• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So, as I've been living in quarantine, I've been longing for simpler times. I'm turning 33 this year, and I'm single and alone and I don't really know how I got here. I'm nostalgic for my time in high school and college more now than I ever have been in my life (normal?) and I want to relive those days and go back to when my life was full of optimism for the future and seemingly limitless possibilities in the world. The pandemic and bleak future has nearly pushed me into a depression, but I'm hanging in there, so no worries (just tell me it'll get better! :-p )

In a college English class, I read the book "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". I remember connecting with this book SO much back then, but I only read it once. This was probably around 2008. I knew they made a movie, but I never watched it. Color me surprised as HELL when I found out the movie was already 8 years old and released in 2012! I thought it was 2-3 years old.

Anyway, I watched it over the weekend. And then I watched it again. I remembered everything from the book all over again. And then I wanted to find more movies like it. It tugged on my emotions unlike anything else has recently, and ......I know this probably sounds so weird to say...... but I almost wish I could live in that world and be friends with those kids. Also, I think the movie might actually be better?

So then I wanted to find more movies like it and decided to watch "The Way, Way Back", which is a MUCH less "dark" and sad movie than Perks of Being a Wallflower, but it also captured me in a way I couldn't imagine and didn't anticipate. I've now watched it two times as well. Something about the relationship between Duncan, the main kid, and Owen, played by the handsome Sam Rockwell, really hit home with me.

Both of these movies are things I feel like I needed in my life but didn't know it until I watched it. I'm not a big movie person, but now I want to be. I want to watch similar movies that just tug at your heart, make you cry from happiness, cry from sadness, mourn or celebrate the characters, the story, and more. I'm particularly interesting in "coming-of-age" tales like these two movies, but anything else similar I'm interested in.

So what movies do you guys recommend that are like this? What are your favorites? What are movies you've connected to on an almost sublime level? I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations!!

So, I'll start with the two I mentioned here: (also, if there is a another thread about these kinds of movies, please point me to it!)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

cMUSI1v.jpg

The Way, Way Back

AqtnZe1.jpg

Notable mention, especially if you're into LGBT films that aren't necessarily about coming-of-age:

God's Own Country

Ehwbh0B.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Stand By Me still holds up for me.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Already mentioned Way, Way Back.

The Spectacular Now.
Short Term 12 (unsure if it'd count).
Booksmart.
Breakfast Club.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Most coming-of-ag movies dont really pull my heartstrings, even though it's one my favorite "genre".
Almost Famous, Dazed and Confused, American Graffiti, Boyhood, Superbad...

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Booksmart was phenomenal. Just saw An Education which was pretty great too. Ladybird was one of my favorites the year it came out.
Most coming-of-ag movies dont really pull my heartstrings, even though it's one my favorite "genre".
Almost Famous, Dazed and Confused, American Graffiti, Boyhood, Superbad...
I agree with all of these as well.

Apr 10, 2018
Maybe kind of a left field answer but It Follows struck a huge chord with me in this regard. It's got that low-key hang movie vibe that I feel is very underrepresented in "horror" movies. The closeness and type of intimacy that Keir Gilchrist and Maika Monroe have in that movie really resonated with me. It felt very real. The same director has a movie called The Myth of the American Sleepover that is very similar in tone, minus the horror elements.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"This is us" counts? is not a movie but a series and i'm not really sure if it counts as "Coming of age" (I think it does)

But almost every episode pulls some strings, sometimes better than others. But holy shit

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Y'all pretty much already named my top picks. Perks of being a wallflower, spectacular now, and way way back are all fantastic. All of them have one main thing in common, top notch acting.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general, the past few years have had a lot of great coming of age movies. In particular there's been a bunch recently that are both female led AND female directed: Edge of Seventeen, Lady Bird, Booksmart.

I feel like that, combined with the increase in LGBT-centric stories has really breathed new life into the genre. Best it's been since the 80s.

OP
OP
Zyrokai

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
"This is us" counts? is not a movie but a series and i'm not really sure if it counts as "Coming of age" (I think it does)

But almost every episode pulls some strings, sometimes better than others. But holy shit

TV can work! I'll have to check this out. Also, we don't have to limit ourselves to "coming-of-age" movies. I know I used that term a lot, but really anything that gives you the feels.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Fat Kid Rules the World. Only movie directed by Matthew Lillard. It has a ton of heart and really sticks it at the end.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently watched Flirting, and thought it was fantastic:

51E58y36xIL._AC_.jpg

Australian movie from early 90s, with supporting roles by Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts. Takes place in a boarding school in the 1960s and mainly focuses on a romance between an Australian boy and an Ugandan-Kenyan-British girl. I am also glad I saw it before I found out Thandie Newton was groomed and sexually abused by the director, so sorry for ruining it for you all.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Hughes:
Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
Ferris Beuller

Linklater:
Dazed and Confused
Boyhood
Everybody Wants Some

Baumbach:
Kicking and Screaming
Squid and the Whale

Also, if you want the dark side of high school, watch HBO's Euphoria. It's amazing.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
I was going to recommend the Perks of Being a Wallflower movie, but I'm glad that you've covered that already, OP :)

That really hit me hard. I think it caught me in that age where you're neither a teen anymore, nor an adult. MC's romantic indecisiveness also echoed a lot my experiences (no, I never kissed another girl in front of any of my girlfriends in a truth or dare game, lol).

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say "Love, Simon". It's maybe the only coming-of-age type story I've cried at. I'll preface by saying I don't really know if it will tug at heartstrings if you aren't gay.

But god did it make me cry.

It's the movie I so desperately wish I had in high school. It captures this unspoken tension that lives on the edge of being closeted. You want so desperately to be happy but everything just seems so much... easier if you don't go for the life that would make you happier. If you play along, maybe that's for the best.

And then it hits you with these quiet but charged moments like the first time Simon comes out to anybody when he tells one of his friends:

The way he says the simple words "I'm gay" made me choke up immediately. Nick Robinson delivers it so well, you can hear the way he almost doesn't want to say them, he just holds back and then says it before he can stop himself. He doesn't even give the words much intonation because it's such an new, unexpected moment even to him that he can't really deliver those words any other way.

Then you have this scene:

I can't tell you how terrifying it is growing up thinking the people who love you most only do so because they don't fully know you. Hearing his mom truly being there for him, while also clearly being in pain knowing how much he had held himself back... I full on started crying when this scene came on.

"you get to exhale now Simon. You get to be more you than you have been in... in a very long time" God, every bit of that hits hard.

Love, Simon is not an insanely well-written movie. It's not intensely artistic or trying to be an Oscar-winning film. But it's immensely important, and what it sets out to do it does with incredible grace. It's really the first coming of age film I've ever seen that actually told some part of the story I had felt growing up. In the end I think that's a big part of the value of those movies. To frame the confusion and anguish and strangeness of that time in life as a normal part of the human experience. It's weird and awful and magic and that's what growing up and finding yourself is. This is what being gay is. And Love, Simon paints that story beautifully.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Booksmart, Blockers, Never Goin Back, and The To Do List are all very good.

I feel like I will be shouting from the heavens about Never Goin Back until the day I day since it is way, way underappreciated. It's a coming of age movie about kids who are poor and emancipated from their parents in Shithole, TX. It's so weird, and grimy, and raunchy, but every single time I watch it I fall even more in love with it. It's on Amazon Prime Video for free I believe. It made like $30k in the box office. A24 didn't even release it on Blu Ray. It's fucking incredible. Please, please watch it.

Red band trailer so NSFW and all but like seriously it's the best.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
posterBRAINDEAD...JPG

a beautiful coming of age film about dealing with your trauma, both past and present. Coming to terms with your mother about how you're a grown man now and what you would do for love. One of the better coming of age movies.

OP
OP
Zyrokai

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Loving the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em comin'!

And like I said in another post, we don't have to exclusively keep this at "coming of age films".

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Eighth Grade is a favorite of mine, directed by Bo Burnham. Very accurate look at middle school.

Love, Simon is fantastic.

Spider-Man Homecoming is a perfect coming of age movie and every time Tom Holland cries I do too

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
It Chapter 1 is actually probably my biggest recommendation. Movie is a coming of age story first and a horror movie second. Check it out if you haven't.

Other recommendations not listed in this thread yet:
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Altar Boys
  • Unicorn Store
  • The Vanishing of Sidney Hall
  • Corvette Summer

OP
OP
Zyrokai

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'll say "Love, Simon". It's maybe the only coming-of-age type story I've cried at. I'll preface by saying I don't really know if it will tug at heartstrings if you aren't gay.

But god did it make me cry.

It's the movie I so desperately wish I had in high school. It captures this unspoken tension that lives on the edge of being closeted. You want so desperately to be happy but everything just seems so much... easier if you don't go for the life that would make you happier. If you play along, maybe that's for the best.

And then it hits you with these quiet but charged moments like the first time Simon comes out to anybody when he tells one of his friends:

The way he says the simple words "I'm gay" made me choke up immediately. Nick Robinson delivers it so well, you can hear the way he almost doesn't want to say them, he just holds back and then says it before he can stop himself. He doesn't even give the words much intonation because it's such an new, unexpected moment even to him that he can't really deliver those words any other way.

Then you have this scene:

I can't tell you how terrifying it is growing up thinking the people who love you most only do so because they don't fully know you. Hearing his mom truly being there for him, while also clearly being in pain knowing how much he had held himself back... I full on started crying when this scene came on.

"you get to exhale now Simon. You get to be more you than you have been in... in a very long time" God, every bit of that hits hard.

Love, Simon is not an insanely well-written movie. It's not intensely artistic or trying to be an Oscar-winning film. But it's immensely important, and what it sets out to do it does with incredible grace. It's really the first coming of age film I've ever seen that actually told some part of the story I had felt growing up. In the end I think that's a big part of the value of those movies. To frame the confusion and anguish and strangeness of that time in life as a normal part of the human experience. It's weird and awful and magic and that's what growing up and finding yourself is. This is what being gay is. And Love, Simon paints that story beautifully.

I think you sold me on this being my next movie. It was incredibly hard to pick from all the suggestions and just about all of these have been added to my list. I chose this to be next because I actually AM a gay male and I think I can definitely relate to this. I've known about this movie forever, but I had no idea it was a coming out story. Will be a nice movie to throw next into the mix.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl
Little Women
Moonlight
Love Simon
Secondhand Lions
The Spectacular Now
Moonrise Kingdom
Rushmore
Mid90s

Little Women, Moonlight, Love Simon, and The Spectacular Now I would recommend the most.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Stand By Me.
One of the best ever made and it will make you cry.
"I never had any friends later on like I did when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
And River Phoenix?!?!?!
It's just so good.

@DarthOrange - IT Chp. 1 is just Stand by Me with 20 min of evil clown thrown in. (not arguing, I like IT, just comparing)

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think you sold me on this being my next movie. It was incredibly hard to pick from all the suggestions and just about all of these have been added to my list. I chose this to be next because I actually AM a gay male and I think I can definitely relate to this. I've known about this movie forever, but I had no idea it was a coming out story. Will be a nice movie to throw next into the mix.
I'm glad I was able to give it a good case, yeah it covers a lot of elements of the pre/during/post of coming out in some really true ways, I hope you really like it!

I'm a huge fan of this genre (and Perks was by far my go-to film like this for years) but yeah Love, Simon just painted just a wonderful picture of all the good and bad of that time in almost any gay guy's life.