• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
The concept of not being able to do anything to a goose is wild, but in a situation where hurting it would probably be looked down upon, understandable I guess.

Chimpanzees though? Those guys are crazy

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
tumblr_nxam2uagvN1tpri36o1_500.gifv

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know which is crazier, someone thinking they can take on a gorilla or someone thinking they can't take on a house cat.
Probably there's some people who weren't sure how to interpret the question and figured that the cat would run away and that they therefore wouldn't beat it.

Plus also older people and/or people with mobility difficulties - there's a non-trivial percentage of people who genuinely would struggle to beat a cat.

(If those people were excluded from the survey that'd probably mean that like 50% of young able-bodied men think that they'd be able to take a chimp.)

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Lol. Never fails to amuse me just how clueless people are. Humans are pound for pound among the weaker animals on the planet.

Funnily, this reminds me of an amusing infamous thread on the NarutoFan Forums where one of the mods, Blue, argued for several pages that he could take on a grizzly with a katana.
Never thought I'd hear that name on this place.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's not remotely crazy. I'm impressed that 3/4 realize how deceptively powerful chimpanzees are. Considering how dumb people are, and how frankly irrelevant that piece of zoological trivia is, I'd rather educate the populace on, say, climate change or vaccine efficacy or just basic statistics than "chimps will fuck you up bro!"

But apparently Animal Planet is more popular than things that matter, so here we are.
If you'd rather educate the populace on that, go and fucking do it instead of whining about it here.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get that people are largely meme'ing, but the goose talk is getting silly. Sure, they can be pests and they're quite hardy, but there's close to zero chance that a goose wins an actual fight with a human being. Same with cats. Trickier with medium-size dogs but generally it shouldn't be a problem. It goes downhill from there, and obviously people thinking they can take lions, bears, etc, are completely delusional.
The issue is that everyone is reading this question differently from "will I survive this?" & "will I win a fight to the death?" to "can I win and stay completely unharmed" & "would I even fight this?". It's an unbalanced question since people's questions seem to differ even between animals.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I kinda feel like if a chimpanzee wants you dead it's the most dangerous thing on the list. Like, you can at least 'sort' of climb away from a Bear. Chimp is gonna rip your face off.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
The lower 3rd of that list is all about intent. Geese are scary because they come at you 100% ready to throw down when most people aren't. Me against a goose with both of us absolutely ready to kill of course I'm going to crush that stupid neck.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Are crocodiles REALLY in the elephant-lion league? Like, I assume the fight takes place on dry land and they can't ambush you. (And I assume we're talking American crocodiles here, not like Saltwater Crocs.)

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not me. I still have memories of being a kid and getting attacked by a goose cause I had ice cream. I'm not taking one on ever.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Are crocodiles REALLY in the elephant-lion league? Like, I assume the fight takes place on dry land and they can't ambush you. (And I assume we're talking American crocodiles here, not like Saltwater Crocs.)
I don't think it should take place entirely on dry land. How is it a fair fight if the terrain favours humans? It should be a closed arena with a mixture of terrain types, and maybe a Fortnite-style circle of death that forces the combatants to move around.

rats percentage should be way lower

Rodentphobia is pretty rampart
I don't agree. Being afraid of something doesn't mean you don't believe you can defeat it. I'm scared of wasps but I know I can beat one in a fight.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what "beat" means here. How are you going to actually kill a crocodile? You can do the classic alligator wrestling move of straddling the shoulders to survive, but survival is basically the best you can hope for.

And that's assuming you can actually get in that position and know how to maintain it. One bite and croc will easily rip off your limb with a death roll.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The one time women are more overconfident of their chances than men it's over lions. LIONS.

LOL.
Anything within a few percent here is pretty much just statistical noise.

The lions question gets weirder when you factor in don't knows. 10% of men and 8% of women aren't sure whether they could beat a lion in a fight or not. Overall, 17% of Americans think they might be able to beat a lion in a fight, without any weapons. Among 18 to 35 year olds that goes up to 28%.

I'm just trying to imagine how you'd even go about fighting an elephant.
The people answering that they'd beat an elephant clearly haven't ever seen one in anything like a real-life setting. They've got to be imagining something that's horse-sized or thereabouts. Even then, most of them are delusional in thinking that they'd win, but that's the only way it makes sense that any of them think that way. I think some of the other answers are based on a similar lack of any real knowledge about the creatures.

Even on dry land, what are you doing to a crocodile to win? Like, let's say it just saunters over to you, then stops and makes no effort to harm you, magically. You're free to do whatever and all that it'll do is try to keep itself the right way up. What's your plan for beating it?

(Oh, and since we're gifting you the dry land, you don't get the win on the assumption about crocodile type. It's an adult male Nile crocodile - not as big as a Saltwater croc, but definitely not small).

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The rat would be tougher to kill than the goose or cat. Cornering one isn't easy. Geese are stupidly aggressive, but won't have a chance against a human in a serious fight.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
lol, I love how it breaks for men on every animal except for more women than men thinking they can take on a lion.

Clearly women have read up on their matchup tables.

Personally out of all these animals I couldn't kill (as in actively hunt down) any of them except a Cobra. Snakes have a tendency to take a defensive posture before attacking and their bodies are too frail to survive hits from a sufficiently large enough rock.

If any of these animals were the aggressors and got the jump on my for whatever reason I only see house cat and rats as survivable (ignoring the disease factor). Medium sized dogs and Geese are extremely iffy on my chances of survival.

And this is why Pokemon trainers are a thing. This goose is getting by on intimidating shout and that's it.

Definitely above lions.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Even on dry land, what are you doing to a crocodile to win? Like, let's say it just saunters over to you, then stops and makes no effort to harm you, magically. You're free to do whatever and all that it'll do is try to keep itself the right way up. What's your plan for beating it?

I would probably stomp on its head till it died? Woul that work? I mean, I guess I see your point that it would probably end in a draw, but you better believe that I would for the rest of my life tell myself I "took" a crocodile.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The people answering that they'd beat an elephant clearly haven't ever seen one in anything like a real-life setting. They've got to be imagining something that's horse-sized or thereabouts. Even then, most of them are delusional in thinking that they'd win, but that's the only way it makes sense that any of them think that way. I think some of the other answers are based on a similar lack of any real knowledge about the creatures.
For elephant, I feel a lot of people just don't realize how dangerous large herbivores are. Like if you put "bull" here, I bet a ton of people would say they could beat a bull unarmed. Which... No. You can't. It's a fucking bull. It will kill you. At best, you can get in a position where it can't kill you and survive.

An elephant makes a bull look like a housecat.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
You're free to do whatever and all that it'll do is try to keep itself the right way up. What's your plan for beating it?
With that ruleset, I would start eating it. Might take a while, but I'd be victorious.

With a croc that actually wants to live, I'd stomp on its tail until it fled.

With a croc that won't flee, I'd stay behind it until I was too weak to keep going, then I'd collapse, then it'd eat me.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably stomp on its head till it died? Woul that work? I mean, I guess I see your point that it would probably end in a draw, but you better believe that I would for the rest of my life tell myself I "took" a crocodile.
Croc's have lightning quick strikes. Getting your foot anywhere near its mouth and you're done. Not to mention they can get to like 20 ft long and weigh hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I don't agree. Being afraid of something doesn't mean you don't believe you can defeat it. I'm scared of wasps but I know I can beat one in a fight.

Once the lady living on the ground floor in our summer resort called me to climb down the stairs. Apparently, a little mouse was hiding in her veranda behind a plant. I just took the broom and brushed it away. Had I not come, she would have waited for eternity.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think I heard crocs although they have high jaw bite strength have low jaw strength for opening their mouths? So technically if you get real lucky you could hold its mouth closed and try to work the eyes.

And then the croc rolls over and crushes you because it's like 20 feet long and muscly.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Personally out of all these animals I couldn't kill (as in actively hunt down) any of them except a Cobra. Snakes have a tendency to take a defensive posture before attacking and their bodies are too frail to survive hits from a sufficiently large enough rock.
Rocks aren't allowed. Drop the rock.

If you're allowed rocks, the eagle is allowed rocks, and then its win rate goes way up.

Once the lady living on the ground floor in our summer resort called me to climb down the stairs. Apparently, a little mouse was hiding in her veranda behind a plant. I just took the broom and brushed it away. Had I not come, she would have waited for eternity.
She doesn't want to fight it and if YouGov decided to hold a massive tournament to find out how accurate these results are, she wouldn't volunteer. But if she was forced to participate, she'd win against the mouse, and she knows that. She'd be so scared she'd fucking pulverise that mouse.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Crocodiles have evolved to withstand kicks to the head from large hoofed herbivores. They're also absurdly pain tolerant. I've seen a video of a crocodile biting another croc's leg off with the second croc barely noticing.

Not to mention that if you're in the position to stomp on the crocodile's head, it's in the position to bite your leg and rip it clean off.

The best you can hope for with a croc is a stalemate. And that's assuming you're one hell of an alligator wrestler.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
LOL I had to kick a goose away from my dog this afternoon. This is very timely today.

it was charging very aggressively as we walked by and whacked my dog with its wing.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Crocodiles have evolved to withstand kicks to the head from large hoofed herbivores. They're also absurdly pain tolerant. I've seen a video of a crocodile biting another croc's leg off with the second croc barely noticing.

Not to mention that if you're in the position to stomp on the crocodile's head, it's in the position to bite your leg and rip it clean off.

The best you can hope for with a croc is a stalemate.

"Crocodiles can live for 2 years without food or water."

You're not winning the stalemate either.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
How do more people think they could take on a kangaroo than a wolf? Like, I think I can probably take a wolf. A kangaroo though? Those fuckers are huge and swole. A kick from one would probably collapse my lungs or some shit.

Largest wolves can get up to 200 lbs and stand nearly 6ft on their hind legs.

Let's say an average size wolf of 130 lbs gets ahold of you.

99551413-close-up-of-a-wolf-s-teeth.jpg

You've already lost a chunk of yourself and are bleeding all over the place.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know crocs were Viltrumites.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... Okay, you've all convinced me a crocodile is probably unbeatable.

BUT I am QUITE confident any adult could take an eagle. They fly down to attack you, you punch or grab it, it can't fly anymore, you kill it easily. Yeah, it gets the first hit, and maybe takes out an eye, but come on, birds are just too frail. Convince me I'm wrong.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all over-estimating chimps. The fuck a chimp gonna do when I pull out a TOOL?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is a goose going to do? Sure they're fearless, but they rely 100% on intimidation. Just keep your cool and its a lock. They got hollow bones, a long neck and I have grip strength. Actual irl Type Advantage. Easy.

My question is what's with the 20-30% that doesn't believe they can take on a rat? Outside of extreme phobias.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know crocs were Viltrumites.
It turns out there are a lot of videos of crocs biting off other crocs' legs. They get kinda crazy when there's food.

Hmm... Okay, you've all convinced me a crocodile is probably unbeatable.

BUT I am QUITE confident any adult could take an eagle. They fly down to attack you, you punch or grab it, it can't fly anymore, you kill it easily. Yeah, it gets the first hit, and maybe takes out an eye, but come on, birds are just too frail. Convince me I'm wrong.
Killing an eagle seems feasible. The eagle will give you hell though.

zh3kf5zsq3g11.jpg

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
She doesn't want to fight it and if YouGov decided to hold a massive tournament to find out how accurate these results are, she wouldn't volunteer. But if she was forced to participate, she'd win against the mouse, and she knows that. She'd be so scared she'd fucking pulverise that mouse.

mouse needs only one bite to win, even if it dies.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is a goose going to do? Sure they're fearless, but they rely 100% on intimidation. Just keep your cool and its a lock. They got hollow bones, a long neck and I have grip strength. Easy.

My question is what's with the 20-30% that doesn't believe they can take on a rat?
Maybe they think the rat is too small/hard to catch lol

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a fight with a chimp would come down to the size of the human. Someone here mentioned the dude who plays The Mountain in Game of Thrones as an example. That guy is 6'9" and weighs like 400lbs. Someone huge like that with some combat training could easily take a chimp that maxes out at about 4-5ft and 120lbs.

Now a gorilla? Fuck that…