• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling Deja Vu with this discussion.

I never liked Spider-Man going global, or joining the Avengers or whatever. I thought that the explanation from back during Stan Lee's time that Peter had too much of a life being Peter Parker to be able to go beyond the local level. Which worked until the 2000s when they decided that didn't matter anymore. And I know, comic time makes no sense. But it worked! And is a good reminder that Spider-Man is just as much about Peter's life as his regular adventures suited up.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I find Spider-Gwen way more interesting than Miles.
Silk is also more interesting than miles
Miles is fine
tenor.gif

I never liked Spider-Man going global, or joining the Avengers or whatever. I thought that the explanation from back during Stan Lee's time that Peter had too much of a life being Peter Parker to be able to go beyond the local level. Which worked until the 2000s when they decided that didn't matter anymore. And I know, comic time makes no sense. But it worked! And is a good reminder that Spider-Man is just as much about Peter's life as his regular adventures suited up.
Right, but then they did it. It's been done. It's similar to the X-Men problem: of course the Mutants should largely hate the standard heroes. They keep getting genocided and the Avengers/FF do less than nothing. It's the issue of the shared universe and the realities of comic publishing outside of the stories themselves.

Spider-man does Avengers and crossover shit because he's Marvel's most popular hero, but doing that means the small city struggle doesn't make much sense. You're fighting the tide, essentially.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling Deja Vu with this discussion.

This is also how I feel. Peter Parker shouldn't have enough time in the day to be an Avenger, but then that just stopped being a factor in how the Marvel universe ran and he could show up wherever he wanted.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I only found miles interesting with his latest run. Most of miles stuff prior was peak Bendis tropes and that shit is TIRING

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only found miles interesting with his latest run. Most of miles stuff prior was peak Bendis tropes and that shit is TIRING

I like Peter's status quo but Miles also provides a fascinating opportunity to let Peter grow and change as a character that Marvel seems afraid to take sometime.

I like Spencer's run plenty but there's a reason that first volume was titled Back To Basics, which is usually the worst possible title you can apply to any ongoing character.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silk's origin is so bad that she genuinely deserves to not be a character anymore.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That Miles opinion also applies to Riri

Who I also find infinitely more engaging not written by Bendis. And unlike Miles, Bendis was gone from Riri very quickly.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hope that now we have Miles, Marvel will allow Peter to have his wife back.
And maybe, just maybe, his kid.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
That Miles opinion also applies to Riri

Who I also find infinitely more engaging not written by Bendis. And unlike Miles, Bendis was gone from Riri very quickly.
Not quick enough
Riri was then written by waid wasn't until Wells and eve she got actually interesting and not potentially interesting

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the EIC is such a big a Runaways fan and can't read Champions and instantly see that Zub is *the* young heroes guy. I'd be shocked if DC doesn't poach him for a team book.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I think Silk works fine if you remove everything related to Peter and the totems. Spider-girl raised on TV in a bunker with some mysteries like her parents or why she was put in there.

I'm looking forward to her solo no matter how short it is lol, has a fun pitch.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The original Champions lineup was:

Viv Vision
Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
Hulk (Amadeus Cho)
Kid Nova (Sam Alexander)
Cyclops (Scott Summers from the past) joined a couple issues later.

They got allies that popped in and out, but that was it. Cyclops and Kamala were co-leaders.

Zub's first lineup was:

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Ironheart (Riri Williams)
Wasp (Nadia Van Dyne)
Viv Vision
Amadeus Cho (he got a new codename and all that but I forget it)
Kid Nova (Sam Alexander)
Snowguard (Amka Aliyak)

They then added:

Patriot (Rayshaun Lucas)
Falcon (Joaquin Torres)
Power Man (Vic Alvarez)
Red Locust (Fernanda Rodriguez, who popped up during Waid's run a couple of times)
Pinpoint (Qureshi Gupta)

Now Eve Ewing is adding Silk, which why I dunno.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think Zeb Wells is the young Hero guy, I think he's the team guy. And his team books are fantastic and sell bangers.

Hellions is all the proof you need.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The original Champions lineup was:

Viv Vision
Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Hulk (Amadeus Cho)
Kid Nova (Sam Alexander)
Cyclops (Scott Summers from the past) joined a couple issues later.

They got allies that popped in and out, but that was it. Cyclops and Kamala were co-leaders.

Zub's first lineup was:

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Ironheart (Riri Williams)
Wasp (Nadia Van Dyne)
Viv Vision
Amadeus Cho (he got a new codename and all that but I forget it)
Kid Nova (Sam Alexander)
Snowguard (Amka Aliyak)

They then added:

Patriot (Rayshaun Lucas)
Falcon (Joaquin Torres)
Power Man (Vic Alvarez)
Red Locust (Fernanda Rodriguez, who popped up during Waid's run a couple of times)
Pinpoint (Qureshi Gupta)

Now Eve Ewing is adding Silk, which why I dunno.
Its amazing that Marvel now has so many legacy heroes, but DC was afraid of having both Barry and Wally at the same time.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
The "web of life" is the dumbest fucking thing in the Spider-man mythos.

Marvel is yet to write a good Miles or a good Peter/Miles dynamic. It's ridiculous that Sony and Insomniac can do it but Marvel can't.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "web of life" is the dumbest fucking thing in the Spider-man mythos.

Marvel is yet to write a good Miles or a good Peter/Miles dynamic. It's ridiculous that Sony and Insomniac can do it but Marvel can't.

My take is that for Miles and Peter to have a good dynamic Peter can't be his contemporary. He needs to be older, more experienced, while still respecting Miles as an equal partner in crime fighting.

Marvel is very, very afraid of anything that can make Peter look older than 21.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
My take is that for Miles and Peter to have a good dynamic Peter can't be his contemporary. He needs to be older, more experienced, while still respecting Miles as an equal partner in crime fighting.

Marvel is very, very afraid of anything that can make Peter look older than 21.
Its so dumb. Let Peter age a bit, let him have his family.
This should open up way more story ideas than close them.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Look if Donny Cates can take the Venom suit from a dumb alien suit that Peter accidentally got on an alien world to an entire race that's the byproduct of an abyssal god's forging of a celestial sword.

Then making a Spider family shouldn't be hard or any less convincing.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Look if Donny Cates can take the Venom suit from a dumb alien suit that Peter accidentally got on an alien world to an entire race that's the byproduct of an abyssal god's forging of a celestial sword.

Then making a Spider family shouldn't be hard or any less convincing.
Making peter old is harder then making Hulk powers come from the devil

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
alvaro martinez bueno dark knight returns commission

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Eh, even if I find Spencer's run painfully run of the mill, I can say at least that it reads like Marvel is willing to let Peter age finally.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
This last page or so of takes:
dad61a6a0e715adc38df13dfd2e0544a.jpg

(I actually have no problem with Peter with a family. Evolution is fine.)

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't gotten to Gillen yet but man Young Avengers keeps feeling like an ip that could be great but not giving enough focus or time

The Young Avengers presents is fine its character stuff that should have been in the main series

Reading the event mini series starting with Civil War one

I don't know why they keep pretending that Iron Lad had been on the team for long
Cassie keeps acting like Iron lad was the love of her life but they barely interacted at all because they immediately jump to kang basically taking iron lad away
They weren't even dating
Young vision has been on the longer

I wish i can just read Gillen but i must torture myself with dull minis

Status
Not open for further replies.