• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
something something Gamers Rise Up.
Sad thing is for NHL/UFC the devs clearly care, but due to lack of budget and yearly releases there is basically nothing they can do.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Gamers can be such negative pieces of shit as far as consumers go. I look at other live Sports as comparable to the kind of fans that populate their enthusiast community. It's gross, pathetic, and beyond unacceptable. People do it on message boards as well, here even, but to a lesser, tamer extent but still toxic negativity. This is a hobby I don't understand this kind of behavior for an opt-in luxury of a hobby. So embarrassing.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I can confirm from first-hand experience that hate messages are common for community managers. It really, really sucks.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hope one day we get AI so good to do harassment filter perfectly, because no human being deserves to go through that, but is also clear that harassment will never stop.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Require then to link their game account. Block them from your games forever.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it really sucks. This portion of the gaming community has such a loud voice. I would never take a job in PR for a gaming company. Seems like all you deal with are entitled consumers (compared to other industries).

And what these people don't realize (aside from how hurtful and insane they are - I truly believe they would never say t his in person) is that there are genuine complaints about those franchises that get tossed aside because of the shit they spew.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I like to thing that they're kids being edgy, but chances are a ton of them are actual adults, at least physically.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is fucking awful. Can't even imagine having a real name and face on display for a community and how uneasy that must feel. I'm involved with community management but fortunately it's nameless and faceless, but that still doesn't stop the anxiety from abuse and hate.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
These messages are absolutely insane. All because the guy's a CM for some sports games. What the hell.

It is not just sports games. Blizzard (and yeah there are tons of issues right now on all fronts of their IP) developers and CM are being trashed and talked to in the same virulent manner. They also cannibalize/turn on their fellow Blizzard game playing peers for saying or piping in to say "I'm having fun. The game has issues but I overall enjoy my time and see value for myself". It's just as bad and just as unnecessary. I believe you don't have to be mean spirited and vindictive to write up constructive good faith pleas for change. Such ineffectual hateful losers.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what actually happens with these "workplace safety reports":

Anyways, I now have to file more workplace safety reports because of this. Apologies for the vent, but things need to change or else everyone's going to lose out on giving feedback because no one's going to want to constantly take the abuse that comes with the job.

Do companies evaluate these things and then take legal action?

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
How dumb do you have to be to think that a community manager has anything to do with the quality of a game and fixing glitches?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something EA-related being hated upon? Huh. Imagine the comments being thrown towards Sergey of Epic's store.
This is unacceptable, btw. People who play games seriously need to cool down or something, some of the stuff I've read in this forum is borderline psychotic.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sigh, walk away, move on with your life. That's pretty much the only thing that helps with this crap.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Anyone know what actually happens with these "workplace safety reports":

Do companies evaluate these things and then take legal action?

In at least one case I know of, people had to work with US law enforcement, because one person was threatened that the next time they are in LA to visit DICE LA, the DICE LA offices would be under serious danger. I'm putting things mildly here, as I can't go into more details.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, I've always noticed how it's rare for someone to stick around in a CM position for more than 1 game's release cycle, even if they still stay with the same developer in another capacity on future projects.

Only so much you can put up with.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
In at least one case I know of, people had to work with US law enforcement, because one person was threatened that the next time they are in LA to visit DICE LA, the DICE LA offices would be under serious danger. I'm putting things mildly here, as I can't go into more details.

Wow... O.o

That sounds like a pretty extreme case.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

That's horrendous. The gaming community has to start policing ourselves more and shutting down unstable characters like this. It shouldn't just be the responsibility of devs or other employees to have to deal with this kind of bullshit without community support. A lot of big Gaming YouTubers encourage this type of behavior because it gets dem those clicks (populism in gaming) and they need to be called out for not stewarding their fans towards sanity and reasonable/mature ways to express their displeasure be it unsavory business move or a disappointing release. Anyone who makes death threats about games shouldn't be considered a gamer so much as someone deserving of being 5150'd at the least.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Tyler's a good dude, worked his way up through the ranks to get this gig. It's fucking bullshit the way he's treated. I know the tools on Reddit freaked out at him over something menial too, and he had to stop going on there for a while.

OP
OP
Captain of Outer Space

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Ya, I've always noticed how it's rare for someone to stick around in a CM position for more than 1 game's release cycle, even if they still stay with the same developer in another capacity on future projects.

Only so much you can put up with.
Yeah, it reminds me about articles I've read about the real people that Youtube and others hire to do manual moderating of some of the extreme content that gets flagged or reported to them. The mental toll it takes on them forces YT to take them off maybe six months later at best and I imagine being CM at a big company is comparably awful when it gets this personal, versus just comments to company social media accounts.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, walk away, move on with your life. That's pretty much the only thing that helps with this crap.
Well, he even addresses that with his talk of thick skin not even helping. Then there's the matter of people calling his work and personal cell number.

I cancelled my Twitter account over the company's failure to respond and act on this vile behavior that targets anyone, not just in the video game industry. Whatever they're doing, and from the outside it doesn't seem like much, is clearly not addressing the matter.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Feel terrible for him, let alone many, many other people in CM and CS roles for game companies. The vitriol they put up with daily is unacceptable.