• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Posted on the C&C subreddit:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

Positive momentum continues and earlier this month we completed our first production milestone. This milestone included several key improvements to Tiberian Dawn, most notably delivering our first Campaign mission to full Alpha quality. This means all the mission visuals are now showcasing the 4k assets from Lemon Sky, and the mission can be completed with all the core gameplay mechanics. I'll admit when playing this full mission experience, the game started to transport me back to when I first played C&C, and I hope it does the same for all of you when the game is released.
However, one of the more exciting accomplishments of this milestone actually had nothing to do with Tiberian Dawn. That's because we were able to get Red Alert playable for the first time. We are now able to load Red Alert missions, and the game is already being populated with several of the remastered visual assets. That's because even though Red Alert just became playable in the software, Lemon Sky has actually been creating assets for Red Alert over the past several months. So to celebrate this first step for Red Alert, we thought it would be fun to share a preview for one of the most iconic Red Alert units - the Tesla Tank.

In the same fashion as our approach of the structures, our primary goal for units has been to maintain the authenticity of the original in-game asset. In an effort to take advantage of the 4k resolution, many of our earlier unit concepts included extra widgets and details, but we often found this compromised the unit's readability at camera game height. So we continued to iterate, and over the months we've begun to hone in on these elements, and feel like the Tesla Tank here strikes a good balance between readability and those added details. Of note, we only interpreted one Tesla ring from the legacy in-game asset, but there's already been a healthy debate with the Community Council whether the Tesla ball should have two rings to match the cinematic reference. Perhaps we can get feedback here from the greater community to help decide this unit's final look : )

Thanks for your ongoing support and participation, and looking forward to sharing more details as both games now become more playable.

Cheers,
Jim Vessella
Jimtern

6bykrbwduha31.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a sense it sucks that franchises like Command & Conquer and Warcraft (the RTS game, not the MMOs or cardgames) only live on through remasters because we either didn't get any sequel in a while or they sucked balls.

But boy it's gonna feel great to play through classic C&C games again. It's impressive how well the games aged all things considered, so the graphics/assets boost will turn them into modern day games for me pretty much. I also did not play all the classics, only some, so this will be a great way to get through them.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
But boy it's gonna feel great to play through classic C&C games again. It's impressive how well the games aged all things considered, so the graphics/assets boost will turn them into modern day games for me pretty much. I also did not play all the classics, only some, so this will be a great way to get through them.

You know, I fully agree. I loaded Red Alert 2 up not long ago and got sucked right in. The games are just straight up fun. Bit of strategy, but not overwhelming. Very addictive. I've always loved the feel of the old Westwood games!

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
In a sense it sucks that franchises like Command & Conquer and Warcraft (the RTS game, not the MMOs or cardgames) only live on through remasters because we either didn't get any sequel in a while or they sucked balls.

The bright side is that younger generations will be able to experience these updated classics and they'll become somewhat relevant again, at least for a period of time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I fully agree. I loaded Red Alert 2 up not long ago and got sucked right in. The games are just straight up fun. Bit of strategy, but not overwhelming. Very addictive. I've always loved the feel of the old Westwood games!

No joke, Red Alert 2 is one of the best RTS games ever made. The atmosphere, the music, the variety and creativity of units, the strategy elements (always loved barricading inside buildings, blowing up bridges with Tanya, etc.). I also install it and play it from time to time and it's still like back in the day: pure awesomeness.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The bright side is that younger generations will be able to experience these updated classics and they'll become somewhat relevant again, at least for a period of time.
I'm really wishing that these remasters sell enough that it paves the way for more C&C. I want remasters of every Westwood C&C game, up to Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge. I'd also take remasters of C&C3 and Red Alert 3; the latter really needs a better netcode.

The dream though, is to have Petroglyph make another brand new C&C, such as C&C5 that retcons C&C4; a real ending for Kane. I ain't getting my hopes up for that though. I'll take remasters.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, the death of the RTS genre still makes me kinda mad. I think RTSes are in the same position survival horror was a decade ago or so: they didn't actually lose popularity. There was no legitimate reason to decide they were dead. At worst, there was a bit of a glut, but at no point did people stop wanting to buy them and play them. But some executives in suits somewhere decided they were dead, and then it became the received wisdom, and here we are.

But it's worse than that, because while survival horror was revived partly by the efforts of indie developers, when it comes to RTSes, indie developers keep revisiting the genre in frustrating ways that are never going to appeal to the (relative) mass market of people who bought Warcraft 3 and Rise of Nations in droves.

So we have Grey Goo, whose developers for some reason decided to make insanely hard even on the "normal" difficulty setting, with poor tutorializing and a difficulty curve like a brick wall. (Oh, and they titled it "Grey Goo," one of the worst and least appealing video game names I've ever heard, and yes, I know what grey goo is, it's still a hilariously awful name.)

And then we have They Are Billions, which has made the astonishing decision to make it impossible to save, in a game where levels last 1.5 hours and all your careful planning can be ruined at the 11th hour by one tiny oversight or misunderstanding of the map. Because that's fun and appealing to the average player who might be mildly interested in a new RTS experience.

Then we have a smattering of RTS indie games, like Planetary Annihilation, which are laser-focused on becoming competitive multiplayer experiences and thus completely neglect their campaigns, skirmishes, enemy AI, and other single player features, leaving them either bare-bones or outright terrible. Because why court the millions of people who miss RTS campaigns and aren't being served by hardly anyone, when you could instead try to compete head-on with League of Legends, DOTA, AutoChess, and Starcraft 2?

I just don't get it. Is there really not a single indie developer who wants to make a traditional, single-player and/or co-op, base-building RTS, with good tutorials and well-explained mechanics, campaigns, robust skirmish settings, and difficulty settings pitched at the average player rather than superfans? I understand wanting to do something different, but literally no one is doing this. One of the most popular subgenres, with hundreds of entries from 1995-2005, is absolutely and totally dead, with the sole exception, kinda, of Starcraft 2? I just don't get it.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
kinda weird to talk about having all these 4k assets on the ready and then showing...a single screenshot render of a single unit.

show us a gameplay screen or something, this is ridiculous

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get it. Is there really not a single indie developer who wants to make a traditional, single-player and/or co-op, base-building RTS, with good tutorials and well-explained mechanics, campaigns, robust skirmish settings, and difficulty settings pitched at the average player rather than superfans? I understand wanting to do something different, but literally no one is doing this. One of the most popular subgenres, with hundreds of entries from 1995-2005, is absolutely and totally dead, with the some exception, kinda, of Starcraft 2? I just don't get it.
This is where I'm at. I don't understand. There is a market for these games. I think the issue is just that the profits to be made there aren't high enough for companies to want to bother with the investment. The last proper real RTS we got was Red Alert 3, which was 11 years ago. That's crazy.

I know Petroglyph made 8-bit armies, but they launched it without any campaign at all. They only added one much later in DLC, and I read that it's not very elaborate.

bwakh

Jan 16, 2018
Been following their updates on the c&c subreddit and looks to be progressing a decent pace. Having never played RA1 or Tiberium Dawn, i'm excited for the remasters and hope to God they decide to remaster RA2 and Yuri's Revenge too

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is where I'm at. I don't understand. There is a market for these games. I think the issue is just that the profits to be made there aren't high enough for companies to want to bother with the investment. The last proper real RTS we got was Red Alert 3, which was 11 years ago. That's crazy.

I know Petroglyph made 8-bit armies, but they launched it without any campaign at all. They only added one much later in DLC, and I read that it's not very elaborate.

StarCraft 2 came out after Red Alert 3 and it was fantastic. Best RTS campaigns ever.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks excellent. I hope they are able to pull it off because C&C is one of the best strategy games ever made.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Are they redoing the FMV for these remasters (especially for Red Alert)? or using the ones from the original game?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this. Hopefully this will spark interest in the franchise again, and a possible sequel may come.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

why would any big company make an rts when you could invest a similar level of energy into a MOBA and hope to ride that sucker into profit heaven?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this was even a thing until just now!

Holy crap, it's a great time to be a RTS fan.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
All these remasters of old RTS games... and Total Annihilation basically doesn't need any of that noise. It's had updated models from the Evolva mod ages ago, and it still looks awesome. :)

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the new music is going to sound like. I mean, Frank Klepacki today basically sounds the same as 20 years ago barring some upgrades in production quality.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
These seem soooo far away. They've shown us a couple of models so far. I recently re-played the originals and they're still great.

jambo

Oct 25, 2017

What about Grey Goo?

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loved Red Alert 2 growing up, but never played the original (which seemed pretty dated to me). Hopefully the remaster is a good time to jump back in

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
So for those in the know (I recently purchased a gaming PC for the first time in a number of years) which C&C games are the best on Steam right now. I have an itch to play again but it has been a long long time.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*must not port beg, must not port beg*

These games were my favourite games as a kid, before I got my first proper console.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the death of the RTS genre still makes me kinda mad. I think RTSes are in the same position survival horror was a decade ago or so: they didn't actually lose popularity. There was no legitimate reason to decide they were dead. At worst, there was a bit of a glut, but at no point did people stop wanting to buy them and play them. But some executives in suits somewhere decided they were dead, and then it became the received wisdom, and here we are.

But it's worse than that, because while survival horror was revived partly by the efforts of indie developers, when it comes to RTSes, indie developers keep revisiting the genre in frustrating ways that are never going to appeal to the (relative) mass market of people who bought Warcraft 3 and Rise of Nations in droves.

So we have Grey Goo, whose developers for some reason decided to make insanely hard even on the "normal" difficulty setting, with poor tutorializing and a difficulty curve like a brick wall. (Oh, and they titled it "Grey Goo," one of the worst and least appealing video game names I've ever heard, and yes, I know what grey goo is, it's still a hilariously awful name.)

And then we have They Are Billions, which has made the astonishing decision to make it impossible to save, in a game where levels last 1.5 hours and all your careful planning can be ruined at the 11th hour by one tiny oversight or misunderstanding of the map. Because that's fun and appealing to the average player who might be mildly interested in a new RTS experience.

Then we have a smattering of RTS indie games, like Planetary Annihilation, which are laser-focused on becoming competitive multiplayer experiences and thus completely neglect their campaigns, skirmishes, enemy AI, and other single player features, leaving them either bare-bones or outright terrible. Because why court the millions of people who miss RTS campaigns and aren't being served by hardly anyone, when you could instead try to compete head-on with League of Legends, DOTA, AutoChess, and Starcraft 2?

I just don't get it. Is there really not a single indie developer who wants to make a traditional, single-player and/or co-op, base-building RTS, with good tutorials and well-explained mechanics, campaigns, robust skirmish settings, and difficulty settings pitched at the average player rather than superfans? I understand wanting to do something different, but literally no one is doing this. One of the most popular subgenres, with hundreds of entries from 1995-2005, is absolutely and totally dead, with the sole exception, kinda, of Starcraft 2? I just don't get it.

I'm just happy Total War survived and has become more popular and better than ever although it occupies it's own design niche. A little different than games like C&C or Warcraft.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

The last great RTS was Dawn of War. Iron Harvest looks to be tapping the same gameplay vein.

But too many people sleep on the Spellforce series. Yeah, it's got a lot of RPG elements and hero units have a major role; but the real core of the game is old-school RTS, rather than the spinoffs, like MOBAs and tower defence games.

Also, Age of Empires II HD. Microsoft and Forgotten Empires did wonderful things there (is speaking as a campagns-only RTS lover).

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Man, just looking at the old designs makes for a serious nostalgia trip. Really looking forward to diving into this series again.

yzYKuYb.png

Ashes of the Singularity is a thing. Got significant post-launch support including a long series of well-considered balance patches and DLC with unique scenarios. The campaign is also full-length (if minimal on production quality).

It's very much patterned after the Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander branch of RTS, so YMMV on the actual gameplay. I personally find it entertaining enough. I especially appreciate that turtling is actually an option (and one that I always love to exploit in these games).

Still, Starcraft 2 remains king, especially with coop being so chock-full of content. I've bought literally every commander released and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. Just wish there were more games of this quality...

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

I'm all with you, but Homeworld Deserts of Kharak ticked all the boxes for you guys back in 2016: amazing RTS with a great singleplayer game featuring good voice acting, beautiful music, amazing artstyle and cutscenes, and cool units.

but it didn't light any charts on fire because some people didn't bother to check out the best RTS we've had in over a decade.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all with you, but Homeworld Deserts of Kharak ticked all the boxes for you guys back in 2016: amazing RTS with a great singleplayer game featuring good voice acting, beautiful music, amazing artstyle and cutscenes, and cool units.

but it didn't light any charts on fire because some people didn't bother to check out the best RTS we've had in over a decade.

I didn't even know about this.

I'd probably buy it out of shame if my computer were up to the task.

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I didn't even know about this.

I'd probably buy it out of shame if my computer were up to the task.

This makes me so sad. :( Did people just sleep back in 2016? Or maybe RTS has become so niche that it's no longer the juggernaut genre it used to be. Seriously, C&C and Warcraft were like the biggest IPs back in the 90's.

Luckily they're looking into making another one, although I am worried how much they'll change into a moba-focused game: https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-new-homeworld-game-is-being-developed.124266/

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm afraid RTS have become a very niche genre. It's kind of hardcore compared to other kinds of games. I see more interest for turn based and grand strategy ones these days, but anecdotal experience and what not.

How was 8 bits armies anyway?

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018

You forgott Dawn of War 3 which tried to be an esports wanna be Dota thing thst crashed and burned so hard Relic had go and make Age of Empires 4 ...

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Wait, what is this Evolva mod? Google isn't helping me.
The Evolva mod is too old for Google. There was a French modder group called TAAN, who up-detailed the original TA models and hosted them on their own page on a site called PlanetAnnihilation. But the site's long gone, and the page with it.

The models have since been rolled into several mods, like Escalation and Mayhem. Many more mods made their own high-detail models. There's also at least three engine remakes going on, which required their own updates. (I recommend you check out the Spring RTS engine that started as one of those).
The pack itself can still be found on sites such as this. It's a decent visual improvement, but many mods have done that and more since then. But Evolva was the first, and still looks great in my opinion. :)

If you want a more general improved experience, TAUniverse is home to a variety of overhauls, including TA3D and the Unofficial Patch.