• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is Peter Parkers (Spider-Man) best romantic partner?

• Felicia Hardy (Black Cat)

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Gwen Stacy (Vanilla version)

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Carlie Cooper (Non Goblin version)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Bobbi Morse (Mockingbird)

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Spoilers. I already read webtoons.

I recommend

Queen and the Woodborn
Death Vigil
Punderworld
Mage & Demon Queen
Tower of God
i was joking sorry
Mage and Demon Queen rules!!

I keep meaning to check out the Tower of God anime.
It's kinda rushed to hell and back and has some translation mistakes, but it's pretty and has nice music. One of those "maybe check it out after reading the original"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been re-reading Fullmetal Alchemist instead of watching anime and having a ball. I do want to watch a few more shows though like Martian Successor Nadesico and a rewatch of Mob Psycho 100, Not feeling up to watching Zombieland Saga for some reason. If I get too bored I must do Lupin Part 5 and sign off.

Are we at a point in history where I can say both FMA anime are bad and the only true canon is the manga?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly yeah.
The manga is really so much better than both.
Manga is easily superior. Fuck Shou Tucker forever.
I'm still not over the volume-length flashback to the Ishbal Civil War being reduced to one episode.

Or how Brotherhood had to speedrun the first six volumes of the manga even though those first six volumes are really good, so the first 14 episodes of Brotherhood are a total disaster.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not over the volume-length flashback to the Ishbal Civil War being reduced to one episode.

Or how Brotherhood had to speedrun the first six volumes of the manga even though those first six volumes are really good, so the first 14 episodes of Brotherhood are a total disaster.
If you take the first anime and the second anime and Frankensein them together, they still aren't anywhere near as good as the manga.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Norman, there is no logical way that a middle aged white dude with that haircut was ever getting near Gwen.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I've been re-reading Fullmetal Alchemist instead of watching anime and having a ball. I do want to watch a few more shows though like Martian Successor Nadesico and a rewatch of Mob Psycho 100, Not feeling up to watching Zombieland Saga for some reason. If I get too bored I must do Lupin Part 5 and sign off.

Are we at a point in history where I can say both FMA anime are bad and the only true canon is the manga?

I'm exhausted by these "the manga is always the better option" takes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm exhausted by these "the manga is always the better option" takes.
It's not always true.

Mob Psycho 100 is better as an anime, for example. JoJo's manga and anime exist as distinct entities despite the anime being so faithful to the manga it'll straight up use the character's silly-ass posing because it uses the medium to tell the same story but conveyed through its unique filter that can't be found in sequential art.

Otherwise yes the manga is always the better option.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nj7g/batman-and-faze-clan-team-up-for-crossover-no-one-asked-for

If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of all that goodwill Batman generated a couple of hours ago disappearing into the wind.
oh my fucking god what

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Twitter taking this thing a little too far. Now you can't even view images without getting the Log in / sign up popup box. It can all be avoided if you just block twitter cookies, though. 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise yes the manga is always the better option.
This shouldn't be shocking. Manga is almost always the source material, so of course it's going to be conveyed better in that medium. Unless the adaptation is very very good, which has happened on occasion.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Twitter taking this thing a little too far. Now you can't even view images without getting the Log in / sign up popup box. It can all be avoided if you just block twitter cookies, though. 🤷‍♂️

This shouldn't be shocking. Manga is almost always the source material, so of course it's going to be conveyed better in that medium. Unless the adaptation is very very good, which has happened on occasion.
Yeah that's how I approach it.

It's not that manga is this innately superior artform, it's that adapting a manga to anime poorly means you're getting a story written, paced and told with the expectations of sequential art in a medium defined by movement. FMA for example has the famous "Ed gets mad someone called him short" running gag, except Ed is infinitely less annoying in the manga because these tantrums last a single panel and he's always got a different absolutely tilted facial expression. In the anime though? You gotta listen to him screech for seconds at a time and throw all these long-winded speeches out on his height. They're the exact same gag, but formatted differently through the expression of their mediums.

Adapting to anime means you have to make some kind of change, you have to draw something out that couldn't be conveyed in manga like how JoJo runs hard on pop-art colouring and the groovy OSTs.

Like, Akira Toriyama's panel art in Dragon Ball animates better than the actual anime.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
May 24, 2019
https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nj7g/batman-and-faze-clan-team-up-for-crossover-no-one-asked-for

If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of all that goodwill Batman generated a couple of hours ago disappearing into the wind.

Can anyone find and post the images they're talking about? Just the crop I see there looks hilarious.

Edit: looking around, that's the full image, not a crop.
xbOGd5Y.jpg

X0dyIUJ.jpg

hiDOsej.jpg

SOAau5l.jpg

J8f0WsR.jpg

Hopefully Microsoft can give it a cease and desist for those controllers.

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For folk who aren't familiar, FaZe Clan is well known to be accused of directly exploiting young adults with cryptocurrency scams. Several of their members were known to be involved in scams where they'd advertise a new cryptocurrency launch on their Twitch+social media, and then when it launched they'd sell all of the currency they were given to advertise it after which the currency would crash and never recover. The FaZe organization is believed to have been a part of these, but have managed to avoid being directly tied to it so far. Also, if that wasn't enough, racist/sexist/shitty streamers involved in that clan specifically.

Last edited:

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
It looks dumb.
Speaking of dumb - that Vice article puts Superman vs. Mohammed Ali (a beloved book) in the same paragraph as the Northtrop Grumman tie-in and NFL Superpro.

Yeah they tried way too hard to be dismissive when anyone with a brain would see this as a stupid bit of corporate synergy.

They also call Batwing "Arkham Knight" so they don't even have the nerd cred to back them up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sins Past was a three-step disaster.

Step 1: Have a bad idea.

Step 2: Make the idea worse.

Step 3: Not only never remove the even worse idea from canon, but intermittently draw back to it over the years just when we start to think it's finally safe.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I read the webtoon Batman book. It's cute. Good stuff. Good to see Babs is using her wheelchair. Not sure if that's the best way to phrase that but I think Oracle is very important to people.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I read the webtoon Batman book. It's cute. Good stuff. Good to see Babs is using her wheelchair. Not sure if that's the best way to phrase that but I think Oracle is very important to people.
I get what you mean, Oracle is important.
How many disabled superheroes do we have? Very, very few by my count.
DC basically deleting her with the New 52 is some bullshit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get to have a say in representation of physical disability, I just find Barbara as Oracle to be a more interesting part of the Bat-mythos than her as Batgirl. I like the contrast with Nightwing where graduating from her role wasn't this triumphant "the son carves his own path" kind of thing like Dick got, it was this genuinely traumatic career ender for Barbara that she then overcame. Jason taps into that too where his graduation was another bad time, but then Jason strikes me as a more mismanaged character than Barbara was.

Like even the most iconic run of Batgirl post-return didn't really have anything to do with Barbara as Batgirl, she just became Steph but even more Millennial.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Blindfold dies in some random ass shit X-Men series later on, not actually in Legacy right?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I re-read FMA I am filled with primal anger that it mistranslated "Xerxes", the lost civilization, as "Cselkcess" the entire run of the manga.

Ling as Lin is slightly less egregious because it only interferes with a fun gag later on, but Cselkcess just makes me irrationally angry enough to consider buying those hardcovers with the updated translation.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I re-read FMA I am filled with primal anger that it mistranslated "Xerxes", the lost civilization, as "Cselkcess" the entire run of the manga.

Ling as Lin is slightly less egregious because it only interferes with a fun gag later on, but Cselkcess just makes me irrationally angry enough to consider buying those hardcovers with the updated translation.
Yeah I've been collecting the hardcovers. They are really nice.
I'd forgotten about Viz's baffling translation mistakes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been collecting the hardcovers. They are really nice.
I'd forgotten about Viz's baffling translation mistakes.
The hardcovers only have six chapters apiece (which probably fucks real hard with the pacing considering FMA was pretty consistent on leaving things off every four chapters) while the VizBigs have twelve, and the hardcovers removed all the omakes at the end.

Unforgivable.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Status
Not open for further replies.