• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
bTi7gdo.jpg

In exactly 17 days, Command & Conquer is coming back in all its glory. The first two games are important historically, and they are beloved by many. The people at EA and Petroglyph seem to have done a fantastic job remastering them, and I could not be any more excited to finally play them again.

I'd like people to use this thread to discuss anything related to their experiences with these two games and the franchise in general.

As for myself, I have played this series from its first installment. I played C&C1 and Red Alert 1 on the Playstation back in the day, as my family did not have a PC at the time. It didn't matter that the games were super low resolution or that the framerate went down to 1 during long skirmishes (yes, literally 1 frame per second after hours of playing a skirmish mission in Red Alert!). I loved the games still, and I would stick with the franchise until pretty much Red Alert 3. Needless to say, I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

I truly wish that this remastered collection will somehow spark the franchise alive again. I'd love nothing more than new C&C games that offer classic base building and infantry spamming. I really like Starcraft and Age of Empires, but C&C has a distinctive identity and feel to it that just isn't found anywhere else. I miss that.

Regardless of what happens in the future, I know I will be playing C&C Remastered Collection from day 1, and I'll be playing it for a while. I doubt I'll stop until I've unlocked everything it has to offer. I really want to see the behind-the-scenes videos.

What about you?

Cheers

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
So excited. C&C is my favorite RTS series, and the fact that a lot of the original creators are back for this tells me that it's going to be what everyone wanted War3 Remastered to be.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Very excited. Games look nice and i can't wait to jump back into them, especially Red Alert was such a big part in my early teens i'm ready for all the nostalgia.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I played both C&C and Red Alert for the first time in mid 2000s (when the First Decade collection was out). I played bot GDI and NOD campaigns, all of the Allies, and I think about half-way through the Soviets.

Then I burned out. Honestly, I'm not eager to go back. If they remaster Tiberian Sun, RA2 + expansion, or Generals, I'll be all over that. But the originals? I just can't build up any excitement over. The sequels built and surpassed the originals in every conceivable way. There's a variety of options there that just wasn't in the originals. And when it comes to a simple "turtle, then steamroll" , AoE2 is my poison, and has been for almost a decade now.

I might pick up these remasters at some point, but I'm not jumping in at launch day. I'm glad EA is revisiting C&C in a manner that's not a mobile game; but I just can't muster the enthusiasm for the originals.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Day 1 as long as there aren't any major issues. I don't care that much about the GDI/Nod side but Red Alert is one of my ultimate nostalgia games.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I'd only buy a red alert 2 remaster, including Yuri's Revenge of course.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably get it when it releases, loved C&C games. I will wait for reviews and make sure there are no issues like another recent RTS remaster.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be real nice replaying the campaigns again, including the previously console exclusive bonus missions. Not quite sure how the multiplayer is going to pan out with the leaderboards and everything without actually altering any of the balance, since the OG games kind of fall apart as soon as you get into a competitive mindset. We have the OpenRA versions of C&C1 and RA1 which heavily revamp the balance of both games to make them tolerable for competitive play.

I really like Starcraft and Age of Empires, but C&C has a distinctive identity and feel to it that just isn't found anywhere else. I miss that.

What I think makes the C&C formula much more exciting to me than the Blizzard school of design is the philosophy of a really hard rock paper scissor unit/weapon type design across the board with units generally dying really fast to their designated weaknesses. Machine guns mow down infantry, while tanks and rockets usually do negligible damage to them. Commando type units are glass cannons that can oneshot infantry and buildings, etc. All of this makes the combat more lethal and unpredictable, as things can really turn on a dime if someone makes a tiny mistake and leaves a window of opportunity open for the opponent to exploit. I think with Blizzard style games like Starcraft things lean more into snowballing.

I was watching Day9 try and play Generals the other day (which deviates from the standard C&C template but still retains enough of the fundamental design I mentioned above) and having virtually no experience with Command & Conquer it was fun and interesting seeing him try and come to terms with this completely different mindset. "Oh, X oneshots Y? That's so totally broken! I'm just gonna use this one unit and win easily", and then finding out time and time again that it's not quite so simple.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already preordered. I'll play and have fun with it but the Main reason for buying it was so that EA greenlights a RA2 remaster asap.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I had no idea the release date is so close as development kind of flew by on it. Going in with tempered expectations because it's EA. Hope it does well.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
$20 is a steal for both of them with all the expansions and additional missions included.

For those of you who are on the fence because of QoL features found in TS/RA2 most of them have been included here. Multiple queue lanes (infantry, buildings, ground, and air units) vs just 1 queue lane for everything.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's my most anticipated release by quite some margin. The job they've done remaking the assets looks great and I look forward to playing all the missions particularly the ones I missed the first time round.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kinda cheap and lazy that they only decided to release C&C + Red Alert. Red Alert is so functionally similar to the original C&C that it might as well be a reskin.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Can't wait, the old C&C games are still great fun to play and the quality of life improvements should give us another 20 years of fun.

See you online :)

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Very excited, but still waiting on whatever it is that EA will fuck up.

Cautiously optimistic, I guess.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited. I absolutely love the first C&C. Even if there are problems, i'm probably jumping in day one, but it does appear to be shaping up well from what i've seen and read.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited. Will buy the game possibly day one, unless I read about any serious issues.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really happy that we'll get the remaster, also at a resonable price for two games, yeah it's a Remaster not a Remake, but I'm fine with it. If it sells good enough or hopefully even well, we'll surely get more Remasters of C&C and maybe even a new one (though I don't have hopes for it). I always liked the classic RTS games and sadly they are basically completly gone. Was a big fan of the whole (well nearly whole) series, so I'm looking forward to the Remaster.

That reminds me, I still got some money in my Steam wallet, so I'll just go ahead and actually pre-order an EA game ;)

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm waiting for Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge. My all time favorite C&C games.

Will buy the current remasters in a future sale.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt I'll get it.

I bought the "Ultimate Collection" or whatever it's called a long freaking time ago for butt-cheap. While it's like... pillar-boxed and the remastered version probably looks and runs way better, I think if I want to play Command and Conquer I'll just play whatever from what was included in that pack.
69BATHz.png

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, and red alert is my fucking jam.

hope this leads to red alert 2 getting the same treatment

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for the hope that it does well and they remaster Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge.
I played both C&C and Red Alert for the first time in mid 2000s (when the First Decade collection was out). I played bot GDI and NOD campaigns, all of the Allies, and I think about half-way through the Soviets.

Then I burned out. Honestly, I'm not eager to go back. If they remaster Tiberian Sun, RA2 + expansion, or Generals, I'll be all over that. But the originals? I just can't build up any excitement over. The sequels built and surpassed the originals in every conceivable way. There's a variety of options there that just wasn't in the originals. And when it comes to a simple "turtle, then steamroll" , AoE2 is my poison, and has been for almost a decade now.

I might pick up these remasters at some point, but I'm not jumping in at launch day. I'm glad EA is revisiting C&C in a manner that's not a mobile game; but I just can't muster the enthusiasm for the originals.
I'd only buy a red alert 2 remaster, including Yuri's Revenge of course.
Fucking extremely. But I'm even more excited for hopefully Tiberian Sun and RA2 remastered.
Already preordered. I'll play and have fun with it but the Main reason for buying it was so that EA greenlights a RA2 remaster asap.
The only way I can more excited is if they are going to release Tiberian Sun and RA2 next.
Beyond excited right now but I will be bummed if this does not lead to the superior TibSun/RA2 remaster.
There's no Red Alert 2 included? Not interested if so, that's the only one I've played.
Very excited. Those two games were a big part of my middle/high school years, and I hope it leads to this later on:

wRuArBR.jpg
I'm waiting for Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge. My all time favorite C&C games.

Will buy the current remasters in a future sale.
Looks great, and red alert is my fucking jam.

hope this leads to red alert 2 getting the same treatment

Oh I am willing to bet that if this game sells enough, Tib Sun and RA2 remasters will be greenlighted very quickly. So for 20$US, y'all better buy it! It's a steal!

Any idea how demanding this will be for laptops to run?
From the Steam page:

System Requirements

Minimum:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400 @ 2.4ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 or ATI Radeon HD 5570
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 32 GB available space

Recommended:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K or AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or ATI Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 32 GB available space

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Personally I am extremely excited, I'm still disappointed about where that franchise ended up and have the originals forever branded in my affections... That said., it is EA and I have been hurt before..

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Giddy as fuck. The two of some of best RTS games of all time? Absolutely amazing, I can't wait!

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to this with tempered expectations.

Loved these games when they first came out.

Still cannot beat the legendary Tim Curry in Red Alert for me though

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Slightly.

Edit: Oh right, it's only 20 bucks. Slightly more excited now, maybe even getting at launch.