• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm already caught up with Jujutsu, thought it meandered a bit there before the current arc.
Have you read any of Undead Unluck.
I'm about 9 chapters in and to be honest I'm still not sure what to make of it.
Its very gory and the tone is all over the place. But I'm compelled to see what happens next.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Carlos Gomez confirms they are back on America's Mini

EjGoF9uWkAID5Ry
Why

I can't believe I'm suddenly watching a ton of weekly anime again.

Jujutsu Kaisen
Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai
Fire Force
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

You let your guard down for a second and anime has you again.
There's a new Higurashi???

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking into what anime is out at the beginning of next year and realised there is a new adaption of Shaman King on the way.
Talk about a nice surprise.

She disabled her spine chip thing to beat Joker in the Batgirl tie-in. I wouldn't count on that sticking.
I'm not bothered if she can walk or not. I just want her back as Oracle.
I still think it was a terrible decision by DC to revert her back to Batgirl.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Strange was a self involved little prick during the Sorcerer Supreme run.

Well, I guess he still is, but also was.

GjLsY8n.png

Brother Voodoo's origin was all kinds of messed up too.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Man, Strange was a self involved little prick during the Sorcerer Supreme run.

Well, I guess he still is, but also was.

GjLsY8n.png

Brother Voodoo's origin was all kinds of messed up too.
I remember my interest dropping quick when Strange "died" (think it was david quinn's run). The costume change after didn't do any favours either

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
My sons are back. I love this arc for Bakugo and a few others and the one after might be my favourite MHA arc so far.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yep a new adaption. Episode 1 is out.

Hey in the preview of Batman #100, Barbara is back as Oracle.
Finally someone realised how much more interesting she was in the role.
A lot of people have been doing that with Barbara, but the opportunity hasn't happened until now
I was just looking into what anime is out at the beginning of next year and realised there is a new adaption of Shaman King on the way.
Talk about a nice surprise.

I'm not bothered if she can walk or not. I just want her back as Oracle.
I still think it was a terrible decision by DC to revert her back to Batgirl.
Yeah but that's DiDio with needing his originals back in their roles.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barbara might have stayed out of the Batgirl role if media adaptations would let Cassandra Cain have some time in the sun.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people have been doing that with Barbara, but the opportunity hasn't happened until now

Yeah but that's DiDio with needing his originals back in their roles.

Didio's logic was so bad. With his logic, no changes could EVER happen to the characters. That's fine for someone like Batman or Superman, but for other heroes you need changes to make things fresh.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about she was in Birds of prey?
LOL

I mean that both BTAS and The Batman (and probably more I'm forgetting) used Barbara as Batgirl even when she was Oracle.

Cass has the best origin of any possible member of the Bat Family, and her powers are Taskmaster on overdrive. She's an amazing character and she's been criminally underused.

Didio's logic was so bad. With his logic, no changes could EVER happen to the characters. That's fine for someone like Batman or Superman, but for other heroes you need changes to make things fresh.

DiDio's logic makes sense coming from the perspective of someone who's in charge of characters who were beloved pop culture icons before he was born and will remain as such long after his death.

The ideal state of the comics industry is that every seven years brings a complete refresh of readers, and nobody says anything about continuity.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I mean that both BTAS and The Batman (and probably more I'm forgetting) used Barbara as Batgirl even when she was Oracle.

Cass has the best origin of any possible member of the Bat Family, and her powers are Taskmaster on overdrive. She's an amazing character and she's been criminally underused.

DiDio's logic makes sense coming from the perspective of someone who's in charge of characters who were beloved pop culture icons before he was born and will remain as such long after his death.

The ideal state of the comics industry is that every seven years brings a complete refresh of readers, and nobody says anything about continuity.

That doesn't sound ideal at all IMO. They need to embrace their characters and stop trying to make the timeline make sense.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't sound ideal at all IMO. They need to embrace their characters and stop trying to make the timeline make sense.

How do you tell an infinite amount of stories with a limited amount of characters?

You and I were "supposed" to stop reading comics a long time ago and let kids pick them up, but the market changed.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Also while we have the Champions, bet 10 bucks they'll be renamed the Young Avengers soon and they just merge the teams.

No, because the Young Avengers are from a different era. They're all beloved, but they're also from an era where it was enough to have one black character as a token and a gay couple and think "Well, we've done our job for the diversity audience."

Meanwhile the Champions founders are Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and Amadeus Cho. They're a lot straighter than they should be if we're aiming for diversity, but still. I wouldn't want to see them shoved into the Young Avengers, most of whom are just "Avengers" now.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Didio can fuck right off with his silver age wankery.
I mean I know he's gone, I just mean in general lol.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
How do you tell an infinite amount of stories with a limited amount of characters?

You and I were "supposed" to stop reading comics a long time ago and let kids pick them up, but the market changed.

I've heard this before.

In cartoons. In wrestling. In video games, though it's much quieter there.

I think they need to learn to adapt and learn how to create different books for different audiences. If you want to reach kids, maybe hire someone who knows what the Scholastic Book Fair is. Did you know DC had someone like that for a while?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Genshin Impact is a lot of fun but there are so many little things that I cant stand. Especially the gotcha stuff and the F2P design. Ive been trying to come at it without even worrying about those elements but the further I get in the more it becomes clear that its designed from the ground up with that stuff in mind. Im about to just delete it off my PS4 so I dont bother with it, but the gameplay is so much fun damnit.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Kesel and Nord run of Daredevil! This whole Epic has been solid. Like, probably the most consistently enjoyable read since Frank Miller for me. It started with the DeMatteis Dante's Inferno run with Daredevil facing an identity crisis, which was really good for "return to status quo arc." And then Kesel just had a lot of fun making Matt enjoy being a super hero again. Honestly, it read a lot like Spider-Man and didn't fit the tone and personality of Daredevil whatsoever, but it was still great. And super easy to read, unlike a lot of Daredevil for years now. The only big disappointment is that Kesel clearly didn't get to finish his arc like he had in mind. Karen's radio show gig was really interesting stuff, but they blew it up in just two issues with Insomnia and Mister Fear, who were totally lame. I'm guessing sales weren't what they wanted. At least Kesel got to keep Daredevil happy for his whole run, keep him and Karen together as a couple with only light drama. Wholesome stuff.

Which leads directly into the final Daredevil arc of Vol. 1, with Joe Kelly and Gene Colan, Ariel Olivetti, others, and then the Flying Blind series by Lobdell. I'm only an issue in and this feels much, much more 90s than what's come prior. This is 97/98 so it's to be expected, I guess.

I'm worried this last Epic will be a bit of a toil, but I'm really looking forward to finishing so that I can start Daredevil Vol. 2 from Keven Smith.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Genshin Impact is a lot of fun but there are so many little things that I cant stand. Especially the gotcha stuff and the F2P design. Ive been trying to come at it without even worrying about those elements but the further I get in the more it becomes clear that its designed from the ground up with that stuff in mind. Im about to just delete it off my PS4 so I dont bother with it, but the gameplay is so much fun damnit.
My thoughts exactly. It's a lot of fun but some of the controls just feel off or something. And that combined with the F2P stuff really put me off. Maybe that's it, they feel like phone controls. It's especially a shame because as a F2P game it's looks pretty great and I love having 4 characters at a directional press. But it's already reminding me of my last F2P, Dragalia Lost and I don't want to get pulled that far in.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
No, because the Young Avengers are from a different era. They're all beloved, but they're also from an era where it was enough to have one black character as a token and a gay couple and think "Well, we've done our job for the diversity audience."

Meanwhile the Champions founders are Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and Amadeus Cho. They're a lot straighter than they should be if we're aiming for diversity, but still. I wouldn't want to see them shoved into the Young Avengers, most of whom are just "Avengers" now.
I get the feeling they'll tweak things to fit the YA moniker, remember there's reports Chavez is gonna be a tween in Strange and Patriot in there somewhere

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The MCU retiring the originals and moving on to legacy heroes while still retaining the excitement and probable billions of dollars on profit destroys Didio's entire view of comic characters.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
DiDio'a logic of "the older characters don't age, so if the younger characters age and then stop aging it creates a logjam of progression AKA the Nightwing problem" is dumb because really all that means is that you just have to age the older characters, but his counteraction to that is even weirder because he actually reversed the progress. Aging the older characters isn't even that big of a deal. You can throw some gray into Bruce's hair and keep the same build. That leads to his second point of legacies not being as strong as the originals because they "don't stand on their own aka the Wally West problem," which is another moot point because having original character with a key point of their story being their legacy works fine. Stargirl as a show is completely new to people. In that show you barely know Starman (as far as S1 goes), yet it's all about legacy and family. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is all about being the "next Chosen Slayer". Buffy's like the next of 100 before her (and that's a very lowballed number), and yet she's a compelling character on her own. The logic doesn't pan.

While there is the element of perpetually new readership entering at the same level, it's a nonsense notion. Like, the idea of these characters remaining the same only matters to people who aren't going to read the comics, and those adaptions will adapt those stories as such. People know that the media outside comics adapts the comics and the comics change, so if Batman is someone else in the comics, well okay then. The movies don't have to. The shows don't have to. Games don't have to. Not only that, the stories that have those characters exist, and can be read at any time. New stories with new characters can be created now.

DiDio was just appealing to an older audience and using verbal gymnastics to get his point across. Some straight "I want what I want" logic twisted so it seemed best for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.