• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
My 3 favorites:
  • Eighth Grade - Probably the most insightful coming-of-age film I've seen. It explores the pressures of being a young teenage girl in the age of social media. Definitely a good pick if you're in the mood to feel some feelings and want something realistic.
  • The Spectacular Now - Has a fantastic summertime nostalgia vibe, though it gets kinda heavy. It made me feel wistful for a time and place that I never experienced.
  • The Edge of Seventeen - A bit lighter in tone, more like The Way Way Back. Basically about a girl learning to be more thoughtful and self-aware. The lead actress is great.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
When you think about it, Jojo Rabbit is a coming of age movie, just set in Nazi Germany.

Fucking amazing movie, too. One with the most unexpected gut punch ever.

Last edited:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
You should watch Looking for Alaska. It's a miniseries so not quite a movie, but it definitely hit certain beats that Perks hit for me.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea It Chapter 1 was a coming-of-age movie. I don't like horror but this makes me interested.

Oct 25, 2017
Almost Famous is the coming of age film as far as I'm concerned. I don't think the genre has ever been done better, before or since.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stand by me is still the GOAT for me, but a more recent one that I totally loved was The Edge of Seventeen

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Weird choice but RAW, a film all about that stage in your life when you're discovering (and managing..or not) new appetites be it sex, drugs, relationships with certain types of people or whatever, made me nostalgic for my late teens/early 20s, more so than any film I can recall.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Boyhood and Moonlight are both brilliant.

Saw The King of Staten Island last week, it's good. More lighthearted but still great.

OP
OP
Zyrokai

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Another movie I see pop up in recommendation lists is the Kings of Summer. I'm surprised no one here has mentioned it. Anyone see it?

I'm glad I was able to give it a good case, yeah it covers a lot of elements of the pre/during/post of coming out in some really true ways, I hope you really like it!

I'm a huge fan of this genre (and Perks was by far my go-to film like this for years) but yeah Love, Simon just painted just a wonderful picture of all the good and bad of that time in almost any gay guy's life.

I watched Love, Simon last night and I loved it! I'm probably going to watch it again today and then I think my next movie choice will be Stand By Me. Seems pretty universally praised here.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
O Maidens in your Savage Season

Yeah it's an anime but this was hilarious and beautiful in equal measure.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Scent of a Woman (Pacino, O'Donnell) I'd thought be mentioned by now.

Maybe it's not coming of age? always felt it was, both with O'Donnells character growing, and Pacino softening.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say "Love, Simon". It's maybe the only coming-of-age type story I've cried at. I'll preface by saying I don't really know if it will tug at heartstrings if you aren't gay.

But god did it make me cry.

It's the movie I so desperately wish I had in high school. It captures this unspoken tension that lives on the edge of being closeted. You want so desperately to be happy but everything just seems so much... easier if you don't go for the life that would make you happier. If you play along, maybe that's for the best.

And then it hits you with these quiet but charged moments like the first time Simon comes out to anybody when he tells one of his friends:

The way he says the simple words "I'm gay" made me choke up immediately. Nick Robinson delivers it so well, you can hear the way he almost doesn't want to say them, he just holds back and then says it before he can stop himself. He doesn't even give the words much intonation because it's such an new, unexpected moment even to him that he can't really deliver those words any other way.

Then you have this scene:

I can't tell you how terrifying it is growing up thinking the people who love you most only do so because they don't fully know you. Hearing his mom truly being there for him, while also clearly being in pain knowing how much he had held himself back... I full on started crying when this scene came on.

"you get to exhale now Simon. You get to be more you than you have been in... in a very long time" God, every bit of that hits hard.

Love, Simon is not an insanely well-written movie. It's not intensely artistic or trying to be an Oscar-winning film. But it's immensely important, and what it sets out to do it does with incredible grace. It's really the first coming of age film I've ever seen that actually told some part of the story I had felt growing up. In the end I think that's a big part of the value of those movies. To frame the confusion and anguish and strangeness of that time in life as a normal part of the human experience. It's weird and awful and magic and that's what growing up and finding yourself is. This is what being gay is. And Love, Simon paints that story beautifully.

Everything you wrote above came through to me as well. I'm not gay, so obviously not in the same way as you experienced it, but it was palpable for a straight guy as well. Definitely heart string tugging. The last shot in the car was heart warming in how perfectly normal it felt.

As for another coming of age movie that's a bit older with a gay main character: Fucking Åmål. Very grounded, very good.

Less grounded but still great, not sure if it's coming of agey enough: Ten things I hate about you.

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
C.R.A.Z.Y

It's a beautiful film by Jean-Marc Vallée (the director of Dallas Buyers Club). If you grew up in a house that was even mildly conservative, it'll particularly touch you.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Last one I saw was Whisper of the Heart (Ghibli) and it has a very simple, important and emotional message. Very recommended.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
This has a special place in my heart.

Beautiful Thing (1996)

x1080

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Inside Out, when

the bittersweet pearl thingy comes out of the emotion machine

Speaking of Pixar, it's not a coming of age movie as such, but I suspect many here grew up with Toy Story 1, 2 & 3 and seeing Andy grown up at the end of 3 really goes at the heartstrings.

And for animations, perhaps Spirited Away, Kiki and Whispers of the Heart as well as Persepolis.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Another movie I see pop up in recommendation lists is the Kings of Summer. I'm surprised no one here has mentioned it. Anyone see it?

I watched Love, Simon last night and I loved it! I'm probably going to watch it again today and then I think my next movie choice will be Stand By Me. Seems pretty universally praised here.

Super glad you enjoyed it, Love, Simon is definitely a movie I'll be watching at least once a year if not more from here out.

Also I saw Kings of Summer years ago and it's quite good! Deals with teenage heartbreak and escapism and it's got Nick Offerman as the dad!

Everything you wrote above came through to me as well. I'm not gay, so obviously not in the same way as you experienced it, but it was palpable for a straight guy as well. Definitely heart string tugging. The last shot in the car was heart warming in how perfectly normal it felt.

As for another coming of age movie that's a bit older with a gay main character: Fucking Åmål. Very grounded, very good.

Less grounded but still great, not sure if it's coming of agey enough: Ten things I hate about you.

Yeah that last shot is so perfect, because it accomplished exactly what the heart of the movie is all about: showing that you can live a life with all the wonderful cozy day-to-day elements like getting coffee with friends and being close with your family while also being out as gay. It's just a really special film to me for that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Joe Pesci, Brenden Frasier, Maura Tierny classic With Honors.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Fucking%20%C3%85m%C3%A5l

I was like 11-12 years old when it came out and it was the first LGBT coming-of-age movie that I can remember I saw. It was genuine, inspiring, impactful and created much buzz and awareness directed towards youth and young teens. I remember the whole school talked about this movie for weeks after it came out. It being a 1998 film the world was quite a different place back then, so the outreach it brought was very influential and an eye opening revelation for many of us. It's a really good and important movie.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Stand by Me is a really good one. Sandlot and Ferris Bueller, too. Then more modern takes that come to mind are Project X (yes, that one), Stranger Things, and Mean Girls among others.

But honestly my favorite is probably Superbad. I don't know if a lot of people consider it as a coming-of-age type of film, but it hit me (and my friends) right at the right time. There are a few parts throughout the movie that remind me so much of my friends and I and the things we would do in high school, I can see all of us in all of the characters depending on the scene. So many of the more tender moments of the movie just make me nostalgic and miss what happened then. That ending in the mall makes me choke up every time. It was just perfect for that time of my life.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
Coming of age movies are so fun to watch. My favorites:

-The Edge of Seventeen
-American Pie series
-Superbad
-Can't Hardly Wait
-The Girl Next Door
-Mean Girls
-I Love You, Beth Cooper

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that last shot is so perfect, because it accomplished exactly what the heart of the movie is all about: showing that you can live a life with all the wonderful cozy day-to-day elements like getting coffee with friends and being close with your family while also being out as gay. It's just a really special film to me for that.

That scene really stood out. Of course the part with the ferris wheel might pull on your heartstrings a bit more, going for stronger and more obvious feelings, but it also felt a bit more conventional. Like it's stuff we've seen in other movies as well. Though of course here it has the addition effect of Simon doing it with the support of his friends. But yeah, the final shot is exactly what I'd wish for Simon (and all gay people in real life).

As for another great coming of age movie that DEFINITELY goes for the heartstrings in a totally unexpected way; and probably mu favorite movie ever: Castaway on the Moon. If the OP can find a way to watch it I'd highly recommend it.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
- Lost in Translation
- 500 Days of Summer
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
- Lady Bird
- Garden State

Oct 29, 2017
It's not an movie. But it's an coming of age story that hit real close to home for me. The Wire season 4. I could've been any one of those kids easy.