• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how unforgiving C&C 1 could be.

At the same time, i love that the AI doesn't cheat and can run out of money. There's been multiple missions where i just bled the enemy dry by constantly taking down their harvesters while rigorously micro managing mine

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
i recommend switching off Steam Cloud, I've lost all my Red Alert progress because it kept overwriting my local save for some reason. Luckily personal saves are still there, but all the mission select options and bonuses are gone.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I'm starting to feel the Hard difficulty, Soviet mission 9 gave me more problems than I originally thought. But managed to get past it, now mission 10, that looks like that will be a real pain. Can't wait.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Finished GDI, NOD, Allies, and Soviet campaign in a couple of days. It was a blast and something I never got around to actually do as a snot-nosed kid back in the day. It was simply too difficult for me back then.

Playing the campaigns also reaffirms that C&C95 is my favorite in the entire series.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The way some missions are designed just feels really arbitrarily obtuse. In Allied mission 9 you have to infiltrate a building to extract a defecting Soviet general. There are lots of attack dogs stationed in the base that will be triggered to attack the general once he exits the building. Only, for some inexplicable reason, these dogs are designated as a separate faction, and while they are hostile to you it is not vice versa, so none of your units will auto attack the dogs while they rush toward the general.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I want this but I don't play many PC games tbh since I only own a basic ass laptop. Would it run well on it being remastered and all?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want this but I don't play many PC games tbh since I only own a basic ass laptop. Would it run well on it being remastered and all?
Digital Foundry says performance is excellent on lower end hardware (you'd probably want an SSD though). I'd buy from a store with a refund policy and try it out.

Mar 22, 2019
Enjoyed the remaster so much I am installing the Ultimate Edition thanks to Origin Premier Sub - never played Red Alert 2 or 3 or even Command and Conquer 3 so excited!!

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
The way some missions are designed just feels really arbitrarily obtuse. In Allied mission 9 you have to infiltrate a building to extract a defecting Soviet general. There are lots of attack dogs stationed in the base that will be triggered to attack the general once he exits the building. Only, for some inexplicable reason, these dogs are designated as a separate faction, and while they are hostile to you it is not vice versa, so none of your units will auto attack the dogs while they rush toward the general.
That's why I just killed the dogs first, they don't react to your units.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Enjoyed the remaster so much I am installing the Ultimate Edition thanks to Origin Premier Sub - never played Red Alert 2 or 3 or even Command and Conquer 3 so excited!!

Honestly thinking about doing the same. But in case they chose to remaster Tiberian Sun and RA2 as well, I would rather hold out and wait.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Finished the GDI campaign last night. The last mission took me about 3 hours of trial and error.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see this come to Mac. Consoles would be cool too if I could plug in a K&M. Anyone know if any plans?

These would be such an awesome bunch of games to take a romp through.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am totally ready for RA2/YR remaster

untitled6dk0s.png

Arenow

Jun 10, 2020
Been enjoying this remaster at every chance I got, it's a love letter to fans and it feels great to play this game that kicked my ass when I was 12 after hardening my skin with modern RTS games.
That said, the way the AI does not follow the same rules that you do is a bit frustrating. Having a turret built right after destroying it without any other building around feels unfair, and that last GDI mission with the
über-nuke drop and the 2 enemy construction yards
was something else. That said, it was very satisfying to drop that last ion cannon.

After GDI, I'm going for the Soviet campaign. Then it'll be Nod, and finally the Allies. Damn these games are good!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about this series; my RTS experience is stuff like Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2, Grey Goo, etc

What makes these C&C games classic/special/good?
I forgot to answer this.

What makes these games special to me, outside of the love and nostalgia I have for them, is its unique mix of mechanics and pacing. This is a game where you need to build a base, acquire ressources, build and army and just go and wreck shit. Another franchise that is the closest to what C&C offers is Star Craft, but even that, there's just something a little different about how it feels.

Starting with Red Alert 1 and going forward, mission get more complex. Often times, you start a mission with units but no base, and you must accomplish objectives using these limited means before being given a construction yard. It gives missions variety and gives the player a sense of progression and accomplishment.

Imagine a mission where you are given a commando with some support units, and your objective is to go and cripple a small base. You navigate a map, take out some units using various stragegy, all the while a mix of moody or upbeat music plays, then you reach the base a cripple it. At that moment, the map expands greatly, you are given the objective to destroy the real enemy base, and you are given a contruction yard to accomplish that.

That moment, right there, is like moving on from foreplay to the good stuff. What succeeds the infiltration mission is great by itself, but is enhanced by the infiltration mission. It's just good mission design. And you get to experience that with the addition of a cool stories told through neat FMVs.

The Westwood games all share the same DNA, but all have a different signature, if we could call it that. C&C1 and Red Alert have a mix of atmospheric and frantic tone, while Tiberian Sun leans more into the atmospheric and moody, and while Red Alert 2 leans more into the frantic and adrenaline rush.

If you want to give the franchise a shot (and I greatly recommend that you do), you are in luck because you have several free options at your disposal:

OpenRA -- OpenRA is a fan remake of three Westwood games that were made freeware by EA years ago: Dune 2000, C&C1 and Red Alert 1. The devs behind it are using a brand new open-source engine that offers modern features, rebalanced units, and it just runs better than the old games. The game actually still plays superior to the new remaster for these reasons. The single-player campaigns are not complete yet, and they are missing connective tissue between their missions, but what's there is solid. You can get OpenRA here.

Tiberian Sun -- Tiberian Sun was also made freeware back in 2010 by EA. Fans have taken it and modified it to run on modern systems. It's the complete game. You can get it here.

I recommend you give Tiberian Sun a shot first. It's more modern and elaborate in its design than the first two games. If you want to try the first two games, go with Red Alert first. It's more elaborate and better-designed than the first game.

Last edited:

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
finished the soviet and nod campaign and loved both, great stuff really. I completely underestimated these games and they actually have good mission design. I remembered them as super simple, but there is a lot of interesting variety and challenges. the cutscenes are so good. I wish we'd get a new c&c, I remember loving c&c 3, I might just give that one another go.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been trying to beat NOD 11A for hours and just have no idea what to do. This seems impossible!

• The commando is practically useless because GDI will just randomly call in an airstrike and kill him
  • The two boats going back and forth in the river across the middle keep randomly having an impossible long range which lets them take out my units even if they're tucked way back
  • By the time I start taking out the guard towers using my artillery from the bottom half of the map, so many other units start pouring in that it's impossible for my engineers to find their way in
  • I tried taking out those units with my artillery too, but then two more airstrike planes randomly bombed everything I had at the bottom of the map

How are people supposed to beat this?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these missions are cruel as fuck. Covert Ops GDI 3, just as im getting set up, they send in a group of flame tanks that fuck up my 2 advanced guard towers and normal ones leaving me fucked.

And to think I somehow completed these on a bloody playstation.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to beat NOD 11A for hours and just have no idea what to do. This seems impossible!

• The commando is practically useless because GDI will just randomly call in an airstrike and kill him
  • The two boats going back and forth in the river across the middle keep randomly having an impossible long range which lets them take out my units even if they're tucked way back
  • By the time I start taking out the guard towers using my artillery from the bottom half of the map, so many other units start pouring in that it's impossible for my engineers to find their way in
  • I tried taking out those units with my artillery too, but then two more airstrike planes randomly bombed everything I had at the bottom of the map

I actually beat the mission earlier today and didn't have much of a trouble. I don't remember the precise specifics of what I did, but basically, when I captured the base with my engineers, the first things I built were a Hand of Nod and a Turret. I put a couple of rocket soldiers behind the turret so they can assist it in destroying vehicules, while I was using flamethrowers in duos to take care of the infantry (only use flamethrowers in pairs, as any more and some will get hurt by their own fire. It's also not necessary to have more than two per group, as they kill infantry super quickly).

I still have my saves, so I'll go take a screenshot for you to show you what my base looked like early on. Just give me a couple of minutes, I'm doing laundry.

EDIT:
Ok, I forgot that there was a bug in 11a from which I greatly benefited lol:

9RxWO7Y.jpg

The GDI infantry are somehow trying to attack my units on the south side of the river, which is blocking the tanks from entering my base.

Anyways, 11b is actually pretty much the same. I got swarmed as soon as I captured the base. What I did is what I described above: built a turret for the vehicules, had three rocket soldiers behind it to assist it, and I used flame guys in pairs to take care of the infantry. I was able to defeat the wave of enemies, afterwhich I built a second refinery and played the mission regularly.

Last edited:

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Underrated aspect of this game is the branching missions. I just did the havoc mission but blew up the wrong structure so I got a different mission.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Things my 12 year old self never did because never thought of it: build 2 x refineries from the off. EZ MODE.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through both campaigns at the same time you can see the improvement they made in the short time between games. C&C1 has a lot more missions where it feels like the winning strategy has few alternative options and your best quick saving through it in case the pathfinding or unpredictable AI bullshit or just plain cheating screws you over.

With Nod mission 11 I found it you really have to rush into the base as soon as you take out the towers as shooting them seemed to trigger the AI to wake up. Also you absolutely must make sure no one shoots at a harvester on the way to the base or GDI will dispatch a force to deal with you. Once I had the base my priority was to get an Obelisk of light up in the corner as every enemy troop has to pass it. It's also a magnet for airstrikes but should survive them to be repaired. From then on I had room to breathe and build up a force and add another OoL for defence.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
What does the crate on Nod 8 next to the Orca platforms do? I can't seem to find anything about it online.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying this remaster at every chance I got, it's a love letter to fans and it feels great to play this game that kicked my ass when I was 12 after hardening my skin with modern RTS games.
That said, the way the AI does not follow the same rules that you do is a bit frustrating. Having a turret built right after destroying it without any other building around feels unfair, and that last GDI mission with the
über-nuke drop and the 2 enemy construction yards
was something else. That said, it was very satisfying to drop that last ion cannon.

After GDI, I'm going for the Soviet campaign. Then it'll be Nod, and finally the Allies. Damn these games are good!
That one was fine for me because they managed to miss 95% of my base, both times.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mainly played TW so Nod being grey has been weird for me tbh
Yep. OpenRA fixed this actually. Here's how it looks there:

LxgRg1u.jpg

RE5yozs.jpg

I've asked CFE in the workshop comments to put an option in his mod to make the Nod units red. Hopefully he does it!

Oh by the way, everyone needs to install CFE's patch for Tiberian Dawn. It brings so many quality-of-lifes that are customizable, such as harvester auto-regening their health up to 50% just like it is in future installments, the ability to build buildings 1 space away from current buildings (just like in RA), better pathfinding, attack-move, etc. Just search for it in the workshop. If you sort the mods by most popular of all time, it should be the first one in the list lol.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I think the first really major mods we're going to see sooner or later will be 1: Bringing over the majority of OpenRA functionality and balance changes for both games, and 2: A DTA style mashup mod bringing the 4 different factions together into a single game. I'd really look forward to that since DTA is built around the TS engine with a lot of hardcoded limitations of its own so you won't see stuff like the Iron Curtain, Chronosphere, airstrikes etc.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'll check out the CFE mod thanks for the tip!

You know what would be a cool mod, and im not even the biggest fan of this universe, G.I Joe.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018

Presumably you've done this now, or given up, but I'll reply anyway.

I did this mission wrong because I didn't realise I had units on the other side of the river! I rushed the base with my infantry to draw fire from the guard towers, then the engineers ran through to capture stuff. I built an obelisk straight away to take out the guard towers, boats, and anything that came at me. I only noticed the army on the other side of the river when it got hit by an airstrike. I almost gave up at that point, but decided to keep going and defeat the main GDI base. I destroyed everything except the Orca pad which I captured to build a load of Orcas, and then used them to kill everything south of the river.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'd forgotten how utterly shithouse the Nod campaign was. Like half or more of missions have no base building, and the missions that do have base building have barely any tiberium. Then add the fact that nods units are trash and it's just a miserable experience.

Well at least it's over, onto Red Alert.