• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going anywhere in Luzon, bring a lot of raincoats. You'll need it.
This time it would just be a short visit, so I would stay in Manila, and maybe spent a weekend in Ilocos. When does the rainy season end, isn't it sometime in October/November?

Nov 7, 2017
Finally coming home after 20 plus years omg

So for 2 weeks is 3 places (El Nido, Cebu, Siargao) too ambitious?

I'm thinking I might just do El Nido and Siargao and skip Cebu?
Am I making a big mistake???

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Catriona Gray won Miss Universe 2018, congratulations!

Can't wait to see the cavalcade and celebration back home in Pinas when she comes home today.

gray9_10fpskqc1m.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a big chunk of our community either didn't come over to Era, or found other places to hang out.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really thinking of going back to the Philippines again, for just two weeks. I guess I could buy a sim card with data in the airport when arriving, and then ask for a GRAB vehicle taking me to my place.

But what is the easiest way to get around Manila when I'm on my own? Do I just book a GRAB vehicle everytime I wanna go out? I just wanna go to MoA, maybe a SM and the green canals I've seen on pictures. That's probably it.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really thinking of going back to the Philippines again, for just two weeks. I guess I could buy a sim card with data in the airport when arriving, and then ask for a GRAB vehicle taking me to my place.

But what is the easiest way to get around Manila when I'm on my own? Do I just book a GRAB vehicle everytime I wanna go out? I just wanna go to MoA, maybe a SM and the green canals I've seen on pictures. That's probably it.

I used Uber a LOT when I was back. But that ain't an option anymore. So Grab seems to be your next best option before regular taxis and other forms of public transit. I took it once and it was fine.

But I haven't been back in a couple of years, so there may be other options I'm not aware of.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
What can I even do if I'm in Manila on my own for two weeks? Anyone would want to meet up?

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked for the "It's more fun in the Philippines" slogan to be removed again, since I feel it's inappropriate with the current political landscape, drug war and extra-judicial killings going on in the country. Has asked for it to just be named the Filipino Era OT temporarily until we find something better for the title.

In other more comic book news, Marvel Comics has revealed their brand new Filipina superheroine today, called Wave, who will debut in the War of the Realms series this May.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017

I read a local news story, and then found that NY Times piece.

I knew about the South being occupied by dangerous people, but I hadn't realized that ISIS themselves had actually grown there as well.
I'm gonna read the piece tonight in my bed, but I'm overwhelmed by frustration and sadness by this entire situation.

I read Duterte had also been out saying that "we've won" against them, and when ISIS take responsibility he denounces it without having anyone look into the bombings.

I don't have faith in Duterte at all, but I hope they can get this situation under control, and quick.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So last Fall Netflix announced some 17 original anime shows, and one of them is based on the Trese graphic novels. It's basically a murder mystery mixed with magic and lots of Philippine mythology. So I went digging and found out there's been a collected version in the US before but it's sold out on Amazon, and I can only find it in shops in the Philippines. But then I came across their Indiegogo campaign which has already been successful.

Only the first issue is available in English and with brand new and updated artwork for all 32 pages. You can claim a .PDF file of the graphic novel for $2, or buy a printed version that comes with an autograph. They asked for around $4,000 but is already at almost $10,000.

Welcome to the underside of Metro Manila, where the gods and monsters of Philippine mythology are the prime suspects of the strangest occult cases in the city. When crime takes a turn for the weird, the police call supernatural investigator Alexandra Trese.

I just claimed the PDF version for myself, and is still awaiting my order. I thought of checking it out, and if it's any cool, I might jump for a physical version later on.

And if you're not interested in the source material, there'll always be the Netflix adaptation coming out in 2020.

tempgfjur.jpg

Last edited:

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Hello everyone!

Last time I was in the Philippines was 20 years ago, and my uncle keeps asking if I plan on visiting again. I actually just might do that.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Born in PI, came to US when I was 4, have been here since. Hello all!

Also, am I being "too filipino" if I mention that my Dad's cousin's daughter just won Idol Philippines?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Born in PI, came to US when I was 4, have been here since. Hello all!

Also, am I being "too filipino" if I mention that my Dad's cousin's daughter just won Idol Philippines?

No. Its not too bad. Being too Filipino is me name dropping my cousin Princess Love as well.. My cousin. Which she is.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Some fresh made kinilaw would be boss right now. Just had late lunch of 4 day old sinigang. Theres no veggies left and barely any pork. The taro made the subao all super thick... I think its done. But we just moved and we're stretching the grocery bills for a while.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, would you like some Adobo or perhaps some Kinilaw? :}
Do you have Langanesa? That's my favorite dish.

Guys, remember to subscribe so we can build up a somewhat active sub-community like we had back at the old place. Dunno where everyone went (or if they stayed).

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I bought a bunch of sinigang mix and JFC Bulalo instant noodles when I was visiting my fam in Chicago to bring back to the UK last week. It's freakin sparse up north in the GB for Filipino goodness. Anyone know any good hotspots that are not in London?

Also, the new Jo Koy special on Netflix is dope.

My fiancee was dying because I taught her the exact same way to cook rice. xD

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I bought a bunch of sinigang mix and JFC Bulalo instant noodles when I was visiting my fam in Chicago to bring back to the UK last week. It's freakin sparse up north in the GB for Filipino goodness. Anyone know any good hotspots that are not in London?

lmaooooooo my girlfriend taught me that. changed my life

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's an ancient Filipino secret to cook the perfect rice. Passed down from generations.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I do the finger thing. I don't rinse more than once because I'm lazy.

Oct 26, 2017

I ain't Filipino but my wife is and that's how everyone in her family cooks rice.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao just watched the Jo Koy video and that's how I was teacher to cook rice as well.

Yooooo, that Jo Koy video is hilarious! Accurate af.

Been listening to some Gloc-9 lately; Norem is my jam right now:

Is there a translation of the lyrics for this one? Would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This got me good. I watched both his specials in one sitting, and I was dead by the time it was over.

Shit about his mom was too real for me, too. Like DAMN.

His mom stories are the best. I feel like every Filipino can relate to everything about his mom.

Oct 30, 2017
Ow cool didn't know there was a Filipino community on here. And Marvel fans are quite visible! Nice. Is everyone here ex-pats or are there locals?

amprainy

May 31, 2019
Hello all! This is a nice community. I am filipino myself but not a local. I miss the Philippines though and want to go visit again someday :)

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
He certainly makes me contemplate on renouncing my Filipino citizenship (currently a dual US-Filipino citizen); worst part is, my parents support him just because he combated our drug epidemic at the expense of human decency.
most parent/old people i know supports him.
They eat up and believe whatever he says.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
He certainly makes me contemplate on renouncing my Filipino citizenship (currently a dual US-Filipino citizen); worst part is, my parents support him just because he combated our drug epidemic at the expense of human decency.
Isn't the drug epidemic still a huge problem though? It's my impression he didn't solve much when it comes to this issue and even admitted he couldn't.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Sup y'all. Here in Toronto as well. Born in Pasay a few months after EDSA 1 during a literal typhoon but moved here to the land of Poutine in 88.

Really feel for the rest of my extended fam back home having to deal with everything going on there since that moron got elected. Happily/fortunately, pretty much all of my fam here and in the states don't support that bullshit.