• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hate Nintendo. It's a shame they make some amazing games and nice unique hardware like the Switch.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
If X of Swords is being collected by January there's literally no reason to follow it in singles. I can just delay any other X-books I'm reading and catch up later.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of Avengers

The writing for the Avengers game so far is way better than it has any right to be, surprised honestly
Kamala is great

It deserves a better game

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
i have the Switch and the Switch Lite, and I really like the hardware, and it's got a great library. But I can't stand Nintendo and their bizarre decisions on so many things.
We have just had amazing lovingly reimagined versions of Crash Bandicoot 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 and then Nintendo comes along with this half assed fart of a collection.
They couldn't even give us a half assed version of Galaxy 2 for heavens sake.

Oh and Tony Hawk 1 and 2, that have been recreated from the ground up.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn lol I knew it was too good to be true. Next people will be telling me the Joker boner page is fake as well.

That sounds a bit steep to me.

Trust me, no one wanted it to be solid dick more than me.

As for X of Swords, I ordered it when it was originally listed at a lower page count and half the price, so I am hoping that doesn't get desisted in favour of the new price.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me, no one wanted it to be solid dick more than me.

As for X of Swords, I ordered it when it was originally listed at a lower page count and half the price, so I am hoping that doesn't get desisted in favour of the new price.
Its a great fake because it sounds so like something that might of been a phrase back in the 60s or whenever that book was published.
Its absurd but its not so out there, that it might, might be true.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
The Switch is the first Nintendo platform I've owned since the OG Gameboy in the late 90s. I've never played 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy so I guess I'm in for a treat.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OCCAM'S RAZOR!

Remember when the Riddler decided to use his OCD for good and became a private investigator?
Good times.

or.jpg
Oh so they did actually do this idea. I saw a post on Tumblr discussing the idea of Riddler using his puzzle solving smarts to become a detective so it would give him something to do with it. And here they did do it for a while before turning him back into a baddie.
We need limited time comics. Here's this new Grant Morrison green lantern. Only available on cmx till end of this year.
That is a terrible idea lol.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
it's wild to me how she's become the designated sexy female character at marvel

really tho

when are we getting Magik solo series with JSC covers. you know that shit would sell like 200k copies.

I hope non-readers don't think the movie Ilyana is representative of her. From what I hear (I'm not allowed in theatres yet) she's a bit of a bigot.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
That Bachalo redesign of Magik was and still is fucking awful.

All of his designs for the Bendis run were bad other than Magneto.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Magik is literally an anime character with that outfit lol

honestly the worst part of the outfit is that she's pretty blatantly the most sexualized mutant, yet she's arguably the least sexual of them all. at least until Hickman decided to make her horny for his """humor"""

Last edited:

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finished the first Frank Miller Daredevil omnibus and yeah, it was great! And it only got better as it went along. As soon as Frank took over and introduced Elektra, there was a marked leap forward in quality. And honestly, I was expecting the quality to drop once Frank stopped doing pencils, but it was the opposite Janson's work was outstanding.

It wasn't perfect, mind. But with such a dramatic tone shift from one author to the next, that's understandable. TBH it felt a lot like Moore picking up Swamp Thing, only Moore legit cut out everything he wasn't interested in over 1-2 issues and Frank Miller took 10+. That first issue with Becky Blake, Heather Glenn, Deborah Harris, Black Widow, Death-Stalker, and the Ani-Men is unlike anything that came after. And all four of those women were cast aside relatively quickly.

Everything with Elektra is great. Everything with Kingpin is great. Bullseye gets interesting after his early appearances. Even The Hand, which leads to some major white savior/racist asian tropes, still leads to some interesting plotlines. Hell, I was even growing enamored with Turk, the only recurring non-white character that Daredevil seems to delight in beating the shit out of.

What I was surprisingly totally not into was Daredevil himself. He just seemed like a device from which the story revolved around but didn't really care about developing. It's almost like he doesn't even matter in the story -- he skips out on his job and relationship without any real repercussions the wholeway through. Then his radar goes down, his senses grow too strong to add some drama, but it's so big of a deal that he misses out on an important event. The more modern Daredevil I've read has much more depth, is much more easy to empathize with. Of course, I'm only one omnibus in to what's clearly the start of a dramatic shift for Daredevil.

Very excited to continue with the next omnibus, the Frank Miller Companion.

I didn't reply right away because I wanted to think about it a bit. I think you're spot on, in feeling a lack of character in Matt during this run. Previous daredevil didn't exactly make a great character either, but I think that Miller specifically made Matt himself able to become something of a lead. Before this, daredevil was just a running identity crisis. So many identities and none of them fleshed out. Lawyer, vigilante, superhero, Widow Partner.

When miller comes in it's less about blind-lawyer-hero-vigilante-friend-introvert-partner and more about the tone of the world around him to make him just Matt Murdock. Silver Age comics are so shallow in some respects that when an artist finally takes a tone control it defines the character more than any event they went through. It's not until after miller that people start writing Matt instead of a bunch of identities.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't reply right away because I wanted to think about it a bit. I think you're spot on, in feeling a lack of character in Matt during this run. Previous daredevil didn't exactly make a great character either, but I think that Miller specifically made Matt himself able to become something of a lead. Before this, daredevil was just a running identity crisis. So many identities and none of them fleshed out. Lawyer, vigilante, superhero, Widow Partner.

When miller comes in it's less about blind-lawyer-hero-vigilante-friend-introvert-partner and more about the tone of the world around him to make him just Matt Murdock. Silver Age comics are so shallow in some respects that when an artist finally takes a tone control it defines the character more than any event they went through. It's not until after miller that people start writing Matt instead of a bunch of identities.
Wasn't Matt before Frank Miller made Daredevil a dark book basically a Spider-Man ripoff

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wasn't Matt before Frank Miller made Daredevil a dark book basically a Spider-Man ripoff

For sure. But he was very disjointed. Spidey was always a very realized character. Matt was a silent hero, verbose outgoing lawyer, ladies man, silent vigilante, mike. None of them ever landing hard because they're all personality traits that never really clicked with each other. And his partnership with Natasha felt even more out of place, even though I love it when they hang out now.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't love that design of Magik either. I just thought it was a bad interpretation of her Eldritch Armour. But then she manifests the armour over it sometimes.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely still at play during these Frank Miller issues, too. Lots of Spider-Man villains involved. Funny to compare Miller's Daredevil to his Batman, where his Batman felt like a dramatic "This is Batman pre-Miller, this is Batman post-Miller." His Daredevil, though, while it's still a dramatic shift, feels much more like a natural transition into something new.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
5afe1f83053053cd10f6b7b188721bf177dfeab3.png

99891d3f38d9fe83ae0d39961dc16bd92d02347c.png

Illyana's something now.

I don't hate this scene, but it's out of character for Ilyana. Seems like something that would've been better for Sunspot. I stopped reading New Mutants after Hickman left tbh.

yeah for all the shit Rosenberg gets his interpretation of Magik as being a lesbian-leaning asexual was a really good one. go figure I think under him Magik had the more reserved classic New Mutants outfit too.

Magik really should be flirting with Kitty more, but y'know...whatever.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
BUT ILLYANA SO COOL GUYS SO FUCKING COOL

Also as a guy who read xfactor more than once and yost xforce Wolfsbane in new mutants feels so weird i get its hickman just fun and I like the book but her character feels off
She also looks younger but that's probably the artstyle

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Kelly Thompson was a cowritter for two issues!!!!
(She just consulted on the book because Kate Bishop was a guest star she didn't actually do anything but marvel for some reason gave her credit)

Cover credit... So much so that she had to come out and distance herself from it lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My takeaway from the Miller Daredevil era is that I expected a book about Matt huddled in the corner crying all the time and came away from it liking it alot, but then I never read Born Again.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I don't hate this scene, but it's out of character for Ilyana. Seems like something that would've been better for Sunspot. I stopped reading New Mutants after Hickman left tbh.
Hickman actually wrote that issue alone. Brisson seems to have a more balanced approach to Magik (see this week).

Hickman has just doubled down on the sadistic streak she's had for the past few years, which I can get if you're leaning into the demon corruption thing but it's been played a little bit too much for jokes. I think the last person to actually handle her well is Zeb Wells.

Basically, Zeb Wells should be writing every X-Men book.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. But he was very disjointed. Spidey was always a very realized character. Matt was a silent hero, verbose outgoing lawyer, ladies man, silent vigilante, mike. None of them ever landing hard because they're all personality traits that never really clicked with each other. And his partnership with Natasha felt even more out of place, even though I love it when they hang out now.
It's definitely still at play during these Frank Miller issues, too. Lots of Spider-Man villains involved. Funny to compare Miller's Daredevil to his Batman, where his Batman felt like a dramatic "This is Batman pre-Miller, this is Batman post-Miller." His Daredevil, though, while it's still a dramatic shift, feels much more like a natural transition into something new.
Wait a minute

Daredevil can swing like Spider-Man
Street level character
Orphan with dead parents
Acrobatic fighting style
Super senses that can function like spiderman
Damn it Stan Lee lol

When I eventually do my chronological read of Daredevil most well regarded runs I'll keep that in my mind see his transition from spidey lawyer to miserable catholic with constant mental breakdown

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait a minute

Daredevil can swing like Spider-Man
Street level character
Orphan with dead parents
Acrobatic fighting style
Super senses that can function like spiderman
Damn it Stan Lee lol

When I eventually do my chronological read of Daredevil most well regarded runs I'll keep that in my mind see his transition from spidey lawyer to miserable catholic with constant mental breakdown

The best part of pre-miller Daredevil is the lengths he will go to to keep his identity a secret (like Mike) but also how close he gets to being busted compared to other characters. For some reason people catch on early to blind, cane using matt murdock.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So far Avengers has been pretty fun. I dont really like playing as Hulk, but im at the point where I can pick between him and Kamala each mission. Not a big fan of the skill trees either. They just dont seem like they make the characters feel different enough, rather they just give you more combos and attacks. Maybe itll get more involved as I go and unlock other heroes.

The story has been good though.

It works on a single order! So if you buy multiple books at once, it'll discount all of them.
Oh nice, thanks!

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
That NM page gets shared a lot, but in Empyre: X-Men a Magik high on demon power tells Nightcrawler that he's cute and it's heavily implied she was going to tell him to be her sex slave lol. Shit's weird.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, just saw they announced 3D World too at full price lol. At least it has Bowser's Fury but I don't even know what that is. I just want to play it without using my nephews WiiU.
Nintendo loves those full-price re-releases. They hardly have to put in any effort to make new games if they just release the old ones from the consoles no one bought.
nice, Thunderbolts omni for sure coming in April now.
Which run? In recent memory, the E***s and Diggle runs were some of my favorites.
The X of Swords HC is coming out in January 2021 lol. Its MSRP is $100 and its 648 pages.
I'll may just wait and pick that up if they stick the landing.
I honestly hate Nintendo. It's a shame they make some amazing games and nice unique hardware like the Switch.
I think the Switch is a great console. They just don't curate the eshop very well and have no problem adding mountains of shovelware every week so the good shit gets buried.
Yeah and where the fuck is Galaxy 2?
I've never played either galaxy game, but don't really have any great need to revisit 64 or Sunshine, so I'll wait and see if they release them individually.
Black Widow #1 was pretty dope
I liked it. Loved the art. Though it felt a little short to me.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Warren Johnson Lone Wolf and Cub commission -- nsfw violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.