• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I watched like 4 episodes and it didn't click with me still. Is there like a cutoff point, like "if you watch until X and still dont like it, then its not for you" kinda thing?

The show evolves rapidly towards the end of the first season, with the "Contemporary American Poultry" and "Modern Warfare" episodes moving it to more meta-humor, high concept ideas, and sheer madness. I'd watch the last few episodes of Season 1 or first few of Season 2 before making up your mind if, otherwise, you thought you'd really like it.

I watched and loved Community when it was coming out. I can't remember how kid-friendly is the show? I want to recommend it to my 12 year old son :)

Umm... they do tend to sexualize Annie a bit, Pierce has off color jokes, and there's some really dark character moments that happen later on but I can't think of anything that is straight up not ok for younger watchers? It is going to depend on what you're comfortable with him watching. If he's watching PG-13 or R movies or literally anything on Adult Swim it should be fine.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
letterboxd.com

Community's Pop Culture References

A by-no-means exhaustive compilation of parodies of, jokes about, and homages to cinema, as featured in that brilliant and genius show Community. TV not included, unfortunately, but this should already be plenty enough to better understand the intricate and far-reaching web of pop culture within...

Oct 27, 2017
I watched like 4 episodes and it didn't click with me still. Is there like a cutoff point, like "if you watch until X and still dont like it, then its not for you" kinda thing?

The show evolves rapidly towards the end of the first season, with the "Contemporary American Poultry" and "Modern Warfare" episodes moving it to more meta-humor, high concept ideas, and sheer madness. I'd watch the last few episodes of Season 1 or first few of Season 2 before making up your mind if, otherwise, you thought you'd really like it.

It clicked for me during the first Halloween episode which was episode 7.

"Contemporary American Poultry" and "Modern Warfare" are the two best episodes from S1. Just skip the episode inbetween them because yikes.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I loved this show. I used to "get together" with a group of friends on a streaming site I built for fun so we could watch episodes together and chat. I never got a chance to see the final season. Was it just six seasons? Or do they not count the Yahoo stuff?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this show. I used to "get together" with a group of friends on a streaming site I built for fun so we could watch episodes together and chat. I never got a chance to see the final season. Was it just six seasons? Or do they not count the Yahoo stuff?

They do count the sixth season and it's on Netflix too. It's worth watching.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My favorite episode was the one where Pierce is in the hospital and Abed films him.
Jeff's "Oh, I should probably tell you. If you're lying to me, if my father isn't coming, if a car pulls up and anyone other than my father steps out, say an actor or you in a wig, if you pull any Ferris Bueller, Parent Trap, Three's Company, FX, FX2: the Deadly Art of Illusion bull- I will beat you. And there will be nothing madcap or wacky about it." speech followed by Pierce lurching for the phone the second Jeff leaves the room cracks me up just thinking about it

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Started watching again, and it's like seeing an old friend. It's amazing it still holds up.

I remember sitting down to watch the very first episode live. NBC Thursday nights were so good at one point. The Office, 30 Rock, Community and Parks and Rec all in one night, all consistently great too.

I got nothing better to do, so I'm going to re-watch this whole thing .

Seeing everyone in season one is weird though, Chang is normal enough, Pierce actually gives some good advice, and Britta is smart.

I'm surprised to see that it looks like Chevy is actually trying in the first season.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The sixth season is pretty decent. It's a bit more budgeted and a little gassed in the jokes department, so it's definitely lower lower than the fifth seasonfor me, but you can feel and appreciate the atmosphere of it being "the last hoorah" for the series. Definitely a good send off for the series if you guys still need some closure.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to remind everyone that the season 2 D&D episode is another GOAT. That's one that I watch from time to time just for fun.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I have only ever watched S1 so I'm giving this another watch. S1 is great.

Oct 29, 2017
Jeff's "Oh, I should probably tell you. If you're lying to me, if my father isn't coming, if a car pulls up and anyone other than my father steps out, say an actor or you in a wig, if you pull any Ferris Bueller, Parent Trap, Three's Company, FX, FX2: the Deadly Art of Illusion bull- I will beat you. And there will be nothing madcap or wacky about it." speech followed by Pierce lurching for the phone the second Jeff leaves the room cracks me up just thinking about it
Me too!!!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): inappropriate commentary
I love this show

Mod edit: video content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I just watched the S1 debate episode. I know Annie/Jeff never become a thing and that's for the best since he's supposed to be playing twice her age.

(In what world does 2009 Alison Brie look like she's 18? Not even in Riverdale world would that be possible)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the S1 debate episode. I know Annie/Jeff never become a thing and that's for the best since he's supposed to be playing twice her age.

(In what world does 2009 Alison Brie look like she's 18? Not even in Riverdale world would that be possible)

Annie/Jeff seemed more like a thing they teased as the series went on because of fans shipping them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Annie/Jeff never become a thing and that's for the best since he's supposed to be playing twice her age.

Ehh.....even to the very last episode they were still teasing it as something that might happen eventually. I always liked them together, right from the debate episode.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Annie/Jeff seemed more like a thing they teased as the series went on because of fans shipping them.

Ehh.....even to the very last episode they were still teasing it as something that might happen eventually. I always liked them together, right from the debate episode.

Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.

Their chemistry is fine but Jeff's a scumball who would be taking advantage of a naive kid who's half his age. Again, if Alison Brie wasn't supposed to be playing an 18 year old I could deal.

I watched six or seven episodes back to back and in the Halloween episode she's absolutely desperate for his approval. The power dynamics in S1 at least are so out of wack there. I'm sure they justify the teasing at least later on as Annie and the show mature but the debate episode just rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited:

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
The last season is really good by the way, I'd argue just as good as the first three so please stick with it even if the gas leak season deters you.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
That sounds like a Winger.

giphy.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's nice knowing where half the memes I use actually come from.

This show's very good. Excellent timing and characterisation. There are moments of pure genius in how events across an episode intertwine and come together at once.

My only issue would be that I'm sick and tired of comedy shows with a "will they, won't they" dynamic. There's nothing really about the Jeff/Britta stuff that I havn't seen done better in almost every other sitcom.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This show's very good. Excellent timing and characterisation. There are moments of pure genius in how events across an episode intertwine and come together at once.

My only issue would be that I'm sick and tired of comedy shows with a "will they, won't they" dynamic. There's nothing really about the Jeff/Britta stuff that I havn't seen done better in almost every other sitcom.

The Jeff/Britta stuff is famously lame but mostly relegated to season 1.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Just watched the S2 Christmas episode in my rewatch. Maybe one of the most brilliant and heartfelt episodes of comedy I've seen.

Every time I've watched it, I'm always imagining the group in the study group acting everything out.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best sitcom ever. I envy people who get to discover it for the first time.

Just watched the S2 Christmas episode in my rewatch. Maybe one of the most brilliant and heartfelt episodes of comedy I've seen.

Every time I've watched it, I'm always imagining the group in the study group acting everything out.
I love that we get a few glimpses of them acting it out in other episodes

Mar 29, 2018
I loved Community when it was on and still love it today. Maybe I should give it a rewatch.

OP, if you're only 10 episodes in, you haven't seen anything yet.

(It's just a shame season 4 is... so bad... They fired the creator/showrunner and then rehired him for seasons 5 & 6. But by that point several cast members had already left or were leaving.)
I went into 4 with expectations through the floor and I honestly thought it was pretty good. A couple of episodes are fantastic, even. It doesn't hit 1s laugh out loud highs or 2-3's metatextual genius or 5-6s clever deconstructions of the genre, but it's a really solid season of a great show imo.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Just throwing my hat in to say that if you fell off or find yourself falling off with Season 4, try to power through or just skip to Season 5. It and Season 6 are a lot better, even though they progressively lose more and more of the original cast. The new characters aren't bad, even if it's a different chemistry.

Just know that the Season 4 line "We finally found a way to make paintball cool again" is arguably the nadir of the show. Once you get there, it can only go up.

The worst part of season 4 is there was a two and a half year build up to the Britta/Troy relationship that gets bungled in S4. Like, the slowest of burns that lost pretty much all good will after a few episodes when they are together. But the break-up episode is one of few good S4 episodes.

Season 4 also is where they finally meet Jeff's father, which also ended up being a lame episode. You can't change the past, but there is a part of me that would want to see what Harmon would have done with it.

Seeing everyone in season one is weird though, Chang is normal enough, Pierce actually gives some good advice, and Britta is smart.

I'm surprised to see that it looks like Chevy is actually trying in the first season.

Oh man, Chevy Chase really did try in season 1. This was a big comeback for him, and I remember it very well because he had done a short run on Chuck season 2 (also when it was good!) the spring before and that was a big deal.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The worst part of season 4 is there was a two and a half year build up to the Britta/Troy relationship that gets bungled in S4. Like, the slowest of burns that lost pretty much all good will after a few episodes when they are together. But the break-up episode is one of few good S4 episodes.

Season 4 also is where they finally meet Jeff's father, which also ended up being a lame episode. You can't change the past, but there is a part of me that would want to see what Harmon would have done with it.

Yep. The Britta/Troy relationship is my biggest problem with S4. I was a huge proponent of that relationship and loved how they slowly built it up but they completely dropped the ball.

But their break-up episode was legitimately great. This is due in part to being written by Jim Rash and Glover's impression of Abed.

Overall, I don't think S4 was a piece of trash or anything. But it's clear that the exodus of writers combined with new showrunners who seemingly did not understand the show led to a season that simply didn't feel the same.

- Right from the premiere, it's clear that the showrunners didn't get it. It felt like they were doing parodies simply to parody something, rather than parodying something that built on the context of the episode plot.

- Changnesia was stupid. Chang is a ridiculous and over-the-top character but every direction they went with him somehow felt natural for the character, while Changnesia felt like the writers saying, "Well, he's wacky. So we need to think of something wacky."

- The "secret origins" episode was completely unnecessary. There was absolutely no reason to have the characters be connected prior to Greendale.

- The finale was legitimately bad. Saying it's the "worst episode of the series" doesn't mean much when almost every episode outside of S4 is good but man, that finale was bad. I believe I remember the writer herself saying that it "tried too hard" and that it was rushed. You can see that. In one episode, they basically ruined both paintball and the Darkest Timeline concepts. I will say that the concept of the episode being in Jeff's mind instead of Abed's was great but the execution just didn't work.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This was a super nice suprise to see popup on the homepage, Now I just need Always Sunny on there as well.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The good stuff in season 4 -

Cooperative Escapism in Familial Relations - I know some comments in here are down on it, but I actually like the handling of Jeff's dad, the revelations Jeff makes about how far that pain went, and how he ties things together with the half-brother.

Herstory of Dance - I find most of this one just funny, especially the entire premise, but there's a moment late in the episode where the look of joy on Britta's face is possibly the single sweetest thing the show ever aired.

Intro to Knots - This feels in tune with the rest of the series' bottle episodes, so it works for me.

Basic Human Anatomy - Yea, Britta and Troy's thing was totally bungled, but they nailed the ending of the relationship in a way that felt properly bittersweet.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about this and I'm not sure that I ever finished the series. I remember the Yahoo Screen player running like absolute shit on my computer. I don't like to be one of those hyperbolic people who can't describe anything as either amazing or shit, but boy was it bad. Countless dropped frames and would get out of sync every few minutes. It was unwatchable and I can put up with a lot.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also in defense of season 4

- Loved the Puppet episode. I think the cold open where everyone is awkwardly quiet was unique, the songs were catchy as hell (with Sara Bareilles writing them AND that being a reference to them using her song "Gravity" in season 2).

- I really liked James Brolin as Jeff's dad. Originally, Dan Harmon wished that Bill Murray would do it (Jeff Winger being a reference to Murray's character John Winger in Stripes). And the speech he had to his dad actually did make me tear up when I watched it. Also thought it was a great touch Jeff's dad pulled a Pierce heart attack in the end.

- The opening lampooning fears that Community would change into something generic with also the in-reference to Dan Harmon wishing Fred Willard was Pierce

- "I ate a sandwich the other day, and suddenly I'm not so cold anymore" from Britta's An-her-chist group before they immediately dismantle will never not be a great line.

- Also the October 19th promo from S4 was FANTASTIC.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

This is the biggest one for me. It just fell flat. I seem to remember Harmon was adamant that Bill Murray should play the father, and if they'd gotten him it could have been something special indeed.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Netflix is plugging this so much it makes me think we might actually get the movie...

The sixth season is pretty decent. It's a bit more budgeted and a little gassed in the jokes department, so it's definitely lower lower than the fifth seasonfor me, but you can feel and appreciate the atmosphere of it being "the last hoorah" for the series. Definitely a good send off for the series if you guys still need some closure.

The final episode (and tag) is astounding, and the earlier "Jesus Wept" bit is one of my favorite gags in the series.

They even do an extended gag about this in a flashback episode.

It's worth it for their conflict during the bar episode (which is, on the whole, fantastic and incredibly dark for the show).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Keith David was great though.

"Now THAT'S a man who knows how to marry his cousin!"
Keith David stole the last season. My only nitpick is that he completely takes over all the scenes he's in lol. I wish they would've had more time to develop his relationship with the group, cause he could've easily replaced the void left by Chevy and Donald.