• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Small thing I never thought about before going in is that on completing a mission the games would ask you pick from several options. In the original you had to remember to save before you finished a mission if you wanted to check out all of them. Now they're just all accessible from the menu when you reach that point, which is awesome.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Small thing I never thought about before going in is that on completing a mission the games would ask you pick from several options. In the original you had to remember to save before you finished a mission if you wanted to check out all of them. Now they're just all accessible from the menu when you reach that point, which is awesome.

It is a great addition - will be great to complete all missions without going through the whole campaign again to reach the mission choices.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
WOW!

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its so weird in German that the Soldiers obviously are Humans this time, but still have Cyborg voicelines. :D But was expected, wasnt viable to redo all voicelines i guess.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
How's the multiplayer?

So far, I've had some issues, but also some successes. From my review:

Setting up skirmishes with friends, meanwhile, was a hit-or-miss proposition ahead of launch. Inviting friends through either Steam or Origin worked most of the time, though roughly one-third of the friend-only matches I tried loading resulted in some glitch, ranging from a mouse cursor disappearing to a match never starting to even a wild crash of visuals on both ends. For the majority of my private matches that loaded, they worked just fine—although in each of these cases, C&C:RC drops the ball on two crucial quality-of-life features: keeping lobbies together after a match ends and letting players cleanly surrender. Your only option is to rage-quit, which C&C:RC responds to by filling empty seats with AI players—which is admittedly welcome for matches containing up to eight players.

If you own the collection on Origin and want to play against Steam friends, or vice versa, you can't send them direct session invites. Your only option is to host a publicly visible game, then tell your cross-platform friend to refresh the public "join" list as quickly as possible to take up any of your session's open slots. C&C:RC does not support closed, password-protected lobbies at this time, which is a bummer. I'm happy a workaround is available at launch, at least, for cross-platform friends willing to jump through hoops, but it feels a little silly for 2020.

More at Ars:

arstechnica.com

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection review: Loving the smell of Tiberium

This 4K-ready return hews tightly to the original games, and that's mostly good news.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I forgot how brutal C&C can be. You can loose like 6 units to a single grenadier which is especially brutal on the "no base" missions

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is fantastic. I also love how the game tracks the difficulty on which you have completed a mission, with a little emblem next to them (it reminds me of generals, which did the same thing). This is going to possibly force me to do all the missions on hard once I'm done with it lol.

So is Red Alert just objectively better than the first game or is it just me
It's not just you; Red Alert is absolutely better in every way than its predecessor.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh man this is fucking great! Love the installation sequence, and the remastered graphics are spot on. Also I think the videos look great considering the original tapes were lost.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'm sure I read somewhere they have to write it's not compatible with Windows 7 because it isn't supported anymore but it does still work.

Ah, thanks for that, i'll try to dig more info then.
edit
Originally posted by @OfficialCnC:
We are not officially supporting Windows 7, but it should run perhaps with some minor issues. For the best experience, we encourage Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Really hope this comes to PS4 or PS5 as I don't have a gaming PC.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is every bit as good as I had hoped it would be. I have been waiting so many years of my adult life for this to finally happen. Boy am I glad I dropped $250 on importing the 2 boxed editions of this.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuck, the intro, the first mission "prompt", THEY'VE NAILED IT.

Edit - Oh man that crispy audio.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, this is fantastic. I also love how the game tracks the difficulty on which you have completed a mission, with a little emblem next to them (it reminds me of generals, which did the same thing). This is going to possibly force me to do all the missions on hard once I'm done with it lol.
Well there's achievements for finishign the campaigns on the hardest difficulty so I'm doing that from the get go. :D

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Between this and AoE2 DE I'm in fucking 90s RTS heaven.

Which brave soul will give me a KKnD remaster next?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Between this and AoE2 DE I'm in fucking 90s RTS heaven.

Which brave soul will give me a KKnD remaster next?
The originals are on GOG, and I think there might be one in the works? Don't quote me on this.

But, I mean, SWINE got an HD remaster, so nothing's impossible.

Edit: I would pay a great deal for a remaster of Empire Earth with beginning-of-last decade-level graphics.

Come on, Activision! Get on that!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Red Alert is better than OG C&C but the latter is still a great game, and has Orcas which were my favorite unit in the franchise back in the day.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I agree that Red Alert is better than OG C&C but the latter is still a great game, and has Orcas which were my favorite unit in the franchise back in the day.
I was obsessed with OG C&C designs, and I still think they're great. The Orca has always been one of my favorite aerial units in any game.

Since I've already derailed, what I really honestly want remastered is Dark Reign, but I have zero faith in Activision even remembering that they own it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GDI mission 4 Reinforce Bialystok continues to be the bane of my existence. I just can't fucking do it. I get my troups to the village, get reinforcements, but I lose too many units in the skirmish against the Nod platoon. In my last try just now, it came down to one grenadier against one light tank. The tank won.

What's the fucking trick for this mission? There's got to be one. Fuck. It really feels like I'm missing some units. Is there a secret second reinforcement unit somewhere?

LionelHutz

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah I can't play the game from Steam at all. It loads up, but when I try to play I get an infinite loading screen.

Red Alert doesn't launch at all.

Any help?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't play the game from Steam at all. It loads up, but when I try to play I get an infinite loading screen.

Any help?
This happened to me when I first tried to boot the game. I fixed it by doing the following:
-rebooted my computer
-used the Steam function "check integrity of files"

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Any help?
i can't troubleshoot anything specific;
But for steam problems do:
  • Verify integrity game cache
  • open steam works redestribuitables and re-install whatever is there.
  • update GPU drivers
  • re-boot PC
Usually doing those resolve 90% of my issues.
Hope they help. (if yo udon't know how to do that post ehre and i'll try to guide you on a step by step )

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing a ton of Total War Warhammer recently so going from a contemporary RTS(esque) to the first CnC is something else. No right click move? No attack/move? Crazy!

I think the game looks crisp as hell though and it's a fun, albeit brain dead, game of attrition!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I was obsessed with OG C&C designs, and I still think they're great. The Orca has always been one of my favorite aerial units in any game.

Since I've already derailed, what I really honestly want remastered is Dark Reign, but I have zero faith in Activision even remembering that they own it.
Dark Reign is still a great game but really needs updated controls, it's very sluggish while also moving incredibly fast, so you can get wrecked by a sudden enemy attack while you're still trying to select units.

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
Feb 27, 2019
Can't wait to fire this up--Red Alert was the first game I ever really got into crazy deep as a kid. Friends and I played it for MONTHS around 1999. I have such fond memories of it, though I never beat the campaigns as they got so hard. Funniest thing is that I didn't realize that the cutscenes were supposed to be campy and silly--I took them completely seriously. So funny to go back to them now.

I really hope that if this sells well that they remaster Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. Tiberian Dawn and RA are great, but I think RA2 in particular is the best of the Westwood-era games. (I know a lot of people agree.) Would be great to have a way to play them easily on Windows 10.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
What's this about the game not having 'move & attack'?
The PS1 version of C&C and Red Alert let you move towards a point while attacking anything on that path. Maybe they are referring to something else?