• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
i went from 2.5 to 2.4.

The biggest thing that's been bugging me and only shows up in text is the far left of my left eye gets blurry. We'll see if this fixes it

You are simply noticingfoveated image rendering. Virtual reality tech using it focuses its best rendering on the central image, allowing peripheral graphics to downgrade in the process. Doing so saves power for whatever the software is trying to do.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are simply noticingfoveated image rendering. Virtual reality tech using it focuses its best rendering on the central image, allowing peripheral graphics to downgrade in the process. Doing so saves power for whatever the software is trying to do.
is it normal it shows up more in my left eye than right?

i usually doesn't affect games but videos it's a bit distracting (nothing too bad)

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Can't wait to play The Inpatient next week, it's looking very creepy. It will be very cool to see and explore the Blackwood Sanatorium when it was in working condition (unlike Until Dawn where it was abandoned) and see it's downfall. I'm not looking forward to meeting a Wendigo face to face though.

I wonder if it turns out that we play one of the survivors from the mining disaster and we eventually turn into a Wendigo...... at least in one of the endings

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play The Inpatient next week, it's looking very creepy. It will be very cool to see and explore the Blackwood Sanatorium when it was in working condition (unlike Until Dawn where it was abandoned) and see it's downfall. I'm not looking forward to meeting a Wendigo face to face though.

I wonder if it turns out that we play one of the survivors from the mining disaster and we eventually turn into a Wendigo...... at least in one of the endings
what kinda of game is this?

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Superhot VR on the last day of the January sale:

What an amazing game! Needs a reasonable amount of room, but it's got the best feeling of presence of any PSVR game I've played so far. Awesome.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My PSVR camera doesn't like it when I'm sitting comfortably on my couch and asks me to sit forward at the edge. Is this something that can be adjusted via some kind of recalibration or do I have to just physically move the camera forward a foot?

Edit: I saw online that the camera can only catch up to 9.5ft and sitting back puts me at 9ft. Ended up just moving my TV / camera forward a bit and it seems good unless I turn my head.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My PSVR camera doesn't like it when I'm sitting comfortably on my couch and asks me to sit forward at the edge. Is this something that can be adjusted via some kind of recalibration or do I have to just physically move the camera forward a foot?

Likely out of the tracking area so wil have to move the camera. Don't restrict the camera by the placement of your tv though, just get a bit creative of its placement in your room. Ideally somewhere that you can quickly move it to suit a variety of different playstyles.

Superhot and games with lots of movement are better when the camera is high up facing downwards slightly so it has a large area of view. Games that use the DS4 are better with a lower position due to the angle of the light.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Early word on The Inpatient seems pretty mixed from people who've got it early. Saw some playthroughs on YouTube that barely ran 2 hours and most of it seems pretty on-rails. Still looking forward it, but I sure as hell won't be paying full price for it.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Early word on The Inpatient seems pretty mixed from people who've got it early. Saw some playthroughs on YouTube that barely ran 2 hours and most of it seems pretty on-rails. Still looking forward it, but I sure as hell won't be paying full price for it.
That's disappointing to hear. I literally went and placed a preorder for a physical copy just last night.

I kind of expected it to be on-rails though, I mean it kind of needs to be with it having a specific narrative and a character who's basically an invalid.

Oct 25, 2017
Was the 2 hour run time and on-rails-ness the only negatives?
Because if the story/atmosphere are good, those aren't necessarily negatives to me.

If it's boring, not scary and on-rails, then that's gonna suck.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does The Inpatient encourage multiple playthroughs like Until Dawn did too? If a run through is only a couple hours but things can change each time, that would be okay with me too.

Oct 29, 2017
Finally played Skyrim VR. Put a couple hours into it with the Move controllers. What a magical, fun experience. Didn't take long to get used to the Moves, and I immediately set it on smooth turning, no movement filter, and press move button to move forward.

Just incredible. From the 3D menus, to your weapons casting a shadow exactly to your precise movements. I am in awe.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I might be remembering wrong but was there a post somewhere in this thread with these setup tips and tricks to get the best experience?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Cool looking rhytm game Beat Saber also coming for PSVR :)

opkM8Pq.png

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Did PSVR get some sort of enhancement with any recent system update? I played Raw Data, Gran Turismo Sport and Dirt Rally during the weekend after a few months hiatus and I swear my tracking is suddenly flawless even though I didn't change anything in my room, lighting or camera setup. I used to get very slight headset wobble and accumulating drift on my moves (and also on the headset in cinema mode) but suddenly my experience is 100% perfect.

I got an HP Windows Mixed Reality headset last week precisely because I wanted to see what VR with better tracking would be like, and now it turns out that my PSVR setup suddenly decided to track as well as WMR does. It's like it got jealous or something.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Receiving The inpatient today. I'll be streaming it tonight. If anyone wants to watch it. Just follow me and check for the notification. I can't promise a specific time for now.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
3rd post in a row.. but I just want to say that The Inpatient was kind underwhelming. Don't know if a different path would have been better.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Played The Inpatient for about 45 minutes and it seems ok. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The movement in the game is a real chore though. Looking at impressions it seems it's about 2-3 hours so I guess I'll finish it tomorrow morning.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm still looking forward to The Inpatient tbh. I'm sure I will get enough out of it to enjoy. I loved Until Dawn, so getting to see Blackwood Sanatorium in VR should be pretty cool and the jump scares should be a good laugh, especially watching my GF and friends have a go. :)

I also got the cheaper physical version, so it's not like I payed full price either.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not sure if already posted, but here's all my coverage of The Inpatient:

The Inpatient's strong opening is undone by a rushed finale, and while the various plot permutations add replayability, they come at the cost of a fulfilling narrative. As a PlayStation VR experience, this is a fine-looking spook-'em-up with some neat innovations that help create a tactile world, but the story is far too fragmented and, frankly, flat to do justice to the universe it's inspired by.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/the_inpatient

Despite the low score, I actually think there's things to like about this. The production values are very high for PSVR, and I didn't mind the Move controls. I also like the way the world feels quite tactile. The story doesn't come together at all, though.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I will wait for a sale on The Inpatient, 40€ is a bit too much considering the length of the game. Even if it has replay value, that price is a tough sale with the current backlog I have, and I'm still playing Skyrim VR (around 100 hours now, for 'only' 70€) and Monster Hunter World on the way to me. While I would love to support games with high production values with a day 1 purchase, I just can't justify it for The Inpatient.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not sure if already posted, but here's all my coverage of The Inpatient:

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/the_inpatient

Despite the low score, I actually think there's things to like about this. The production values are very high for PSVR, and I didn't mind the Move controls. I also like the way the world feels quite tactile. The story doesn't come together at all, though.

Pretty much lines up with my experience. Except the move part. But maybe I was sitting too close to the tv. I was streaming amd was limited by my whole setup.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Gamesradar The Inpatient Review - 3.5/5

http://www.gamesradar.com/the-inpatient-review/

Utterly Brilliant, Terryfingly So.

it's actually a game that benefits from multiple playthroughs. In fact, I absolutely urge you to play it through at least twice. Immediately after finishing it the first time around, I started it all over again, taking different pathways, choosing different dialogue options, and making sure to find as many memory triggers as possible. It's remarkable just how different my experiences were between playthroughs, and how big an impact a seemingly mundane choice makes, with some scenarios playing out as starkly contrasting as night and day. I won't ruin exactly what happens, as it's worth discovering the twists, turns and scares for yourself. The second playthrough made all my concerns from the first melt away

It's hard to know how to recommend The Inpatient. On the one hand, it's one of the most creative horror games in terms of (eventual) story revelations and gameplay mechanics. But on the other, it requires plenty of player patience to get the best out of it. It's 100% worth the effort once you realise how the game works and what it's trying to achieve, even if the results of your initial playthrough inevitably feel a little underwhelming.

Seems like it's decent if you put the time in and play it through a few times, if you can look past it's faults.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation aim should have had LEDs along the side or another ping pong ball on the back to help anchor it. Aiming down sights only for it to slowly drift to the right as you're holding it steady is annoying

Presumably no easy way to avoid as the bulb is only good for positional movement, doesn't help with rotation

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Sucks to hear that Inpatient is by-and-large underwhelming. I was looking forward to picking it up on my way home from work. It sounds like I should pass and wait for a steep discount.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sucks to hear that Inpatient is by-and-large underwhelming. I was looking forward to picking it up on my way home from work. It sounds like I should pass and wait for a steep discount.
There's something good there. It's just undermined by long parts of the game being slow and uneventful. Considering how short it is, that's kind of a problem.

valeu

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished The Inpatient. Off the bat, The Inpatient has the best graphics of any PSVR game. The environments, lighting and character models are fantastic and give me hope that in the future we'll have amazing VR movies and TV series that we, the gamer / viewer actually get to be in. And that's what The Inpatient is…..you're a character in a horror movie for (I clocked in at two and a half hours). My main problem with The Inpatient is that it's not a good horror movie. Ok, I will admit that I was scared and kept my eyes squinted out of fear of jumpscares throughout much of the game. But the story, pacing, sense of tension and action are frankly, not good. This would be a movie that you'd really be bored watching at 2am on a saturday night. The Inpatient has two basic types of gameplay - either 1) you're stuck, helpless, in an environment and can't do anything but watch what happens, similar to the Resident Evil 7 quasi demo, Kitchen, or 2) you can walk very slowly, too slowly (probably to keep the graphics looking at that quality level) from point A to point B. This is your main interaction with the movie you're in. I played with a DS4 and strangely you can walk forward and turn (slowly) and can just back up one step. You can't walk backwards. You have to do a 180 quick turn. There are glowing things that you can stare at which trigger flashbacks. And occasionally you can awkwardly open a door or hit an elevator button but that's it. I've read many complaints about the "game time". To be honest I wouldn't want it to be longer because, like I said, it's just not a well-written story. Had the story and characters been of the calibur of Until Dawn, ok, I would have wanted it longer.

To sum up, because it's in VR, moreso than Until Dawn, The Inpatient really feels like being in a movie. It's quite a cool experiment. Unfortunately, it's not a good movie.

Graphics: 10 Gameplay: 4 Story: 5 Overall: 6 / 10

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just finished The Inpatient. Off the bat, The Inpatient has the best graphics of any PSVR game. The environments, lighting and character models are fantastic and give me hope that in the future we'll have amazing VR movies and TV series that we, the gamer / viewer actually get to be in. And that's what The Inpatient is…..you're a character in a horror movie for (I clocked in at two and a half hours). My main problem with The Inpatient is that it's not a good horror movie. Ok, I will admit that I was scared and kept my eyes squinted out of fear of jumpscares throughout much of the game. But the story, pacing, sense of tension and action are frankly, not good. This would be a movie that you'd really be bored watching at 2am on a saturday night. The Inpatient has two basic types of gameplay - either 1) you're stuck, helpless, in an environment and can't do anything but watch what happens, similar to the Resident Evil 7 quasi demo, Kitchen, or 2) you can walk very slowly, too slowly (probably to keep the graphics looking at that quality level) from point A to point B. This is your main interaction with the movie you're in. I played with a DS4 and strangely you can walk forward and turn (slowly) and can just back up one step. You can't walk backwards. You have to do a 180 quick turn. There are glowing things that you can stare at which trigger flashbacks. And occasionally you can awkwardly open a door or hit an elevator button but that's it. I've read many complaints about the "game time". To be honest I wouldn't want it to be longer because, like I said, it's just not a well-written story. Had the story and characters been of the calibur of Until Dawn, ok, I would have wanted it longer.

To sum up, because it's in VR, moreso than Until Dawn, The Inpatient really feels like being in a movie. It's quite a cool experiment. Unfortunately, it's not a good movie.

Graphics: 10 Gameplay: 4 Story: 5 Overall: 6 / 10

Yup, pretty much.

What ending did you get?

I became a wendigo and chose to stay at the end, and I got the little scene where I chased the Washington sisters in 2014.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
There's something good there. It's just undermined by long parts of the game being slow and uneventful. Considering how short it is, that's kind of a problem.
Hmm... Well, I did pay $30 for The Invisible Hours and that game's graphics aren't great, the story is 100% linear with no branching, and from what I played (I still haven't finished it), it was kind of boring to boot. I'll give Inpatient a shot.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, pretty much.

What ending did you get?

I became a wendigo and chose to stay at the end, and I got the little scene where I chased the Washington sisters in 2014.

I ended up in a institute because I wanted to expose the police for the killings.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... Well, I did pay $30 for The Invisible Hours and that game's graphics aren't great, the story is 100% linear with no branching, and from what I played (I still haven't finished it), it was kind of boring to boot. I'll give Inpatient a shot.

While I was disappointed with the game. I would still say give it a shot as others have mentioned there was something special there that never materialized.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think until dawn could be adapted for VR? Obviously you'd need to tone down the graphics but could the gameplay be adapted to a VR POV?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Do you think until dawn could be adapted for VR? Obviously you'd need to tone down the graphics but could the gameplay be adapted to a VR POV?
I don't think you could convert it to first person without an ungodly amount of work. Maybe you could keep the original camera view and just have it in VR, and switch to flat-o-vision for cutscenes like RE7 does, but I don't think it'd be worth it. It's a horror movie and it wouldn't feel like a movie if you were inside it.