• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whose art do you like more?

• Pepe Larazz (House of X, best Rogue in comics?)

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Jorge Jimenez (Batman, Creator of Punchline)

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bgQ6PJpxvwuL3aLmKhebpB-1200-80.jpg

empyre2020005_reviewcopy-12_0.jpg
Yeah I remember when I realized I just didn't earn a Ewing F4 run, didn't work hard enough for it.

May 24, 2019
I thought those were supposed to be bad.

What foolishness is this?
thecoolkidztable.blogspot.com

Underrated/Overlooked: JLA by Kelly & Mahnke

Joe Kelly should probably be the poster boy for being underrated and overlooked in comic books. That I make that statement despite Joe Kelly...

You Seriously Need to Read Joe Kelly's JLA Run

Idealism is not dead. Joe Kelly is personally responsible for what I consider one of the most politically conscious, ethically challenging, and respectfully diverse comic runs ever written. I'm talking about his JLA run—a run that followed two of the hardest acts in the entire sequential-art...
(I haven't actually read the articles, but I agree with their titles!)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I remember when I realized I just didn't earn a Ewing F4 run, didn't work hard enough for it.
god I fucking loved that moment
Empyre is a top 10 comic and Ewing is a master of superheroics and Ben Grimm is the fucking best.
Slott probably wrote that tbqh.
Although this is possible, I thought Slott only handled story and overall plotting. Ewing did the nitty gritty.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Thing dialogue I think would go to Slott given his time with the character past and present.
Maybe, but that's a good amount of FF scenes and the problem is that they interact with other characters in a way that 100% does not seem like Slott writing. Granted, co-writing is different from solo, but still the voices don't hit the same.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
New month. New series of Power Rangers. This was more of an recap of what happened to the previous series than anything.
So the comic is trying to throw me off the chance of the new Green Ranger being Drakkon, but I'm not convinced with it yet. I hope it's not the end of the Dark Rangers though. Also, the more I see it, the more I think they're setting up the reason why Billy's actor left the show. This may well be the gorunds for his expulsion.

We're now getting a good idea on the Black Widow situation.
As far as traps go, this is pretty good. It's also unsatisfactory for those who want her to suffer, which I can see why Red Guardian wanted her dead instead. But he should know better that it wouldn't be so easy to kill her off, even losing her memories. And you all know how badly things go when that person gets her memories back. PS, I'm loving the banter between Hawkeye and Winter Soldier, explaining why the former just isn't a good fit for espionage.

List:

Wonder Woman #766
The Magnificent Ms. Marvel #16
The Transformers #24
The Power Rangers #1
G! Joe #10

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Is it Knull time yet?

Also, wait, wait wait, there are two issues of Spider-man this week?
I must have been a good boy to earn such a wonderous gift.

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who can find some good used books through Half-Priced Books...

Half Price Books

New and Used Books, Textbooks, Music and Movies

5cu28Ki.png

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
How does the monarchy work in Japan?
Like a lot of modern countries that had monarchies, the emperor is largely just a figurehead. It's still bullshit, because the royal family gets to live in the palace and be super elites for nothing, though. It's also still super backwards (I mean, obviously, since its roots are in imperialism). They won't allow for a woman to take the throne, even though Japan had a number of reigning empresses historically. The last emperor, Akihito had to go through a bunch of bullshit in order to be allowed to abdicate the throne. It's dumb.

The palace is nice to walk around, though!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, this is treason right in front of mars people. Mars is just a figurehead, the shadow council rules all. I hear they draw sonic fan manga from the blood of babies. They don't even like comics.
Its true, its all true.
They made me read comics!
I didn't want to, but they said that Countdown was better than 52!
Don't believe their lies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of modern countries that had monarchies, the emperor is largely just a figurehead. It's still bullshit, because the royal family gets to live in the palace and be super elites for nothing, though. It's also still super backwards (I mean, obviously, since its roots are in imperialism). They won't allow for a woman to take the throne, even though Japan had a number of reigning empresses historically. The last emperor, Akihito had to go through a bunch of bullshit in order to be allowed to abdicate the throne. It's dumb.

The palace is nice to walk around, though!
I guess what I meant was how does the line of succession work in Japan. Like, is it tied to family lines like most other monarchy?

Does China have an Emperor still?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
NGL I'm kinda tired of the Horny Police takes. I can't wait until we bounce back to calling people prudes and telling people to chill tf out over relatively benign stuff.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Comic of the Year 2020 Nominations Reading #1
Pulp (Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips, and Jacob Phillips, 1 vol.)
VDnD2Xk.jpg

You know what you're getting when you grab a Brubaker/Phillips book: something fucking great. Pulp fits right in with their recent work on Criminal (or Criminal adjacent). People with certain needs and proclivities find themselves pushed into crime. It works well every time, because Brubaker is able to write them relatably while Sean Phillips gives them humanity by expressing their faces, memories, and journey. All I knew about this comic was that I had to read it, because it's Brubaker/Phillips, but I didn't know what to expect beyond that. I figured it was a western, which sounded different, but that's planted in the past through great flashbacks for our former cowboy and bandit. The story is largely about him being pushed to the brink and forced back into crime for one last big score.

Brubaker loves making these characters, and I love reading about them. A guy with a former life of crime who turned to comics and was hung out to dry by the industry he put his life into. It makes sense he'd be pushed back to what he knew could pay the rent. The setting of 1930s New York, New York with flashbacks to the late 1800s with material to fill western pulp comics worked out really well. While it feels new, it doesn't feel out of place or out of comfort for Brubaker. Most of the characters besides our aging protagonist don't get much spotlight, but that works out all right. It's his story, anyhow. He's interesting, and we get to spend a lot of time inside his head thanks to that focus. While you might feel like you can guess how criminal stories always end up, I liked how this one tied together. The last moments of the book are super hype. Fuck nazis. That's all I'll say on that.

mLY6V7P.png

The artist team should now be familiar if you're following the new Criminal, My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies, or Kill or Be Killed. Sean's son, Jacob, has taken up coloring duties. While he's a bit less grounded than former colorists of the Brubaker/Phillips comics, that elevates a number of scenes with a sort of ethereal quality. It adds a dimension of aberration to memories and scenes with great drama or action. Sean's work here is great like always. What more can you really say about a legendary artist late in the game with years of experience? He absolutely doesn't disappoint. The pages where New York and the old west are juxtaposed clearly, it's apparent just how perfectly each setting comes to life through the hands of father and son Phillips.

It's a short read, so it's pretty hard to avoid recommending this. It's also strongly anti-facist, which I imagine only felt more powerful closer to its release date. Again, fuck nazis.

#1 Pulp (nominated by shacklesmcgee)

Status
Not open for further replies.