• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arenow

Jun 10, 2020
Did anyone else get a bug in Soviet mission 12? I got attacked by a surprisingly resilient bunch of troops, and it took me a minute to realise that neither them nor me were taking damage! I could still stomp on troops, but health bars were not going down.
Luckily the mission was about capturing Tech Centers. Engineers still worked, so I just took some naval transports and got on with it. Felt a bit weird but hey, there's no such thing as honor in war!

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping for the EA play tease to amount to something substantial. Oh well ! Hopefully this does well enough that they are going to remaster ts and ra2, or even make a new one. Though I hope they let Petroglyph make it in either case.

Remember to check out the C&C discord if you haven't. Let's get some ERA games going !

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how wild the add-on pack missions decided to go. The Paradox Equation mission where the weapons have different effects was something. Was hilarious when I first built a V2 thinking "I wonder what this will do differently" and it immediately fired at an invading tank and proceeded to nuke my entire base.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get a bug in Soviet mission 12? I got attacked by a surprisingly resilient bunch of troops, and it took me a minute to realise that neither them nor me were taking damage! I could still stomp on troops, but health bars were not going down.
Luckily the mission was about capturing Tech Centers. Engineers still worked, so I just took some naval transports and got on with it. Felt a bit weird but hey, there's no such thing as honor in war!

Yeah I had that, had to restart the mission to get it going again. Why didn't I think of that .........

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I forgot how wild the add-on pack missions decided to go. The Paradox Equation mission where the weapons have different effects was something. Was hilarious when I first built a V2 thinking "I wonder what this will do differently" and it immediately fired at an invading tank and proceeded to nuke my entire base.
Now that you say it I remember that mission. It was pretty cool.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Finished both GDI and Nod campaigns on hard. I have to say, some missions are just beyond anything I'd consider reasonable lol so ridiculous
Who would have thought: Dishing out buffs and debuffs left and right fucks up mission balance...super surprised face
Then again there were missions even later on that were a piece of cake, e.g. the one were you're supposed to destroy the mammoth tanks.

I assume some Covert Ops missions are gonna be impossible. I mean I've said this to myself many times during the main campaigns already, yet there was always a way, but I guess it's bound to happen at some point.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished both GDI and Nod campaigns on hard. I have to say, some missions are just beyond anything I'd consider reasonable lol so ridiculous
Who would have thought: Dishing out buffs and debuffs left and right fucks up mission balance...super surprised face
Then again there were missions even later on that were a piece of cake, e.g. the one were you're supposed to destroy the mammoth tanks.

I assume some Covert Ops missions are gonna be impossible. I mean I've said this to myself many times during the main campaigns already, yet there was always a way, but I guess it's bound to happen at some point.
Oh you need to play the missions on normal. The hard difficulty was added specifically for the remaster, and barely any work went into it. The game's producer said that they basically took the hard difficulty parameters of Red Alert and copy/pasted them into TD. The latest patch is supposed to tone it down some. Still, just play the missions on normal.

I'm currently doing the Covert Ops missions on normal. I had never played them before. So far (I done all but one of the GDI missions), they were pretty underwhelming. There's only one that I really liked (you start with two commandos).

Can't wait to get to Red Alert. For some fucking reason, I have yet to finish the Soviet campaign. I have also barely played the expansion missions. I played Retaliation back in the day, but never beat it before holy shit were these missions hard. I don't think they were optimized for playing them with a controller lol.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah at this point I just want to see how far I can take it lol
It's a really stupid way to increase difficulty

It looks like I had finished like half of the addon six years ago. Must have gotten sick of it

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question! Me and a friend want to play online co-op, but the skirmish mode isn't nearly as challenging or fun as storming a premade base. So I made one with the Map Editor, but I don't think the game will start with that map selected. Any solutions?

(I've tried googling the answer, to no avail, so I hope someone here knows)

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question! Me and a friend want to play online co-op, but the skirmish mode isn't nearly as challenging or fun as storming a premade base. So I made one with the Map Editor, but I don't think the game will start with that map selected. Any solutions?

(I've tried googling the answer, to no avail, so I hope someone here knows)
In online there is a custom maps tab to select where games using custom maps are shown. That should work ?

Make sure you also set online team spawn points, and assign an AI to a slot. Expect the game to be over when you defeat that enemys units, so customise them to be set up as owned by that team in the map editor.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man half the battle in this game is fighting the horrific path finding.

Also I'm playing this on my laptop with Intel 620 graphics but there is no reason why this game should have such stuttery performance. The last allied mission feels like it's sub-30 FPS.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Played a bunch of RA today, and boy is the situation with vehicles queuing to enter a transport.... terrible. It's worse than in the original game. Select 5 tanks, tell them all to get in the water transport, they all crowd around it, then they all move out of the way so one of them can roll up and..... decide he doesn't want to go first.... then they all do this shuffle dance for a while until one finally goes in, and they all shuffle again each time one of them goes in. It takes forever to load up. It was not like this originally- not even on PS1 versions.

The pathfinding seems to have gotten worse though since that last big update where they said they improved pathfinding. I hate to sound like a nitpick or complain about something I should be happy I'm getting at all, but it's really bumming me out and putting a damper on my enjoyment.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man half the battle in this game is fighting the horrific path finding.

Also I'm playing this on my laptop with Intel 620 graphics but there is no reason why this game should have such stuttery performance. The last allied mission feels like it's sub-30 FPS.
Played a bunch of RA today, and boy is the situation with vehicles queuing to enter a transport.... terrible. It's worse than in the original game. Select 5 tanks, tell them all to get in the water transport, they all crowd around it, then they all move out of the way so one of them can roll up and..... decide he doesn't want to go first.... then they all do this shuffle dance for a while until one finally goes in, and they all shuffle again each time one of them goes in. It takes forever to load up. It was not like this originally- not even on PS1 versions.

The pathfinding seems to have gotten worse though since that last big update where they said they improved pathfinding. I hate to sound like a nitpick or complain about something I should be happy I'm getting at all, but it's really bumming me out and putting a damper on my enjoyment.
Go in the workshop and install the CFE patches for Tib Dawn and Red Alert. They fix pathfinding and unit queuing, amongst other things. Sort the mods by the most popular of all time and you'll find them near the top.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Finished the Red Alert Soviet campaign on the weekend, that was a lot of fun, though had to drop the difficulty to Casual at times. Are the expansion missions worth it? Or should I move to Tiberium Dawn?

Is it realistic to expect a Red Alert 2/Tiberium Sun remaster?

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
If there's a tiberian sun remaster, i hope they keep using the voxel tech introduced for that game. The chunky 3D pixels gave the game nice original look and made it feel super smooth.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Red Alert Soviet campaign on the weekend, that was a lot of fun, though had to drop the difficulty to Casual at times. Are the expansion missions worth it? Or should I move to Tiberium Dawn?
Play the expansions of Red Alert before moving to Tiberian Dawn; their missions are super cool and way better than anything in Tib Dawn. The jump in design quality between Tib Dawn and Red Alert is honestly fairly similar to the one between Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3. I just finished Tib Dawn and all its expansion and console missions, and while I love the game dearly and have a lot of nostalgia for it, I think I can safely say that there is a possibility that I never play it again for the rest of my life. Red Alert is just better in every conceivable way. I've played Tiberian Dawn enough I think.

Is it realistic to expect a Red Alert 2/Tiberium Sun remaster?
Yes. After the success of the current remasters, there will assuredly be remasters of Tib Sun and RA2.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Play the expansions of Red Alert before moving to Tiberian Dawn; their missions are super cool and way better than anything in Tib Dawn. The jump in design quality between Tib Dawn and Red Alert is honestly fairly similar to the one between Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3. I just finished Tib Dawn and all its expansion and console missions, and while I love the game dearly and have a lot of nostalgia for it, I think I can safely say that there is a possibility that I never play it again for the rest of my life. Red Alert is just better in every conceivable way. I've played Tiberian Dawn enough I think.

Yes. After the success of the current remasters, there will assuredly be remasters of Tib Sun and RA2.

Thanks!

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man played through the Allied campaign on Normal with no mods. Even though some of the missions were insanely painful (I must have saved and reloaded some of those indoor missions dozens of times), I had a lot of fun. No idea how I even played through this on PS1 back in the day.

Now I'm going to play through the rest with some mods. Is there a big difference between the CFE and Rampastring "QoL" mods?

Geeker

May 11, 2019
I just finished all Allied missions in RA on normal. That was a lot easier than my 10 year old self remember it as. Even the indoor missions were rather easy as long as you made sure to save regularly.

I was not nuked at all during the last two missions despite Soviet having the silo. Is this a bug or as intended? I also have to say that the chronosphere is really useless in the last mission. Yes, you can teleport a cruiser that lets you take out some airfields but that is about it. By far the most useful allied features are the tech center satellite and spamming cheap light tanks to kingdom come.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Clearly the Soviet campaign seems meant to be played after the allied one; missions are much harder and the two last ones are an absolute slog and I had to abuse migs.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the soviet campaign isn't that bad, you outclass the allies unit for unit in pretty much every engagement, and you have Tesla Coils to shore up your defenses.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
The best thingabout this remake is that using rules.ini doesn't lock you out of anything, so my balance patches from 15 years ago still work.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Oh I didn't know rules.ini was still available. In which folder is it located?

It is hidden. You can find an extractor. Or just find a copy online and copy it in. Works like a charm, which is what I did with my existing rule set.

Bam. A minute later I have a version of red alert in HD where the allies get grenadiers, the chronosphere does not kill passengers (and it thus actually useful), spies have their gun enabled, thieves can cloak (and are thus now useful), artillery out ranges tesla coils, and turrets now are no longer weaker than the tanks they guard against.

www.pcgamer.com

How to mod C&C: Red Alert Remastered with the rules.ini file

Edit the default world, unit, and building variables to your heart's content.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is hidden. You can find an extractor. Or just find a copy online and copy it in. Works like a charm, which is what I did with my existing rule set.

Bam. A minute later I have a version of red alert in HD where the allies get grenadiers, the chronosphere does not kill passengers (and it thus actually useful), spies have their gun enabled, thieves can cloak (and are thus now useful), artillery out ranges tesla coils, and turrets now are no longer weaker than the tanks they guard against.

www.pcgamer.com

How to mod C&C: Red Alert Remastered with the rules.ini file

Edit the default world, unit, and building variables to your heart's content.
Sweet, thanks! Do you know if placing the .ini in the folder (unmodified) would mess with mods?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The GDI campaign is kicking my ass. These flamethrower troops are just ridiculous, I feel like nothing I have is effective against them in the mission im on. They even seem to destroy my tanks quickly as well.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The GDI campaign is kicking my ass. These flamethrower troops are just ridiculous, I feel like nothing I have is effective against them in the mission im on. They even seem to destroy my tanks quickly as well.
Which mission are you on? The best way to deal with infantry when playing as GDI is with rocket launchers (the tanks).

I would also consider downloading this mod, which incorporates all of CFE's patch (which was a godsend and a must-have; the author has sadly moved on from modding the game) as well as adds unit veterancy and other little balance changes. Tiberian Dawn is not a well-balanced game, and this patch will make your experience with the game better.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Which mission are you on? The best way to deal with infantry when playing as GDI is with rocket launchers (the tanks).

I would also consider downloading this mod, which incorporates all of CFE's patch (which was a godsend and a must-have; the author has sadly moved on from modding the game) as well as adds unit veterancy and other little balance changes. Tiberian Dawn is not a well-balanced game, and this patch will make your experience with the game better.

I managed to do that level in the end, but I'll be downloading this mod now!

jambo

Oct 25, 2017

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, I just ended up building about 25-30 tanks and ripped through them.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the mission I'm thinking of, I just ended up building about 25-30 tanks and ripped through them.

I ended up doing it by basically guarding my rockets like crazy - I didn't figure out how to build rockets myself until after, I thought they were locked away (maybe they were?)

Mammoth Tanks carried me for the rest of the campaign, they're so broken especially with the veterancy mod.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Command and Conquer sale for the 25th anniversary.

The Remastered edition is 25% off, the rest 75% off.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my Limited Run Games CE in the mail!

Bought for $150, and they go for at least $300 on eBay right now.