• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Very interesting how quickly people started discouraging basic hygiene. 🤔

Despite their convenience, a recurring expense in most households are rolls of paper towels - especially for young people who use them as an all purpose disposable for eating, cleaning, etc. You could eliminate this expense entirely with washable towels and rags.

I am a hypocrite though because I use paper towels to eat off of a lot so I don't have to do dishes.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If you're shaving your face: shaving cream. It's useless and makes it more likely that you'll get a shaving cut. I just use warm water, my safety razor, and that's it!
If I shave without some sort of cream or gel I get really outrageous razor burn. It's also quite painful. I have no idea how it would make you more likely to hurt yourself but this definitely seems contrary to most people's experience.

Especially because even professional barbers who use a deft hand and a straight edge also still use shaving cream when they shave one's face.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Alcohol/"antiseptic" mouthwash is bullshit, you want the alcohol free high fluoride content stuff. My dentist recommended it to me in 2014 after I got my last cavity and it's been working great, no new ones since then.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm not sure if they count but I'd say water filters and bottled water. Unless you have water warnings, tap water is perfectly fine. It's always funny to me how people say they don't trust tap water but end up paying 200-300% markup on what is just bottled tap water.
My tap water at home sucks. If you run paper towel over the cold water, the paper towel turns brown within minutes. It also tastes pretty terrible. Using a water filter is the only way we drink our tap water.

It's annoying, because generally speaking, NYC water tastes great. But I guess because my building is old, my apartment has really bad tasting water.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I don't like shaving foam, but shaving with just water is way more likely to result in razorburn in my experience.

Shaving soap with a brush is the best and cheaper solution I've found.
If I shave without some sort of cream or gel I get really outrageous razor burn. It's also quite painful. I have no idea how it would make you more likely to hurt yourself but this definitely seems contrary to most people's experience.

Especially because even professional barbers who use a deft hand and a straight edge also still use shaving cream when they shave one's face.
Interesting! The last time I had a problem with razorburn or having nicks was back when I still used the stuff. I guess I should also add that I shave immediately after a hot shower.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Mouthwash is not bs lol...

Not everyone needs it as a daily supplement to their oral hygiene. But it's far from a scam. It does help high risk caries patients.

OP
OP
Cow

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, it appears I was wrong about mouthwash. We will be doing research into non alcohol mouthwash and publishing the results at a later date.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
You're supposed to use mouth wash at times when brushing isn't convenient, like at work after lunch for example.
Telling people mouth wash is a scam is ridiculous, just teach them to use it fucking properly.

I feel like I need photos of the people in this thread and their homes before I accept their insane advice on hygiene.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You're supposed to use mouth wash at times when brushing isn't convenient, like at work after lunch for example.
Telling people mouth wash is a scam is ridiculous, just teach them to use it fucking properly.

I feel like I need photos of the people in this thread and their homes before I accept their insane advice on hygiene.
dkush40.jpg

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Water heater rentals. Just buy it out, it's cheaper.

Completely wrong. Water heaters now fail under around six years. Cost-cutting/competition has reduced quality.

Rent your water heater, have a basin under it, if it breaks it won't cost you a cent.

edit: It's 9-10$ a month here, people paying 30 a month are getting scammed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It actually washes the fluoride from the toothpaste away and causes more harm than good.

If you do it wrong.

Flouride mouthwash is good and allows you to properly rinse everything out after brushing and then getting fluoride back in. If you just brush then either you have to not rinse (gross) or rinse and have no lasting effect. Mouthwash solves that problem.

Mouthwash with alcohol is bad though.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I see weekend ERA is in full force today.
Cant you fuckers just be normal?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if mouthwash does no good then people might as well come to terms with flossing also not doing any good if you already brush your teeth well enough.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Completely wrong. Water heaters now fail under around six years. Cost-cutting/competition has reduced quality.

Rent your water heater, have a basin under it, if it breaks it won't cost you a cent.

edit: It's 9-10$ a month here, people paying 30 a month are getting scammed.

I've had mine for 8 and it's still going fine, wouldn't say "completely wrong" is an accurate statement.

I have a high efficiency one that I bought out, by the time I had paid out the rental contract, I had already paid 2x its actual value... so, not cheaper.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Huh ? Dentists recommend mouthwash all the time for people who have or might have gingivitis.

'Flossing alone will get rid of gingivitis' is what no dentist ever said.

NoRĂ©N

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dating and "love".

just become an incel. It will save you money and you get to redirect your aggression.

Oct 27, 2017
I use kitchen scissors all the time so not those. Cutting open packages, cutting herbs, and cutting apart a chicken or snipping off excess skin & fat. I could use a knife but the scissors are better.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
There are medical mouthwashes that are supposed to be used after brushing. My dentist prescribed me an antiseptic mouthwash to use after a recent deep cleaning below the gum line and I'm supposed to use it for 30 seconds after brushing and not rinse it out or eat/drink for 30 minutes after.