• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So what even is Jason Todd's Red Hood origin these days? Sounds like in Three Jokers he just wasnt actually 100% dead when they buried him lol. No Talia or Lazarus Pit. Just some dude forget to check his pulse when they buried him?
That was odd writing from Johns, but I think he was dead. I think Bruce's regret is that he wasn't the one who tried to bring him back. That he just buried him and let him be dead. Because otherwise Bruce buried him alive and that makes no sense.

His origin since Rebirth is basically same as it ever was.They go on a mission, Jason gets killed by Joker, gets dug up by the League of Assassins, then his New 52 component is that Talia takes him to this secret sect super monks to get trained to fight the supernatural.

Jason still becomes an actual villain though at some point first.

May 24, 2019
I think it'd be more strange to see Joker learn anything about the bat family that he didn't somehow already know.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
His origin since Rebirth is basically same as it ever was.They go on a mission, Jason gets killed by Joker, gets dug up by the League of Assassins, then his New 52 component is that Talia takes him to this secret sect super monks to get trained to fight the supernatural.
Right,right, thanks!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
just gotta say how much i love this thread, cuz when the news broke about trump folk here just kept talking about jason todd and wizard magazine.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised we didn't get a gaming side thread like "Trump has Corona. What does this mean for the PS5?"

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Black Hammer news from Lemire -- Zdarsky, Mariko Tamaki, Scott Snyder!?

120540208_10105976423262253_6703071331574397833_n.jpg

Lemire also says that his new post-Gideon Falls project with Sorrentino is already moving forward, plus that they may revisit Gideon Falls one one way or another in the future.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this Atelier Ryza game is such a Messi game lol. The main plot is about Ryza and her 2 BFFs just wanting to leave their small village and go on an adventure. No end of the world crap, just wholesome Ryza and adventure.

Lemire also says that his new post-Gideon Falls project with Sorrentino is already moving forward, plus that they may revisit Gideon Falls one one way or another in the future.
Oh, neat. I didnt know Gideon Falls was nearing its end. Ive been waiting to read more of it for when they do a big collected edition.

BTW, if you see Absolute Carnage Omni getting restocked at IST, lemme know please! Im hoping they either get it in by the time the Mister Miracle DLX is out or they already grabbed one and set it aside for me lol.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wolverine Black White and Red is getting a treasury edition? I hate those things.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black Hammer news from Lemire -- Zdarsky, Mariko Tamaki, Scott Snyder!?

120540208_10105976423262253_6703071331574397833_n.jpg

I feel like Black Hammer is like, literally a dream for any superhero comic writer. Lemire built his own sandbox out of pastiches of his favorite characters, and not only do people PAY HIM to keep playing in it, but he's got some of the best creatives in the industry willing to help him write and draw stuff for it. Like, damn, I'm jealous.

Reminds me I still need to order the second Library Edition, too... and the World of Black Hammer one, if that came out yet.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Black Hammer is like, literally a dream for any superhero comic writer. Lemire built his own sandbox out of pastiches of his favorite characters, and not only do people PAY HIM to keep playing in it, but he's got some of the best creatives in the industry willing to help him write and draw stuff for it. Like, damn, I'm jealous.

Reminds me I still need to order the second Library Edition, too... and the World of Black Hammer one, if that came out yet.

I kinda wish it would have ended after the first main series though. The Age of Doom was such a letdown to me that I've gone from buying all the Black Hammer stuff to just ignoring it now.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, the first episode of Jujutsu Kaisen is today.
I hope they do the manga justice.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish it would have ended after the first main series though. The Age of Doom was such a letdown to me that I've gone from buying all the Black Hammer stuff to just ignoring it now.

I don't disagree - I actually still haven't finished Age of Doom, I got to the two-part Colonel Weird interlude thing and sort of dropped off. The first volume feels like Lemire riffing on Moore (build a world around pastiches, tell a character-driven narrative and tease out that world), and Lemire's really good at that kind of thing. The second feels like Lemire riffing on Morrison (use characters to drive a metanarrative about the nature of the genre and medium) and he's, uhh, not as good at that.

So yeah, I wouldn't have minded if he just went full-steam ahead on the spin-offs and let the "main narrative" go. I really do love the style and "vibe" of the universe. Just keep putting out the Not Starman and Not Martian Manhunter books, that's good enough for me.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even mind who Kindred turns out to be in the end.
I just want to see Peter and Norman going at it next issue.
That's all I need in life.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree - I actually still haven't finished Age of Doom, I got to the two-part Colonel Weird interlude thing and sort of dropped off. The first volume feels like Lemire riffing on Moore (build a world around pastiches, tell a character-driven narrative and tease out that world), and Lemire's really good at that kind of thing. The second feels like Lemire riffing on Morrison (use characters to drive a metanarrative about the nature of the genre and medium) and he's, uhh, not as good at that.

So yeah, I wouldn't have minded if he just went full-steam ahead on the spin-offs and let the "main narrative" go. I really do love the style and "vibe" of the universe. Just keep putting out the Not Starman and Not Martian Manhunter books, that's good enough for me.

Age of Doom definitely goes full Morrison and it just didn't land at all. The whole line was worth it though for that Doctor Star (or whatever his name is now) mini. Talk about a Lemire leaning into his strengths as a writer, for my money that's the best Black Hammer branded comic.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

yar, that's a good way to describe it. creators can go into black hammer and write about a DC superhero parallel with all the freedom they'd otherwise never be given by DC.

i picked up the second library last week. don't think the World of book has been released yet.
i mostly just wish Age of Doom was better. i definitely wanted a continuation of the original series, but it felt like lemire mostly just tried to do the same thing only much much worse. still some fun ideas there, thugh.

interesting take on the moore vs. morrison perspective. i never thought about that.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yar, that's a good way to describe it. creators can go into black hammer and write about a DC superhero parallel with all the freedom they'd otherwise never be given by DC.

i picked up the second library last week. don't think the World of book has been released yet.

i mostly just wish Age of Doom was better. i definitely wanted a continuation of the original series, but it felt like lemire mostly just tried to do the same thing only much much worse. still some fun ideas there, thugh.

interesting take on the moore vs. morrison perspective. i never thought about that.

Age of Doom was very much Lemire trying to do Limbo via Animal Man and Final Crisis, and that just doesn't suit his style or play to his strengths as a writer.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Age of Doom was very much Lemire trying to do Limbo via Animal Man and Final Crisis, and that just doesn't suit his style or play to his strengths as a writer.
*turns head to see both of my unread animal man and final crisis omnibuses* dang. that probably explains why it didn't click with me.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting from the Horror thread but:

Read through The Low, Low Woods last night. Very touching and pretty creepy too. The art was a bit muddled at times, but it did tend to give a bit to the "creeping unknown" feeling. Loved the two female leads as well, I'd happily read more.

Also read the first issue of Constantine from the tpb. It's uhhhh really really really really good? God damnit DC, you goofs. Loved starting in the thick of everything, and it showing how John is a true "bastard" through and through.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Jorge is staying on Batman in 2021.

Jorge Jimenez and Tynion is a pretty nice combo. With a dash of Guillem March on every few issues.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Any comic sales nerds on here should know that comichron did their math on the full August numbers, combining Diamond and DC. The Joker War is so powerful that Batgirl outsold Empyre and Hellions in the 3rd best-selling X-Book, meaning Alex fans might actually have good taste.

i knowwww. I've reached the point where i have TOO MANY omnis that i should be prioritizing, but here i am reading a 1997 daredevil epic...

I'd you ever decide you feel like reading terrible comics and crack open that Spider-Man by Byrne omni I will suffer through Year One with you lol

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i knowwww. I've reached the point where i have TOO MANY omnis that i should be prioritizing, but here i am reading a 1997 daredevil epic...

I'm in no place to pass judgement since I'm over here reading world war hulk on purpose, but I really can't recommend Animal Man enough.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Any comic sales nerds on here should know that comichron did their math on the full August numbers, combining Diamond and DC. The Joker War is so powerful that Batgirl outsold Empyre and Hellions in the 3rd best-selling X-Book, meaning Alex fans might actually have good taste.
That's kind of bad, because all DC will take from it is more and more Batman focus.
I know that's basically most of their output at the moment anyway.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy to have Jimenez still being on Batman after Joker War. Wonder if they are going to switch to monthly releases in 2021, or if itll stay twice monthly.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd you ever decide you feel like reading terrible comics and crack open that Spider-Man by Byrne omni I will suffer through Year One with you lol
hahah, I've had that book for so long now and i kept putting it off because my spidey omnibus collection was still growing. I'm running out of excuses to start a reading of books from that era.
I'm in no place to pass judgement since I'm over here reading world war hulk on purpose, but I really can't recommend Animal Man enough.
yar, I've read up to the Wiley Coyote issue before and loved all of it. it's gonna get read. ... daredevil first tho. and maybe the terry moore verse. and... oh god.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hahah, I've had that book for so long now and i kept putting it off because my spidey omnibus collection was still growing. I'm running out of excuses to start a reading of books from that era.

yar, I've read up to the Wiley Coyote issue before and loved all of it. it's gonna get read. ... daredevil first tho. and maybe the terry moore verse. and... oh god.

the Coyote Gospel is one of my favorite single issues of all time 😍

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Bryne's Spider-man supposed to be a reboot, but it just didn't happen?

Yeah, that's explicitly why they brought in Byrne to "fix" the character after the Clone Saga and mid-90s.. Year One was supposed to be the new origin story and Mackie's run references it in a few places. That's why Aunt May was brought back and MJ was killed off. Of course it was terrible and mostly ignored by JMS when he took over. The worst part is that post-Clone Saga Spider-Man isn't that bad, but the damage necessitated some major changes, which took until JMS to pull off.

Want to know who decided on it? Bob Harras.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Gathering of Five is honest to god the worst spider man story of all time
I own the trade lol.

I actually quite liked the twist that Norman thought he gained power from the ritual, but he actually gained madness.
So one chapter ends with him 'killing' Spider-man but the next chapter reveals he was already beaten and just halucinating. But yeah, the story sucks.
And fuck me the Green Goblin costume in that story was bad.
Who designed this mess?

61nfYL1veUL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But Gathering of Five is still not as bad as One More Day.
That story is the stink that to this day still reaks.
Whereas most people have forgotten Gathering of Five.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
THats kind of my thought. I kept scrolling couple notable bad stretches I don't want to revisit a lot was "yea I want to reread that". And I do want to read Morrison in a non monthly format

The period between Knightfall and No Man's Land is a bit of a blur for me but, man, there is some really good stuff from NML to Morrison. Especially Greg Rucka 'Tec.

But then again War Games is in there too so...

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Gathering of Five is honest to god the worst spider man story of all time
That can't be true when "Changes" exists. It's so bad that all the totem bullshit and insect Queen is forgotten and memory-holed into the "Other" arc.

Peter Parker gets turned into a spider, gets pregnant, and gives birth to himself. That can't be topped.

61wN24GRgvL.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody else read Greg Rucka's novel adaption of No Man's Land?
I highly recommended it. Its the only Batman novel I have ever read, but it is very good.

This is my copy. Its got a cool ass cover.

Photo-02-10-2020-18-38-00.jpg

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
That can't be true when "Changes" exists. It's so bad that all the totem bullshit and insect Queen is forgotten and memory-holed into the "Other" arc.

Peter Parker gets turned into a spider, gets pregnant, and gives birth to himself. That can't be topped.

61wN24GRgvL.jpg

The biggest question of 2000s Spider-Man is why are there TWO stories with him getting organic powers??? Did they forget this happened when writing The Other? Did JMS refuse to follow this and the editors were like fuck you, we're forcing a crossover where you'll have to acknowledge it?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Hickman wrote a Shang-Chi mini or single issue around the time of Secret Wars? I know Shang-Chi was in his Avengers stuff, and Avengers World. But I could have sworn there was a single issue or something he did when Secret Wars was going on or something.

Has anybody else read Greg Rucka's novel adaption of No Man's Land?
I highly recommended it. Its the only Batman novel I have ever read, but it is very good.

This is my copy. Its got a cool ass cover.

Photo-02-10-2020-18-38-00.jpg
I did a book report for this book back in 6th grade lol. Wish I knew where my copy went, id totally read it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.