• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got it a few weeks ago, enjoyed it. But old games are hard as nails and really not forgiving. Shows how far game design has come to take the edge off.
Nice. Have you played Red Alert? It's much better-designed than its predecessor (almost a Super Mario 1 to 3 jump). If you even go back to it, I recommend that you install the CFE Hunter patches, as they add tons of little quality-of-life updates that, I think, should have been in the game from the get-go.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Nice. Have you played Red Alert? It's much better-designed than its predecessor (almost a Super Mario 1 to 3 jump). If you even go back to it, I recommend that you install the CFE Hunter patches, as they add tons of little quality-of-life updates that, I think, should have been in the game from the get-go.
Oh yes, RA is much better than the first. same goes for the sequels, I love RA2, it's probably my favorite in the series.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these missions on Hard are no fucking joke, and I'm enjoying Red Alert a lot more than I did C&C, even if I like Kane and Co. a billion times more than everyone that isn't Einstein or Stalin. 😂

Am I the only person that actually prefers the old graphics? Something about the basic tile sets are easier on my eyes than the modern ones... I'm probably just lame.

Things my 12 year old self never did because never thought of it: build 2 x refineries from the off. EZ MODE.
My surprise when I realized like just yesterday that an extra ore refinery is just $600 more than purchasing a Harvester unit. 😕 I know the power differential and all but damn.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've jumped back into this game for a couple days. It's still great fun and I am legitimately in awe how it feels and seems to look just like I remember playing it 20+ years ago... and then you hit the space bar and are in awe of what they did to improve it but still retain it to such an amazing extent. Honestly this is what a remaster should be.
But... some of the campaign missions are fucking rough on hard... it's such a slog... Often times I will bleed the map dry of any resources and then it's a frantic tedious effort to just stay alive, repair defenses and not needlessly loose any units... and then just piece by painful piece whittle away at the enemies substance...
Tiberium regenerates soo freaking slow...

Also is it me or are the RA expansion maps really hard even on easy mode?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've jumped back into this game for a couple days. It's still great fun and I am legitimately in awe how it feels and seems to look just like I remember playing it 20+ years ago... and then you hit the space bar and are in awe of what they did to improve it but still retain it to such an amazing extent. Honestly this is what a remaster should be.
But... some of the campaign missions are fucking rough on hard... it's such a slog... Often times I will bleed the map dry of any resources and then it's a frantic tedious effort to just stay alive, repair defenses and not needlessly loose any units... and then just piece by painful piece whittle away at the enemies substance...
Tiberium regenerates soo freaking slow...

Also is it me or are the RA expansion maps really hard even on easy mode?
The hard difficulty in Tiberium Dawn is new; it wasn't in the original release. I haven't tried it and have no intention to, but I've read that it was quite poorly done. There's even one mission that is apparently unfinishable because of it. I don't know if it was ever patched.

The RA expansions missions are harder than the base game. The ones from Counterstrike are in particular quite annoying, to the point that I pretty much found the whole expansion quite bad. It was actually my first time playing the expansions despite having played the base game to death back in the day. Like, the one mission in particular where trucks drop nuclear warheads when destroyed, which explode when touched, is just straight-up garbage design. These games were not designed to be able to precisely move units on a map; hell, the AI doesn't even listen to you some times. Needless to say, I am never replaying Counterstrike.

Thankfully, Aftermath was much better. Still not quite to the quality of the base game though.

Also, if you haven't done so already, I implore you to install the CFE Patch Redux mods from Chthon. Some of the updates, such as the addition of the Attack-Move command, are essential. I cannot even imagine replaying these games without it. It's literally all I use when engaging in battles with enemy units, because fuck trying to click on individual units and having all units focus their attention on a single unit when they should be just firing on everything that moves around them.

Each addition can be disabled and enabled manually, so if you don't want veterancy, for example, you can turn it off. I left that one on because these old games were not exactly the pinacle of unit balance, so I didn't mind messing with that aspect of the game a bit.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about this series; my RTS experience is stuff like Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2, Grey Goo, etc

What makes these C&C games classic/special/good?
That mod sounds great. I'll check it out thanks!

I have C&C on the mind today, so I figured I'd check in with you two to see how it went. More_badass, did you manage to play the game at all since you asked about it? And FliX, did you check out the mods I mentioned to you? I didn't mention that bit back then, but the mod for TD makes Tiberium grow faster, and it gives you control over the speed of the growth, amongst all the other neat stuff it does.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I have C&C on the mind today, so I figured I'd check in with you two to see how it went. More_badass, did you manage to play the game at all since you asked about it? And FliX, did you check out the mods I mentioned to you? I didn't mention that bit back then, but the mod for TD makes Tiberium grow faster, and it gives you control over the speed of the growth, amongst all the other neat stuff it does.
I did try a bunch of mods back way back when. Haven't played it in months though it is still installed.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've been recently revisiting this to clean up the last achievements. Got them all except one.
But puhhhh completing all CnC 1 missions on hard seems like an impossibility to me. I have maybe 31 out of the 82 and I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel. Anything where I cannot in peace and quiet build a base and then an army is nigh impossible. Especially those many NOD missions with just a limited number of units to start with....

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I've been recently revisiting this to clean up the last achievements. Got them all except one.
But puhhhh completing all CnC 1 missions on hard seems like an impossibility to me. I have maybe 31 out of the 82 and I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel. Anything where I cannot in peace and quiet build a base and then an army is nigh impossible. Especially those many NOD missions with just a limited number of units to start with....

I'm with you I hate missions that are just hey here's some units, they're always the hardest for me. I come to RTS to build a base and defend it as I lay waste to the enemy.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm with you I hate missions that are just hey here's some units, they're always the hardest for me. I come to RTS to build a base and defend it as I lay waste to the enemy.
Same, give me 30 min to build a nice base while fending off the occasional assult, while I build a massive army and then steam roll the rest of the map. I don't want to play this competitively. 😝

Oh I also, really, really hate how enemy tanks (and harvesters) will always with microscopic precission manage to run over all my foot soldiers but I never manage to put a dent into enemy infantry by running them over...

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Same, give me 30 min to build a nice base while fending off the occasional assult, while I build a massive army and then steam roll the rest of the map. I don't want to play this competitively. 😝

Oh I also, really, really hate how enemy tanks (and harvesters) will always with microscopic precission manage to run over all my foot soldiers but I never manage to put a dent into enemy infantry by running them over...

Tanks just eating rockets while they just casually kill all your rocket infantry. You move in a tank and it gets obliterated in seconds and maybe kills 1 of their infantry. Seems right.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaaan where the fuck is red alert 2 remastered 😩

I love the red alert 1 remaster, but 2 is soooooo good

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of achievements! I presume that you like the game? lol

As for the hard difficulty on CNC 1, yeah like I said in a previous post, it was added for this remastered collection; as in, it didn't exist before. And what I read about it is that it wasn't well-balanced at all. Honestly, if you want the achievement, don't feel bad about using mods and whatnot.

Speaking of mods, did you use the CFE Patch Redux mods that I posted above? They are seriously essential. I hope that you haven't been playing this game without the attack-move command lol.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. I just got my old Alienware Alpha set up and forgot I bought this.

I turned on Red Alert, and that was the ABSOLUTE BEST INSTALL SCREEN THROWBACK WHATEVER IT WAS I'VE EVER SEEN. Took me back to '96.

My God that was great.