• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Is it weird i think i it's kinda gross to already talk about replacing him in what feels like less than a week

The Killmonger and MBJ suggestions are pissing me off for some reason
It's such a garbage thread with horrible takes. It's definitely gross to talk about replacing him. It's especially horrendous less than a week after he died. I had to put it on ignore.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That comic was so bad I dropped it after half of the first issue.
g78df7wn2rcz.jpg

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's such a garbage thread with horrible takes. It's definitely gross to talk about replacing him. It's especially horrendous less than a week after he died. I had to put it on ignore.
Everyone is gonna address it but some of those takes are just.

That fucking brain transplant idea is fucking what?

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Batman was awesome this week. Jimenez is killing it every issue, but this one especially.

Strange Adventures continues to be interesting but I have no idea what it's leading to.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see the games of the decade voting starts tomorrow. I need to finish writing my list, had my choices written down for a long while, but never made the full write up's.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first Frank Miller Daredevil omnibus and yeah, it was great! And it only got better as it went along. As soon as Frank took over and introduced Elektra, there was a marked leap forward in quality. And honestly, I was expecting the quality to drop once Frank stopped doing pencils, but it was the opposite Janson's work was outstanding.

It wasn't perfect, mind. But with such a dramatic tone shift from one author to the next, that's understandable. TBH it felt a lot like Moore picking up Swamp Thing, only Moore legit cut out everything he wasn't interested in over 1-2 issues and Frank Miller took 10+. That first issue with Becky Blake, Heather Glenn, Deborah Harris, Black Widow, Death-Stalker, and the Ani-Men is unlike anything that came after. And all four of those women were cast aside relatively quickly.

Everything with Elektra is great. Everything with Kingpin is great. Bullseye gets interesting after his early appearances. Even The Hand, which leads to some major white savior/racist asian tropes, still leads to some interesting plotlines. Hell, I was even growing enamored with Turk, the only recurring non-white character that Daredevil seems to delight in beating the shit out of.

What I was surprisingly totally not into was Daredevil himself. He just seemed like a device from which the story revolved around but didn't really care about developing. It's almost like he doesn't even matter in the story -- he skips out on his job and relationship without any real repercussions the wholeway through. Then his radar goes down, his senses grow too strong to add some drama, but it's so big of a deal that he misses out on an important event. The more modern Daredevil I've read has much more depth, is much more easy to empathize with. Of course, I'm only one omnibus in to what's clearly the start of a dramatic shift for Daredevil.

Very excited to continue with the next omnibus, the Frank Miller Companion.

Oct 25, 2017
Rivera has recently done another comic that got good reviews so made me wonder if it was just her not gelling with capes.
You're probably right I'm reading through the first issue right now and it's like everything is technically fine but it's also poorly paced and awkward. But based off of my three minutes of googling it looks like that was her first comic which could easily explain that awkwardness.

Oct 25, 2017
"What the holy menstruation" is a line in this comic.
I don't know what's happening in this book she goes to I guess like a multiversal college and it's implied it's her first day but she goes directly to a class? Usually with a story it helps to like introduce your secondary characters like at all.

Okay you know what I made it an issue and a half and I'm bowing out this is terrible oh my god.

Last edited:

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
3c467e55bd9b0ddbf2bd0d9f48f8d4f7.jpg

I'm convinced that this panel was the beginning of the end of Alonso's tenure at Marvel.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't she make America being Latina a choice because she was an alien from the Utopian Parallel where there are no Earth-based ethnicities? So it was a super awkward speech where she described in detail a justification?

Why do I remember that being a thing somewhere?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending the book
Maybe Maybe
She's doing a Grant Morrison experiment where she has characters talk like a silver age almost parody hence shit like holy menstruation and Kate Bishop speech about lesbians

Still terrible and would point to author being comic newbie

I feel dirty bringing Grant Morrison

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Maybe
She's doing a Grant Morrison experiment where she has characters talk like a silver age almost parody hence shit like holy menstruation and Kate Bishop speech about lesbians

Or, in this case we use the all powerful Occam's Razor

She's a bad writer

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Maybe Maybe

I don't want Gabby Rivera to attempt the same metatextual magic that Grant Morrison tries to channel.

If her America Chavez breaks through the pages, we're all doomed.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Or, in this case we use the all powerful Occam's Razor

She's a bad writer
It can be both!!!!!
It just feeks like a parody of like old goofy comic but done crappy
Almost like done by a writer probably didn't read a lot of old comics
Idk it's terrible also Chavez goes to school for no reason
Only Kelly Thompson is allowed to write her now
I don't want Gabby Rivera to attempt the same metatextual magic that Grant Morrison tries to channel.

If her America Chavez breaks through the pages, we're all doomed.
If she does I'm betraying you all

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Al Ewing gave her a genuine relationship in Ultimates

First issue of her solo series throws it away just cuz

May 24, 2019
Strange Adventures continues to be interesting but I have no idea what it's leading to.

I'm guessing the JLs drop their investigation to help join the Stranges in their war against the Transformers, but Terrific can't let it go and tries to reveal their desception, but that falls on deaf ears because everyone else buys the story or dismisses his concern for what they think is the greater good.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Private Eye Riddler who posts on the same detective internet forums as Batman and Detective Chimp to steal their insights is my favourite Riddler.
Making the Riddler a detective and a 'good guy' was perfect for the character and a great idea by Dini.
So they did it for about a year and then he went back to being a villain again. Sigh.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Making the Riddler a detective and a 'good guy' was perfect for the character and a great idea by Dini.
So they did it for about a year and then he went back to being a villain again. Sigh.
Character development and redemption in comics is an illusion except for some membership of avengers or xmen

Status
Not open for further replies.