• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arrested Development or Community?

• Arrested Development (full series)

Votes: 213 50.1%
  • Community (full series)

Votes: 189 44.5%
  • I still need to watch or finish them

Votes: 23 5.4%

• Total voters

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Community, as a full package, is a better series than Arrested Development. ...which I never thought I would say.

latest

Community isn't immediately brilliant. The first half of Season 1 feels like a mostly vanilla single camera modern sitcom with semi quirky, semi likable characters that slowly let's it's insane creator Dan Harmon start to inject his own bizarre creative twists, visually unique thematic episodes and multilayered meta humor.

While Community had a season (4) that lacked the show's heart, lost members of it's cast and was moved to Yahoo! streaming with it's final, weirdly lit season, it was able to return to quality during it's final two years and stick the landing with a touching finale worthy of the show's characters.

latest

Arrested Development, unlike Community, immediately ingenious. Each character feels as though they already have an entire book of backstory behind them and you can't wait to reach the next page. Before the show's infamously complex, series-lasting inside jokes even begin to breach the surface, the promise of brilliance is already seen. You cannot wait to see where this Wes Anderson-esque cast of should-be psychotherapy patients will drag Jason Bateman's overprotective father character.

Unfortunately the series both divided the family into standalone episodes, losing the frenetic energy of the cast's impossibly perfect chemistry but also took a massive tonal shift into a bleak, more pessimistic world that insisted on bringing the show's only anchors of warmth into an even more self-serving character dynamic that would have better suited Dennis Reynolds.

Here is where some of you will disagree with me-

"See? That's the point! Michael Bluth was always just as selfish as the rest of his family!"

No. It's not. It never was. While the original series made a point to show us that Michael was far from perfect, most of his selfish and admittedly ill-conceived choices were performed in service of protecting his son, ever more precious to him after the loss of his wife. Season 4 and it's defense force insisting that he had always been a secret sociopath removes the small sliver of warmth that once balanced the world of destruction around it. It also eliminates the lion's share of the show's humor by deleting an anchor point.

Moments like this don't happen anymore.
tumblr_mhcrtyJhLE1rvnnvyo6_250.gif

Michael is only my biggest problem. The entire show is more cynical, there is more shock humor, the new characters are mostly awful and there are far less laughs per minute. Yes, the layered story is cool to unpack but did it come at the cost of humor?

Regardless of how their revivals performed, if you have ever watched and enjoyed Modern Family, Parks & Recreation, Brooklyn 99, The Middle or Better Off Ted then you owe it to yourself to watch two of the three shows that inspired their ilk.

This video does a great job of explaining how both shows started in contrast to where they ended and why:

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both Season 2 of Arrested Development and Season 2 of Community are about as peak quality sitcom ever made. The Arrested Development revival is definitely worse than Community's revival, I agree.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Community is my personal favorite because the warmth, humor, and relatability of the characters endeared it to me, and got me through hard times for a couple years. But I think the first three seasons of AD are funnier, on a pure humor level.

Oct 25, 2017
Community only had one truly bad season, so as a whole it's better (I for one loved the final two seasons and don't get the hate for them at all).

But man, Arrested Development.... those first three seasons are just the best, most re-watchable seasons... I think I've seen those episodes more times than any other piece of media in my lifetime.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Arrested Development S1-3 is some of the funniest TV I've ever watched. S4 wasn't the same but still had some hilarious stuff in it, but I still haven't seen S5.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Love them both. I think Arrested Development arguably had a better peak. But it's Community for me.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I ain't really watched Community (my brother always tells me I need to and I will soon), but I agree dry much your assessment of Arrested Development OP.

I feel like the writers were also maybe too self conscious about Micheal being just the "straight man" character in the comedy dynamic (straight is comedy, not as sexuality). But half the jokes worked so well because the characters so earnest in his reactions to everyone.

I still giggle to myself when I think of how he told George Micheal in season 1 he could share anything, GM says "even if I had like a crush on my cousin," and the look on Micheals face.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
These are two of the best shows ever made. Season 1 and 2 of AD are perfect. Along with the second half of season 1 and all of season 2 of Community. Season 3 of each has some of their best moments (Remedial Chaos Theory) and also some of their strangest/worst aka (wtf happened with Chang, and the whole British stuff from AD) In spite of that little blip towards the end, I rewatch all the episodes from Season 1-3 of both show all the time.

AD is almost cartoon like, Community is super lucid and absurd at its best. Gob, Buster, Tobias and Pierce are GOAT characters.

After the original runs, removal of Dan Harmon for season 4, etc. both shows lose that original luster, but are still enjoyable to some capacity.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
AD has the higest highs but also the lowest lows (and more bad seasons with 4 and 5), Community 5 and 6 are meh but watchable
Both series season 2 are god tier
In general I think Community is the most balanced show, but I think I like AD a little bit more

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Community only has two good seasons and then it craters to the earth like a meteor.

Arrested had 3 and 1 good remix season.

Pretty easy.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
AD at its peak was a GOAT show. I love Community but it's not even close.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how both shows never recover after their third season (although Community certainly has more highlights later on).

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
(full series)
Now that's just evil.

I will say that AD at its peak was better than Community. And its peak lasted longer.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They both have terrible fourth seasons.

I probably prefer community through to the end. I didn't totally hate season four of arrested development but I haven't gotten around to watching season 5

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Arrested Development Season 5 recovered a bit in the end, but it was still a far cry from the highs of the original three seasons.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love them both, but see them as fairly hard to compare.
At its core Community is about a group of people who are mostly likable (with Chang and Hawthorne the exceptions).
AD is about a group of people who are mostly awful people.

Both are funny, but it's like trying to compare Parks and Rec. or Friends with Curb or Always Sunny.

Borocor

Oct 27, 2017
Community is probably the most overrated comedy of all time. Lazy writing completely reliant on inside jokes and pop culture references ("Oooh Abed was wearing that T-shirt with the show they referenced in episode 3! LMFAO Fucking genius!") and unearned, sweet as syrup episode wrapups.

So many absolutely zero characters. Jeff Winger never did anything funny. Shirley never did anything funny. John Oliver never did anything funny. Chang became the most one-note, annoying character on TV after about 2 episodes. The rest weren't much better, other than the brilliant Jim Rash and sometimes Chevy Chase and Britta.

Arrested Development probably had 20 characters that were funnier than anyone on Community.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I love both, for very different reasons. I think I still prefer AD.

The bigger question used to be AD vs It's Always Sunny. Sunny's consistent quality stole AD's crown for me. AD is smarter and funnier at its absolute peak, but I find Sunny better in just about every respect that matters. Same reason I prefer Sunny to Curb (and Community), even though Curb's quality never dipped.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it only had three seasons, I laughed more times watching Arrested Development than I did watching all six seasons of Community.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Community is my personal favorite because the warmth, humor, and relatability of the characters endeared it to me, and got me through hard times for a couple years. But I think the first three seasons of AD are funnier, on a pure humor level.

Yeah. Arrested Development probably has more laughter moments, but the heart of community and characters i much prefer. The episodes are also completely bonkers.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Network AD > Early Community > Later Community > Netflix AD.

If I had to rewatch one over, it'd be AD, so I guess AD.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I love both, for very different reasons. I think I still prefer AD.

The bigger question used to be AD vs It's Always Sunny. Sunny's consistent quality stole AD's crown for me. AD is smarter and funnier at its absolute peak, but I find Sunny better in just about every respect that matters. Same reason I prefer Sunny to Curb (and Community), even though Curb's quality never dipped.
Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen AD compared to Sunny but it's something to think about.

I like how Sunny copy-pastes the story telling structure of Seinfeld but let's it's cast run wild with full, unfiltered insanity. It's kind of Sociopath Seinfeld in it's format and I love it.

Arrested Development S1-S3 > Community > Arrested Development S4 & S5

Now this is worth thinking about. Well damn.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Community is probably the most overrated comedy of all time. Lazy writing completely reliant on inside jokes and pop culture references ("Oooh Abed was wearing that T-shirt with the show they referenced in episode 3! LMFAO Fucking genius!") and unearned, sweet as syrup episode wrapups.

So many absolutely zero characters. Jeff Winger never did anything funny. Shirley never did anything funny. John Oliver never did anything funny. Chang became the most one-note, annoying character on TV after about 2 episodes. The rest weren't much better, other than the brilliant Jim Rash and sometimes Chevy Chase and Britta.

Arrested Development probably had 20 characters that were funnier than anyone on Community.

d8aec53e8aa067f4ced101cac93e347c.gif

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Community S1 has to be the most perfect season of a sitcom I've ever seen.

AD's original run is the most rounded as a whole tho, it's absolutely hilarious and masterful.

Imo, if we were to judge Community's first three seasons and AD's original run, AD wins because it's more consistently brilliant throughout its first seasons even if Season 3 is a dip in quality. But the same happened to Community, only in its case it was a really big "hit or miss" kind of deal: some absolutely amazing episodes paired up with relatively forgettable ones.

Now, the coziness of early Community is something I'll never get again from a show. It was so wholesome in a weird way.

It's a shame what happened to both shows. Even if it was a bigger crime in AD's case, post-S3 Community made me so sad that I haven't rewatched the show in years lol, even if S5 and S6 still had some quality episodes and moments. But everything felt so much cheaper, lifeless and depressing and not in a good way; it also abused its quirks (their handling of Abed wasn't good at all) so badly that it became annoying.

Last edited:

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
AD had a better peak but my god the revival hasn't been pretty so I'd give the edge on the whole to community.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Community is amazing all the way through, whereas AD isn't.

Community's also probably my favorite show of all-time though, and I'm currently in the middle of rewatching it (gas leak season).

This sounds like a review from Pierce.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Arrested Development easily still wins because of the first three seasons, Community never hit that high.

And of course, I have just mentally zoned out the existence of S4 and S5.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Both of them got worse, but they were both incredible in their first few seasons. I like Community better, though.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Community fell off for me after S2. I don't even remember if I finished S3.
Season 3 has some legitimately amazing episodes, but it's true that the quality dropped and they started abusing the quirks of characters and making more concept/gimmick episodes to the point of annoyance.

It's honestly crazy how good Season 1 and 2 were (especially 1).

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed harder during Season 1-3 of Arrested than I did throughout the entire Community series. With that said, Community is still an amazing show and still one of the funniest, I just appreciated Arrested's humor more.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
arrested development is like an artist that makes albums that need to be listened to the entire way through to be fully enjoyed. community is like an artist that makes albums full of catchy, fun songs.

i can tell you more about the recurring jokes and catchphrases from arrested development, but i can tell you more about the episodes of community that i loved. remedial chaos theory is the best thing to happen out of both shows (although it was weirdly detrimental to community).

i'll go with community.

Jul 4, 2019
I would probably take Community. Arrested Development seasons 1 and 2 are better than Community's first two seasons, but minus the gas leak year I take the rest of Community over AD.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
arrested development is like an artist that makes albums that need to be listened to the entire way through to be fully enjoyed. community is like an artist that makes albums full of catchy, fun songs.

i can tell you more about the recurring jokes and catchphrases from arrested development, but i can tell you more about the episodes of community that i loved. remedial chaos theory is the best thing to happen out of both shows (although it was weirdly detrimental to community).

i'll go with community.
I like this take.

I very much doubt I will ever watch AD again now that it's over. I was just thinking about doing a community re-watch in the next weeks.

Anyway TEAM BRITTA for life.

edit: and one other thing I'll say. People like to shit on season 4 of community, but that season really did a lot of redeeming for Pierce's character that I felt was really needed after how mean spirited he became.

Last edited:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
My immediate reaction is Arrested Development, but I think Community is more rewatchable and it grows on me the more times I do. Season 5 of Arrested Development left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I haven't seen the yahoo season of community, but for me it wins by the tiniest of noses.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Arrested Development because the first 3 seasons are up there with the all-time best comedy. Community is still great though. Which reminds me, I never did catch that final Yahoo season.

I've also just discovered S4 of Arrested had a recut to add episodes. Does this mean I should watch the entire recut S4 or does it continue from where the original S4 ended?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I love Community, but nothing about late-era Arrested Development can tarnish what came before. The original run of AD is untouchable.