• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
First few episodes are good but I think it was around the 'reverse porky's' joke I started to think it was a really special show, then the paintball episode happened and it turned out to be one the all time greats.
I can't even remember if I watched the last season though. Seems like the perfect time to start again.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The show doesn't really start taking off until the end of season 1 when it starts to get a bunch of highly rated episodes

go56qgw4llr41.jpg

However, if you are already on episode 12 and not liking it, IMO you aren't going to like the rest of it.

Guessing that chart mixes up season 3 episode 3 & 4 because 3-3 (Remedial Chaos Theory) is widely considered one of the best episodes of the whole series and possibly THE best episode.

Maybe I should give season 5 another try, but I found it overall really bad. Season 4 was bad because it was boring and didn't feel like Community. Season 5 was bad because it felt like an exaggeration of Community, like someone trying to relive their high school days during a mid-life crisis. Some of the episodes have fun ideas, but the execution is off. Losing Chevy Chase was no big loss, but losing Troy a few episodes in was devastating to the cast dynamic. With Troy's enthusiasm gone and the new cast member being a bitter, old man, the season just feels mean-spirited.

Season 6, on the other hand, felt like a cross between the more grounded season 1 & the highs of seasons 2 & 3. The two new cast members are great additions and Keith David & Paget Brewster threaten the steal the scene every time they're on screen. I get that season 6 has a very different feel than the past seasons so it won't be to everyone's taste, but it really reinvigorated my love for the show after the lows of season 4 & 5.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yeahit was this scene:

The sequence definitely is weird and shouldn't work on paper but the show just wears it's heart on its sleeve and despite itself makes a wonderfully quirky warm moment.

I haven't watched since the first run. I also never watched when it went to Yahoo... a rewatch might be in order (might skip S4 though).

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I almost forgot in my post of defense of season 4 it also gave us Brie Larson who was a gem in her criminally short stint as Abed's girlfriend that was continued in one ep in S5.

I'm so sad she wasn't in S6 because she blew up and became a huge star.

Yup, I watched all the show recently and season 4 and 6 weren't terrible like I remembered. There were low points but generally still better than most comedy television.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I watched a few episodes of this on the over the years and loved it.

I'm going to watch it whole now :)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm reading the old GAF threads for the show as I go through my rewatch.

And wow, it's crazy what was acceptable only 10 years ago. The amount of trolling and sexism in those threads is rough.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

And wow, it's crazy what was acceptable only 10 years ago. The amount of trolling and sexism in those threads is rough.
Yeah . . . I mostly remember them being fun celebrations of the show (and an incredible factory for gifs), but I'm quite worried about what I'd have to read about Alison Brie.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious what people think when they get the context for #6seasonsandamovie.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump Tower, this is Donald. Well he can deep fry the hell out of chicken, I can tell you that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized the entire show is still on Hulu as well. I assumed with this that it would be removed from Hulu... How's this work?

OP
OP
edo_kid

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Man Pierce is crazy, him going to fake apologize to Shirley for dropping her pants only to go to the wrong black women on the other bench just killed me lmao

You're starting to get into the episodes that really made the show special.

Another great episode/spoof, Paintball was great.

Sr. Chang walking like an assassin with dramatic chinese music in the background lol just ridiculous

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the defining episodes of this series.

Yeah, while watching the first season I remember Halloween being the first taste that the show was different, but Modern Warfare is where I think the show first stood out as being as uniquely weird and compelling and fun in a way nothing else was.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, while watching the first season I remember Halloween being the first taste that the show was different, but Modern Warfare is where I think the show first stood out as being as uniquely weird and compelling and fun in a way nothing else was.
Yes. The moment that Abed rescues Pierce and the subsequent conversation with Troy was the first moment I realized how special this show was.

The Paintball episode is it's full potential realized and opens the floodgate for many more themed concept episodes.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The moment that Abed rescues Pierce and the subsequent conversation with Troy was the first moment I realized how special this show was.

The Paintball episode is it's full potential realized and opens the floodgate for many more themed concept episodes.
Absolutely. I remember showing the paintball episode to all my friends while on a trip and it instantly hooked all of them.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up S1 last night. So damn good. Looking forward to experiencing S2+ for the first time.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just realized the entire show is still on Hulu as well. I assumed with this that it would be removed from Hulu... How's this work?

Sony made a non-exclusive deal with Netflix and extended their deal with Hulu. Pretty nice to see a deal like that when everything seems to be exclusive to a service.

variety.com

‘Community’ Heads to Netflix, but Will Also Remain on Hulu as Part of New Sony TV Deal

Sony Pictures TV has sealed a non-exclusive deal to sell six seasons of "Community" to Netflix, while also extending its pact with Hulu.

Pop pop! Netflix has sealed a multi-year, non-exclusive global deal with Sony Pictures TV to start streaming all six seasons of the fan favorite comedy "Community" starting April 1. As part of the deal, Sony has also extended its license with Hulu for the show's entire 110-episode library, but now on a non-exclusive basis.

Since both deals are non-exclusive, Sony is also looking to license the series to other platforms, and is currently in discussions with other potential partners. The show is available on Amazon Prime Video in some international territories, and had already been seen on Netflix in Latin America and Ireland.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Absolutely. I remember showing the paintball episode to all my friends while on a trip and it instantly hooked all of them.
Haha yes, this is the episode I show people to tease them and best explain why the series is so magical.

That way when they start Season 1 and the first few episodes feel like a slightly above average sitcom, they'll know that the wait will pay off.

It always works too. I've gotten 5 or 6 people hooked on this show now.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have seen anyone mention this here yet, but Joel McHale and Ken Jeong launched a podcast recently since they have been stuck at home, and it's pretty great. Just a whole lot of them alternating between brutal mockery and effusive praise.

It's been a great watch so far, and I am onboard for the whole thing. Hopefully, this blows up and coupled with Community's success on Netflix we actually see that movie we've been hoping for the past decade. The biggest blocker is probably Dan Harmon, who is undeniably his own worst enemy.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I should give season 5 another try, but I found it overall really bad. Season 4 was bad because it was boring and didn't feel like Community. Season 5 was bad because it felt like an exaggeration of Community, like someone trying to relive their high school days during a mid-life crisis. Some of the episodes have fun ideas, but the execution is off. Losing Chevy Chase was no big loss, but losing Troy a few episodes in was devastating to the cast dynamic. With Troy's enthusiasm gone and the new cast member being a bitter, old man, the season just feels mean-spirited.

That's what I kind of dislike about season 5. There's this cynicism and mean spiritedness to it that wasn't as obvious in previous seasons. A lot of people dislike season 4 (and I can understand why) but it lacked a sort of nihilism, which came back extra strong in season 5. I think that's to do with Harmons influence, since it's extremely prevalent in Rick and Morty as well. Unfortunately.

And community is at it's best when it does heartfelt, inventive, quirky hijinks. For me. Which there are a lot of, fortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
The show doesn't really start taking off until the end of season 1 when it starts to get a bunch of highly rated episodes

go56qgw4llr41.jpg

However, if you are already on episode 12 and not liking it, IMO you aren't going to like the rest of it.

Surprised the Schmiddy episode and the Abed is Jesus episode aren't red in this chart.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit. I think I joined season 3 and made the season 6 thread. Hope I didn't say anything terrible, if so pls forgive me lol

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or are the episodes on Netflix using the short intro way more than the original broadcast did? I'm at the end of the first season, and so far, the full intro has been used only three times. But I could swear that in the original broadcast, the full intro would play every other episode. In other words, the show would alternate between the full and short intro.

Can anyone confirm?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oh shit. I think I joined season 3 and made the season 6 thread. Hope I didn't say anything terrible, if so pls forgive me lol

Haha, I've only gone up through season 2 and didn't really make note of the user names.

But I mean, it was 10 years ago. Sometimes I see old Facebook posts from 2009 pop up where I call something "gay" or "retarded" and I feel embarrassed. Old threads on GAF back then are like entire pages of that. I'm sure a lot of posters would feel bad if they went back and looked at them.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i watched it on hulu recently and i think it used the full intro through the first season, at least mostly. shortened intro didn't come until later.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is it me or are the episodes on Netflix using the short intro way more than the original broadcast did? I'm at the end of the first season, and so far, the full intro has been used only three times. But I could swear that in the original broadcast, the full intro would play every other episode. In other words, the show would alternate between the full and short intro.

Can anyone confirm?

I believe it was like that when they aired as well. You see the full intro all the time in season 2.

They go back and forth in season 1 a lot.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone confirm?

No, the original airings in season 1 frequently truncated the opening titles. I had to look it up, but TVTropes confirms:

A Title-Only Opening version of the theme with the single line "I can't count the reasons I should stay" was used in the majority of season 1 episodes (and two episodes from that season omit the theme tune altogether). But most episodes afterwards have either the regular full sequence or a Special Edition Title, with the truncated version only appearing once each in seasons 2 and 4, and not at all in season 3.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I've only gone up through season 2 and didn't really make note of the user names.

But I mean, it was 10 years ago. Sometimes I see old Facebook posts from 2009 pop up where I call something "gay" or "retarded" and I feel embarrassed. Old threads on GAF back then are like entire pages of that. I'm sure a lot of posters would feel bad if they went back and looked at them.

Lmao fair.

God it feels so long ago and yet it also feels like yesterday. I also remember snesfreak was a mainstay until he got banned.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've watched the first two episodes and while i like the overall cast and subject, when it goes over the top they just lost me, like in that episode 2 when they doing their presentation in spanish