• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
WHAT. A. MONTH. YET. AGAIN.

Though I will buy Control and wait for the next-gen version in this particular case. I also bought Dragon Quest XI to show support for more Japanese games on Xbox. But so many other great games in this list, too. Something for everybody, really.

Will play Call of the Sea and the 2D-Yooka-Laylee for sure. Maybe I should also try DOOM at some point in my life. It will stay on Game Pass anyway, so...

Sep 14, 2018
Is DQXI Series X enhanced?
No, it's an Xbox one/PS4 port of the switch version playable through BC. That said it's not specifically enhanced but...
The Xbox Series X version of Dragon Quest XI S has all of the content of the Switch port, with the graphics cleaned up and the framerate brought to an almost constant 60fps. The game has never looked prettier, and load screens are almost nonexistent, thanks to the Xbox Series X's internal SSD. This is the definitive Dragon Quest XI experience, and even people who played the original version of the game should check it out, as the new content and QoL improvements make the experience feel fresh again. Dragon Quest XI S is an updated version of one of the finest games of the previous generation, and it's free on Game Pass, so Xbox fans have no reason not to check it out for themselves.
screenrant.com

Dragon Quest 11 S Xbox Series X Review

Dragon Quest XI S looks better than ever.
I definitely did not play it at 60 fps. And just having the orchestral OST over the MIDI assault on the brain is about a 100x improvement.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
What's the difference between Dragon Quest XI and XI S? I have XI on steam but only played a few hours before dropping it.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is one of my favorite platformers, and is the true DKC 6. With an incredible OST to boot. Just ask my friend SunBroDave ! Be sure to go for those diabolical collectibles.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I held off buying Greedfall specifically because I thought it'd come to Game Pass. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
What's the difference between Dragon Quest XI and XI S? I have XI on steam but only played a few hours before dropping it.

XI S has a number of QoL improvements, added side stories that the original version didn't have and an orchestrated soundtrack. It also includes 2D sections referencing the past games in the series and you can play the entire game in 2D mode, if you want

Sep 14, 2018
Dragon Quest XI S is filled with new content that wasn't present in the original version of the game. The first includes a number of quality of life improvements, such as increasing battle speed, using the Fun-Sized Forge item anywhere to craft items, and being able to call a mount from anywhere on the overworld. The player can experience the entire game with 2D visuals as if they were playing one of the 16-bit Dragon Quest games, too, which is a lovely touch. Dragon Quest XI S adds a whole new set of chapters that focus on each party member's adventures during a part of the story where they are separated. The biggest addition to the game involves a town called Tickington, where players can unlock quests set in each of the previous ten Dragon Quest worlds. Tickington is also home to some brutally difficult post-game content. The original version of Dragon Quest XI was already a huge game, but Dragon Quest XI S adds a ton of new content while making the entire experience a lot smoother to play.
screenrant.com

Dragon Quest 11 S Xbox Series X Review

Dragon Quest XI S looks better than ever.
Not to sound like a broken record but it also replaces the original soundtrack that may make you want to jump off a cliff with an orchestral version of it.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Question now is wether or not control ultimate edition is worth $30(Canada) or just play the base game with game pass.

Visually you get
-1440p/30 standard version
-1080-1440p/30 Ray or dynamic 4K/60 next gen (guessing)

How important is the dlc to the overall story? Does it feel beneficial or like added bonus for those seeking more? Heard they're fairly short 6-7 hours combined.

This wouldn't be a problem if you could upgrade the base game and we knew what upgrades the ultimate edition is getting.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Control on Game Pass won't have the DLC but I'd be surprised if it doesn't get the next gen patches once those are ready.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I almost bought Gang Beasts last night and thought to myself..."I bet it's going to end up on Game Pass."

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Dude, I'm gonna need to make a new account to make use of that promotion. I'm not subscribed to Game Pass and I want to get back in. I have another email account all set up, so I can use that instead.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Finally gonna play some Slime Rancher, was gonna buy Haven anyways, and a replay of Control over the holidays does sound nice.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Damn, that's a pretty smart move.
They're allowing me to play Control and they're making me buy the ultimate edition for the upgrade. Maybe. I guess we'll have to see how 'upgraded' it really ends up being. Doubt we'll see the whole ray tracing sample book on consoles but who knows.

Also, Dragon Quest was never on my radar, but it's reviewing exceptionally well and I might just use a jrpg now.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Does beg the question of how long negotiations are, seeing as how Phil casually mentioned Control as a game pass addition some time last year in an interview
I mean, the funny thing about that was that Remedy, 505 and Microsoft were all denying it after the fact. I figured it'd eventually show up on Game Pass, but I think 505 is just trying as hard as possible to time the game's inclusion on Game Pass as carefully as possible so it absolutely doesn't negatively impact the game's sales in any way. I wouldn't expect Control to stay on Game Pass for very long, personally, as I think 505 is still banking on the X|S enhancements being enough to sell the game again.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Of course I bought Control UE on the PSN last week šŸ¤£
Well, at least I'm sure I will get the PS5 upgrade when is out.

Another fantastic (half) month by the way. Love Game Pass.

Don't know if you have it, but Control was on PSNow some months back. Could have saved you buying it. Same for Greedfall. Always worth checking PSNow before buying on PSN

Dragon Quest is a title I'd like to try though. Great month for that alone

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Question now is wether or not control ultimate edition is worth $30(Canada) or just play the base game with game pass.

Visually you get
-1440p/30 standard version
-1080-1440p/30 Ray or dynamic 4K/60 next gen (guessing)

How important is the dlc to the overall story? Does it feel beneficial or like added bonus for those seeking more? Heard they're fairly short 6-7 hours combined.

This wouldn't be a problem if you could upgrade the base game and we knew what upgrades the ultimate edition is getting.
My biggest concern with buying the game is that the next gen will be exactly what you say - ray traced @ 30 and dynamic 4k60. In that case I think I would rather just buy/replay it on PC as I can do RTX with DLSS and still get 60fps +. The main advantage on XSX for me would be keeping my save game so I don't have to replay anything, but I really, really don't think I can do 30FPS games any more.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Just throwing this out there to Xbox fam who haven't played DQ11. The beginning is rough. The first 10 hours or so can seem like a "slog", but if you persist and just enjoy the game you'll find one of the best games of the gen.

Edit: Oh and play on Draconian mode (hard mode) which is not hard at all as the base game is ridiculously easy (if it hasn't changed for the S version)

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Don't most gamepass games get offered to buy with a discount? Maybe they will keep vanilla Control on GP, then offer the complete/RT version for purchase with a gamepass discount.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
My biggest concern with buying the game is that the next gen will be exactly what you say - ray traced @ 30 and dynamic 4k60. In that case I think I would rather just buy/replay it on PC as I can do RTX with DLSS and still get 60fps +. The main advantage on XSX for me would be keeping my save game so I don't have to replay anything, but I really, really don't think I can do 30FPS games any more.

I'm leaning towards refunding and playing on game pass. The dlc seems mixed, it's more control but not up to par with the best parts so I'm willing to skip it. So $30 for whatever ray tracing they add is a hard sell. It looks better but not "next level" better because they found ways to fake a decent equivalent. The overall look and atmosphere of the game remain the same. Higher frame rate would be nice but digital foundry says the motion blur they use makes it feel smooth regardless. If we had a better idea of what remedy is actually enhancing/adding it would be easier to decide but right now that game pass version seems like a no brainer and the ultimate a gamble.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I launched Control and it's auto hdr.
Oh, nice šŸ‘Œ
How do you do that? I don't see that in the Xbox app
Not the game pass app. You can install any Xbox game without owning it if you look it up in the Xbox app.
Not the Game Pass App. It is in the normal Xbox App, and you have to search for the game there and click on it and on its main page you can select to start downloading it.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone played slime rancher recently? I played it a long time ago and it was buggy and seemed to be lacking some stuff. Just wondering if it improved. I do like those types of games.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I just bought the control UE on PSN in anticipation for the PS5 upgrade. Platinumed the game back on PS4 when it was on PS NOW. Usually I would have went for a second playthrough on my One X but I feel this will burn me out by the time the PS5 version hits . Yoka laylee on the second hand I will definitely try.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
That's incredible. I am eager to play 3-4 of these

• Greedfall
  • Control
  • Call of the Sea
  • Super Hot
  • Haven
Ok five then :) And I want to try some of the others too :)

And I'll play Dragon Quest XI for the third time :)

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Don't most gamepass games get offered to buy with a discount? Maybe they will keep vanilla Control on GP, then offer the complete/RT version for purchase with a gamepass discount.

This is actually what I'm wondering as well. I'd buy the Ultimate Edition if it goes on sale for $20 again on top of a gamepass discount with that.
I beat the game on PC and just need to play the DLC, but wouldn't mind just buying it all again.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Wow.

That's just crazy, I've really wanted to play Haven, Greedfall, and Yes, Your Grace. I also plan to roadtest the PC version of Dragon Quest XIS on XGP to see if I can live with the graphical downgrades, if so I'll cop it on Steam.

I also completely forgot that Doom Eternal was coming to XGP! Since it's now an XGS game, I can comfortably refund my freshly bought, never played Steam copy and spend the money elsewhere. Amazing start to the month!

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Really hate the separation between consoles and PC. It was okeish when the PC price was lower, but they matched it with the console price few months ago, without matching the games. EA Play also comes to PC later than consoles, and if there is separation there as well, I will just cancel. Not worth it at that price.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This reminds me. WasnĀ“t Super Hot supposed to be added for free to your library if you bought the original game? It never showed up in my library.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Really hate the separation between consoles and PC. It was okeish when the PC price was lower, but they matched it with the console price few months ago, without matching the games. EA Play also comes to PC later than consoles, and if there is separation there as well, I will just cancel. Not worth it at that price.
Haven't seen major titles on Origin to be console-only. If anything PC has more stuff because older PC titles aren't on Xbox.