• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
For as similar as the characters are, I don't see as much backlash against Gobby as I've seen for Joker recently

Compare frequency of appearances in ASM. Since the turn of the century he's shown up in Sins Past (if you want to count that lol), like two arcs in BND, one major appearance in Superior, and then I think 2 arcs in Worldwide including Go Down Swining. And I guess the Absolute Carnage tie-in in Spencer's run. If I missed anything it's not much aside from that.

Even with this it's pretty clearly just a big piece of the Kindred plot rather than anything truly Norman-focused, since we know he knows who Kindred is.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The Green Goblin exists in a weird space where he has a ton of exposure but when examined closely don't really feel like he's overly relied on.

There's the 2002 film, yes, but it's the only real stab at him compared to Joker's 4 soon to be 5. Unless you want to count the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2, which I don't know why you would.

Of all the Spider-Man cartoons he isn't a serious character until the '94 series, which for some reason chose to have him come AFTER Hobgoblin, and he's only around for a short time.

He isn't around for Spider-Man Unlimited (well he is, but as a hero in an alt reality) or the MTV show (because it follows the 2002 movie where he died). Spectacular Spider-Man was the first real stab at having Goblin as a Joker tier final be all end all villain, but the show was cut down in its prime. Don't need to get into the post Spectacular Marvel cartoons.

His video game record is atrocious. No appearances in either of the PSX/N64 games. He was in the video game adaptation of the first Spider-Man film but that game is overshadowed hard by its sequel. He's a generic monster who shows up for one boss fight in that Ultimate Spider-Man game and doesn't speak at all (tangent: I don't have a problem with how Bendis wrote Norman character wise, but I will always hold a grudge against him for creating the incredibly boring Hulk-Goblin design reinvention that I always worry will get used over the classic version). Barely or no appearances in Web of Shadows or the Beenox games. And now it looks like Insomniac's Spider-man is completely abandoning the Goblin idea.

hipsterpants has covered his recent comic record.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also remember that Norman was straight up dead for 20 actual years until the god forsaken 90s clone saga had gone on for so long they just needed SOMEONE to be the mastermind behind this whole convoluted thing and said "fuck it Osborn back"

tumblr_nlw4a3buWL1t172jho1_1280.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm maybe, maybe. Id just need infinite time.

Know any who are up for the job?

I'm not sure they have ever been consistent. But honestly I couldn't even tell you what Batman's canon eye colour is either.

Google is telling me Batgirl's eyes are blue.
Gotta trust Google right?

Hmm google is also telling me they are green.

Let's say bluey/green.
Slayven might be available
For as similar as the characters are, I don't see as much backlash against Gobby as I've seen for Joker recently
Overall I see less GG than Joker.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also remember when Dark Reign happened and Osborn was in every damn marvel comic for like a year and a half. I think Slott mentioned the editors intentionally put him in the Hands Off zone for years after that cuz people got burnt out on him. He had to wait until the end of his Superior run to use in Goblin Nation.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
GG adaptations will always be at a disadvantage since the most significant event in their relationship will never, ever, ever appear outside of the comics again. Even Insomniac Peter is old enough for Gwen to get snapped and she just doesn't exist, probably because Slott has afflicted us with the curse that multiverse bullshit will now appear in every Spider-Man story for the rest of time so Spider-Gwen can appear.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I did in the Avengers game was play a mini game to collect a Nick Spencer comic, maybe it is the worst thing ever.

(I actually am very much enjoying it so far)
rofl

"Congratulations, you've collected Amazing Spider-Man #509 through 514!"

Kamala: "My favorite!"

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Also remember that Norman was straight up dead for 20 actual years until the god forsaken 90s clone saga had gone on for so long they just needed SOMEONE to be the mastermind behind this whole convoluted thing and said "fuck it Osborn back"

tumblr_nlw4a3buWL1t172jho1_1280.jpg
The red cornrows of power!

No man can defeat a haircut like that.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give them credit, at least Stormin' Norman has done things and been a major player in the comics since he came back. Unlike his son who was suddenly a playboy for 5 seconds and then did nothing for over a decade.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I like post return Norman for being such a complete bastard, but I also think Harry's tenure as the Goblin outdoes Norman's pre death days

stalk.jpg

SP4yhpfx_0408140649211.JPG

tumblr_n5uwfpe3bq1ru1hc6o1_1280.jpg

DeMatteis using Harry's silly 60s lingo as just his regular speaking style as the Goblin was an inspired choice

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I like post return Norman for being such a complete bastard, but I also think Harry's tenure as the Goblin outdoes Norman's pre death days

stalk.jpg

DeMatteis using Harry's silly 60s lingo as just his regular speaking style as the Goblin was an inspired choice

why the FUCK isn't DeMatteis' entire Spectacular run available digitally marvel. I want to give you my money!

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

stalk.jpg

The Harry Osborn Green Goblin Saga is like top 10 Spidey material and yet you straight up can't find it on CMX. Make that make sense.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Should I open my signed monstress hardcover for some long weekend reading?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I used to go on the Masterworks forums and there was a dude there who was on a crusade for a DeMatteis Spidey omnibus. No clue if he's still fighting the good fight.
I dont blame him.
Its freaking weird how it has never been collected properly.
Doubly so considering how many other Spider-man volumes there are.
Some of much, much worse material.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One more day got an Omnibus before DeMatteis

like I'm starting to think there's some vendetta between marvel and DeMatteis

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Another question is why on earth hasn't there been an omnibus of it?
Considering how highly rated it was.

despite having literally every issue of ASM, there are massive gaps in every other spider-title pre-clone saga on digital. want to know how black cat got injured in Stern's run? guess you'll have to google that shit because the issues aren't there!

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The DeMatteis omnibus is surprisingly high on the annual "Most Wanted Omnibus" list that gets shared widely among the collecting community and does seem to be moving upward year to year. Marvel's confirmed that it follows the list, so hopefully just a matter of time.

#20 Avengers SA Vol 5
#19 Daredevil SA Vol 2
#18 Wolverine Vol 2
#17 X-Factor Investigations
#16 (Tie) Spider-Man by Defalco
#16 (Tie) Sub-Mariner SA
#15 Spectacular Spider-Man by Dematteis
#14 Silver Surfer by Englehart
#13 Hulk SA Vol 2
#12 Generation X
#11 Captain America SA Vol 3
#10 Avengers by Stern
#9 New Mutants 2
#8 Romnibus
#7 Daredevil by Nocenti
#6 SA Dr. Strange 2
#5 Thor by Aaron
#4 Spider-Man by Michelinie and Bagley
#3 Amazing Spider-Man 5
#2 Uncanny X-Men 5
#1 Fantastic Four 4

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The DeMatteis omnibus is surprisingly high on the annual "Most Wanted Omnibus" list that gets shared widely among the collecting community and does seem to be moving upward year to year. Marvel's confirmed that it follows the list, so hopefully just a matter of time.

#20 Avengers SA Vol 5
#19 Daredevil SA Vol 2
#18 Wolverine Vol 2
#17 X-Factor Investigations
#16 (Tie) Spider-Man by Defalco
#16 (Tie) Sub-Mariner SA
#15 Spectacular Spider-Man by Dematteis
#14 Silver Surfer by Englehart
#13 Hulk SA Vol 2
#12 Generation X
#11 Captain America SA Vol 3
#10 Avengers by Stern
#9 New Mutants 2
#8 Romnibus
#7 Daredevil by Nocenti
#6 SA Dr. Strange 2
#5 Thor by Aaron
#4 Spider-Man by Michelinie and Bagley
#3 Amazing Spider-Man 5
#2 Uncanny X-Men 5
#1 Fantastic Four 4

Michelinie and Bagley...

aka the robot parents omnibus

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
remember that they made a Spider-Man by Byrne omnibus and released it so that real people could spend real money on it. At least it wasn't a Mackie omnibus.

My hope is that if Harry is Kindred they'll be inspired to release a DeMatteis Omni so anyone not wanting to sail the seven seas can read the story it would be referencing.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
remember that they made a Spider-Man by Byrne omnibus and released it so that real people could spend real money on it. At least it wasn't a Mackie omnibus.

My hope is that if Harry is Kindred they'll be inspired to release a DeMatteis Omni so anyone not wanting to sail the seven seas can read the story it would be referencing.
why you calling me out like this

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Classic Batman update. 115 issues before Crisis

I've Passed the halfway mark in my read of Batman books leading up to COIE! Ive now read 122 issues of the total 237 to get where I started with Detective comics & Batman to post crisis. And after that I'm hopeful I can make it through the Knightfall trilogy. The even that I first read getting into comics

So I'm midway through the Conway era and I thing outside of the short Englehart run, this has been my favorite stretch so far. The Batman tone is working for me where he's not too sassy like Wein and not too much a wierd jerk like some of the O'Neal issues. Really good prose descriptions for the books, sets up longer arc plans. Right now I just wrapped up poison ivy almost stealing all of Bruce's money and a very contested mayoral race. Plus it's cool to have Thorne back in the mix

His run is collected in 3 trades, and I'd recommend them if you want some good pre crisis Batman fun.

I'm also interested how long Bruce has been in the penthouse era and how much they want to focus on him doing business dealings and doing Wayne enterprise things. Across many different writers they want to have this leading both lives at max intensity. Which is interesting. Latest development is Vicky Vale is back. Who is someone I've really only read in a couple comics. And yet seems to have strong presence in Batman mythos even before the Burton Batman movie. Not sure where it came from.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Panther 2 thread is wild. People are proposing transplanting T'challa's brain into Killmonger.
www.resetera.com

Hollywood Reporter:Disney Grapples With How to Proceed on 'Black Panther' Without Chadwick Boseman

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social On Aug. 28, Marvel chief creative officer Kevin Feige received an urgent email regarding Chadwick Boseman, with no further information...
Is it weird i think i it's kinda gross to already talk about replacing him in what feels like less than a week

The Killmonger and MBJ suggestions are pissing me off for some reason

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Miles Morales omnibus by Bendis, a good jumping on point for someone who's only seen Into the Spider-verse?

May 24, 2019

Sorry. I assumed it contained the Ultimate Universe stuff. The 2020 omnibus looks like it's just the second half of the story when he gets brought over to the regular universe.
This all comes first.

Amazon - Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus (Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man): Pichelli, Sara, Samnee, Chris, Marquez, David, Larraz, Pepe, Bendis, Brian Michael: 9781302911751: Books

Amazon - Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus (Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man): Pichelli, Sara, Samnee, Chris, Marquez, David, Larraz, Pepe, Bendis, Brian Michael: 9781302911751: Books
You'd be missing out on the best stuff.

Here's the first trade since that omni looks expensive/out of print?

Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Book 1 (Ultimate Spider-Man (Graphic Novels), 1): Pichelli, Sara, Samnee, Chris, Marquez, David, Bendis, Brian Michael: 9780785197782: Books

Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Book 1 (Ultimate Spider-Man (Graphic Novels), 1): Pichelli, Sara, Samnee, Chris, Marquez, David, Bendis, Brian Michael: 9780785197782: Books

Last edited:

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Because it's lazy fanboyism at its worst and approaching Grace Randolph-tier wishing.

You know that some Disney exec is probably trying to lowball John David Washington or someone like him into a exploitative, 10-year contract as we speak.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry. I assumed it contained the Ultimate Universe stuff.
This all comes first.

You'd be missing out on the best stuff.

Here's the first trade since that omni looks out of print.

Cool, I'll look into that one first. Luckily I can get the omnibus off Amazon UK!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Because it's lazy fanboyism at its worst and approaching Grace Randolph-tier wishing.
It's beyond dumb.

Wow, that looks fantastic.

Time to trade wait this mofo.

Status
Not open for further replies.