• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
After the C&C mobile game such a faithful remaster sure is nice. Hope they'll do the sequels as well

UoXV7qs.gif

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That feature list is like, a fucking pitch perfect, can't do a remaster better, fucking shining example of mouth watering gaming goodness!

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Brings a tear to my eye to see this much love and care to an all time classic franchise.

Is this the start of the EA redemption story?

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can not for the life of me understand how recommended specs for this would be a 4690k cpu or that it would even require a dgpu.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
I might not buy it day one but I will get it for sure down the road. I hope this does well enough to warrant the treatment of tib sun and RA 2 remakes which would be an insta buy for me I have more nostalgia for RA2 then any other C&C game.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Now imagine a mass effect trilogy remaster treated like this. Oh boy a man can dream

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017
Holy moses I just saw that listing that console missions and FMV are included. No wonder I was so confused about some of the clips they showed with Carville.

I will get to experience new C&C content in the year 2020. Amazing.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
EA is buying a lot of goodwill with this. I don't really preorder as there's no need but i'm very tempted. Will most likely buy.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Will the limited editions run out or do they take as many preorders as possible up until the date?

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favourite memories of gaming as a kid was lanning these games (and Dungeon Keeper) at a local PC shop. Can't wait to play them again with modern (ish) graphics.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
These games were my childhood.

I remember playing the first C&C on a 25mhz pc. It ran like ASS but damn did I love it. Super excited to jump back in. Looks like a great remaster.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I had no idea they were bundling the C&C and Red Alert remasters together! I didn't even realize that Red Alert was just as far along - I always figured it would come after!

What an awesome surprise to see both coming in just a few months.

Deleted member 30395

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm very excited and I really hope they remaster Tiberium Sun and RA2 next.

However...oof, that cinematic look like dog shit. Looks like they've just filtered it with maximum smoothing. The faces are just a blur.
NjzWELM.jpg

this is just for the cinematic that didn't have console versions right? I think the others look much better than this

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
I am buying this day 1, and hoping we'll get a Red Alert 2 Remaster. That game was the apex of C&C for me.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It looks great, loved the trailer that went over all the core aspects of the remaster. The price is very reasonable and I'm glad it's on Steam too :)

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
this is just for the cinematic that didn't have console versions right? I think the others look much better than this
Pretty sure the PSX version of RA1 isn't noticeably better. It has slightly better resolution because of the 4:3 aspect ratio but worse colors. A real shame they lost the source videos.

At least they can't screw up Einstein's cutscene much.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the PSX version of RA1 isn't noticeably better. It has slightly better resolution because of the 4:3 aspect ratio but worse colors. A real shame they lost the source videos.

At least they can't screw up Einstein's cutscene much.

I'm pretty sure the PS1 videos looked slightly better overall. I'm going to compare the two using stills from youtube videos which probably isn't the greatest idea for objective metrics, but it's what I have to work with.

PC FMVs:
wCzFgIk.jpg

PS1 FMVs:
FPopQN1.jpg

PC video has some very heavy handed compression as you can see from the amount of quantization on the wood wall, and this is something I'm pretty sure I remember noticing back then as well. Westwood had to write their own video encoding and playback software for the lowest common denominator home computer CD readers at the time which were not as efficient as the PS1's innate hardware support for video.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'm very excited and I really hope they remaster Tiberium Sun and RA2 next.

However...oof, that cinematic look like dog shit. Looks like they've just filtered it with maximum smoothing. The faces are just a blur.
NjzWELM.jpg

Developer explaining in depth why they are like that was great, couldn't find original....

www.youtube.com

COMMAND & CONQUER REMASTER - FMV FULL ANNOUNCEMENT | Update Trailer [2020]

➥➥➥ SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE VIDEOS ➥➥➥Never miss a video . Subscribe ⇢ http://goo.gl/rtEzHWFollow me!➢ Subscribe: http://goo.gl/rtEzHW➢ Twitter: https://tinyurl.c...

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They covered this in a longer video.

The short answer is:
The raw tapes they had are garbage quality now and unusable.
They've found a lot of other footage since then, which is why the game includes so much bonus content.
But they're using the PS1 videos for as much as they can, since that's the highest res they found, and using a scant few PC ones for the rest.
PS1 was mpeg, so it's easier to work with. The PC one is a custom thing, making it harder to deal with.
They said the need to use the PS1 videos is also why they were able to add the PS1 exclusive missions, because they had everything else with it.

So this is their attempt at using AI neural networks to upscale potato quality video to 4K.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the PS1 videos looked slightly better overall. I'm going to compare the two using stills from youtube videos which probably isn't the greatest idea for objective metrics, but it's what I have to work with.

PC FMVs:
wCzFgIk.jpg

PS1 FMVs:
FPopQN1.jpg

PC video has some very heavy handed compression as you can see from the amount of quantization on the wood wall, and this is something I'm pretty sure I remember noticing back then as well. Westwood had to write their own video encoding and playback software for the lowest common denominator home computer CD readers at the time which were not as efficient as the PS1's innate hardware support for video.
PS1 is too yellow in my opinion, but yeah, with PS1 you can do a lot more. I don't envy the people who have to touch up the cinematics though.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. This looks so good. You can clearly tell that there was boat loads of passion that went into this project.