• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I'm so glad. Sometimes I see some new movies get to netflix and it's frustrating when brazil doesn't get it.
When I read about on twitter I thought it was US only because the show used to be on Amazon Prime here, but I logged on Netflix one of this days and there it was.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I rewatched it earlier this year so I'll pass for now.

But man I love me some Community, so many brilliant episodes and character interactions.

And Annie was of course my tv crush for a long long time.

Oct 29, 2017
Just got to the episode with Ahbed dressed as batman, this show is fucking hilarious, I cant believe I havent seen this yet

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Back in early 2013, I was severely depressed and became obsessed with this show. I watched the first three seasons three times, back to back. I just loved these characters. I watched the following seasons once, as they were airing, but it was just not the same. The seasons were not as better-written, and you could just tell thow show's budget was slashed a ton. They stopped filming outdoors, and the worst is at some point, they just stopped using music. That had a substantial negative effect on the show.

I think you'll notice they stopped filming outdoors after season 1.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I watched like 4 episodes and it didn't click with me still. Is there like a cutoff point, like "if you watch until X and still dont like it, then its not for you" kinda thing?

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
I watched and loved Community when it was coming out. I can't remember how kid-friendly is the show? I want to recommend it to my 12 year old son :)

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favourite sitcom by a mile, i was so happy when i found out they put it on Netflix, the first 3 seasons are unbelievably good.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Been rewatching select episodes these days.

Season 1 is the most perfect season of any comedy I've ever seen imo (there is a weaker beginning, but as soon as it gains momentum, oh boy). I love season 2 almost as much.

Season 3 was a mixed bag, but I overall really like it and has some of the strongest episodes in the entire show. But there are some forgettable ones and the whole "look how meta we are" shtick gets very annoying at times.

Season 4... Well. And 5 and 6 have some great episodes, but it's just such a step down and look so... cheap and lifeless that is depressing, fueled even more by core characters leaving.

But yeah, it's my favourite show despite those caveats, I was obsessed with it. Prime Community warms my heart.

This is pretty much how I see it too. A lot of my friends who watched prefer the later, wackier stuff, but for me the show is never better than the first season. The second is very close, but the more grounded feel of S1 is what I like best.

The further they get from the original cast, the more of a bummer the show is for me. That original cast was just a perfect storm.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd put this up there with some of my favourite sitcoms. Even enjoyed much of the later seasons.

I watched like 4 episodes and it didn't click with me still. Is there like a cutoff point, like "if you watch until X and still dont like it, then its not for you" kinda thing?

It very much has its own style that it never really lets up on so I'd probably say you're not going to find much to enjoy.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I am rewatching it and I find it not enjoying it as much as I thought I did.

I just watched IASIP and rewatched The Office recently too. And I feel like those both blow this out of the water. Feels like every episode is very similar where group has infighting and then makes up because they didn't communicate properly.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I don't care if it's the 'gas leak' year - I really enjoyed the puppet episode.

Glad it's all bingeable!

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
5 and 6 have the problem of nobody keeping Harmon in check so he goes completely overboard without any of the character work that makes 1 to 3 great. And that makes 4 at least enjoyable for me.
First three seasons are great and the final three are thoroughly mediocre. Everybody seems to single out season 4 but it is no worse than the forgettable seasons that followed.

People are sleeping on season 5. Episodes 3, 4, 5, and 9 are some of the best episodes in the entire show. Jonathon Banks is a terrific addition to the cast. Not to mention there's Abed going full Nicholas Cage.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
First three seasons were fantastic. I skipped S4 since Harmon had left, and jumped back onboard when he returned but I don't remember much of those last two seasons. Pretty sure I liked them as is, but also remember this sense of them feeling not quite the same, probably because of the loss of Chevy and Glover and general budget cuts by that point. I should rewatch at some point though.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I was a hardcore Community fan. I'm talking, there from the very start, one of those fans who campaigned to NBC when the show was moved to midseason in Season 3 by sending them moustaches in the mail, writing to them, all of that jazz. I used to hit up Pirate Bay every single Friday morning at University to grab the newest episode (I lived in Australia), preordered the DVDs as soon as I could and campaigned like crazy for a movie even years after the show ended.

Now that I'm out of that bubble.... the show is just meh to great. Seasons 1 and 2 are almost perfect. Season 3 had highs but honestly it marked the moment the show set on a path that turned the characters into cartoonish versions of themselves and really set the show up for what I believe was getting too silly and trying to pass it off as meta. "Flanderisation" is an overused term in criticism these days but Community is especially guilty and they did it so quickly compared to some other shows that do it

Season 4 is well publicised, but I actually think Season 5 was as bad overall. Tonally all over the place and the finale was straight up bad.

Season 6? I liked it more than most. The new characters were okay and they were never gonna hold up to the others but they did well. Shirley wasn't really missed but Pierce and especially Troy were integral to that show.

I'll always cherish the first 3 seasons as some of the best television I've watched and been a part of. While it's probably slipped from my Number 1 to low in my Top 10 in only a matter of a few years, it's still totally worth watching

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
about to finish my full rewatch / watch (1-3 were rewatches)

1-3 are still amazing, 4 is terrible and then 5 is great (not 1-3 great but still very good) which goes to prove that showrunners do indeed matter (a lot), and I'm about to finish 6 and its ok. Its fine, better than 4 thats for sure, but nowhere near 1-3/5.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Were they all in season 1? Season 1 is a lot more grounded than the rest of the series so you might want to try a season 2 or 3 episode. Personal favorites are Remedial Chaos Theory, the paintball episodes (most seasons have one), the Christmas episodes (there's a musical parody one that's fantastic, along with a stop-motion animation one), and the zombie episode.

In Season 1, besides the paintball episode, my favorite episode is Debate 109.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I was a hardcore Community fan. I'm talking, there from the very start, one of those fans who campaigned to NBC when the show was moved to midseason in Season 3 by sending them moustaches in the mail, writing to them, all of that jazz. I used to hit up Pirate Bay every single Friday morning at University to grab the newest episode (I lived in Australia), preordered the DVDs as soon as I could and campaigned like crazy for a movie even years after the show ended.

Now that I'm out of that bubble.... the show is just meh to great. Seasons 1 and 2 are almost perfect. Season 3 had highs but honestly it marked the moment the show set on a path that turned the characters into cartoonish versions of themselves and really set the show up for what I believe was getting too silly and trying to pass it off as meta. "Flanderisation" is an overused term in criticism these days but Community is especially guilty and they did it so quickly compared to some other shows that do it

Season 4 is well publicised, but I actually think Season 5 was as bad overall. Tonally all over the place and the finale was straight up bad.

Season 6? I liked it more than most. The new characters were okay and they were never gonna hold up to the others but they did well. Shirley wasn't really missed but Pierce and especially Troy were integral to that show.

I'll always cherish the first 3 seasons as some of the best television I've watched and been a part of. While it's probably slipped from my Number 1 to low in my Top 10 in only a matter of a few years, it's still totally worth watching

I totally agree with you on the six seasons. I just feel like I enjoyed season 6 a bit more than you, but the rest is spot on. Season 5 is indeed uneven (it starts good enough but once Glover is gone it looses too much). And amen to season 3 being very good but the start of what went wrong with the show.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Yeah, I'd put this up there with some of my favourite sitcoms. Even enjoyed much of the later seasons.

It very much has its own style that it never really lets up on so I'd probably say you're not going to find much to enjoy.

The 7th episode (Day of the Dead party) feels like where everything clicks.
Were they all in season 1? Season 1 is a lot more grounded than the rest of the series so you might want to try a season 2 or 3 episode. Personal favorites are Remedial Chaos Theory, the paintball episodes (most seasons have one), the Christmas episodes (there's a musical parody one that's fantastic, along with a stop-motion animation one), and the zombie episode.

In Season 1, besides the paintball episode, my favorite episode is Debate 109.

I think I will stick with season 1, seems to have a couple of episodes where it can show its potential. I like the office and parks and rec, so the setup of community I get, just the execution so far has not grabbed me, but season 1 of the office was also very different, they found their footing on season 2.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The pillow fight arc > all the paintball ones.

Fight me in PJs.
b3fd4070fea0b600cc698a22be15bdb2.jpg

I may actually agree here. I love all the paintball episodes (awful dream episode in S4 doesn't count) but the jokes in Pillows & Blankets hit way harder.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
As someone who watched up to season 4 and stopped, I've been finally watching the last two seasons and I completely agree that Season 5 has several great episodes and is overall a pretty good season (with some problems, of course).

Season 6, yeah the constant budget cuts finally reached "straw breaking the camel's back" level where it is painfully obvious, and lots of the new Season 5 characters just disappear with very little mention (e.g. Brie Larson just straight up disappears with one "meta" reference on that she's gone), which was disappointing. But I'm still enjoying myself, I just saw the episode where Chang gets "famous" and it was pretty great.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Community is my favorite comedy, full stop. I'm so glad to see new folks diving into it! I've jumped into a few episodes again since it's been on Netflix and gosh the magic is all still there.

For those watching through for the first time, I gotta say two major Season 1 highlights for me were the Halloween episode and the Paintball episode.

Some other of my favorite moments through the series:

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Unpopular opinion but I disliked season 5 more than 4 from what I remember. Season 4 was bland, season 5 seemed to be overcorrecting. Definitely liked season 6 more than both of them though. The series finale, in particular, is perfection and the new cast members did well.

Season 2>Season 1>Season 3>>Season 6>>>>Season 4>Season 5

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pillows, but no sleep
Feathers, but no birds
Pajamas without children
Violence without purpose
I saw mommy kissing Exxon-Mobil

-- Amanda Johnson, poet by choice, lesbian by birth

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best sitcom ever. I envy people who get to discover it for the first time.

I'd say there is, though I have a hard time putting my finger on where that is. The first season is very safe compared to what the show starts to turn into maybe halfway through the first season. I thought the beginning of season one was decent, but I certainly didn't fall in love until later. Stay with it, it's absolutely worth it.

Oct 30, 2017
Watched it when it got aired on CC in Netberlands.. amazing episodes like the one with the pillow fortresses and the videogame.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I just remembered in the first season they did some periphery things such as actual episodes of Abed's "The Community College Chronicles" they they put online but didn't actually air on TV.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
It's the best sitcom ever. I envy people who get to discover it for the first time.

I'd say there is, though I have a hard time putting my finger on where that is. The first season is very safe compared to what the show starts to turn into maybe halfway through the first season. I thought the beginning of season one was decent, but I certainly didn't fall in love until later. Stay with it, it's absolutely worth it.
I'm rewatching it now for the third time and I think it's somewhere between episode 7 and 10 if the first season. The Halloween episode, debate episode and Christmas episode is really where the characters found their footing. Jeff, Britta, Troy and Annie all grew alot over those 10 episodes and you really start to see how they mesh as a group, and that's where the show its best side.

Ok, I really don't know how to take Pierce.

I'd laugh, but it all his off-color remarks seems a bit too close to Chase's real life persona, so it feels...too real to laugh.

Especially in light of his actual comments on set.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Should one stop once you hit season 4? Watched all of the first 3 but momentum died during 4.

The showrunner was fired after the third season, which explains the drop in quality. He's back for season five and six, and while they're more divisive than the three first seasons, I love those latter seasons too. Just skip the fourth season entirely. It's just bad.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Only ever saw first three seasons, but stoked to see them on Netflix.

Starting from the beginning again and so happy to have this lined up for isolation Easter.

Nov 2, 2018
Should one stop once you hit season 4? Watched all of the first 3 but momentum died during 4.

No don't stop. Season 4 is very weak in terms of plot and character development but minute to minute there is still a lot of funny jokes and things really do pick up once it's over.

5 is a return to regular form (not peak) and 6 because of the nature of the changing cast and show structure forces the show to try some new ideas and genuinely has some of my favourite episodes.

John Oliver comes back in 5 to shore up the cast. New characters include Hickey, Elroy and Frankie who are all funnier and more interesting than Shirley and Pierce in my opinion. Elroy quickly becomes one of my favourite characters and I'd be sad if the movie didn't have him.

In short stick with it, there's a lot of fun to be had in 5 and 6 and the fact that they openly acknowledge how convoluted the show is getting right up to the finale (having a plot reason why season 4 is weird) helps smooth over the bumps in my opinion.

Love Community, needs a real ending with a movie though. Season 6 is very much written as the end of the TV show rather than the end of these characters.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It seems the show cracked the top 10 watched in Netflix around the world for a day. Pretty good for an old TV show. Wonder if the numbers will be high enough for Netflix to throw money at it for a movie. It seems most of the main cast would be willing to return besides Chevy Chase and maybe Donald Glover. I'm also curious if they would be able to get John Oliver back or the 3 main character replacements from season 5 and 6.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Just throwing my hat in to say that if you fell off or find yourself falling off with Season 4, try to power through or just skip to Season 5. It and Season 6 are a lot better, even though they progressively lose more and more of the original cast. The new characters aren't bad, even if it's a different chemistry.

Just know that the Season 4 line "We finally found a way to make paintball cool again" is arguably the nadir of the show. Once you get there, it can only go up.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the first 3 seasons during its original run and moments after that but I tried rewatching them and I don't find them as good as I did then. I can watch old Seinfeld and Always Sunny and still laugh but rewatching Community hasn't been as funny. If you haven't seen it though I totally recommend it because I still think it's great the first time seeing it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can laugh at me all you want, I've seen enough movies to know that popping the back of a raft makes it go faster

OP
OP
edo_kid

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy the fight / end semester episode was so good lol

'sup 'sup 'sup 'sup 'SUP 'SUP 'SUP 'SUP

Shirt's off boys * martial arts jumps *

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has me going through Community clips on youtube (including the new unofficial Community YT channel which has way more clips from the episodes including DVD special features)

Do you guys remember that Hilary Duff was on this show? Community had so many guest stars I would never imagine would be on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
edo_kid

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has me going through Community clips on youtube (including the new Community YT channel which has way more clips from the episodes including DVD special features)

Do you guys remember that Hilary Duff was on this show? Community had so many guest stars I would never imagine would be on here.

Jack Black was a temporary member of study group until he left for Owen Wilson study group lol