• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
no thank you unless it's been cooking in the oven for a while. last week's parks and rec reunion episode is (imo) not something community needs to stoop to. i don't want rehashed catchphrases without substance.

I understand that perspective, but right now what I'm looking for is familiar faces telling me everything will be okay. I know that the Parks and Rec reunion didn't have a real plot and was just a series of joke callbacks, and I think it's incredible. I loved every single one of those callbacks and it was reassuring to see those characters going through the same thing we are while they made those callbacks.

Give me a full 20 minute episode of Troy and Abed in the Morning and I'll be ecstatic

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Because Donald hasn't been apart of any community reunion or even talked about the show (but still hangs out with the cast) so this was a pretty big shock. Lockdown seems to have given him some time

In comparison its not unexpected that chevy was not invited seeing as how he had a big falling out with Dan harmon, Racist stuff on set and towards donald etc.

it's a shame, his character was amazing. Just annoying he had to be a dick and a hassle in the later behind the scenes stuff
There was just no way of anticipating that Chevy Chase would be unpleasant on the set of a project.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that perspective, but right now what I'm looking for is familiar faces telling me everything will be okay. I know that the Parks and Rec reunion didn't have a real plot and was just a series of joke callbacks, and I think it's incredible. I loved every single one of those callbacks and it was reassuring to see those characters going through the same thing we are while they made those callbacks.

Give me a full 20 minute episode of Troy and Abed in the Morning and I'll be ecstatic

The thing is unlike Parks and Rec, Community is some day trying to get a movie done and so there's canon to adhere to. They don't want to have to suddenly think of where these characters are 4 years after the finale because when they write the movie they'll be beholden to this "special episode" and it would take the emotional wind out of everyone seeing each other in-universe again for the movie.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is unlike Parks and Rec, Community is some day trying to get a movie done and so there's canon to adhere to. They don't want to have to suddenly think of where these characters are 4 years after the finale because when they write the movie they'll be beholden to this "special episode" and it would take the emotional wind out of everyone seeing each other in-universe again for the movie.

I just assumed the movie thing was a long running joke, honestly. If it's really in the works then I guess I get it. I still think it's easy to disregard it and say it's not canon. I mean the show had six alternate realities. Just say it's in one of those, or another previously unseen alternate reality

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just assumed the movie thing was a long running joke, honestly. If it's really in the works then I guess I get it. I still think it's easy to disregard it and say it's not canon. I mean the show had six alternate realities. Just say it's in one of those, or another previously unseen alternate reality

They pretty much abandoned the alternate reality gags after Season 4 ran it into the ground. It's been "relatively" grounded ever since. It'd be pretty difficult not to acknowledge. Plus even if it's non-canon, for fans that watch this and then watch the supposed movie in the future it'll be retreading old ground that I'm sure the writers don't want to have to worry about. Something as big as Abed reunited with Troy is not something that needs to be seen over Zoom call lol

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There was just no way of anticipating that Chevy Chase would be unpleasant on the set of a project.

Seriously. It is rare that people will actually talk shit about huge stars in Hollywood. Usually their dickishness is written off as part of them be an eccentric artist.

Chevy is the rare case where everyone is just like "yeah, that dude is a fucking ass hole."

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. It is rare that people will actually talk shit about huge stars in Hollywood. Usually their dickishness is written off ass part of them be an eccentric artist.

Chevy is the rare case where everyone is just like "yeah, that dude is a fucking ass hole."

Yeah it's wild. Maybe you know this, but the role of Pierce going to Chevy Chase was actually imparted by NBC who wanted more star power behind the show. Originally Harmon wanted Fred Willard to play Pierce, which is why in Season 4 he plays Pierce in Abed's fantasy.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
No Chevy?

tumblr_m4at9hnaTk1qhwd9vo1_500_zps678ea6f3.gif

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say they probably picked a Season 5 episode specifically because it meant they wouldn't need Chevy.

Exciting news in any case, stoked they managed to get Donald involved.
i imagine they picked the episode that would play best for the format (one location, involves everyone sitting still) and the not having chevy was more of a bonus

Hypertrooper

Oct 28, 2017
If Donald says he is interested to do a movie, then it will equal to a movie announcement. I hope, he does. We have been waiting for a few years and I cannot imagine we will ever get a movie if it is not announced this year. Community just arose to new highs through the addition on Netflix and it will not reach such a peak of attention anymore for the next few years. I mean the casts get older, too.

OP
OP
TheBaldwin

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
If Donald says he is interested to do a movie, then it will equal to a movie announcement. I hope, he does. We have been waiting for a few years and I cannot imagine we will ever get a movie if it is not announced this year. Community just arose to new highs through the addition on Netflix and it will not reach such a peak of attention anymore for the next few years. I mean the casts get older, too.

At the reunion panel they had a few weeks ago dan harmon actually asked 'what would it take for a movie to get made' and everyone pretty much said that they need dan tostart writing it. That was two months ago so unless they were hiding something it doesnt look like anything has been written so far for it. But i would love for it to be announced and that donald would return.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Got all excited until I saw that it was a season 5 episode. That whole season was so mediocre IMO.

Nov 2, 2018
Just a friendly reminder that Chevy doesn't like the show, doesn't understand the show, doesn't think the show is funny and was a nightmare to work with.

...plus Elroy was funnier

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Walton Goggin's role will be officially played by...PEDRO PASCAL.

d1ajjhhdkkx41.jpg

Just a friendly reminder that Chevy doesn't like the show, doesn't understand the show, doesn't think the show is funny and was a nightmare to work with.

...plus Elroy was funnier

Chevy has been promoting the show on his instagram since he got on Netflix though. Could be an agent thing, but I think he did for the most part like the cast and consider them his friends...it's just that he has a low bar for friendship.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's a shame they never put this on Netflix during its original run. I remember I started watching the show when I accidentally recorded the Dungeons and Dragons episode on my DVR and loved it, but then attempting to get season 1 and the rest of season 2 was difficult because of how stupidly it was priced, which remained a constant through the rest of its run. That horrible pricing and the lack of streaming options made the show impossible to recommend to people.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame they never put this on Netflix during its original run. I remember I started watching the show when I accidentally recorded the Dungeons and Dragons episode on my DVR and loved it, but then attempting to get season 1 and the rest of season 2 was difficult because of how stupidly it was priced, which remained a constant through the rest of its run. That horrible pricing and the lack of streaming options made the show impossible to recommend to people.

I might be mis-remembering but that was back when Hulu had a Free tier, so people could've watched the episodes on Hulu.

Unrelated:

The thing that's a trip to me is not only is the cast really great but even behind the scenes so many people worked on the show to make it special.

Directors: Tristam Shapiro. The Russo Brothers. Jim Rash. Richard Ayoade. Bobcat Goldthwait. Justin Lin. Jay Chandrasekhar.
Writers: Megan Ganz. Chris McKenna. Jim Rash (again). Emily Cutler. Neil Goldman. Andrew Guest. Karey Dornetto.

Community as a show was just a crazy storm of creative and talented people.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I might be mis-remembering but that was back when Hulu had a Free tier, so people could've watched the episodes on Hulu.

Unrelated:

The thing that's a trip to me is not only is the cast really great but even behind the scenes so many people worked on the show to make it special.

Directors: Tristam Shapiro. The Russo Brothers. Jim Rash. Richard Ayoade. Bobcat Goldthwait. Justin Lin. Jay Chandrasekhar.
Writers: Megan Ganz. Chris McKenna. Jim Rash (again). Emily Cutler. Neil Goldman. Andrew Guest. Karey Dornetto.

Community as a show was just a crazy storm of creative and talented people.

Don't forget Ludwig Goransson who went on to work with Donald as Childish Gambino produce his biggest tracks, Black Panther, and The Mandalorian.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's something funny about the idea of Walton Goggins being hard to get now so they just grab Pedro Pascal instead.
I don't mean to sound like I'm shitting on Walton Goggins, I just mean they're both pretty big names nowadays.

Battle Born

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is phenomenal so far. I've missed them being together so much. I really hope Dan can finally make that movie happen.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
LMAO at Pedro being unable to keep it together through all the sperm cylinder stuff.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yup, Donald just kinda took it in stride (Chevy would say people only think he's funnier because he's black) but Yvette would have none of it.

On the other hand, Dan Harmon got drunk and started a "Fuck Chevy" chant at the wrap party for Season 3 in front of Chevy's family which is what triggered the voicemail (or one of them at least).
Love Yvette.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
That was great. Going to watch the actual episode later tonight.

It's amazing how Community is back in the limelight. I never would have guessed this a decade ago.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I literally just watched the sperm episode for the first time yesterday lmao, perfect timing. Shame they couldn't get Goggins back though because he was absolute perfection in that ep.