• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even recognize/remember that.
Was it a CDi competitor?
Kinda, but it predates the first CDI commercial players by several years. The first CDI commercial players were like 1995, this was late 1990. It basically birthed the concept of an "media PC." It was an Amiga 500, meant to fit under your TV. It largely failed because it lacked a floppy drive out of the box, it only took CDs. That's not a floppy in the pic, that's a CD caddy, this was so early in the life of CD-Roms that it was back in the day that they couldn't be exposed and had to be placed in caddys.

It was ridiculously ahead of its time.

It's one of the single most elusive Amiga models in existence. These things are super hard to find.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am still amazed by what the demogroup Black Lotus has pumped with the Amiga, here with Starstruck (2006), Rift (2014) and Eon (2019).

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently picked up an aca1221ec for my 1200 and was going through some old games.

The intro for No Second Prize is some funky shit:

Click: https://youtu.be/GfX7tRNzsHA

Game plays really well too, holds up better than Grand Prix IMO.

wait wait wait wait wait

is the ACA1221ec out?? Because if so, holy shit I'm livid right now. Story time! I bought an ACA1233-n from AmigaKit about 2 years ago and have been going through fucking hell dealing with them. The card arrived dead, it never worked, and when I hit up their customer support, they ignored me, and continued to ignore my emails until I made a topic on English Amiga Board explaining how they were ducking me. Minutes after making the topic on EAB, they finally replied, in an angry manner asking why I was going public (because you assholes wouldn't answer me at all!).

Anywho, back and forth for like a month while they insinuated I broke the card ("let me see the pins on the card, I want to make sure there's no burn marks from you installing it wrong"), until finally, they said "ok mail it back to us and we'll give you a new one." I had to pay the shipping to mail it back out of pocket.

fucking 8 months go by without a word. I finally make another topic on EAB about it, they respond. Seems once I sent back the board, they found out that indivision had discontinued the ACA-1233n and thus they couldn't fulfill the order for a replacement. And "it's not company policy to give refunds." So... uh.

Months and months of arguing continue, they eventually tell me they'll try fixing the card themselves in-house, I tell them I don't want the card anymore, and they say "well, if Indivision ever makes a replacement card, we'll send you that one instead."

I've been watching the ACA-1221ec carefully as that looks to be the next best replacement down the line. You're saying you have yours in-hand? Because if so, looks like it's time for me to make another EAB topic about how they run their business like shit.

Damn AmigaKit sucks.

EDIT: Holy shit, they even list it in-stock on their website: http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1296

fuck amigakit so hard. What an awful company.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
wait wait wait wait wait

is the ACA1221ec out?? Because if so, holy shit I'm livid right now. Story time! I bought an ACA1233-n from AmigaKit about 2 years ago and have been going through fucking hell dealing with them. The card arrived dead, it never worked, and when I hit up their customer support, they ignored me, and continued to ignore my emails until I made a topic on English Amiga Board explaining how they were ducking me. Minutes after making the topic on EAB, they finally replied, in an angry manner asking why I was going public (because you assholes wouldn't answer me at all!).

Anywho, back and forth for like a month while they insinuated I broke the card ("let me see the pins on the card, I want to make sure there's no burn marks from you installing it wrong"), until finally, they said "ok mail it back to us and we'll give you a new one." I had to pay the shipping to mail it back out of pocket.

fucking 8 months go by without a word. I finally make another topic on EAB about it, they respond. Seems once I sent back the board, they found out that indivision had discontinued the ACA-1233n and thus they couldn't fulfill the order for a replacement. And "it's not company policy to give refunds." So... uh.

Months and months of arguing continue, they eventually tell me they'll try fixing the card themselves in-house, I tell them I don't want the card anymore, and they say "well, if Indivision ever makes a replacement card, we'll send you that one instead."

I've been watching the ACA-1221ec carefully as that looks to be the next best replacement down the line. You're saying you have yours in-hand? Because if so, looks like it's time for me to make another EAB topic about how they run their business like shit.

Damn AmigaKit sucks.

EDIT: Holy shit, they even list it in-stock on their website: http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1296

fuck amigakit so hard. What an awful company.
Oh man, I wish I'd known this about Amigakit before I ordered from them! Yes It is out and I actually bought it from Amigakit, assuming this is the same one: Click

It arrived, works fine and their sales team even added a couple of optical mice to my order for me and my brother via email communication. They were super responsive and everything was sorted the same day.

However one of the mice arrived broken and three emails and several weeks later they've only sent one reply along the lines of 'we check every mouse before shipping'...OK. It is still broken.

I ordered a replacement floppy from them in the meanwhile and that arrived just fine, so there is someone home.

Obviously no way near as bad as your situation, I really hope you can sort something out with them.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I wish I'd known this about Amigakit before I ordered from them! Yes It is out and I actually bought it from Amigakit, assuming this is the same one: Click

It arrived, works fine and their sales team even added a couple of optical mice to my order for me and my brother via email communication. They were super responsive and everything was sorted the same day.

However one of the mice arrived broken and three emails and several weeks later they've only sent one reply along the lines of 'we check every mouse before shipping'...OK. It is still broken.

I ordered a replacement floppy from them in the meanwhile and that arrived just fine, so there is someone home.

Obviously no way near as bad as your situation, I really hope you can sort something out with them.

Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. Just sent them an email and bumped my old EAB topic on the matter. I just want SOMETHING for the $225 + shipping (twice!) I paid. Note that the ACA-1221ec is only 25 mhz and 16 MB of ram where the ACA-1233n was 40 mhz and 128 MB of ram, and that the ACA-1233n was $225 while the ACA-1221ec is $216. So I still lose in this situation. But I don't care, I just want something. Because fuck any business that takes your money, and then 2 fucking years later, still hasn't fulfilled the order and gets pissed when you email them.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
This kind of talk makes me feel like a very old man. But yeah, it was a pain. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is the game that sticks out in my memory as being a disk swap nightmare. Would load a little from disk one then ask to insert disk two, load a little from disk two then ask to insert disk one, rinse and repeat.
The copy I had had a corrupted disk that failed when you got to the second island (3/4 way through). I didn't complete the game for 20 years until I played it on an iPhone 3gs!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda, but it predates the first CDI commercial players by several years. The first CDI commercial players were like 1995, this was late 1990. It basically birthed the concept of an "media PC." It was an Amiga 500, meant to fit under your TV. It largely failed because it lacked a floppy drive out of the box, it only took CDs. That's not a floppy in the pic, that's a CD caddy, this was so early in the life of CD-Roms that it was back in the day that they couldn't be exposed and had to be placed in caddys.
No the first CD-I player came out in the US on december 3rd 1991 so about 8 months after Commodore's CDTV.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Okay, I don't get the hype for the Amiga CDTV. Back in 1990 or so, when it launched in the UK, i played around with one in a store and went meh. It might've been ahead of its time but no it wasn't - Commodore took the then ageing chipset that I was in AWE of back in 1985 and just slapped a CD-ROM unit 5 years later. And made it look like my VHS player at the same time. No wonder it was a failure.

It was a missed opportunity to upgrade the Amiga chipset to a next gen iteration and launch the CDTV. The writing was on the wall and the beginning of the downfall of Commodore. They forgot what made the original Amiga great and were falling behind the curve.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So AmigaKit contacted me, said they had managed to source a new ACA-1233n for me and have soak tested it and are shipping it to me. So an even better outcome than I was expecting yesterday.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
So AmigaKit contacted me, said they had managed to source a new ACA-1233n for me and have soak tested it and are shipping it to me. So an even better outcome than I was expecting yesterday.
That's good news, I'm glad you got it sorted.

I'll start pestering them about my mouse again now you've resolved that!

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
"Legend of the Amiga music scene Hoffman joins us live in The Cave to have a chat and answer your questions and then treat us to a Live DJ set of his music mixed on two Amiga 600's, using the DJ software he co-created, PT-1210 "

via

SgtBilko

Dec 8, 2019
Its where my career started 8). Did the music on Fifa, Mortal Kombat 2, half the music on Colonisation and the never released Primal Rage. My early PC game projects were still written on Protracker as well.

Apologies for the necro but you have no idea how much i love the Colonisation music so i just wanted to say thanks! It's a marvellous game too!

delume

Oct 27, 2017
Newest of all Zealands
Oh lord, what a demo scene! As a kid we would visit the one friend we had that had an Amiga and look on in awe and jealousy. The sound that came out of it was other worldly. Then we would drag our feet home to play on our C64s. Commodore was the real deal.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Received the batman 89 pack for Christmas and never looked back. Work bench was great, deluxe paint was AMAZING and the cinemaware games along with the demos and pirate scene kept it around for a long time. Shout out to Killing Floor, speedball 2, magic pockets, the blues brothers, Rick dangerous, turrican, rocket ranger, tv sports football, sensible soccer and monkey island

Oct 26, 2017
Received the batman 89 pack for Christmas and never looked back. Work bench was great, deluxe paint was AMAZING and the cinemaware games along with the demos and pirate scene kept it around for a long time. Shout out to Killing Floor, speedball 2, magic pockets, the blues brothers, Rick dangerous, turrican, rocket ranger, tv sports football, sensible soccer and monkey island

I managed to pull a bunch of image files off my old disks, and it's amazing what I was able to make with just a mouse as a drawing tool. To this day, no PC mouse has ever been that precise, or at least it seems that way to me.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I managed to pull a bunch of image files off my old disks, and it's amazing what I was able to make with just a mouse as a drawing tool. To this day, no PC mouse has ever been that precise, or at least it seems that way to me.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the enthusiasts keeping it breathing. Some of the music in this thread is amazing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Well you were working with a 320x256 resolution. It's easier to be precise compared to nowadays resolutions.

when I use an Amiga mouse with a 720p setup it's torture

Samuray

Nov 21, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This feels....peculiar. :D

Back then as a kid I missed out on "Rocket Ranger" by Cinemaware despite the reviews made it sound and look really cool...just never got the chance to buy it anywhere. Now, only a few decades later, there's a new batch being made, with classic big box and a little vinyl and everything, for very little money and it'll even run on my Amiga CD32. Strange days indeed. I love it. ^^

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Amiga Forever Plus edition, hey its lockdown why not, variety of Amiga systems to mess around with, fired up Agony, game is gorgeous, the music and loading screens man -

Agony_level_1_loader.png
Agony_level_2_loader.png
Agony_level_3_loader.png
Agony_level_4_loader.png
Agony_level_5_loader.png
Agony_title_and_level_6_loader.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Amiga Forever Plus edition, hey its lockdown why not, variety of Amiga systems to mess around with, fired up Agony, game is gorgeous, the music and loading screens man -

Agony_level_1_loader.png
Agony_level_2_loader.png
Agony_level_3_loader.png
Agony_level_4_loader.png
Agony_level_5_loader.png
Agony_title_and_level_6_loader.png
This stuff still looks stunning.

Amiga fans, the essential platformers thread needs your votes. So far it has been dominated by just Nintendo and modern indies. Variety is badly needed. It would be a shame to see nothing like Another World, Flashback, or Turrican make it onto the top 101.
www.resetera.com

Resetera's 101 Essential Platformers: Top 101 Posted, Honorable Mentions Posted

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Amiga fans, the essential platformers thread needs your votes. So far it has been dominated by just Nintendo and modern indies. Variety is badly needed. It would be a shame to see nothing like Another World, Flashback, or Turrican make it onto the top 101.
www.resetera.com

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...
I've not done my list yet, but Superfrog is going on for sure. i think Turrican is too much of a shooter for me to put it on personally, but now I'm tempted to put Turrican 2on it too lol.
Speaking of Flashback, I just got the Switch version because it's 89p, and his pink shirt is killing me. Like, it's activity ruining my enjoyment of it lmao.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

The Amiga has a few decent plateformers but not many tbh

Brian the Lion
Adventures of Lomax
Lionheart
Bill's Tomato Game
Soccer Kid
Magic Pckets
Gods

to name a few, but Turrican 1/2/3 are more run and gun games while Another World or Flashback aren't really plateformers, they're more puzzle games than anything, especially since they use static screens and very little scrolling. That'S like saying the original Prince of Persia is a plateformer which I wouldn't agree with

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Does any one remember that Star Trek USS Enterprise demo coming out of space dock?

I liked that demo.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all,

really want to get some AMIGA game emulation going, but here is the tricky bit:
Ideally I could do so on my Android phone, the Windows 10 PC and possibly a Raspberry Pi 4 with the same game repository.
I don't really have the time to tweak separate installations and config files for 3 different platforms, WHDLoad on one platform then ADF on another etc.
Is there a way?
For Android Retroarch it seems P-UAE seems to get better, but still requires manual config files per game? Would that be WHDLoad?
How is Emulationstation and Amiberry?
On Windows PC I was used to WinUAE+ADFs which was also not really user friendly but compared to no good documenation on P-UAE it seems like child's play?

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

really want to get some AMIGA game emulation going, but here is the tricky bit:
Ideally I could do so on my Android phone, the Windows 10 PC and possibly a Raspberry Pi 4 with the same game repository.
I don't really have the time to tweak separate installations and config files for 3 different platforms, WHDLoad on one platform then ADF on another etc.
Is there a way?
For Android Retroarch it seems P-UAE seems to get better, but still requires manual config files per game? Would that be WHDLoad?
How is Emulationstation and Amiberry?
On Windows PC I was used to WinUAE+ADFs which was also not really user friendly but compared to no good documenation on P-UAE it seems like child's play?

FS-UAE is a great frontend for PC that's really quick and convenient to use once you set it up, also supports TOSEC Amiga romsets and WHDLoad and the games are all pre-configured to run properly. I've played a ton more Amiga games with it just because of the ease of use. I don't remember all the setup steps and I see there's a new version out but you can check it out here: https://fs-uae.net/ and the getting started section: https://fs-uae.net/docs/getting-started

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video from 1990 was put on youtube a few years ago but I just noticed it now. It's pretty neat and has a kid playing Sword of Sodan on Amiga.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Amiga was absurdly ahead of its time and quite possibly the best money to performance ratio of any pc ever released.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Amiga was absurdly ahead of its time and quite possibly the best money to performance ratio of any pc ever released.
The Amiga had its niche but its gaming abilities took almost 5 years to shine (with sotb). Once games became exclusive and not ports from ST games it had it better but by then the PCE, Megadrive and SFC were already out or almost there

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Swoon! Didn't realize this thread existed.... I remember when my dad got an Amiga 500 when I moved back to the US (military family). Everyone was raging out about this new hotness Nintendo, but I had Defender of the Crown, Bard's Tale, 4 channel sound... So amazing. Still, loved going to my friends to play Duck Hunt and Mario, but lived with our Amiga for almost a decade (still got a nintendo eventually, superNES, etc.) but I'll never forget playing with my father on the Amiga... and his own amazement when he showed it off to his friends. It was greater than the sum of its parts, and really captured the magic of what hardware was capable back then. Things are amazing nowadays, but I dunno, something about it... (plus dunking on people with CGA IBMs... suckers :) ).

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Which Amiga version would start to be comparable to SNES and Mega Drive (processor-wise, not colour or sound)? And what was the standard floppy size/capacity at the time

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Which Amiga version would start to be comparable to SNES and Mega Drive (processor-wise, not colour or sound)? And what was the standard floppy size/capacity at the time

I'd contend that the SNES/Amiga swung at a little different audience/approach... also SNES was fixed hardware while Amiga had expansion mechanisms (ZORRO!). Based 500 was, on paper, a better system than SNES even when it was released so many years later. That said, SNES was super well built and designed for that it's hard to compare in many ways. However, the AGA processors (A600/1200/4000) world was well advanced than the SNES but feel dreadfully short in terms of proper 3D graphic acceleration (PC Voodoo cards, etc were just coming online around this time period too which proved open hardware IBM "compatible" really started to show its strength).

I guess I'd encourage folks to look at the CD32... but then again, probably not a great comparison either. I dunno, it's hard to quantify. (I really did a ton of other things with my Amiga beyond just gaming aka, BBS, early internet stuff, writing mods, demoscene (viewing, not making, word processing... but all the sierra games, lucasArts, etc which never made it to traditional console platforms).

Rambled, but there were so many good games, and such great technology here.