• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I'm suddenly not able to queue building units. Is this a bug or is it restricted sometimes? I've been able to do it every mission until now. It's the GDI mission after the commando mission.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any patch/mod option for zoom in Tiberian Sun? I installed the freeware last week, but without zoom it is really heard to play, even in 1080p or window mode or whatever else is possible with the normal version ;)

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing through the ant missions in RA while going through the original C&C, definitely having more joy with them compared to when I was younger!

Really hope they give Tiberian Sun and RA2 the same treatment. RA2 could just have a digital rerelease and general spit with a polish for modern PCs/monitors and I'd be happy.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017

That's some praise from the title alone. Will watch shortly.

Hmm I actually had quite a few slowdowns and some stutters trying Skirmish mode against an AI. But maybe that was pathfinding stalling out again?
Bit of a shame that the Skirmish AI in Red Alert also has no idea whatsoever that water units exist. It will not build any.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Hmm I actually had quite a few slowdowns and some stutters trying Skirmish mode against an AI. But maybe that was pathfinding stalling out again?
Bit of a shame that the Skirmish AI in Red Alert also has no idea whatsoever that water units exist. It will not build any.
You on an SSD? I honestly have almost never tested games not on an SSD for the channel. Probably since every rig I have had since 2010 has had an SSD as the OS and "active game" drive.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn!
Although you can totally tell which elements of their gameplay seem dated nowadays, the games themselves remain insanely addictive. I can't stop playing.
Each mission, especially the hard ones, are like 2D puzzles for which you have to try out different tactics until you find their solution.
The fact that you can jump easily between the games, the campaigns and the expansion maps helps immensely in keeping the experience fresh. There's always something new to try out when you start feeling burnt out. You definitely shouldn't play everything "in order".
The cherry on top is of course the care that went into the remastering process itself. So, even if Starcraft and Warcraft 3 are for most players better *games*, they are not better *remasters*. Going from 320x200 resolution to this, is just astounding.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
You on an SSD? I honestly have almost never tested games not on an SSD for the channel. Probably since every rig I have had since 2010 has had an SSD as the OS and "active game" drive.
No I thought an old game like that would be fine on my 6TB WD Black. I will try again on an SSD. But it really felt quite ugly at times with the framerate.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I get around to replaying C&C, this will be the way I do it. Really looking forward to seeing what the modding community does with the source code.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I thought an old game like that would be fine on my 6TB WD Black. I will try again on an SSD. But it really felt quite ugly at times with the framerate.

I imagine the 4K assets, despite the game being 2D, put a bit of a strain on ye olde hard drives.

What game speed is everyone running this at? Finding I keep adjusting it based on whats happening. Default in the middle of the action, but when I am just building my army, warp speed max.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I imagine the 4K assets, despite the game being 2D, put a bit of a strain on ye olde hard drives.

What game speed is everyone running this at? Finding I keep adjusting it based on whats happening. Default in the middle of the action, but when I am just building my army, warp speed max.
Normal is all right, but in limited units scenarios I slow stuff down to a crawl, because micro becomes paramount.

Oct 28, 2017
Well damn!
Although you can totally tell which elements of their gameplay seem dated nowadays, the games themselves remain insanely addictive. I can't stop playing.
Each mission, especially the hard ones, are like 2D puzzles for which you have to try out different tactics until you find their solution.

I think this is why I love these games so much more compared to other RTS's. Other games you can usually just overwhelm them with units but Tiberium Dawn in particularly is about using your limited resources to defeat the enemy base.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I've just realized that the original didn't have difficulty levels. That explains... a lot lol
You get some nasty nerfs on your units on hard.
Had to sandbag off like half the map to finish GDI 8. No matter what else I tried, it was simply never enough. I still ended up losing enough civilians, that even one more dead would have lost me the mission

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I also got stuttering when running the game off my HDD which was fixed by moving the game to my SSD.

I'm a bit surprised by it as that must mean it's continuously unloading and loading data (probably textures). I'd think all of that could be stored in memory without unloading.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
I also got stuttering when running the game off my HDD which was fixed by moving the game to my SSD.

I'm a bit surprised by it as that must mean it's continuously unloading and loading data (probably textures). I'd think all of that could be stored in memory without unloading.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought I was going nuts seeing stutter in that skirmish map I played.
On a 9900KS at 5.0GHz and 64GB RAM. It is a bit sad, all that modern hardware and they cannot make the game run stutterfree on "just" a HDD WD Black. I get that it is 4K sprites, but still. It was not even a lot of mayhem on screen, maybe a dozen units in total.
I feel sometimes the art of optimizing is completely lost in modern times vs. the game they remastered. C&C probably was optimized to squeeze the last bit of performance out of a 486 DX2 66 with 4GB RAM.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On a 9900KS at 5.0GHz and 64GB RAM. It is a bit sad, all that modern hardware and they cannot make the game run stutterfree on "just" a HDD WD Black. I get that it is 4K sprites, but still. it was not even a lot of mayhem on screen, maybe a dozen units in total.
Side question: why do you have an HDD in a computer with such beefy specs?

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This bit was nuts to me as a kid

ezgif-2-b3f76bc7921f71klw.gif

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, you get Tanya if you go all the way south in the "disable the nukes" mission? Oooooops.
Did it without her anyway and without losing a single unit. That grenadier room took like 10 minutes in game though and lots of reloads.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
I've just realized that the original didn't have difficulty levels. That explains... a lot lol
You get some nasty nerfs on your units on hard.
Had to sandbag off like half the map to finish GDI 8. No matter what else I tried, it was simply never enough. I still ended up losing enough civilians, that even one more dead would have lost me the mission

Let me know your strategy for gdi mission 11 on hard if you beat it because It's a real tough one.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I figured out the game can't figure out sandbags. I built a full wall of it on one side of the base with no gaps and the Nod army just gradually appeared there, sitting and doing nothing. Gradually built a line of tanks up the wall and had them all move forward at once then blew his whole army to kingdom come. This was mission 11 I think. Cheap I guess but not my fault their pathfinding is limited.

Enemy infantry is also none too careful about Tiberium fields, I've baited them into running around in circles on it and just dying without a shot fired several times.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
What's the trick to beating submarines in Red Alert? I see people saying that the Allies have naval superiority, and insofar as they can sit off the coast and fire into bases that's true, but subs seem to chew through my naval units without a ton of constant micro-management to dodge the torpedoes (and the cruisers, which are "strong against submarines," can take out maybe 1.5 subs before succumbing).

I finally beat mission 7 after a few false starts where I ran out of money (don't start fights on the ore fields, you'll blow up all your future funding). Taking out the main base was actually fairly easy after I pushed past that damned Tesla coil and got to the power plants, but mopping up the off-screen submarine pens was a right pain. Is there a strat for this mission that doesn't involve taking out the big base? The Tesla coils seem positioned such that you can't really sustain a naval-only assault.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the trick to beating submarines in Red Alert? I see people saying that the Allies have naval superiority, and insofar as they can sit off the coast and fire into bases that's true, but subs seem to chew through my naval units without a ton of constant micro-management to dodge the torpedoes (and the cruisers, which are "strong against submarines," can take out maybe 1.5 subs before succumbing).

I finally beat mission 7 after a few false starts where I ran out of money (don't start fights on the ore fields, you'll blow up all your future funding). Taking out the main base was actually fairly easy after I pushed past that damned Tesla coil and got to the power plants, but mopping up the off-screen submarine pens was a right pain. Is there a strat for this mission that doesn't involve taking out the big base? The Tesla coils seem positioned such that you can't really sustain a naval-only assault.
I think the main answer is almost always power through and take out the base. Set up an economy boom and 20 medium tanks will handle most of the base building missions (last mission will involve softening the main base with 3 sets of 20 until you're able to power through their Tesla coils and tanks). Run about 10 destroyers to clear a landing zone and help clear the seas once the Tesla coils are down.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As far as I can tell, the Allied side is just completely inferior to the Soviet side in Red Alert. Even their advantages (the Navy) aren't that great because the Soviet submarines are so much more cost effective. The only true counter to the Soviet sub is the Longbow helicopter. I know it's an old game but it kinda baffles me how Red Alert became so popular back in the day when it's so terribly balanced for multiplayer. The Allies are inferior to the Soviets in every facet of the game except for Infantry and Navy. Infantry is pretty useless in the original Red Alert and the Navy is only an advantage on maps with lots of water.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
They should have at least swapped the bunkers for the flame thrower defense points and the heavy tank for the medium tank. I don't really understand why they made the allies so weak.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a weird bug online where my tanks couldn't leave the factories even though I didn't block them anymore. Ended up having to sell all of them (was red alert) and build again for it to work again. Got the same bug later in the match but I didn't have a constructions yard at that point so I couldn't sell them and rebuild at that time. Match ended a while after that in a disconnect. Super weird.

Anyways, remember to check out the c&c era discord. Bot can assign you factions and we're working on leader boards so you can keep track of your online progress. Also a good place to get some ERA games going.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
They should have at least swapped the bunkers for the flame thrower defense points and the heavy tank for the medium tank. I don't really understand why they made the allies so weak.

The factions were basically designed around the lore first. Allies were meant to be the scrappy underdog defying the Soviet war machine.

Both TD and RA1 came out years before competitive RTS gaming had really taken off, and within the genre Westwood were one of the only developers who made actually asymmetric factions at the time instead of having mostly mirrored units with a different coat of paint.

Feb 10, 2018
Is there a way to disable the "unit ready" voices ? But just that ? Because if I disable the annoucer voice, it won't tell me when I'm attacked, right ?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to disable the "unit ready" voices ? But just that ? Because if I disable the annoucer voice, it won't tell me when I'm attacked, right ?
Correct. That's the only way, unfortunately. I did it because my announcer voice became bugged (delayed), and honestly the only announcement I miss is "silos needed". You can usually still tell when you're being attacked by the sound of firearms (if it's fairly close to your POV).

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why they made the allies so weak.

They sort of work like Nod. You're supposed to be tricky instead of just overpowering your opponent. Too bad that the pathing is so terrible that any time you try to be tricky you have a chance of just falling flat on your face as the units do something stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
Frank does some of the best video game music. The universe at war soundtrack is full of bangers too ! I'm still sad we never got a sequel to that game.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Nod Mission 8 absolutely sucks. First mission that feels actively unfair as opposed to difficult.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I just lost my Red Alert savegame for all the missions. I still have my own private saves, but the campaign missions and everything else is gone as if I started the game for the first time.

Anyone know a solution?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
When replaying the Tiberian Dawn campaigns through a modern lens it's hard not to fantasize about what a modern reboot of the C&C universe would be like. The broader geopolitical predictions turned out to be fairly accurate. You can easily see Nod running massive troll farms and misinformation campaigns to sow disruption across the world, and GDI being superficially presented as the more familiar and cozy good guys but when you really get down to it, it's just the post-WW2 order staggering about trying to assert the status quo in a rapidly destabilizing world.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Let me know your strategy for gdi mission 11 on hard if you beat it because It's a real tough one.

I set up my base north of the starting point, and closed up the passage further north with sandbags, so I was safe from attacks.
Then I saw that there's a shitload of tiberium in the south-east corner ... I feel like setting up camp there right from the beginning would have made this a lot easier lol