• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think the patch fixed my crashing. I went ahead and started GDI on easy for the nostalgia. I noticed it's still a pain in the ass to select units that are close to each other because the cursor area is massive. Really wish they'd fix that.

Otherwise this is a good time. I cannot wait to spend some rainy days with RA skirmishes against multiple enemy AI's on a custom map I built to isolate them from me or force them through choke points. I don't care if it's cheesing, I just love playing out fictional battles of my own creation.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw that someone put out a pathfinding mod which uses some variant of A*

DISCORD LINK

I setup a discord for anyone interested in a cnc era community ! I'm not sure how to integrate it so you have to reply to view it though, so for now, send me a PM
What does "some variant of A*" mean?

Also, do mods disable anything? Like the gallery unlocks or Steam achievements?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
My video should be coming out... tomorrow I think (my coverage got a bit delayed due to work obligations on Bioshock earlier in the week). But this is probably my favourite remaster ever. I love it, dearly.

Also, playing the game again I am reminded how much kiting is core gameplay here to win many missions. That and splitting up your troops and using torrent of fire tactics to kill off the most dangerous things first. Really great gameplay all these years later. Genius game.

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say the same thing. Very nice start up. So far really enjoying the nostalgia but I forgot had bad the original graphics were. EA did a great job remastering this, keep it up.

Ha!

When I started the first mission and it starts with the old graphics I immediately paused thinking I hadn't set the upgraded graphics. Then recommenced and realised they do that just to show you how much they've upgraded the graphics.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to believe this comes from the same company that is responsible for Command & Conquer 4.

That said I really should start making a habit of saving often...

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Not long after I had the crash when I tried launching it from Steam again it had the small little "updating" box appear for a few seconds before it launched. I just assume it was a small patch considering the save sync usually happens after closing a game. Who knows though, maybe there was no patch.

I have a really old/odd system setup though, so it might just be me:
FX-8350
Sabertooth 990fx r1
16gb DDR3
RX 570 8GB on PCIe 2.0
Win 10 1909 (or whatever is the latest before the 20xx update)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Outside of the stage that requires the player to defend civilians, I don't think anything in this game is obtuse at all. I also think you're making these games seem way harder than they are. I'm not good competitively at these games, as I have said above. I have ADD, and that 100% affects my APM. Despite that, I have never found these games to be too hard or even frustrating (at least, on the normal difficulty). For each mission, I take the time to establish defenses in a way that can handle the enemy AI with minimal interferance from my part.

I just beat GDI mission 9, which took me maybe an hour. This was the point of entry to my base:

smokHDE.jpg

I set it up as soon as I could, and all I had to do after that was watch as the AI would send their units to their slaughtering. I barely had to manage it.
Maybe i just suck at RTS but for me these games for me are rather hard. Note that i don't have ADD or to my knowledge any other disease that could impair my ability to play the game.

In total war i pause slowly evaluate my decisions play for a few seconds then pause. I also only need to focus on 20-40 units in 3-4 parts of the map.

While in C&C i have my army in one place, i have to see the defense of my base and keep an eye on the economy all at the same time.

Games like Ck2, stellaris, endless legend also give much more type and info if you are going to win a conflict or not. in C&C ic ans end 50 untis to a base and have 0 knowledge if they can win a combat or not. I also don't know if am losing or wining a combat at any given time while most other strategies give an indication if you are wining or not

Personally i find it much harder than all other type of strategy games; mostly because your decisions have to be made under pressure with no way to alliviate that pressure if you are overwhelmed. In a way my point is that RTS require a certain level of pratice and skill. In no way can you win just because you have a good strategy like in other strategies games; you need the ability to execute it.

that said maybe i jsut suck at RTS.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
My video should be coming out... tomorrow I think (my coverage got a bit delayed due to work obligations on Bioshock earlier in the week). But this is probably my favourite remaster ever. I love it, dearly.

Also, playing the game again I am reminded how much kiting is core gameplay here to win many missions. That and splitting up your troops and using torrent of fire tactics to kill off the most dangerous things first. Really great gameplay all these years later. Genius game.
Can't wait!

I'm wondering if you're going to bring up something which I feel is key to this remaster being so amazing - the fact that they so elegantly took all the legacy gameplay and game behaviors and wrapped it in something which is entirely modernized to the core.

So many other remasters - even those which overall do a great job - are often still just left with the obvious skeleton of something old. Maybe they'll update the assets and some of the behaviors and they'll make it run on modern OS's and hardware, but it's still mostly the same thing under the covers.

But for this collection, the game is fundamentally a modern game to the core. Modernized handling of graphics and audio options. The UI is completely rebuilt from the ground-up. The achievements system and the system for unlocking extras is implemented pretty much perfectly. The settings for audio, video, and controls give it tons of flexibility. It's fully integrated with Steamworks.

What's so exciting about this for me is not just that the remaster itself is great, but it seems like they've potentially built a solid framework to put other remasters in too.

I've followed this game since it was announced over a year ago and all they really showed was the visual and audio upgrades. But the whole package is so much more impressive than I ever expected it to be.

Oct 25, 2017
What does "some variant of A*" mean?

Also, do mods disable anything? Like the gallery unlocks or Steam achievements?
A* is a pathfinding system that has been used a lot in unity amongst other things. The guy wrote that it was a "simple" version which probably means that it isn't as advanced as what you would find in other games, but still a big step up (I would imagine). I haven't tested it myself yet.

I built a bot for the discord. You can get a link in the OT or by replying to this post

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
So far it can do some simple things like assigning you to a faction but I'm thinking it would be neat to add stats and other information. Hope we can build some community around it and get some games going !

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Ha!

When I started the first mission and it starts with the old graphics I immediately paused thinking I hadn't set the upgraded graphics. Then recommenced and realised they do that just to show you how much they've upgraded the graphics.
Yes, same. I thought I paid for this? Then I realized the spacebar allows you to quickly go from old to new, very cool.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Is it rude if I link my own mods here?

I made a few quick mods:
I say "quick" but I spent a lot of time finding the relevant things to change. With the building mod, I spent a lot of time editing related code until I finally realized... oh, I'm changing code which is left in from the original game, but isn't used. When I finally found the new version of the code, it was a 10-minute change.

Same thing with the colours. I spent some time editing code related to colours, only to realize I was editing code only relevant to the original game (this code is used, but only when original graphics are shown). And then I figured the remastered graphics use colours which are defined in XML files, and once I found it it was a super quick change.

It's fun to mod, but I dunno how much I'll personally make. I'd personally love to see an overhaul with the pathfinding, but mostly how units move as a group. It's a bit frustrating to move a group and then have parts of it move around the map because it thinks the units in front are obstacles.

And one big pipe dream is seeing coop added to the campaign, but that would be a huge undertaking and possibly completely impossible (right now you can't make any multiplayer mods).

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm playing the NOD campaign and have no idea how to handle flame soldiers. How do people keep them from destroying themselves and the rest of your army?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I'm playing the NOD campaign and have no idea how to handle flame soldiers. How do people keep them from destroying themselves and the rest of your army?
Have them be separate from your army control group away from your main infantry. They require a lot of micro to even keep them away from eachother. High maintanence unit, but the really wreck infantry.. and buildings even.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A* is a pathfinding system that has been used a lot in unity amongst other things. The guy wrote that it was a "simple" version which probably means that it isn't as advanced as what you would find in other games, but still a big step up (I would imagine). I haven't tested it myself yet.

I built a bot for the discord. You can get a link in the OT or by replying to this post

[Hidden content]

So far it can do some simple things like assigning you to a faction but I'm thinking it would be neat to add stats and other information. Hope we can build some community around it and get some games going !
Alright, thanks.

Is it rude if I link my own mods here?

I made a few quick mods:
I say "quick" but I spent a lot of time finding the relevant things to change. With the building mod, I spent a lot of time editing related code until I finally realized... oh, I'm changing code which is left in from the original game, but isn't used. When I finally found the new version of the code, it was a 10-minute change.

Same thing with the colours. I spent some time editing code related to colours, only to realize I was editing code only relevant to the original game (this code is used, but only when original graphics are shown). And then I figured the remastered graphics use colours which are defined in XML files, and once I found it it was a super quick change.

It's fun to mod, but I dunno how much I'll personally make. I'd personally love to see an overhaul with the pathfinding, but mostly how units move as a group. It's a bit frustrating to move a group and then have parts of it move around the map because it thinks the units in front are obstacles.

And one big pipe dream is seeing coop added to the campaign, but that would be a huge undertaking and possibly completely impossible (right now you can't make any multiplayer mods).
Thank you for making the 1-tile gap mod. After playing OpenRA for so long instead of the base game, the lack of possible gap between building was really messing with me lol.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Ok, I was suspicious but Soviet mission 7 confirmed to me that on Hard, the enemy units are faster than you and as such I don't know how to outrun them. That's the nuclear reactor stage and I forgot waht I need to do and in waht order. I'll probably have to run throgh it n casual to learn the route.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
holy shit there are already 1200 mods on steam workshop. That is insane.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, some of these missions are just pure bullshit. Like the 2nd to last Nod mission that I just did. At first you have to dodge two mammoth tanks just to get your base built, then after the tiny field next to your base is depleted you have to send your harvesters half across the map to fields that are guarded by - you guessed it - more mammoth tanks. And you have to do this while surviving the waves the AI sends at your base and uses napalm strike and ion cannon on cooldown.

Gotta micro your heart out of your rocket troopers and bikes to survive. And hope that the pathing doesn't glitch out.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this via Origin Premiere. Never played the original C & C before (red alert fan), been having fun going through it. Looking at all the mods coming to the Steam Workshop, I might have to go grab it on Steam.

jads87

Feb 18, 2019
Looking forward to the DF coverage. Soms of these missions are kicking my ass. Did a complete playthrough last year, the new mechanics are certainly making it a bit easier. But stil, looking at you GDI mission 8....

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Does the tile gap mod just keep you from putting buildings right next to each other? Or can you put them right next to each other but it allows things to pass in between?

I don't like the idea of being forced to space out my base artificially.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an attack move mod? No attack move is the one thing that frustrates me.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this again after years, and had forgotten how much both the original and Red Alert campaigns relied on scripted commando missions with a handful of infantry or 1 APC. Always kinda hated them. When played on hard they rely on spamming the SAVE button at each bridge, dog or group of trees you want to pass. 1 enemy tank and it smoothly squishes all you have and the mission is GAME OVER. The scatter key X does not work for this either.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Does the tile gap mod just keep you from putting buildings right next to each other? Or can you put them right next to each other but it allows things to pass in between?

I don't like the idea of being forced to space out my base artificially.
You can still have buildings hug each other with the mod. They can be 0 tiles apart or 1 tile apart.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
The good old harvester AI....it drove be a bit crazy last evening. River devided two land areas and the one harvester from the base below tried to enter the upper Tiberium Refinery, sadly he cannot swim and the one from the area above wanted to enter the Refinery below, again he is not able to cross rivers by magic. So what did both do like 10 times during that match? They enjoyed the river, looking at each other, no money coming it...awww so cute...
lol

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if it would be possible to make COOP "campaign" missions using the map editor?

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I love how they remastered nearly everything, yet it still feels like it came from the mid 90s.

Fantastic remaster, they need to do this type of remaster for a lot more 90s PC EA games.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Kind of disappointed the "Bonus" music tracks muffle all the voices in the songs? Seems like it kind of defeats the point of being a fresh high-fidelity remix. I get they're bonus, but the direction confuses me.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of disappointed the "Bonus" music tracks muffle all the voices in the songs? Seems like it kind of defeats the point of being a fresh high-fidelity remix. I get they're bonus, but the direction confuses me.

Huh? Are you talking about the Tiberian Sons bonus songs? Those are full band recreations so yes they are going to sound different. If you want the regular songs in high fidelity choose "Remastered".

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Huh? Are you talking about the Tiberian Sons bonus songs? Those are full band recreations so yes they are going to sound different. If you want the regular songs in high fidelity choose "Remastered".

Yeah, I know they're not the remastered tracks. I just don't understand the creative decision of muffling the vocals.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the GDI campaign on normal. It was very challenging and most missions felt like an accomplishment to complete.

Time to get noddy.

Jun 17, 2018

Totally agreed, I've played a few RTS games over the years but coming back to this was special. I thought it would be a pure nostalgia rush and I'd drop it after a couple of hours. Hell no, this is the best RTS game I've ever played and I can't wait to play more.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Modern games have made you guys soft. It's not that hard, you've just gotten bad over time.

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
The difference between Normal and Hard difficulty is quite something. It seems that the AI fires way faster than your troops on Hard. It requires quite the micromanagement to counter this, like baiting.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I just finished the GDI campaign on normal. It was very challenging and most missions felt like an accomplishment to complete.

Time to get noddy.

I am curious if my childhood tactic of sandbags+obelisks will be at all useful. I missed so many tactics as a kid (mainly kiting, actual rock/paper/scissor usage, splitting my artillery and grenadiers from my CQC units, etc). I was terrible at this as a kid, haha.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It seems an APC full of engineers is the solution to a lot of these maps.

It's just a case of saving the game and trying out different entry points.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, i definitely got worse with getting older. Little me had no problem playing C&C 1 on normal, now me can't cope with the constant enemy unit swarming. Had to restart on easy.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Hadn't played any C&C before, but having a blast with this. Still trying to figure out the best tactics when playing the Soviet side in Red Alert. I also heard that the best games of the series are Red Alert 2 and Generals, are they worth getting as part of the Ultimate Collection? It goes for like 7-8 euros In cdkeys.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Modern games have made you guys soft. It's not that hard, you've just gotten bad over time.

Yep this is true. I've had to knock 1 of the limited Unit NOD missions down to Easy but thankfully I've been able to play the rest on Normal. C&C is still one of the best RTS games ever, warts and all.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
And now I remember why I cheated my way to the endgame with sandbags 25 years ago.

Damn this game is hard, and not necessarily for the good reasons (pathfinding!!)