even a game.

Personally the leap from PS1/N64 to Dreamcast will never be topped.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Feels like it to me, since I only have a base PS4 and only got a 4K TV like three months ago.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
Not even close to the leap from 2D (Snes- Megadrive) and 3D (PlayStation, Saturn, N64).

If we're looking at the 3D era only, the leap from PS1 to PS2 it's still far beyond the next gen promises.

Just take a look:

1998 > 2001

7-Metal_Gear_Solid_PS1.jpg

_2073503b.jpg

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
A good chunk of the performance difference will be nullified by higher target resolutions. From a rendering standpoint, I am expecting this to be one of the smallest jumps ever.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
SNES to N64 is the biggest leap this industry is ever likely to have.

However VR/AR could change that eventually but not yet, it's too restrictive.

Honorable mention to the cartridge to cd jump, mind blowing

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing is going to match the early changes in the industry ever again. The difference that going from different cartridge formats to CD to DVD made, extremely basic 2D all the way up to 3D, the technology gains itself where transformative even if the games didn't seek out to leverage new features. Next gen hardware is impressive but its simply impossible to match a leap like going from the SNES to a PS1.
I think the differences this time around will be in game design, moreso than visuals (although the leap will be huge there as well).

Game devs have been used to trickery in order to load areas in games. Crawling through tight speces, slow elevator rides, slower characters in general in order to easily stream in the next area...

All of these things, will be a thing of the past. Gone. Just like that... That's crazy to me - And I can't even imagine how it must feel for developers!

Ratchet on PS5 is currently the best example of this. I imagine God of War will blow our minds next year.

*Kratos voice*

YOU'RE NOT READY.

Oct 28, 2017
N64 to Gamecube
PS1 to PS2
Saturn to Dreamcast

Everything console that came out from 1999-2001 dwarfs the previous generation by a fair margin. More so than now.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Cpu wise only transistioning from 2d to 3d was better. Last gen was more of sidegrade and while the 360 jump was nice it nothjng like the jump we did to ryzen.

Ram and gpus have had way better treatment.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Ps5/XSX games, based on what we've seen so far, look like refined/enhanced Ps4/XB1 games, which looked like refined/enhanced Ps3/360 games. Probably a bit simplified POV, but mainly what I'm saying there is a diminishing returns effect going on for a few gens. Graphics for me reached the point of 'this looks good enough' a while ago, but maybe my standards are low ( shrugs).

I've had three ' this is next level' moments in gaming: 1) going from SNES/Genesis to running around the castle in SM64, 2) playing Gears of War for the first time with my first HDTV, and 3) putting the PSVR headset on for the first time and playing astrobot in the playroom. Otherwise, the generational improvements across the last 2 decades are clear but the effect of 'more HD/more effects/HDR' etc lands differently.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I think the differences this time around will be in game design, moreso than visuals (although the leap will be huge there as well).

Game devs have been used to trickery in order to load areas in games. Crawling through tight speces, slow elevator rides, slower characters in general in order to easily stream in the next area...

All of these things, will be a thing of the past. Gone. Just like that... That's crazy to me - And I can't even imagine how it must feel for developers!

Ratchet on PS5 is currently the best example of this. I imagine God of War will blow our minds next year.

*Kratos voice*

YOU'RE NOT READY.

These are all great refinements, but previous gens were not just about visuals either. We're talking about literal transformative changes like going from 2D SNES games to 3D N64 games. Completely new genres and types of interactions popped up during the PS1/N64 eras just by the nature of 3D being possible outside of highly specialized very limited experiences like SNES Star Fox.

And the move to CD as a storage format likely benefited sound design more than anything else. We actually had generations of console games where it was impressive if a game robotically spewed a handful of highly digitized words to full on voice acting in games.

This isn't a knock on the gains of the XSX or PS5, but the early generations of consoles were so limited in capability that every next gen experience was actually transformative. Fewer hidden loading zones isn't anywhere in the same ballpark as something like 'oh now Mario 64 is actually possible'.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
Wow, definitely not. Pretty much any generational leap between 1980-2000 was much more dramatic.

There's also the question of how long a 'generation' is. 7 years isn't far off the time between Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 64 (depending on region).

You'll never see generational leaps like you did over those decades. I suppose if you've only been gaming over the last 20 years maybe it seems a big deal.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
These are all great refinements, but previous gens were not just about visuals either. We're talking about literal transformative changes like going from 2D SNES games to 3D N64 games. Completely new genres and types of interactions popped up during the PS1/N64 eras just by the nature of 3D being possible outside of highly specialized very limited experiences like SNES Star Fox.

And the move to CD as a storage format likely benefited sound design more than anything else. We actually had generations of console games where it was impressive if a game robotically spewed a handful of highly digitized words to full on voice acting in games.

This isn't a knock on the gains of the XSX or PS5, but the early generations of consoles were so limited in capability that every next gen experience was actually transformative. Fewer hidden loading zones isn't anywhere in the same ballpark as something like 'oh now Mario 64 is actually possible'.
I think this upcoming generation will be transformative precisely for the reasons I mentioned. Developers haven't been able design games around moving several gigs of data in only a second, ever. From desiging games around 20 mb/s to at least 2,5 gb/s - That's simply crazy!

You choosing to limit it to terms like "just fewer loading screens" is doing these new SSD's a disservice.

We can just barely imagine what types of experiences developers will cook up with them. Whatever is in the game world, will be available in seconds. Devs won't need to plan around the current restrictions anymore!

Dynanism in general will skyrocket next-gen. Have a fully detailed town ravaged and blown to smithereens while you're in it? No problem! Moving around detailed environments at blistering speeds? Not. A. Problem!

Game scenarios in general won't be as stiff anymore. While it's a game with it's fair share of problems, Star Citizen is a good example of what to expect, gameplay-wise.

I recommend you watch DF's series on it, to get a much better grasp on what I'm talking about. Dictator did an amazing job explaining it all!

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
You choosing to limit it to terms like "just fewer loading screens" is doing these new SSD's a disservice.

I know exactly what the SSDs can do, it was just a generalized point. The point is the while the SSDs can bring about a ton of QoL features, improved details, segments not possible on previous systems without strict loading points (Ratchet and Clank portals for example) fundamentally the gameplay isn't as different as what previous generations brought, because current gen consoles (PS4/XBO) aren't nearly as limited as prior tech was.

I'd go as far as to say that the straight up introduction of an analog stick on a default controller is a bigger generational leap for gameplay than the SSD tech in the PS5/XSX.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I know exactly what the SSDs can do, it was just a generalized point. The point is the while the SSDs can bring about a ton of QoL features, improved details, segments not possible on previous systems without strict loading points (Ratchet and Clank portals for example) fundamentally the gameplay isn't as different as what previous generations brought, because current gen consoles (PS4/XBO) aren't nearly as limited as prior tech was.

I'd go as far as to say that the straight up introduction of an analog stick on a default controller is a bigger generational leap for gameplay than the SSD tech in the PS5/XSX.
Sounds like upcoming VR games might be your thing, then. And no, I'm not being sarcastic - I think these consoles will be transformative for that as well (just imagine the PSVR2 games on PS5...)

I get what you mean, but I still disagree. You might have a certain moveset, but it'll be extended either way (an evolution). They ways in which you'll be able to interact with the world on the other hand, will be transformative.

Not to mention the immense CPU upgrade, which will help with dynamic crowds, better AI, much better physics etc.

The big step with the current generation was the jump to 8 gigs of RAM.

While not nearly as big a leap in RAM this time around, this upcoming generation is still taking major strides toward in eliminating bottlenecks that haven't been addressed for 20 years.

In general, I'd say the leap is bigger than from 360/PS3 > X1/PS4 and much more akin to Xbox/PS2 > 360/PS3, which is good enough for me.

Last edited:

D_K

Oct 28, 2017
France
My personal one is PS1 to Dreamcast. I was 14 back then and it was black magic when I played Soul Calibur for the first time. I was used to 15fps games with Minecraft characters and Bam realistics ones at 60 fps.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing that will top a 2d to 3d generational leap in my opinion is like a Full Dive VR like Sword Art Online. Even then that is many decades away.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's a pretty big leap, but some of the biggest leaps were from earlier generations, especially the PS1 to PS2. The Xbox 360 and PS3 were also pretty huge leaps from their previous gen counterparts.

Jul 17, 2018
People are only focused on graphics. I'm also expecting better A.I, better physics, better destructible environments, more interiors, more NPCs, faster load times ,etc, etc.

No duh is not gonna be a 2D to 3D leap or even PS1 to PS2 leap but its definitely going to be a leap. I'm expecting open world games to take the most advantage of the new hardware. Also racing games maybe more intense with SSDs(someone correct me).

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
On paper, no clue, but in practice I doubt we'll ever see a jump like SNES -> N64 ever again.

This. I can totally agree that, we will certainly not see a generational leap as prolific as the SNES > N64, as that went from 16bit to a whopping 64 in just a few years time. Mind you the N64 was delayed several times before its initial release, but in spite of that, the system helped to revolutionize what we play today.